Start by marking “Dave Gorman's Googlewhack! Adventure” as Want to Read:
Dave Gorman's Googlewhack! Adventure

Dave Gorman's Googlewhack! Adventure

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,246 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
If someone called you a 'googlewhack' what would you do? Would you end up playing table tennis with a nine year-old boy in Boston? Would you find yourself in Los Angeles wrangling snakes, or would you go to China to be licked by a performance artist?

If your name is Dave Gorman, then all of these things could be true.

Fuelled by a lust for life and a desperate desire to do a
Published January 6th 2005 by Ebury Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Dave Gorman's Googlewhack! Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dave Gorman's Googlewhack! Adventure

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverThe Year of Living Biblically by A.J. JacobsThe Know-It-All by A.J. JacobsA Year at the Movies by Kevin MurphyWalden by Henry David Thoreau
Memoirs of Experiments
27th out of 105 books — 45 voters
Lord of the Flies by William GoldingThe Quiet American by Graham GreeneThe Sorrows of Young Werther by Johann Wolfgang von GoetheThe Power and the Glory by Graham GreeneThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Author Last Name Starts With G
314th out of 525 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca
Jun 03, 2011 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
Dave Gorman is a real person, a comedian. He gets an email saying he has a googlewack on his webpage. A googlewack is when you enter two words into google and only one website comes up. The words must be in dictionary.com, which I guess underlines what you search. I don't use google, so i didn't know this. Or care. He starts trying to find googlewacks himself and contacting them and he finds an old friend, also named David Gorman (Dave also wrote a book on this search as well, which is in my que ...more
Dale
Jan 23, 2009 Dale rated it really liked it
(Yes, Dave Gorman was a Daily Show correspondent. For like a week or so.)

This book came into my house when my lovely wife (at the time my lovely girlfriend) moved in with me, and it amused the heck out of me. I'm adding it alongside The Areas of My Expertise because both books celebrate the random, even though Gorman's tale is almost completely true and Hodgman's book is completely fabricated.

Here's the premise: Gorman discovers a 'game' called Googlewhack, which involves opening up the Google s
Socialbookshelves.com
Sep 18, 2014 Socialbookshelves.com rated it really liked it
Dave Gorman is back again with another bizarre adventure – he’s the comedian who also found 54 other people called Dave Gorman and who followed his horoscope exactly for forty days and forty nights. The only difference with this challenge is that he didn’t set out to do it – he almost stumbled in to the challenge by accident, in stark contrast to his other journeys.

In fact, Gorman’s reluctance to embark on the adventure is almost annoying – he repeatedly talks about how he doesn’t want to do it,
Christine Blachford
Feb 06, 2014 Christine Blachford rated it really liked it
Plot: Dave Gorman is determined to prove he’s changed by stopping his antics, writing a novel and growing a beard. Only he can’t think of a single word to get down in writing and he’s easily distracted by a bet involving ten googlewhacks and a heck of a lot of travelling.

Characters: Dave Gorman, obviously, a lot of googlewhacks who really are too plentiful to count, plus the David Gorman who made the bet, his agent Rob and his book publisher Jake. I did miss Danny Wallace a little bit, but I bet
Amy
Oct 28, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're about to run to google and google what exactly a "googlewhack" is, then this book is for you. A google whack is when two dictionary words produce one and only one google hit. Dave accidentally starts off on an adventure to meet with the people that run these strange and unique sites. At times this novel is literally laugh-out-loud funny. Recommended.
Leanne Shirtliffe
Jun 14, 2013 Leanne Shirtliffe rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first third of this book, but as I progressed I found my interest waned. I like his style, but it felt a bit flat after a while. He is definitely funny and I admire his adventure. The arc of each chapter (find new guy - have assumptions - meet them and shatter stereotypes) became a little monotonous.
Steve Wilcockson
Oct 28, 2014 Steve Wilcockson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
Not my first time reading that book, nor my second for that matter. Simply put this is one of the easiest and most fun reads I have on my shelf and was, once again, a perfect accompaniment to a lazy holiday.

If you are aware of Dave Gorman's TV, radio or stand up work then the style and humour in this book will be very familiar and his easy going persona comes across as well in print as it does in other mediums. The adventure itself is completely ludicrous but the conviction and obsession with wh
Kathy
Nov 22, 2007 Kathy rated it really liked it
From a blog post I wrote in 2005:

British comedian Dave Gorman receives an email stating that he is a Googlewhack. He allows himself to get distracted from his commissioned novel (of which he’s written nothing at all) and starts following a trail of Googlewhacks around the globe.

