Start by marking “Roar of a Snore” as Want to Read:
Roar of a Snore

Roar of a Snore

Little ones can?t sleep? Amuse them with the funny rhyme of this bedtime charmer. All the Huffles are fast asleep, except for Jack. Someone is snoring! Just who is making this racket? It must be Mama Gwyn. But when Jack wakes her . . . the snore roars on! And so it goes with Baby Sue, the twins, Papa Ben, even the farm animals. At last, the Huffles follow their ears toward ...more
Published June 12th 2008 by Puffin (first published July 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Roar of a Snore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Roar of a Snore

Molly Willaert
Nov 03, 2014 Molly Willaert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
The Roar of a Snore is about a young boy who can't sleep. This quick moving story has jack waking everyone in his house, in an effort to make the snoring stop. As he wakes each sleeping family member they join his hunt to find the snore maker! They trudge through the house and on to the porch, out to the barn and wake all the animals. In the end they find a small lost kitten sleeping in the hay loft of the bard snoring. Just as they are about to wake him, the family decides to let him rest. The ...more
Katie
Jun 09, 2014 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
Summary: This book is super cute. Its about a family, all fast asleep except for Jack. Jack is being kept awake by someone or something snoring loudly. He decides to get up and investigate the snoring. As he investigates each new person or animal they wake up and join in on the search. When everyone finally finds the source of the snoring, they all join in and snore happily ever after (except for the neighbors).

Evaluation: Great for younger grades it builds rhyming skills, community, and imagin
Michelle McBeth
SUMMARY: All of the Huffle family is asleep except for Jack. He hears a noise. It is an unbelievably loud snore. He sets out to investigate where the noise is coming from. He awakens one snoring family member after another, but the snore snores on. Each family member joins his quest until they end up in the barn and find the snore coming from a tiny little kitten.

ILLUSTRATIONS: The illustrations were created with acrylic paint. They are lush with muted colors making this a nice calming bedtime s
Emily Petering
This book is very cute. Its all about a family and their hunt to find whomever or whatever is snoring. The author used rhyming text, which allowed the whole book to flow together. I thought it was a great book because it built in anticipation. It also taught a lesson of things not always ending up the way you think they will. The illustrations were very unique! The illustrated made simple drawings but they filled the whole page and allowed the reader to enter the story.

I would use this book in
Lydia
Jul 17, 2010 Lydia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
That cat's snore reminds me of my dad.
Nov 11, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this book, and I thought the story line was really neat how it went from character to charater trying to figure out who was making the roar of a snore. The illustrations were great, along with the awesome words that were used like, "mighty, clamorous,thundering, ear-splitting." I would reccommend this book for parents to read to their children who are about ages 4-6.

From School Library Journal
Starred Review. PreS–The sky was dark. The stars were bright. Each Huffle fast asleep
Emily Calzi
Feb 06, 2013 Emily Calzi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
"Roar of a Snore" by Marsha D. Arnold is a humorous, rhyming tale of a young boy Jack who has trouble falling asleep one night because of "a thunderous, ear-splitting, ROAR of a SNORE." He set out searching to find the culprit, but it was not his dog Blue, Mama Gwyn, the Huffle twins, or even the animals in the barn. Who could it be? After all this searching they finally come upon the least expecting culprit of this "Roar of a Snore." The illustrations by Pierre Pratt do a great job in supportin ...more
Amy Forrester
Dec 27, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Huffle family is fast asleep in their farm house with the stars shining bright in the night sky, except Jack. He tosses and turns because he can hear a noise that rocks the floor and shakes the door. He hears a clamorous, thundering, ear-splitting snore! Jack gets out of bed and wakes up each of his family members hoping to stop the snore. Soon his entire family, from Papa Ben to Sweet Baby Sue, the dog and the Huffles twins too, have joined Jack on his hunt for the source of the snore. They ...more
Shel
Mar 02, 2009 Shel rated it liked it
Arnold, M.D. (2006). Roar of a Snore. New York: Dial Books for Young Readers.

2004021475

In the night, Jack has trouble sleeping because the sound of somebody snoring. He begins looking for the offending snorer by waking up each member of his family.

Roar of a Snore uses unpredictable rhyme to tell the story. While the rhyme is inconsistent, it does not feel forced, which is high praise.

