Start by marking “Franklin's Halloween” as Want to Read:
Franklin's Halloween

Franklin's Halloween (Franklin the Turtle)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,094 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Franklin and his friends are excited about the Halloween party. But things get scary when Franklin begins to think that there might be a real ghost at the party in this Franklin Classic Storybook.
Published December 3rd 2005 by Kids Can Press (first published June 30th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Franklin's Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Franklin's Halloween

Lindsey (Babies, Books, and Beyond)
In honor of Halloween, CJ and I have been reading Fall and Halloween themed books. Nothing scary, he's only one. We'll wait until next year to pull out the Stephen King for him. One of the books we read was Franklin's Halloween.

First of all, I freaking love Franklin. Where has he been all my life? Everyone who knows me knows I love turtles. I even have a tattoo of one on my leg. How did I not know that there were books about a turtle with the awesome name Franklin?

Secondly, this book was adora
Brigid Keely
"Franklin's Halloween," by Paulette Bourgeois and Brenda Clark, is a heavily illustrated story about Franklin and his friends and their Halloween party. The illustrations have personality and great use of color and the text is very readable. The story follows Franklin as he discusses Halloween plans with his friends in school, decides on a costume at home, goes to a Halloween party, braves a haunted house, and experiences an actual GHOST-- or does he? There's a bit of mystery and suspense that i ...more
A.
Sep 29, 2012 A. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Franklin is a sweet little turtle, and his adventures are fun and innocent. Even on spooky Halloween night, things never get too scary.
Andrea Hussey
Nov 02, 2016 Andrea Hussey rated it liked it
Emily Garrison
Oct 20, 2016 Emily Garrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has amazing illustrations! Franklin is a turtle and he and his animal friends are preparing for a Halloween costume party. Franklin finally decides to be "Franklinstein" for the party and of the friends go to the party. While touring the haunted house, Franklin realizes that the ghost who he thought was his friend bear, was not really a friend after all, was it a ghost? Bear was home sick for Halloween! Finally, Franklin solves the Halloween mystery and his friends leave bear a treat o ...more
Beckie
Oct 25, 2016 Beckie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-connor
Franklin books were a favorite of mine growing up and I love that they still apply today. Franklin and his friends are getting ready for a Halloween costume party and haunted house but who is the ghost? Is it an animal friend or real??? Cute story with classic illustrations that stand the test of time.
Heather
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
My son came home from school sick today. I thought he might like to cuddle up with mom and read a story. That always seems to help a little.

We read Franklin's Halloween. I had downloaded it from netgalley and wanted to read it with my eight year old. I love to see what they think. I know what I like in a children's story: great pictures, humor, a lesson, phonetics....etc. Kids mostly want a good story and to see the pictures. I asked him what he thought and he said it was good. I asked him if ot
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)

Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
Before I became a mother I did not know who Franklin was. But now with two young boys in my house we are all well aware of Franklin and all the shenanigans he and his animal friends get into. We love him and all his pals. The lessons that these book teach are ones that my children and I can relate to.

As a teacher of preschool aged children I find that the influence that literature has on the children to be great. One must be selective what literature children get exposed to because it can make
Teddie Trombley
Apr 30, 2014 Teddie Trombley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
Franklin books used to be my all time favorite books when I was little. This book is about Franklin the turtle that loves Halloween and is so excited for the annual Halloween party, which has bobbing for apples, a costume contest, carnival games, and a haunted house. Franklin was so excited but the only problem was that he could not figure out what to dress up as. He tried on everything that was in his dress up trunk but could not find a single thing to wear. Franklin started thinking and then a ...more
Bea
"Franklin's Halloween" talks about a Halloween party that Franklin attends with his friends. We see him considering what costume he should wear, he wants to win a prize in the costume contest and he doesn't want to duplicate what his friends are wearing. Once at the party, he tries to guess which of the costumed party-goers are his friends. There's a brief little mystery about Bear and a ghost costume, older children and adults will figure it out quickly.

