Start by marking “How to Eat Like a Child: And Other Lessons in Not Being a Grown-up” as Want to Read:
How to Eat Like a Child: And Other Lessons in Not Being a Grown-up

How to Eat Like a Child: And Other Lessons in Not Being a Grown-up

Universal and timeless, Delia Ephron's How to Eat Like a Child is a delightful revisiting of the joys -- and tricky ploys -- of childhood. Made into a children's television special and a musical theater revue performed across the country each year, How to Eat Like a Child offers advice beyond the artful etiquette of food consumption. Ephron also teaches us "How to Laugh Hy ...more
Published October 23rd 2001 by Harper Perennial (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about How to Eat Like a Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Eat Like a Child

Jenn Forte
Nov 21, 2012 Jenn Forte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first read this book as a child, I thought at the time it was a hilarious, fun book with lots of "how not to" information in it. It was one of the books I returned to repeatedly because of how much I enjoyed it.

I hadn't seen this book in probably 25 years when it crossed my path again today. I picked it up and began turning pages out of nostalgia and got sucked into reading the entire book all over again! I didn't expect it, but the book is even funnier now that I'm an adult with kids of
Emily
Jun 11, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: other kids like me
While the illustrations are to be desired, my stomach hurt so bad after reading this that I have to recommend it. It's so true it's creepy.
Jody
Mar 02, 2017 Jody rated it really liked it
Cute and funny book.
Robyn
May 20, 2015 Robyn rated it it was amazing
My parents kept this book on the shelf, & I discovered it when I was in high school. I also estimated on the date I read it, since I know I read it more than once. I even shared it with one of my teachers in high school, who read the book out loud to the class for some comic relief from our "serious" studies.

I first thought, because of the title, that it was actually a how-to manual, literally about eating. To my surprise, it's actually about many "typical" situations that arise during child
Jamie
Jun 14, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it
This book took me back to my childhood. Delia Ephron (sister of Nora Ephron) is spot on! The book is a collections of anecdotes from childhood and teaches the reader how a child should (or in reality does) behave. It is so true it is uncanny.

My favourite sections include "Being sent to your room" and "Caring for Pets."
Lisa
Sep 25, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have an original edition from 1978 and have shared it with my 3 children (23,20,16) as soon as they reached an appropriate age. I remember using a passage for a college speech class as well. This is one of my all time favorites and I reach for it it every now and then when I need a quick chuckle.
Phyllis
Sep 11, 2007 Phyllis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids who need a laugh
This book got me through a hospital stay in 4th grade! I can't say enough good things about it because of that. I read it and re-read it between diagnostic tests, IVs, GI intubations, and after surgery. It was funny without being too gross. I see it's been made into a musical! Shows how behind-the-times I am. Anyway, thanks to Ephron and Koren for making this book.
Mrsgaskell
Dec 12, 2010 Mrsgaskell rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing, 8-star
This little book was a fun and nostalgic read that brought smiles to my face and made me chuckle more than once. I reconnected with the child from my past who used to pour ketchup into her mashed potatoes and stir until they turned pink :) This was a lovely little day-brightener from a fellow bookcrosser.
Shazza Maddog
Feb 28, 2014 Shazza Maddog rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I have my very own copy of this book. I had been looking for it for literally decades, and I found a copy, and snatched it up and ran off laughing gleefully.