The illustrations include a lot of darker tones, to portray nighttime. The colors are not threatening though and
Jamie
Cute book about someone snoring. A little boy can't sleep because he hears a "roar of a snore". He wakes up people and creatures to try to find the snorer and still the snore goes on. They finally find the "culprit" but can't wake him up, so they all fall asleep together. Cute book, loose rhyme. Might read again to a kid who thinks snoring is funny. Could be fun to use different sound effects for the different snores (if you're creative like that).
Yarima Morfin
Dec 05, 2014 Yarima Morfin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What do you do when you hear a SNOORREEEE so loud? Well, you go in search for it. Follows Blue's adventure in dinging out who exactly is snoring so loud. Could it be father, mother, sister, pets? The one you think it might be, its not! The illustrations will make you laugh, they have a lot of goofy facial expressions. It a good book to read to have a good laugh about. I think children would enjoy this a lot.
Katie Chadwick
The lost kitten at the end truly made this story great. I liked that one by one we meet the family and how each person snores. If I read this book aloud to my class I would have them take guesses on who or what is making the roar of a snore at the beginning. Even at the end of the book it leaves room for another story with now Molly Olsen hearing a snore.
Jennifer Velez
"Roar of a Snore" is about a boy named Jack that was the only one not sleeping in his house, he kept hearing a snore and it didn't let him go to sleep. He went searching to see who was snoring so loud and he first thought it was his dog, but it wasn't him. He and his dog went searching to see who was snoring so loud, the whole family was awake and they could still hear the snore. When they found who it was that is was snoring they were very surprised. It was a a little kitty, it was sleeping on ...more
Alice
Dec 04, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-50-stars
3.5 Stars There is a roar of a snore in the house but it isn't the dog, or the baby, or grandma, or dad or the twins, it is a tiny baby cat in the barn.

So they all hunker down with the cat and snored the night away.......except now for the poor neighbors... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!
Romelle
A fun rhyming picture book about a mysterious snore. One after the other, family members desperately search for the roar of a snore. The format is accumulative in that family members' names are repeated each time someone wakes up and joins the search. It can get tiring after the 11 characters are introduced (more so for the reader than the listener). Despite that, I loved Marsha Diane Arnold's word choice and luscious language. Loved the refrain, "the snore still roared," the alliteration, asson ...more
Jenn Swanson
Jun 29, 2016 Jenn Swanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both myself and my daughter enjoyed this story of a kid trying to figure out the source of the snore that is keeping him awake so he can go to sleep. Would recommend.
Rachael
"Roar of a Snore" is about a boy who is awaken by a loud and roaring snore. He rummages through the house and wakes everyone up to see where it is coming from. The family can't find the source, so they followed the noise to the barn. As they came up to a haystack, they found a little kitten curled up in a ball sleeping with a loud and roaring snore. The family was admired, so they all curled up beside the kitten and went to sleep. This book had beautiful paintings throughout each page. It had a ...more
Stacy Natal
Cute repetition book with good potential if you have a read aloud reader that has a great fake snore. Kids enjoy discovering the source of the snore.
Karen
Aug 31, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun cumulative, rhyming story. The identity of the snorer is very funny (and cute). I thought this book deserved better illustrations, though.
Julia
Dec 11, 2014 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-cole
The text is a bit Seuss-like. Huffles... and the syncopation of the lists of family names. It's really fun to read aloud.
SarahLynn Camper
This book is such a fun bedtime book, with all the silly snores. It is a perfect silly bedtime story.
Ramanda Flannery
Aug 31, 2011 Ramanda Flannery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This book is about a little boy who is wide awake while the rest of his family is fast asleep. He is kept awake by a Roar of a Snore! He wakes up each family member one at a time to see if they are the one's making the noise.They finally find that the source of the snore is a tiny kitten and they all curl up next to him in the barn and fall asleep.
This book was very cute, my son loved it so much he made me read it three times. I think this book is a very good problem solving book. It shows kids
Becky
Rhyming, strange noises, a wonderful story line... all reasons to check out this wonderful book.
Robin Raines-Bond
Jan 17, 2015 Robin Raines-Bond rated it really liked it
This book is just a fun adventure to find where the snore is coming from. Read it and enjoy.
Pamela
Jan 03, 2011 Pamela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: children-reads
"The Roar of a Snore" by Marsha Diane Arnold was a good book, and rather funny. It's about a little boy who can't sleep because he hears a "roar of a snore." He wakes up everyone in the house, even the dog. You won't believe who they find giving off the "roar of a snore." Your child will love it.
As a parent, I enjoyed reading this book to my daughter. It was very amusing, and, even though she is not able to read along, she could still follow the pictures illustrated by Pierre Pratt. They were ve
Charlotte
May 19, 2016 Charlotte rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not like this book because of the snoring and I don't snore.
Ashley
Feb 27, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-kid-books
We like this book because there is a character named Josie Jo. :-)
Emily Bernd
A funny story with a creative story line. I love the rhyming, it would be great in kindergarten.
Jasmine Albrecht
Mar 22, 2016 Jasmine Albrecht rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
My nephew loved this delightful story. Especially after his grandpa had woken him up with loud snoring.
Carolyn
Apr 20, 2015 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So fun to read - and my toddlers love it!
  • The Squeaky Door
  • Raindrop, Plop!
  • Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • The Mine-O-Saur
  • Chengdu Could Not, Would Not, Fall Asleep
  • Everybody Sleeps (But Not Fred)
  • Old Mother Hubbard
  • Big Chickens
  • In a Blue Room
  • Dirty Joe, the Pirate: A True Story
  • Great Monster Hunt
  • A Balloon for Isabel
  • The Great Gracie Chase - Stop That Dog!
  • Pigs to the Rescue