1000 Times No

1000 Times No

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  25 reviews
It's time to leave says Noah's mother, but Noah doesn't want to. "No!" he shouts. But he doesn't stop there. He tells her no in Latin, Dutch, Japanese, Tagalog, even in Robot!

Mr. Warburton, creator of Cartoon Network's Codename: Kids Next Door, outdoes himself in this hilarious celebration of every toddler's favorite word.
Published April 28th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published April 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 1000 Times No, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1000 Times No

Betsy
When a child is born it gets to hear all sorts of interesting words from day one. These are, ideally, almost always good words to know. Then the child starts to get a little autonomy, a little movement and what happens? Suddenly the world is one great big interesting playground but all the child hears is "No no no no no". It's such a limited syllable, and worse still it prevents a whole lot of potential fun. So imagine the sheer joy a child must feel when it begins to get a grasp on language. An...more
Cassie
As a mother of a toddler, I would LOVE to find a book that gives you suggestions for redirecting your child without using the word "no"! I understand that he is working on becoming an independent person, developing his identity, and likes and dislikes which may be different from mine. He is testing his boundaries and seeing what we will allow him to do which is fantastic! But I do not want to him to chant "no, no, no" to me. As a Children's Librarian, I can say there are a lot of children who pi...more
Katrina
May 11, 2009 Katrina added it
Recommends it for: Parents of Toddlers
1000 Times No by Mr. Warburton is about a struggle between a toddler and his mother. It all starts when Noah's mother says, "It's time to leave." Noah proceeds to say `No' in many, many different languages. Once he realizes where they are going, he says yes. However, as soon as his mother wants him to get dressed, he is back to saying most toddlers' favorite word - NO!

This book was definitely a hilarious situation that most parents have been through at least once! The pictures were great and I...more
Bree
Notes:
not for younger kids, but even still it's awful
not a story, just a bunch of NO's in different languages
this book is empty fluff and a waste of any young reader's time
also the scribbley art is unappealing
The Library Lady
"NO" is one of the very first words almost any child will learn.
Because "no" is THE word of power. It can tell your parents, your caregiver, your grandma, that fat man in the red suit whose lap your parents want you on that you DON'T want something.

Those diaper clad toddlers will not get the joke here.
But your average 5-9 year old, old enough to be nostalgic about their long ago baby days WILL.

That's whom Tom Warburton and his fellow traveler Mo Willems wrote "Sheep in the Big City" and "Code Na...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I'd love to see what my grandfathers would think of this book and books like them. Funny. I know that's what kids would think. Kids would like them. Parents would be okay with this book (because of the ending, but don't read these words if you like surprises). But I wonder what Grandpap and Grandpa would say. It feels disrespectful and it feels funny.

That said, I am quite certain I will get it for my library and I will read it to the kids. It will give us time to talk about it. Let's see what k...more
Taleda Crafter
This book was very simple, but it showed the word "no" in many different languages around the world. This may be good to read if you have ELLs in your class because even if their language wasn't incorporated in the book, you could ask the student how to say no in their language. This would show them that their culture is valued all while keeping them engaged in the lesson.
Danica Midlil
I liked it, but am I the only one who is annoyed that the mother gives in and they go to the park without putting pants on?
Does this single me out as a pre-motherhood person? I like her first response, "Fine! If you don't want to go to the playground, you can stay here." Why does she then wimp out?
*Queen Diva*
I had to read this book because I saw it had "no" in other languages. It was a pretty fun book! The illustrations are really fun, and of course any book that has other languages in it is a winner in my book! Way to go Mr. Warburton! I'd say your first children's book was a success!!
Rachel Burt
Love, love, love the illustrations in this book, I thought they were hilarious! Little baby boy goes through a bunch of different ways to say no to his mother including Latin, Japanese, robot, Morse code, eskimo,through a text message.....with the pictures to go along with it!
Tricia
while i'm not the right reader for this title, one who could vary their voice 1000x would pull it off wonderfully! captures life with a toddler very well.
Mbrooke
The pictures were good and I liked all the different ways he had the child say no. Ask me in a year and a half if I still think it's a good book!
Kim
Jan 14, 2010 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: picture
Cute story but not for storytime. Great for one on one. A young boy is told to do something and he says no in multiple languages.
jessica wilson
kids love yelling No, don't they? here they can learn a zillion ways in which to say it...the pics are fun too, yay for nein!
This is a cute book and I like that you learn how to say no is many different languages. It is a quick book to read, but funny.
Marti
Really cute kid's book and I love all the "no"s in lots of different languages! Cute artwork and my 5 yr old loves it to boot!
Michelle
Sooo cute! Great for vocabulary. So many different ways to say no!!! My favorite is "Hindi po!" (Tagalog-Philippines)
Katie
Pretty funny! Although, I hear "No" enough as it is... not sure I want to teach J how to say it in multiple languages!
Tina
"toddler says ""no"", multiple languages, cute, pronunciation on cover pages, very visual content"
Destinee Sutton
"No" in many languages. Funny, but I got bored in the middle and it's only like 15 pages long.
Syd
I really liked how the little girl acted just like any other little girl.
Lupine
Kids will find it funny...Adults will say, "It's funny because it's true."
Huda
Stubbornness!
I wonder if it's available on board book..
Natalie
Man, I can't wait to have a toddler.
Teresa
The last page is the best.
« previous 1 3 4 next »