Start by marking “How to Eat Like a Child: And Other Lessons in Not Being a Grown-up” as Want to Read:
How to Eat Like a Child: And Other Lessons in Not Being a Grown-up

How to Eat Like a Child: And Other Lessons in Not Being a Grown-up

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Universal and timeless, Delia Ephron's How to Eat Like a Child is a delightful revisiting of the joys -- and tricky ploys -- of childhood. Made into a children's television special and a musical theater revue performed across the country each year, How to Eat Like a Child offers advice beyond the artful etiquette of food consumption. Ephron also teaches us "How to Laugh Hy...more
Published October 23rd 2001 by Harper Perennial (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about How to Eat Like a Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Eat Like a Child

Shazza Maddog
I have my very own copy of this book. I had been looking for it for literally decades, and I found a copy, and snatched it up and ran off laughing gleefully.

This is what you read when you have siblings. And you point and laugh, because you recognize yourself. Or your sibling. Absolutely. Perfectly.
Jenn Forte
When I first read this book as a child, I thought at the time it was a hilarious, fun book with lots of "how not to" information in it. It was one of the books I returned to repeatedly because of how much I enjoyed it.

I hadn't seen this book in probably 25 years when it crossed my path again today. I picked it up and began turning pages out of nostalgia and got sucked into reading the entire book all over again! I didn't expect it, but the book is even funnier now that I'm an adult with kids of...more
Phyllis
Sep 11, 2007 Phyllis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids who need a laugh
This book got me through a hospital stay in 4th grade! I can't say enough good things about it because of that. I read it and re-read it between diagnostic tests, IVs, GI intubations, and after surgery. It was funny without being too gross. I see it's been made into a musical! Shows how behind-the-times I am. Anyway, thanks to Ephron and Koren for making this book.
Jamie
This book took me back to my childhood. Delia Ephron (sister of Nora Ephron) is spot on! The book is a collections of anecdotes from childhood and teaches the reader how a child should (or in reality does) behave. It is so true it is uncanny.

My favourite sections include "Being sent to your room" and "Caring for Pets."
Jeni
This book should have been entitled ‘How to be an Obnoxious Child’. Delia Ehpron is a very good observer, but I didn’t think it was particularly humorous. All of the stories describe bad behaviors. This might make a good book for new parents so they won’t be shocked at some of the current children behaviors.
Mrsgaskell
This little book was a fun and nostalgic read that brought smiles to my face and made me chuckle more than once. I reconnected with the child from my past who used to pour ketchup into her mashed potatoes and stir until they turned pink :) This was a lovely little day-brightener from a fellow bookcrosser.
Lisa
I have an original edition from 1978 and have shared it with my 3 children (23,20,16) as soon as they reached an appropriate age. I remember using a passage for a college speech class as well. This is one of my all time favorites and I reach for it it every now and then when I need a quick chuckle.
Claire
I love this book. Growing up, my parents owned this and I used to read it as a kid and crack up. So I just got it for my birthday and am reading it again for the first time in at least 15 years - As an adult, I think the book is even better! I love the illustrations.
Anne
Required reading for all the children in your life, old and young. If you are young, you will aspire to all the appropriate (read inappropriate) behavior outlined in its pages. If you are old, its not too late to shoot milk out of your nose (on purpose).
Kyla
Not a kids book, despite appearances, but a straight into the head of kids books. All the little things like making crank phone calls and artfully bugging your sister are here, just as you remember them. Diverting.
Kristen
Aug 20, 2011 Kristen marked it as to-read
I've never read this one, but was in the play in community theater as a child and loved it! Didn't realize it was Delia Ephron who wrote it, but now I can't wait to read it!!
Wawa
كتاب خفيف يتكلم عن سلوكيات الاطفال
ومن يريد ان يصبح طفلا مجددًا يقرأ الكتاب. xD
2/5 لانه كان مملا بالنسبة لي ، ربما لان طفولتهم لا تشبه طفولتنا =|
Emily
Jun 11, 2007 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: other kids like me
While the illustrations are to be desired, my stomach hurt so bad after reading this that I have to recommend it. It's so true it's creepy.
Marisa
Read this on vacation a couple of months ago. Very funny, not exactly a kids' book. More like a grown-up's version of a kid's life...
Monica
I read this book as a young girl and I've loved it ever since! It is hilarious, especially if you love dry humor!
Robin
Aug 03, 2008 Robin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like subtle humor
Re-reading this one now as an adult I realize that I liked it more when I was a child! Still fun to read again, though!
Jan
Aug 10, 2008 Jan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jan by: Greg Nathanson
My brother in law Greg gave me this book and I love love love it! It kind of changed my life.....
Dave
One of my all time favorites! A great reminder of how we should approach life.
Sophia
If my kids acted like this i would put them up for sale on ebay...
Gabrielle
Good possibility for directing at Blanchet this spring.
Avery
Mostly true, funny, but some bad words...... :(
Sophia
omg i remember doing this in 7th grade!
April Ziegler
Cute book. Quick read.
Kimberly Dana
A cult classic!!!
Camille
Camille marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
MaryJo
MaryJo marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • Sister of the Bride (First Love, #4)
  • Naya Nuki: Shoshone Girl Who Ran
  • Twisted Tales from Shakespeare
  • Last Chapter and Worse
  • Akbar and Jeff's Guide to Life
  • The Seven Lady Godivas
  • Dave Barry's Bad Habits: A 100% Fact-Free Book
  • Miserly Moms: Living Well on Less in a Tough Economy
  • Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond
  • His Code Name Was The Fox: A Foxtrot Collection
  • Fish Whistle: Commentaries, Uncommentaries, and Vulgar Excesses
  • Please Don't Eat the Daisies
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • How to Live with a Neurotic Dog
  • Deeper Thoughts: All New, All Crispy
  • Absolute Honour
  • Da Brudderhood of Zeeba Zeeba Eata: A Pearls Before Swine Collection
Delia G. Ephron (July 12, 1944) is a screenwriter, author, and producer. She is the sister of Nora Ephron, Amy Ephron, and Hallie Ephron; their parents were screenwriters Henry and Phoebe Ephron. She has written several children's books.

She coauthored the play "Love, Loss, and What I Wore" (based on the book by Ilene Beckerman) with her sister, Nora, and it has played to sold out audiences in Can...more
More about Delia Ephron...
Sister Mother Husband Dog: Etc. The Lion is In Frannie in Pieces The Girl with the Mermaid Hair Hanging Up