Start by marking “Sleeping Beauty” as Want to Read:
Sleeping Beauty

Sleeping Beauty

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  222 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The story of the beautiful princess who sleeps for a hundred years has captured the imaginations of children for an even longer period of time. How could everyone in a castle--even the flies on the walls--sleep for a century and then wake up? This magical, beautifully illustrated tale begins when the king excludes the most difficult fairy of the kingdom from a feast celebr...more
Board Books, 22 pages
Published January 10th 2007 by HarperFestival (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping Beauty

Laura V.
Yo no sé mucho de princesas, pero si te despiertas con alguien encima tuyo, besándote, y no lo habías visto nunca en tu cochina vida, no lo miras con una "mirada llena de amor", sino que lo golpeas, gritas y corres!
Miriam
Your basic Brothers Grimm version of Sleeping Beauty, with very nice illustrations from Le Cain, unobtrusively influenced by early Renaissance painting.
Yonaily
Sigo imaginando al príncipe a punto de besar a la bella durmiente y después cayendo desmayado al percibir el olor de su boca. No hay nada romántico en poner tus labios en los de una chica que ha estado inconsciente por 100 años. Es asqueroso, ugh.

No me parece correcto que la princesa haya pensado que era dulce despertarse con un desconocido encima de ella. Por último, pienso que fue un exageración que la princesa estuviera dormida por 100 años. ¿Es que el hada no le puso quitar un cero a 100?
Ann
This is an adaptation of the Grimm version of the Sleeping Beauty fairytale. And, in outline, etc., it stays pretty accurate. But, this book is a not-so-scary version of the tale.

(for example, instead of the princes dying in the briar, they simply “fail”). And the pictures are quite colorful and sweet.

While I wasn’t really blown away by either the text or the illustrations, it is a nice alternative for those who may wish to know the Grimm tale better but aren’t quite yet ready for some of the “g...more
Meltha
The lovely, late Gothic/early Renaissance style drawings resemble illuminated manuscripts. While the story is the same one from the brothers Grimm, the illustrations do add to the story. The only problems I had with this and that kept it from being a 5-star are that the book is a tad bit small, which in turn makes the pictures a little too small, and oddly there is no image of the wedding of the prince and princess, which seems like it would be an obvious choice for a particularly grand picture....more
Drew Graham
A princess is cursed by an offended evil fairy to fall into a deathlike sleep for 100 years, and when the curse is fulfilled, it takes the kiss of a curious prince to break the spell.

My Disney source material read-through has led me to Sleeping Beauty, and after reading a book based on Perrault's pre-Grimm telling, I picked up this edition, reportedly the Grimm version. It was the basic story you expect from Sleeping Beauty, which very few variations. It was direct and simple in the storytelling...more
Gladys
Judging from the cover, I thought it out to be a fairy tale and based my conclusions from other obvious reasons like the author being the Brothers Grimm. As I was reading it, couldn’t help but fall in love with the pictures. Everything was beautiful, to the amount of detail each picture had… Even the borders around the text pages, the paintings, they all seem to fit “fairy tale” perfectly. It all came together and added the romance to the setting and plot. This book is probably one that I would...more
Pamela ☼where's my aspirin☼ Tee
This a sweet, gentle retelling of the classic tale of Sleeping Beauty. There is nothing scary in this book; no scary witch or fairy, nor any great and terrible battle at the end. Instead the prince just enters the castle because essentially the clock has run out and the thorns have transitioned to fragrant flowers. Adults might find this out of step with the Disney version that we are all familiar with, but very young children are going to appreciate this gentler version as they are really all a...more
Santiago
¿Pureza o madurez?
Creo que La Bella Durmiente tiene esos temas a flote permanentemente, es la historia de una niña que a sus 15 años caerá dormida y eso es inevitable, tan inevitable como la pubertad (cosa que también llega por esa edad).
En este cuento se tocan muchos detalles como lo que le pasa a las personas (y animales) del castillo, quienes deben dormir por 100 años.
Desde mi opinión personal es un buen cuento, un cuento que puede ser un poco fuerte para niños pequeños ya que se habla de cad...more
Bells
А вот эта история просто заставила меня десять раз прочесть несколько предложений.
Действительно было ооочень поразительно читать все это, зная с детства лишь такую нежную историю Диснея.
Конечно, что они курили вовремя написания - остается тайной, но однако пятерку за это они заслужили честно!
Mary
This is the original story of Sleeping Beauty told in French. It is eloquently written, with lovely pictures and a memory game at the end of the story. Great for young children or those learning French.
The Library Lady
A charming telling of the classic tale. The wicked fairy is mildly scary at the christening, but not as scary as, say, the version by a certain mouse symboled company(!)and there is no frightening sequence in the woods with the prince. The art is nicely detailed--not Jan Brett elaborate, but with lots to look at and a childlike quality that is very appealing. The telling uses a good deal of language drawn from the original tale, but an older preschooler old enough to sit through a Mouse company...more
A classic retelling of Sleeping Beauty. The bad fairy that curses Sleeping Beauty is just scary enough to seem terrible without actually being too frightening for young readers. The pictures are soft and subdued, and while I find them a lovely compliment to the story, they will work best for one-on-one readings, not whole group read alouds.