This is what you read when you have siblings. And you point and laugh, because you recognize yourself. Or your sibling. Absolutely. Perfectly.
Jeni
Jul 31, 2013 Jeni rated it it was ok
This book should have been entitled ‘How to be an Obnoxious Child’. Delia Ehpron is a very good observer, but I didn’t think it was particularly humorous. All of the stories describe bad behaviors. This might make a good book for new parents so they won’t be shocked at some of the current children behaviors.
Claire
Sep 12, 2007 Claire rated it it was amazing
Shelves: all-time-faves
I love this book. Growing up, my parents owned this and I used to read it as a kid and crack up. So I just got it for my birthday and am reading it again for the first time in at least 15 years - As an adult, I think the book is even better! I love the illustrations.
Kyla
Jan 20, 2009 Kyla rated it really liked it
Not a kids book, despite appearances, but a straight into the head of kids books. All the little things like making crank phone calls and artfully bugging your sister are here, just as you remember them. Diverting.
Anne
Jan 07, 2011 Anne rated it it was amazing
Required reading for all the children in your life, old and young. If you are young, you will aspire to all the appropriate (read inappropriate) behavior outlined in its pages. If you are old, its not too late to shoot milk out of your nose (on purpose).
April Ziegler
Mar 01, 2012 April Ziegler rated it it was ok
Cute book. Quick read.
Gabrielle
Good possibility for directing at Blanchet this spring.
Monica
Aug 31, 2009 Monica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I read this book as a young girl and I've loved it ever since! It is hilarious, especially if you love dry humor!
Jan
Aug 10, 2008 Jan rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jan by: Greg Nathanson
My brother in law Greg gave me this book and I love love love it! It kind of changed my life.....
Kimberly Dana
May 14, 2012 Kimberly Dana rated it it was amazing
A cult classic!!!
Robin
Aug 03, 2008 Robin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who like subtle humor
Re-reading this one now as an adult I realize that I liked it more when I was a child! Still fun to read again, though!
Sophia
Dec 20, 2011 Sophia rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids-books, 2011
If my kids acted like this i would put them up for sale on ebay...
Wawa
Jun 17, 2013 Wawa rated it it was ok
كتاب خفيف يتكلم عن سلوكيات الاطفال
ومن يريد ان يصبح طفلا مجددًا يقرأ الكتاب. xD
2/5 لانه كان مملا بالنسبة لي ، ربما لان طفولتهم لا تشبه طفولتنا =|
Dave
Mar 06, 2012 Dave rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorites! A great reminder of how we should approach life.
Errol Mortland
Jun 20, 2015 Errol Mortland rated it liked it
I really thought I was going to like this more than I did. It passes the time.
Sophia
Dec 20, 2011 Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, plays
omg i remember doing this in 7th grade!
Beverly
I didn't think it was all that funny; just a few places. But I recognized many of the situations in my own families.
Phyllis
Jan 24, 2015 Phyllis rated it liked it
this is a cute book written in the late 1970's. Told from a child's perspective on how to act like a child form eating, riding in a car, staying up late to having a birthday party.
Marisa
Sep 13, 2007 Marisa rated it really liked it
Read this on vacation a couple of months ago. Very funny, not exactly a kids' book. More like a grown-up's version of a kid's life...
Marissa
Dec 25, 2015 Marissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found the script to my 5th grade play. Didn't realize I still knew all the songs, but there they are now, stuck in my head.
Kristen
Aug 20, 2011 Kristen marked it as to-read
I've never read this one, but was in the play in community theater as a child and loved it! Didn't realize it was Delia Ephron who wrote it, but now I can't wait to read it!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • New Kid in Town
  • Sister of the Bride (First Love, #4)
  • Mommy Knows Worst: Highlights from the Golden Age of Bad Parenting Advice
  • Baby Blues 08: One More and We're Outnumbered!
  • Naya Nuki: Shoshone Girl Who Ran
  • The Factory Voice
  • The Sexually Confident Wife: Connecting with Your Husband Mind Body Heart Spirit
  • It Must Be Nice to Be Little (For Better or For Worse, #3)
  • Time Out for Happiness
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You
  • Da Brudderhood of Zeeba Zeeba Eata: A Pearls Before Swine Collection
  • Twisted Tales from Shakespeare
  • The Prairie Bridesmaid
Bestselling author and screenwriter Delia Ephron's most recent novel is Siracusa. Her other novels include The Lion Is In and Hanging Up. She has written humor books for all ages, including How to Eat Like a Child and Do I Have to Say Hello?; and nonfiction, most recently Sister Mother Husband Dog (etc.). Her films include You’ve Got Mail, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Hanging Up (based o ...more
More about Delia Ephron...