A Googlewhack are the two words entered into Google that return only one page. There are some rules: the words can’t be in inverted commas, the words must be real (as determined by www.dictionary.com) and the page returne
Anshul
Jul 16, 2007 Anshul rated it it was amazing
Googlewhacking is a game I used to play often. The idea was to find two "meaningful" words that "meaningfully" occurred on exactly one result in google search. It is indeed quite easy to find two words that occur on say 2 or more pages or none at all but getting that one elusive hit can get tricky. The game is far more addictive than you would think and once you get the hang of it, you start getting creative. You form communities. You compile them into lists and then you start looking for more a ...more
Nick Davies
Jan 24, 2016 Nick Davies rated it really liked it
I first read this back in 2004, so re-reading it recently (partially because I was due to see Dave Gorman at the theatre a few weeks later) was an opportunity to see whether the book retained its appeal. I definitely enjoyed it a lot - the British humour and level of fun in particular - though some aspects of the book haven't aged as well as they might (some of the technology references are outdated or put across slightly simplistically).
Jane
Aug 31, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
I had already watched the DVD of this as I have been a fan ever since I first saw the Dave Gorman Collection when it first aired (on at stupid times on BBC at the time) and was determined to watch this when it came out and read it when I eventually got round to it... well I got round to it.

Googlewhack makes and interesting read from a one of a kind (slightly crazy but ever so adorable) big kid that is Dave Gorman. This book is very funny and at times pretty intense (his very very keen on winning
Sam Orchard
I really enjoyed this. partly because of the nostalgia of talking about how the internet was, and partly because I love the way Dave's relationship with the challenge develops - from a harmless bit of procrastination to an all consuming challenge :)
Macie
Jan 02, 2010 Macie rated it liked it
Picked up a copy of the book after watching Gorman perform this as a stand-up act. He's very charming and the book is very entertaining but it gets a bit tiresome toward the second half. Knowing that he makes a living by creating ridiculous scenarios and then talking/writing about them makes everything seem a bit suspect, but I wanted to believe him. It's a bit twee at times and Gorman starts to come across as an annoying kid who won't quit saying, "Look at me, look at this exciting thing I'm do ...more
Raj
Feb 22, 2010 Raj rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humour
Dave Gorman is pretty mental, and possibly in a literal sense. This time be becomes obsessed by finding googlewhacks, with his usual arbitrary and obscure rules. Except there's a problem: he's supposed to be writing a novel. Instead, he uses the advance fee from his publisher to travel the world meeting owners of googlewhack websites and asking them to find more for him, while ignoring his 'real' life.

It's a fascinating, and very funny read, but you really do have to question the sanity of the m
Ironictakahashi
Aug 30, 2015 Ironictakahashi rated it it was amazing
One of the funniest books I've read in a long time. The actual absurdity that is his real life is wonderful and perplexing. How one ends up accidentally traveling around the world is baffling but I'm glad he did.
Helen
Dec 01, 2008 Helen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dan, my Facebook son
This book was truly a lot of fun to read, very humorous, of course. Loved the insert of photographs!

There was really an astounding number of isn't-this-a-small-world coincidences throughout, which is eerie and yet, kind of neatly packaged, perfect for a book. It does make me rather sad that typically the only people who get to have interesting, crazy experiences such as Dave Gorman's are writers who are on assignment to explore said interesting, crazy experiences.

Anyway, I found this to be a lig
Babs
Sep 21, 2015 Babs rated it really liked it
This is another extremely funny book from Dave Gorman. I saw him do this live at the Edinburgh Festival a couple of years ago, and thought I was going to die laughing.

A great book!
Godzilla
Aug 24, 2009 Godzilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travelogues, quirky, 2009
Another very readable book from Mr Gorman. He has a very conversational style, which makes the pages zip by. He takes on another wacky challenge and meets a wide range of people along the way.

It says a lot for his tenacity that he sees these things through, or is it just for the benefit of finishing a book? Despite my slight cynical approach I enjoyed the light hearted romp for what it was: just that.

He certainly suffers for his bet. I alternated between extreme jealousy for his ability to roam
Martin Golder
Oct 21, 2014 Martin Golder rated it really liked it
Not quite as funny all around as Are You Dave Gorman?, but still a nice simple entertaining read.
Geoff
Jul 18, 2007 Geoff rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: If you Like Danny Wallace
Googlewhack Adventure is a crazy travelogue of sorts, both of the online world and off. Dave Gorman decides he's going to grow up, grow a beard and write a novel. This crazy adventure is what happens along the way. Dave Gorman writes in a very similar way as Danny Wallace (who he co-wrote Are You Dave Gorman? with). That's a good thing as the result is extremely readable and extremely enjoyable.

Be warned after you read this book you'll waste countless time googlewacking yourself.

