Start by marking “1000 Times No” as Want to Read:
1000 Times No

1000 Times No

3.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
It's time to leave says Noah's mother, but Noah doesn't want to. "No!" he shouts. But he doesn't stop there. He tells her no in Latin, Dutch, Japanese, Tagalog, even in Robot!

Mr. Warburton, creator of Cartoon Network's Codename: Kids Next Door, outdoes himself in this hilarious celebration of every toddler's favorite word.
Published April 28th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 1000 Times No, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1000 Times No

Betsy
May 22, 2009 Betsy rated it liked it
When a child is born it gets to hear all sorts of interesting words from day one. These are, ideally, almost always good words to know. Then the child starts to get a little autonomy, a little movement and what happens? Suddenly the world is one great big interesting playground but all the child hears is "No no no no no". It's such a limited syllable, and worse still it prevents a whole lot of potential fun. So imagine the sheer joy a child must feel when it begins to get a grasp on language. An ...more
Cassie
Aug 31, 2009 Cassie rated it really liked it
As a mother of a toddler, I would LOVE to find a book that gives you suggestions for redirecting your child without using the word "no"! I understand that he is working on becoming an independent person, developing his identity, and likes and dislikes which may be different from mine. He is testing his boundaries and seeing what we will allow him to do which is fantastic! But I do not want to him to chant "no, no, no" to me. As a Children's Librarian, I can say there are a lot of children who pi ...more
Michelle McBeth
Sep 24, 2014 Michelle McBeth rated it really liked it
I love stories about exuberant children and this little boy (don't let the long curly hair fool you) definitely fits into that category. His mom says it's time to go and he not only says "NO," he does it in every language he could possible think of. Some of his NOs were quite creative including pig Latin and Morse code. There is not much other dialogue however.

I wouldn't recommend this book to very small children as it would only encourage bad behavior. But the publishers have recommended it for
Katrina
May 11, 2009 Katrina added it
Recommends it for: Parents of Toddlers
1000 Times No by Mr. Warburton is about a struggle between a toddler and his mother. It all starts when Noah's mother says, "It's time to leave." Noah proceeds to say `No' in many, many different languages. Once he realizes where they are going, he says yes. However, as soon as his mother wants him to get dressed, he is back to saying most toddlers' favorite word - NO!

This book was definitely a hilarious situation that most parents have been through at least once! The pictures were great and I
Bree
Apr 27, 2014 Bree rated it did not like it
Notes:
not for younger kids, but even still it's awful
not a story, just a bunch of NO's in different languages
this book is empty fluff and a waste of any young reader's time
also the scribbley art is unappealing
The Library Lady
May 26, 2009 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"NO" is one of the very first words almost any child will learn.
Because "no" is THE word of power. It can tell your parents, your caregiver, your grandma, that fat man in the red suit whose lap your parents want you on that you DON'T want something.

Those diaper clad toddlers will not get the joke here.
But your average 5-9 year old, old enough to be nostalgic about their long ago baby days WILL.

That's whom Tom Warburton and his fellow traveler Mo Willems wrote "Sheep in the Big City" and "Code Na
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Aug 23, 2009 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it liked it
Shelves: children
I'd love to see what my grandfathers would think of this book and books like them. Funny. I know that's what kids would think. Kids would like them. Parents would be okay with this book (because of the ending, but don't read these words if you like surprises). But I wonder what Grandpap and Grandpa would say. It feels disrespectful and it feels funny.

That said, I am quite certain I will get it for my library and I will read it to the kids. It will give us time to talk about it. Let's see what k
The Bougie Twins
Jun 24, 2015 The Bougie Twins rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Taleda Crafter
Apr 17, 2010 Taleda Crafter rated it really liked it
This book was very simple, but it showed the word "no" in many different languages around the world. This may be good to read if you have ELLs in your class because even if their language wasn't incorporated in the book, you could ask the student how to say no in their language. This would show them that their culture is valued all while keeping them engaged in the lesson.
Danica Midlil
I liked it, but am I the only one who is annoyed that the mother gives in and they go to the park without putting pants on?
Does this single me out as a pre-motherhood person? I like her first response, "Fine! If you don't want to go to the playground, you can stay here." Why does she then wimp out?
Miss Ryoko
Feb 10, 2013 Miss Ryoko rated it liked it
I had to read this book because I saw it had "no" in other languages. It was a pretty fun book! The illustrations are really fun, and of course any book that has other languages in it is a winner in my book! Way to go Mr. Warburton! I'd say your first children's book was a success!!
Rachel Burt
Feb 19, 2010 Rachel Burt rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love the illustrations in this book, I thought they were hilarious! Little baby boy goes through a bunch of different ways to say no to his mother including Latin, Japanese, robot, Morse code, eskimo,through a text message.....with the pictures to go along with it!
Tricia
Dec 22, 2009 Tricia rated it liked it
while i'm not the right reader for this title, one who could vary their voice 1000x would pull it off wonderfully! captures life with a toddler very well.
Mbrooke
Apr 22, 2011 Mbrooke rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
The pictures were good and I liked all the different ways he had the child say no. Ask me in a year and a half if I still think it's a good book!
Kim
Jan 14, 2010 Kim rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Cute story but not for storytime. Great for one on one. A young boy is told to do something and he says no in multiple languages.
jessica wilson
Dec 12, 2009 jessica wilson rated it really liked it
kids love yelling No, don't they? here they can learn a zillion ways in which to say it...the pics are fun too, yay for nein!
May 10, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is a cute book and I like that you learn how to say no is many different languages. It is a quick book to read, but funny.
Marti
Sep 10, 2010 Marti rated it it was amazing
Really cute kid's book and I love all the "no"s in lots of different languages! Cute artwork and my 5 yr old loves it to boot!
Michelle
Sooo cute! Great for vocabulary. So many different ways to say no!!! My favorite is "Hindi po!" (Tagalog-Philippines)
Katie
Jun 29, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it
Pretty funny! Although, I hear "No" enough as it is... not sure I want to teach J how to say it in multiple languages!
Heather
Jan 13, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
Little Noah knows a thousand ways to say No.
Before you say no, know what you are saying no to.
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 Tina Bartholoma rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"toddler says ""no"", multiple languages, cute, pronunciation on cover pages, very visual content"
Destinee Sutton
Aug 18, 2009 Destinee Sutton rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, funny
"No" in many languages. Funny, but I got bored in the middle and it's only like 15 pages long.
Syd
Apr 02, 2011 Syd rated it liked it
I really liked how the little girl acted just like any other little girl.
Lupine
Kids will find it funny...Adults will say, "It's funny because it's true."
Huda
Oct 03, 2012 Huda rated it liked it
Shelves: en-pic-books
Stubbornness!
I wonder if it's available on board book..
Natalie
May 19, 2009 Natalie rated it it was ok
Man, I can't wait to have a toddler.
Teresa
Apr 02, 2011 Teresa rated it really liked it
The last page is the best.
Mattathias Westwood
Mattathias Westwood rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016