Start by marking “Home” as Want to Read:

Home

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  219 ratings  ·  51 reviews
A family.
A place to feel safe.
Little by little, baby Tracy grows. She and her neighbors begin to rescue their street. Together, children and adults plant grass and trees and bushes in the empty spaces. They paint murals over old graffiti. They stop the cars. Everything begins to blossom.

In Jeannie Baker's striking, natural collages, a...more
Published March 16th 2004 by Greenwillow Books (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home

The Arrival by Shaun TanFlotsam by David WiesnerTuesday by David WiesnerThe Snowman by Raymond BriggsGood Dog, Carl by Alexandra Day
Wordless Picture Books
52nd out of 130 books — 214 voters
The Little House by Virginia Lee BurtonIn a People House by Dr. SeussThe Great Blue House by Kate BanksLet's Go Home by Cynthia RylantThe House that Jack Built by J.P. Miller
Picture books about houses
12th out of 41 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Vegan
Wow! Fabulous book! This is my first Jeannie Baker book; I have three others at home and I’m trying to get all of them. I can’t imagine I’ll like any of the others as much as I love this one though.

This is a mostly wordless picture book, wonderfully illustrated with collage art. The story is of a child as she grows from infancy to motherhood and career, and mostly of the home and street and neighborhood where she makes her home.

It’s touching and sweet and inspiring. This is a fiction book, but t...more
Kathryn
I LOVED this book! It is so beautiful and heartfelt, so detailed and thoughtful and sweet and inspiring. Through illustrations only, we follow a little girl from her birth day as she grows up; we see only the backyard and a bit of the city through the window but, oh, what a story that little glimpse tells! For it is not only the story of the girl growing up, but of the neighborhood becoming more aware of its problems, most especially in that it is not a very attractive place to live and no one s...more
Dolly
Mar 13, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a terrific "wordless" book that tells about the life of a little girl and indeed a whole neighborhood through snapshots out of the same window year after year. There are always little clues as to the age of little Tracy and we watch her grow up through the scenes in her backyard. Watching the scenery in the neighborhood change is fascinating, too, as the broken-down and graffiti-covered walls slowly transform into beautiful and well-maintained facades. We really enjoyed "reading" this bo...more
Cheryl
Gorgeous. Important and powerful message. I want to gift a special newborn with this book, and Window too. And I want to buy two copies of each for myself so I can frame all the images. Wordless, heartwrenching, and heartwarming.
Ashley
Home, a wordless picture book, created by Jeannie Baker is an absolute treasure. Baker’s attention to detail unexpectedly begins on the page coinciding with the copyright information. This page differs from the others, as it is not a window. Baker presents the reader with a glimpse into Tracy’s home by showing a simple, petite picture of what seems to be Tracy’s pregnant mother (pregnant with Tracy), father, and two movers moving furniture into the room that Baker uses as her “window” of opport...more
Desolation. Who wants it? Well, in general, no one I know; and yet if we turn our backs on all the desolate places (geographic or in the human heart) pretty soon everything will be waste. That is why I love this book: it is a book about bringing SHALOM, or life as it ought to be, to a desolate place. It is a picture book with a view out the same window, with each successive page coming forward about two years. Children love the "I spy" activity of searching for what has changed, and parents and...more
Rebecca
A beautiful, nearly-wordless book shows the view from one window as a baby grows up and the street outside is transformed into a beautiful place to live. So much to look at here -- a great book for community, narrative skills, passage of time, and urban renewal.

Goodreads description:

"A family.

Alissa
Aug 26, 2008 Alissa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
This wordless picture book follows a girl growing up in the city. It starts when her mother was pregnant with her and finishes with the girl becoming a mother herself. The pictures are from the viewpoint of the girls room in her house. She can see her backyard and surrounding shops, restaurants, and the rest of the neighborhood. Throughout the pages as the girl grows up, she and the neighborhood plants flowers, trees, and bushes in the yards. The story emphasizes the importance of keeping nature...more
Charles Martin
AMAZING! The book shows the window view of a backyard as an urban neighborhood returns the community to a more natural state. This book is perfect for introducing a unit on the environment or community gardens. The pictures are incredibly detailed and provide an opportunity for younger students to compare and contrast changes in the images or predict future improvements in the community. Finally, the end of the book includes a note from the author explaining author purpose and discussing the con...more
Lauren
A sweet wordless book about a family who brings new life into their neighborhood.

Text to self:
Right off the bat I can connect to the idea of moving to a new place. I spent my entire childhood moving around every couple of years. The idea of making a new place my own is a reality I am familiar with. I love the process of putting down literal and figurative roots in a new place.

Text to text:
This book reminds me of a children's book I used in the reading intervention I've done with students. The b...more
Maeve Mc Hugh
This picture/collage book by Jeannie Baker proves the saying that a picure can paint a thousand words. The story centres on Tracy, a little girl that is born into an urban community. At the time of her birth, the neighbourhood is in bad need of community spirit and attention. Buildings are rundown, crime is rife, graffiti covers walls and there is little evidence of a safe neighbourhood to grow up in. The pictures are taken from inside Tracy's living room; a framed photo on the windowsill tells...more
Jessica Gilligan
Baker, Jeanie. (2004). Home. Greenwillow Books.

Picture Book: Wordless.