The story is simple and cute, not very co
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Franklin and his friends prepare their costumes for the Halloween party and decide to surprise each other at the event. Can you guess who is who? Of course a bit of a scare occurs when they learn that bear is home sick and not the animal dressed as a ghost. Who could the ghost be? Once the mystery is solved a particularly, the friends show a wonderful touch of kindness when they all leave their sick friend a bag of treats. Happy Halloween everyone!
Brody
Jul 12, 2011 Brody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(3 1/2 years old.) Brody really loves this book, especially since it has to do with Halloween and a Ghost. His favorite part is when everyone thinks that Bear is a Ghost, when Bear was really at home with a cold. He liked that they gave them his candies, even though he couldn't come out Trick-or-Treating with them.
Michelle
Oct 28, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Franklin and his friends get ready to go to their Halloween party, deciding what would be best to wear. While there, they got a big scare thinking that they saw a real ghost.
All the animals were adorable in their costumes, and the story line was good enough that it held my 3 and 5 year old's attention. They loved that it was about Halloween, since Halloween is just around the corner.
Michelle
Oct 28, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kimberly
Franklin's Halloween is a good book. It reminds me of being a kid and getting so excited about my Halloween costume and all the candy and fun festivities. Franklin and his friends enjoy a fun Halloween together with an amusing twist and a pleasant surprise. Very entertaining.
Penny
Nov 06, 2013 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute book. My little ones love it and next year it will be perfect for my oldest boy to read independently. The kids love the little bit of mystery with the ghost, and especially love the ending!
Lois
Oct 26, 2015 Lois rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story meh digital edition

This is a cute story and my kids loved it. However the digital edition is done poorly. Large sections of white where the words were on the pictures and blurred sections. One page even had the text left on it. :/
Angela
Nov 01, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l-s-faves, children
Another great Franklin title. I couldn't help but wonder when I read this with my guy this year if it would be the last time. He is almost seven and still enjoys picture books, but that could change between now and next year.
NightGold
Nov 03, 2011 NightGold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great Halloween book for kids! My little brother loved the pictures and found the costumes fun to look at and identify. The general 'non scariness' of this book makes this a good reccomendation to much younger children as well!
Kristy McRae
Nick & I read this one together. We love the Franklin books, and there's always a nice message about being kind, having good manners, etc.
Julie
Darling Halloween story for children with beautiful illustrations.
My children and I enjoyed reading it together!
Ally Cat
Oct 23, 2015 Ally Cat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with my little guy. I used to love the Franklin books when I was a kid and it was awesome to share it with him. They're still amazing.
Ellen
Ellen rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Crystal Brown
Crystal Brown rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2014
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2014
Brian Barnett
Brian Barnett rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2015
Anita Vue
Anita Vue rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2015
  • It's Pumpkin Time!
  • Clifford's First Halloween
  • The Littlest Pumpkin
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • Corduroy's Best Halloween Ever!
  • Happy Halloween, Little Critter!
  • The Teeny Tiny Ghost
  • The Biggest Pumpkin Ever
  • Mouse's First Halloween
  • Big Al
  • The Halloween Play
  • Five Little Pumpkins (Harper Growing Tree)
  • Isabella: Girl on the Go
  • Spooky Hour
  • Chester Raccoon and the Big Bad Bully (Chester the Raccoon (Kissing Hand) #4)
  • Arthur's Tooth  (Arthur Adventure Series)
Born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Bourgeois graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Occupational therapy from the University of Western Ontario in 1974. She was a psychiatric occupational therapist for three years before deciding to focus on her writing. She studied journalism at Carlton University then worked as a reporter for the Ottawa Citizen and CBC Television. She became a freelance journal ...more
More about Paulette Bourgeois...

Franklin the Turtle (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Franklin In The Dark
  • Franklin and Me
  • Franklin Goes to School
  • Franklin Plays The Game
  • Franklin's Blanket

“There was only one more thing to do--go into the haunted house.
“You first,” said Beaver, pushing Franklin toward the door.
It creaked open. A skeleton rattled. Chains clanged. There were moans. Franklin stepped on something crunchy.
Suddenly, a big hairy hand reached out of the darkness.
Franklin’s heart beat hard and fast. But before he could scream, a light was flicked on.
“Trick or treat!” shouted Mr. Mole.
Franklin looked around nervously. Then he laughed. The hairy hand was only Mr. Mole’s mop.
“Here’s a treat for braving the haunted house,” said Mr. Mole. “A ghost came before you. He got so scared he flew away.”
“But Bear can’t fly,” said Franklin.
“It wasn’t Bear,” explained Mr. Mole. “Bear is home sick with a nasty cold.”
Franklin shuddered. “If Bear wasn’t the ghost, then who was?”
He ran back to his friends, who were waiting in line for the haunted house.
“Was it that scary?” asked Fox. “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”
“Maybe I did,” said Franklin. He told them what Mr. Mole had said.
“You mean that Bear was never here?” asked Beaver.
Franklin shook his head.
The ghost flew over them. It swooped low and called, “Whooo!”
Rabbit twitched. “So what is white, says ‘Whooo,’ and flies?”
“A real ghost,” answered Goose. “Run!”
0 likes