After Google get
Lauren
Dec 30, 2013 Lauren rated it liked it
Overall I liked this book but I did find it a tough read at times and stopped part way through for a good long while. I had seen the show on this which I don't know if that hindered me in progressing with the book or spurned me on to finish it in the end.
Overall its a very interesting tale and definately work checking out because following someones random adventure (and it gets very random, with pictures) is always good fun.
Dan Impossible
Aug 13, 2011 Dan Impossible rated it really liked it
I managed to make an otherwise pleasant book signing rather awkward for Dave Gorman - completely by accident. Remind me to tell you about it sometime.

The book was good though and I'd suggest it to you if you decide you want to hear about Dave Gorman 'Googlewhacking' in greater detail. You might not want to though which is why I'm suggesting and not urging - I'll save the urging for books without anecdotes attached to them for fear I may be simply mentioning the book in order to tell the story.
Maria Casey
Dec 18, 2014 Maria Casey rated it really liked it
This book so lived up the the title; it certainly was an adventure, start to finish.

I wish I had Dave Gorman's adventurous streak, where I could just drop everything and hop from country to country, meeting random people from the internet and becoming friends with them. It sounds so exciting, and there would always be a story to tell.

I was absolutely enthralled by this book, and I'm really looking forward to reading his other work. I couldn't recommend it more highly for fans of adventure, come
Wendy Pare
Oct 08, 2015 Wendy Pare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant
Angela
Jan 01, 2011 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela by: Christmas gift from Nikita
Shelves: non-fiction, humor, travel
Googlewhack: a pair of words (no quote marks) that turns up only a single result in a google search. Okay, so this book was a fun travel read. Part travel adventure, part stunt book, part "what I did instead of writing the novel I was supposed to be working on", it's basically a series of glimpses into random people's lives. People who tend to be interesting. As the author says, "Maybe the people who use language in a way that no-one else uses it on the Web are, by definition, worth meeting."
Lexi
May 01, 2011 Lexi rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book definitely had its moments, but unfortunately Dave Gorman was not as successful a Danny Wallace substitute as I had hoped when I got the book. The silliness was there (including some laugh out loud moments), but the substance behind it was missing. In this case, Dave Gorman went to crazy lengths to win a bet, but ultimately came away from it the same person he was when he started. Still an enjoyable book, but it suffered by comparison with Join Me, Yes Man, and Friends Like These.
Rachel
May 13, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-that-i-own
Okay, so I have loved his other books so the had high expectations. It was a great book however I felt that it lacked compared to 'Are you Dave Gorman?' The plot was great as a real adventure however in places, again, (like his unchained freewheeling American trip) was way too detailed. At points it was great to know exactly to the minute what he was up to, however it also made for the plot to move slower than necessary I felt. Overall, a really decent book.
Freya Roberts
A mildly crazy follow-up to Are You Dave Gorman?, itself a mildy crazy book, it follows the adventures of comedian Dave Gorman in discovering as many googlewhacks and googlewhackers as he can worldwide. For those who haven't googlewhacked, it is the art of finding two words that produce just one result on Google, and is actually quite a lot of fun. This is Dave's amusing adventure involving this sport, and it's witty, readable and gripping.
Paul Reid
Apr 28, 2015 Paul Reid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Now, I love Dave Gorman, but only liked this book. The theme was wearing thin by about halfway, but was verging on yawn provoking near the end. It felt forced and a little false, obviously he knew he was going to write the book about his adventure, otherwise who would fly all over the world to win a halfhearted bet.

Not exactly full of laughs either, very matter of fact.

I hope Dave writes more, but he's better than this.
Gemma Williams
Oct 03, 2011 Gemma Williams rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, non-fiction
I really liked this book. The only problem I had with it is that I'm such a Dave Gorman fan that I can almost recite the googlewhack show (maybe that's a bit far but I did recognize several bits of the book that were exactly as they were said on stage) It was a shame that I knew the story so well so that I couldn't be surprised by the book but I'm glad I read it to get the bits of information that I didn't already know.
  • Join Me!
  • A Piano In The Pyrenees: The Ups and Downs of an Englishman in the French Mountains
  • Screen Burn
  • Where Did It All Go Right?: Growing Up Normal in the 70s
  • How Not to Grow Up!: A Coming of Age Memoir. Sort of.
  • Tickling the English
  • Pole to Pole
  • How I Escaped My Certain Fate
  • Sundays with Vlad: From Pennsylvania to Transylvania, One Man's Quest to Live in the World of the Undead
  • It's Only a Movie
  • Frank Skinner Autobiography
  • The World: Travels 1950-2000
  • Pies and Prejudice: In Search of the North
David James Gorman is an English author, stand-up comedian and presenter. He has performed comedy shows on stage in which he tells stories of extreme adventures and presents the evidence to the audience in order to prove to them that they are true stories. He was a stand-up comedian before he became famous for Are You Dave Gorman?, then took a break from normal stand-up. He returned to stand-up in ...more
More about Dave Gorman...