2005 Notable Children's Book

I was engrossed "reading" this book. There are so many details on every page, and the story unfolds as each page changes; grows; evolves. The book tells the story (in pictures only) of a girl and the community she lives in. It chronicles her life by showing the same image (a viewpoint looking out of a window in her house) taken every two years. The story begins as a young family with a new baby mov...more
Haily Kokinakis
I looked at this book in class and I really enjoyed looking at it. It is the kind of picture book that makes you think. When you're a teacher you want your students to think and to use their imagination. That is the bi reason I liked it. As the years went by in the book it allowed you to think about what happened in between these keystone moments. I would definitely use this book in my classroom and while using it ask students to help me tell the story while they look at the pictures. Each time...more
Heather
I really enjoyed this wordless book because I love reading stories where the pictures do the telling and explaining. This book was interesting in that it showed the growth, change, progression, and development stages throughout life. It is interesting to see how the connections we once had with one another outside our homes and within our communities was very unified and strengthened, but have now been disconnected and weakened. We should be hopeful and strive to re-create those friendships and...more
David
Home by Jeannie Baker is a wordless look at the growth of a child and the parallel growth and transformation of the area where her family lives into a real community.

Baker's very detailed illustrations were prepared as collage constructions using some natural materials that were reproduced in full color from photographs. Most illustrations are double page spreads. I loved the transformation of the teddy bear. My favorite images are bear, plant gift, birthday gift, closed off, bike, night kiss,...more
Jessica
A family.
A place to feel safe.

In Jeannie Baker's striking, natural collages, an urban community reclaims its land. A drab city street becomes a living, thriving neighborhood -- a place to call home.
- Tha...more
Kayleena Nielson
I absolutely adored this book. It was so sweet and pleasant to see how wonderful and precious life truth is. It made me not want to take for grated my life. I love how this can express so many things without any words. A picture is truly worth a thousand (or more) words. I recommend this for all ages. You can ask children what age they think the girl is and what they would be doing when they are that age. I have officially fallen in love with picture books.
Hannah G.
This is a wordless picture book, however the story line is very clear. It's one that many can relate to, as many people have watched the community around them change drastically over the years. I loved watching the family of this particular home grow up and reach many important milestones. I think this book is very heartfelt and charming. The illustrations are very nice as well.
Brooke Teichert
Oh man, I loved this book. It was a wordless picture book, which can sometimes be annoying but this one was just great. The progression of change shown through pictures was just genius. I want to go back and really spend some time looking at this book again because I know I missed a lot. The art work was beautiful and really shows what a home means and that it takes time to create one.
Emma
I found this book to be a bit hard to follow since there were no words in it. However, I think this would be a great story to read aloud to children and see what they interpret from it. The setting is pretty relatable for most people. The pictures start with a family and a baby, and show how a community can be transformed. The illustrations are beautiful. They exhibit tree planting, painting over graffiti and most importantly, cleaning up their neighborhood. Things begin to transform for the new...more
Whitney Wahlen
This book was amazing and I wanted to stare at the pictures all day! It was so awesome to see how the city and their backyard/home changed every couple years. There were sad times and happy times, which seems crazy because there weren't even any words! I loved this book a lot and was very touched by it.
Mary Meldrum
Beautiful book, watching a little girl grow up and her community become a home. Take time to look at everything. So many changes to observe and enjoy!! Do not rush through this book you will miss out on the true beauty of it.
Julianna
Definitely one of my favorite picture books ever. Super adorable, no-words picture book showing the stages of life and the joys of growing up and making memories with our families.
Jen
A wordless book that follows a child through her life by looking out her window. Fun to read with the kids, to see what changes you notice from page to page.
Dylan
Absolutely brilliant! My new favorite book. Hopeful, doable, growing, connecting. Be the change you seek. This picture book is about urban renewal, but it so remarkably shows how urban renewal is also about community and healthy people. The tiny details of suffering and alienation at the start of the book are poignant and powerful. The gradually transformations of the city are also evident in a life that is more whole, more social, more human, more loving.

You'll see new things on every 'read' o...more
Beth
As Tracy grows up, the view outside her window slowly begins to change as the community decides to improve their neighborhood by planting trees and bushes, painting over graffiti, and fixing up crumbling buildings, which leads readers to the question, what exactly does it mean to be home? Is it just a building you live in? Or is it something more?

This is quite a unique picture book because every page is the same view outside Tracy's window, but you slowly begin to see how that view changes and m...more
Lindsey
I really enjoyed this book. It shows how a community can change a neighborhood over time. The differences on each page are interesting. This could be a great way to talk about what kids like about their neighborhoods and what they would like to change. They could even create their own action plans on how to make their neighborhood or another better. This book was nicely done. The artwork is interesting and the subtle differences on each page keep you guessing about the storyline.
Karen
Picture book illustrating the life of a girl in her home from birth through to when she has her own baby. Her life is depicted every 2 years, I believe.

The only thing I did not like was that in a couple of the illustrations, there were billboards that looked a little questionable. I understand that this isn't in the richest of neighborhoods, but I didn't think those types of billboards are necessary for a picture book for young children.

The artwork is amazing.
Randie
Baker invites readers to watch as a home, family, baby girl, and neighborhood grows. The growing isn't limited to getting older over time, this home promotes growth in a much larger sense.

Great message. I really enjoyed watching the story unfold from the window with the little objects on the window sill to indicate change and age in the baby girl. Additionally, watching the entire neighborhood transform because one girl is inspiring to say the least.

Dianna
This seems more like a picture book for adults than for children. It shows the transformation of an urban neighborhood over the course of a girl's life, from her infancy until she has a child of her own. Although kids will probably like comparing the illustrations as the neighborhood changes over time, I do think an adult is going to be more likely to notice the significance of the changes.
  • Rainstorm