Start by marking “This Is the Farmer” as Want to Read:
This Is the Farmer

This Is the Farmer

Just right for toddlers, an appealing book in which each action propels the next, from a farmer kissing his wife, who then pats the dog, to a cat, a mouse, geese, and a donkey....There's a lot to discover and discuss in these expansive, beautifully observed illustrations.
Published May 31st 1994 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about This Is the Farmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is the Farmer

Click, Clack, Moo by Doreen CroninBig Red Barn by Margaret Wise BrownBarnyard Dance by Sandra BoyntonFooling Ewe by Mike DemersStar of Wonder by Paige W. Pendleton
Farmyard Fun
18th out of 140 books — 62 voters
Fishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Fetch by Adam Glendon SidwellMr. Brown Can Moo! Can You? by Dr. Seuss
Toddlers Ages 1-3
25th out of 155 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

May 07, 2015 Kathryn rated it liked it
If you're looking for a glimpse into the activities on the farm this probably isn't the best book (aside from milking the cow, we didn't really see any "farming" going on) but it's a nice enough book for the toddler age group especially if ones focus is on the animals themselves. It is a small farm and the animals seem well cared for, which I appreciated.
Jul 22, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Great beginner book and fun for preschoolers too! The bright colorful pictures have so much going on in them, it kept all my children engaged and interested. Farm animals are always a favorite for making sounds in our family and this book added to that enjoyment. I liked the simple verbiage that accompanied the pictures and it was a book my 5 yr old enjoys reading to his younger brothers. A solid book about a farmer and his animals.
Jul 10, 2008 Becky rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids age 2 and up
Shelves: children-and-ya
Nancy Tafuri is the author/illustrator of I Love You, Little One, which is one of my favorite board books for its lovely, sensitive text and beautifully detailed illustrations.

This Is the Farmer is a lot more simple than I Love You, Little One, but still very good in its own right. The illustrations are bolder -- each figure is less detailed than in I Love You, Little One, where Ms. Tafuri painstakingly and beautifully detailed each hair in a rabbit's coat -- but each spread overall carries a lo
Lindsey Feldpausch
Jan 31, 2013 Lindsey Feldpausch rated it it was amazing
Delightful book to read before going to the petting zoo! I gave it 5 stars because it would be wonderful to use for introduction of "cause" and "effect." The words are large which lends itself well to a classroom setting or reading to a group. A wonderful spinoff activity would be for students to make a short story (a few words on each page) with a similar cause and effect storyline. It would also reinforce the concept of using sequence words like "then", "next" " after"... etc. As well as the i ...more
Karen Witzler
May 05, 2015 Karen Witzler rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Simple book with a progressive sequence of cause and effect actions -good for one-on-one reading with an infant or very young child, naming the objects, animals , colors, etc. Introduction to farm animals.
May 28, 2015 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
With fantastic watercolor inks and black pen illustrations and a fun chain-of-events tale that depicts life on a farm, this is an entertaining book to read aloud. The narrative is very short and the fonts are huge, so it would be a terrific book to read to a group of young children.

We enjoyed reading this book together. Even though it's a bit young for our girls, we loved the fun details in the pictures and we laughed at the comic antics of the various critters as well as the cause and effect f
May 17, 2015 Jenny rated it liked it
Very simple text and wonderful illustrations make this perfect for toddlers...and also for those just beginning to read. While I read quite a few of Tafuri's books to my girls when they were younger, this was just too simple for them now.
Apr 28, 2015 Sam rated it liked it
Cute little book story perfect for little readers with short attention spans! I like how everything on the farm is construed as a team effort!
Jul 20, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
This book is just the perfect length to read to toddlers -- and the perfect length for beginning readers to read on their own.
Dec 30, 2014 Colleen rated it really liked it
Using comforting straightforward rhyming verse to tell a story.
Mar 12, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was amazing
Short, not so many words with large illustrations. Well done.
Ashley Allen
This is the farmer would be a great book to use when doing a farm lesson. It has great pictures of the animals that you can see on thte farm. Along with the great pictures it also tells actions that each animal does, which could be in turn used to act out with your children. A teacher could also use this book to do the sounds of each of the animals.
Sep 30, 2011 Joy rated it liked it
Very simple text makes this okay for toddlers as well as preschoolers. Might work better as a one-on-one rather than for a group; it would be good to look over and talk about the details in the illustrations.
Rebecca Ann
Nov 06, 2012 Rebecca Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This story was just missing something for me, though I doubt babies and toddlers would mind. A fine choice for a farm toddler storytime. The illustrations are bright, though a little crowded.
Nov 13, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A chain reaction involving all of the different farm animals winds up helping the farmer milk his cow. Large book with full page illustrations and oversize text make this great for story time.
May 15, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A book that a toddler can love! It's a quick read for those short attention spans and shows some of the animals and tasks a farmer has to take care of.
Shaley Dunn
Jan 29, 2012 Shaley Dunn rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, animals
This book was very short. I did not get much out of it when I read it. I think it was too short and most children wouldnt understand the point of it.
Sep 16, 2014 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: requests for young children and/or farm
Nice large pictures and a very simple story make this a nice choice for Lap Time or Toddler Time. 9/18/13

Used for Lap Time again.
Oct 03, 2012 Sylvester rated it liked it
3* art
3* story

Squirt is bent on patting each page, and wants very much to lick them, too. A sign of approval, I'd say.
Jun 10, 2009 Ksmom rated it it was amazing
We borrowed this book from the library and read it over, and over so many times that we finally bought it.
This book is good to read to a large group because the words are really large print.
Apr 29, 2008 Alfajirikali rated it really liked it
Huge black font, and large colorful illustrations.
Sep 15, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it
Circular story with nice big font for words
I like the rhythm and the flow of this book.
Mar 25, 2008 Serena rated it it was amazing
My nephew's favorite book as a baby.
Jun 07, 2009 Kari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Another toddler favorite.
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2016
Trinity rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Nancy Tafuri is probably best known as the creator of Have You Seen My Duckling?, a 1985 Caldecott Honor Book described by Parent’s Choice as “beautifully precise yet emotionally affecting.” Trained as a graphic designer, Tafuri has authored more than 45 books over 30 years for the very young.

When Tafuri first attempted picture book illustration in the late 1970’s picture books were aimed at five-
More about Nancy Tafuri...