Start by marking “God's Favorite” as Want to Read:
God's Favorite

God's Favorite

The play God's Favorite is a light hearted and yet very poignient modern look at the Scriptural Character of Job - a man who has everything and loses it all before finding what is truly important.
Published January 1st 1975 by Samuel French, Inc

To ask other readers questions about God's Favorite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Favorite

Twelfth Night by William ShakespeareThe Last Battle by C.S. LewisThe Last Unicorn by Peter S. BeagleThe First Four Years by Laura Ingalls WilderThe Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
A Position of One's Own: First, Second... Last
75th out of 365 books — 55 voters
American Gods by Neil GaimanAre You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy BlumeThe God of Small Things by Arundhati RoySmall Gods by Terry PratchettTheir Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
38th out of 294 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Feb 06, 2008 Daniel rated it it was ok
Shelves: plays, theatre
I was not familiar with this Neil Simon play, and I thought I knew most of them. As I began, I wondered even more as to why it has stayed so unfamilair. The set-up was well established, the lines humorous, in typical Simon fashion, and the characters quite real (despite some quirkiness).

But then the plot developed. And let's face it ... the story of Job is not funny. No matter what lines Simon put into his character's mouths, watching a man suffer from a multitude of physical ailments just isn't
Edward Cheer
Aug 31, 2016 Edward Cheer rated it it was ok
I've never been the biggest fan of Neil Simon. He exists. He writes stuff. It's usually pretty funny. But "pretty funny" never cuts it for me. Which is honestly better? The really good quip, or the thought-provoking statement that sticks with you for years?

Anyways, let's talk about God's Favorite. I picked this one up hearing that it was loosely based around the story of Job from the Bible. Hey, Wikipedia? Yeah, you got that wrong. It's the same damn thing. It's just a modernization of Job.

The c
Apr 25, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Have you ever wondered why bad things happen to you? Did it ever cross your mind that God and the devil made a bet about your faith? The worse your situation gets, the More God is showing you that your his favorite! This play is based on the book of Job. After Joe watches his factory burn down, then his house, and has difficulties with his son, we meet God's messenger. Sidney. Joe begins to experience every ailment imaginable, and all he has to do to make it stop, is renounce God. Sidney reappea ...more
Oct 27, 2012 Kat rated it did not like it
Shelves: plays, 2012
Basic plot: the Book of Job, 1970's style.

This play did not do anything for me. The jokes, such as they are, didn't seem funny to me. Not being a follower of Judaism or Christianity makes these religious stories fall flat with me. There is nothing here that transcends individual religions. It just makes me wonder about people who would follow a deity who beats up on them just to see if they'll take it.

Side note: I grew up hearing that Neil Simon was essentially "the man" in theatre and that his
Jessica Barkl
Aug 12, 2011 Jessica Barkl rated it really liked it
I liked this play a lot. It was written in the 1970s and has the structure of the Book of Job. This play is being produced at the Little Theater of Walla Walla this season, and I read it because I've never read it. I thought about auditioning, but...I was working...and I don't think I would be good in any of the parts. Anyway, it is a great comedy and I think it would be an amazing set design project for you want an oldy, but a goody, take a look. It's not dated.
I last read this play by Neil Simon when I was in high school eighteen years ago. I remembered it being very funny and decided to re-read it to fulfill a challenge to read a book published in 1975.

This play is Neil Simon's version of the book of Job in the bible. It was an amusing story and makes me want to read more plays by Simon.
Aug 31, 2014 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I laughed out loud while reading this play. Neil Simon is soooo funny and clever. He missed some opportunities to go deeper with the Job parallels, but clearly that was not his purpose in writing. His purpose was to be hilarious, and he achieved that purpose! I definitely want to read more Neil Simon now.
Nov 03, 2015 Ceridwyn rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
Fun to revisit neil Simon after many years. His voice is still entertaining. Reminded me of days gone by.
Oct 11, 2014 Brendan rated it really liked it
One of my favorite Neil Simon plays, probably because it was one of the first I ever saw. Mostly I love the interchange between Joe and Sidney.
Matt Dickson
Matt Dickson rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2013
Sherry Mccamley
Sherry Mccamley rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2012
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2012
Cassie rated it did not like it
Nov 30, 2012
Gonuguntla Satya
Gonuguntla Satya rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2011
Timothy Cox
Timothy Cox rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2007
Christopher rated it it was ok
Aug 29, 2012
Denise rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2008
Brandon Harwood
Brandon Harwood rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2008
Mahonri rated it it was ok
Dec 22, 2012
Matthew Keller
Matthew Keller rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2012
Sam Radom
Sam Radom rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2008
Michael rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Caleb Trimble
Caleb Trimble rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2012
Sasha rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2013
Maisey rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Yardbird rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2014
Max rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2014
Kaethe rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2014
Kitty Fishinger
Kitty Fishinger rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2012
Carol Bayley
Carol Bayley rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Lend Me a Tenor
  • Christopher, Durang: 27 Short Plays v. 1: Vol 1 (Contemporary Playwrights)
  • Veronica's Room
  • The Adventures of Rabbi Harvey: A Graphic Novel of Jewish Wisdom and Wit in the Wild West
  • Almost, Maine
  • The Hot l Baltimore
  • Kerrigan in Copenhagen: A Love Story
  • Splendor in the Grass
  • The Other Shore: Plays
  • The Humor of Christ: A Bold Challenge to the Traditional Stereotype of a Somber, Gloomy Christ
  • The Takeover (Podiobook)
  • Incident at Vichy
  • Butterflies Are Free
Marvin Neil Simon is an American playwright and screenwriter. He is one of the most reliable hitmakers in Broadway history, as well as one of the most performed playwrights in the world. Though primarily a comic writer, some of his plays, particularly the Eugene Trilogy and The Sunshine Boys, reflect on the twentieth century Jewish-American experience.
More about Neil Simon...