You know those little girls that are always clamoring for princess books? I really wish that this book had a bit more pink and shiny to appeal to them. As it...more
The classic version of sleeping beauty told by the grimm brothers.
David Amaral
Las películas de Disney >>>>> los cuentos.
Cassandra Ball
I really enjoyed this traditional fiction and twist on Sleeping Beauty. I have always liked the story of Sleeping Beauy so reading this with a slight twist has been fun. Although, to me the beginning the authro really played everything up and then let the prince just waltz right in and save everyone. I wasn't really too fond of the ending because the author made it way too easy for the prince in my opinion. However, I think that children would really enjoy reading this novel.
Miri
Nothing very special. The actual Grimm version of this fairy tale is significantly less exciting than the Disney version—the unnamed princess has actually just turned fifteen, not sixteen, and many princes die try to rescue her until one comes along when the hundred years is about to be up, and the thorns around the castle just let him walk right in. The illustrations are a little bland, too.
Aurora  Fitzrovia
Dornröschen <3
Allerdings konnte ich mich an den Anfang mit dem Frosch nicht erinnern und irgendwie hatte ich das Märchen etwas ausführlicher/detaillierter in Erinnerung.

Der Arme und der Reiche
Das kannte ich bisher nicht, und war auch nicht so meins, könnte so auch glatt in der Bibel als Gleichnis (?) stehen...

Das Gesindehaus
Das war mir auch nicht bekannt und gefällt mir nicht.
Yas
Por sorprendente que parezca, me gusto el cuento O: y eso que odio la película xd.
Ashley Whiteley
I don't know if I would read this book to a young audience. It is a little too mature for them. It might even scare them. It does not follow the typical sleeping beauty in all respects. There are definitely wild parts that you would not expect. But it is a very interesting book.
Daniel
Well... if you like fairy tales, nothing's wrong with this. Might be especially for children.
However, the narrator always says "Sneewittchen". But I suppose this might be, because of the advertised dialect of some tales - who knows...
Melissa
Interesting differences between the real story and the Disney one I grew up with. I prefer Disney's version although there were some things I liked better in the real tale.
Elaine
Traditional Fantasy
The illustrations are very interesting! This is a version of "Sleeping Beauty." The whole castle falls asleep instead of just the girl.
Staci
The Grimm Brothers' version of Sleeping Beauty; like all Grimm fairy tales, not as nice and romantic as Disney's version.
Bree
Notes:
better than Trina Schart Hyman's version -- less violent
still looking for a version of S.B. we LOVE
Mckinley
Lovely illustrations in a medieval style to accompany a simple telling of Sleeping Beauty.
Kirei
Feb 02, 2008 Kirei rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: younger-kids
Gorgeous Pictures. This is the story also known as "Sleeping Beauty."
Glenn Liddell
Some of the finest illustrations in any storybook ever.
Theresa
a short retelling if the traditional story
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Jacob Ludwig Karl Grimm, German philologist, jurist and mythologist, was born at Hanau, in Hesse-Kassel (or Hesse-Cassel). He is best known as the discoverer of Grimm's Law, the author of the monumental German Dictionary, his Deutsche Mythologie and more popularly, with his brother Wilhelm, as one of the Brothers Grimm, as the editor of Grimm's Fairy Tales.

(From Wikipedia.)

More about Jacob Grimm...
The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library) The Annotated Brothers Grimm (Annotated Books) The Complete Fairy Tales of Brothers Grimm, Volume 1 Grimm's Grimmest Household Stories by the Brothers Grimm