Start by marking “What Southern Women Know (That Every Woman Should): Timeless Secrets to Get Everything you Want in Love, Life, and Work” as Want to Read:

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  355 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
A Southern Belle Primer meets The Rules in this engaging volume that explains the mystique of Southern women and why they always get what they want, and shows women how to get the same kind of romantic, professional, and personal success.
Published September 1st 2000 by TarcherPerigee (first published 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about What Southern Women Know (That Every Woman Should)

Michele
Nov 05, 2009 Michele rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life
I absolutely love this book. I every time I read it someone borrows it from me, and more often then not I never get it back. :) It's witty, and fun, and oozing with southern charm. It has a lot of the manners that people have forgotten, and has tons of little tips that I loved adding into my life.
Makenzie
Oct 11, 2011 Makenzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This really is a fun, flirty, enjoyable read. As others have said, the main point of it is just to be kind and respectful when dealing with other people. The other day I got a bit of extra attention at the airport when people were having luggage issues. I was very polite and had a smile on my face as I approached him to deal with the issue, and at the end he even said I had a nice smile. All I could think to myself was that my mother and Ronda would be proud. Common courtesy can go a long way wh ...more
Pam
Feb 23, 2009 Pam rated it liked it
It boils down to bringing back civility to our society. We get more out of life using a bit of honey rather than vinegar. We can be confident without being brash and caustic.
Allyson
Jun 04, 2008 Allyson rated it did not like it
Read it for book club and it was terrible. She recommends wearing the shortest shirt possible to get what you want in life. Really. And not in jest.
Sarah Copenhaver
Dec 07, 2008 Sarah Copenhaver rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book to oppose the views in a paper. I didn't agree with about 99.9% of it.
Lilia
Feb 22, 2015 Lilia rated it really liked it
Shelves: being-southern
Love this book. The theme seems to be about embracing your femininity and respecting its strength while making your way in the world. The first page with "Southern Truths for Daily Living" says, "A woman can be both tough and nice." I have seen many fine examples of that, living here in Virginia, and not just from native Southerners. We are exposed to so much more of the flip side through the media. Even in our harried, everyday lives, we can forget to smile, notice other folks going about their ...more
Stephanie McGregor
Nov 05, 2013 Stephanie McGregor rated it really liked it
I 'read' this on audio book. The introduction was quite annoying because of the much too loud background music and almost put me off listening any further, but I had to do some house work and put it back on after a few weeks. I really liked this view inside the world of a Southern family. The stories that were related to the reader were really sweet and filled with Southern Christian values. I bought this because, not be from the south, I was doing some research for my next YA and being abroad r ...more
pianogal
Jul 28, 2010 pianogal rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Some good ideas here, but the author carries it too far - at least for this Yankee girl. I can only imagine the looks I would get if I tried to convince my boss to do something by starting the sentence with "Now you are just the smartest person I know and..." I'm not even sure I could keep a straight face, that's just so ridiculous - even if my boss really is the smartest person I know. It's so blatant and manipulative.

I did like the point, though, that it is always easier to negotiate from a pl
Kristal
Feb 18, 2016 Kristal rated it it was ok
To use a phrase by the author in the book: "Unequivocally, the most important bit of wisdom possessed by Southern women is that the syrupy stickiness of sweet honey always catches more flies than the bitterness of liquid vinegar."

This presents a good over-all idea of the theory behind why the author believes that Southern women can be more successful, due to their steel magnolia countenance. Personally, I believe any woman could learn a few useful life lessons in this book.
Alexis
Nov 26, 2013 Alexis rated it it was ok
the "anti-Lean In". maybe the title should be: What Southern Women Know (Lean Out!) instead? Her strategies are pretty hilar- one anecdote talks about how to get your man to "drape you in the latest Versace" (Versayce- Nomi Malone). This is more of a 1.5 because it was pretty entertaining to read sections aloud to my husband and was a quick read.
Pam
Jan 06, 2008 Pam rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Women
This book is full of hilarious anecdotes about Southern Women and how they have been succesful in life and love by applying certain "Southern" principles in their lives.
The author recommends that women combine their feminity and charm with their shrewdness and charm to "get everything they want in Love, Life and Work.
Charlane Brady
Jul 25, 2008 Charlane Brady rated it liked it
Funny. I laughed a lot - at things I agree with (I am from Louisiana, a southern gal) and at things that I could not believe she honestly thought would help anyone. All in all I enjoyed her overall concept to "accent your life with laughter" and to "choose your battles carefully".

Lvolk
Aug 14, 2010 Lvolk rated it liked it
I didn't finish reading this one. Each chapter was kind of the same as the one before it. Basically the message is "be nice" because it makes for a more pleasant existence for you and the people you come in contact with. I'll try............
Michele
Dec 03, 2015 Michele rated it it was amazing
•More flies are caught with honey than vinegar.
•Positive, optimistic attitudes are a necessity of life.
•Kindness and compassion are never out of date or out of style.
Quite the fun read that every true Southern woman would enjoy
Emmy
Jun 08, 2013 Emmy rated it really liked it
This is a great book. It is like a miss manners book but with southern charm. I like it. The book talks about genuine compliments and making people feel good about themselves. I thought the book made sense and I enjoyed it.
Frank
Mar 25, 2009 Frank rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Loved this book from cover to cover. Will check out Rhonda Rich's other books.
Timeless Secrets to Get Everything You Want in Love, Life, and Work. That is the Subtitle of this book. Worth Reading.
Rebecca
Dec 12, 2007 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book about how to live a fun, fulfilled life. I still remember to smile and sugar coat things with honey when you're in a "sticky" situation. Good tips on how to provide excellent hospitality.
Patty
Jan 21, 2014 Patty rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Ronda Rich tells some very funny stories in this book. However, if you were raised as a proper southern lady, there is no reason to read this book because you already know how you should behave.
Cindy
Jul 06, 2008 Cindy added it
Okay, picked this up at Half Priced Books for $1.... It is funny to see how your surroundings can mold your personality and expectations... If you can find it for $1 read it for a laugh....
Mar 18, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Oooooh, I love this book. Any lady from the south (and anyone that wants to know about Southern women - hint, hint, guys!) should read this book. Gad, I wanna go read it again!
Nicole Marble
Aug 27, 2007 Nicole Marble rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: women
Charming. And good guidance for everyday living regarding politeness, good manners and swkward situations. Especially for those who think Minnie Pearl represents Southern women.
Erin Cheyne
Sep 28, 2014 Erin Cheyne rated it it was amazing
I was really expecting a cheesy read that would put me to sleep in the first chapter: it was anything but. charming, hilarious and down to earth.
Zandra
Bless her heart, Ms. Ronda tried, didn't she. This book was quite, um....interesting, but good for her for going for her dream!
Brandy
I really, really, really didn't like this. The writing felt forced and the author, a caricature of a southern bell.
Gwen
Dec 30, 2015 Gwen rated it liked it
Kind of an interesting mix of lipstick feminism and gender essentialism.
Stephwereley
Jun 06, 2013 Stephwereley rated it it was ok
The writing's not stellar, but I liked the content. Charm disarms, y'all!
Sami
Nov 02, 2012 Sami rated it it was amazing
A fabulous book! Definitely recommend it to all my southern girls.
Daelith
May 02, 2008 Daelith marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: bookcrossing
I tried to read this twice and it just wasn't catching my attention.
Leanne
Sep 28, 2008 Leanne rated it really liked it
This was a fun book to read having been raised in the South.
Susie Orsenigo
May 10, 2014 Susie Orsenigo rated it really liked it
If you are a steel magnolia, this is the book for you!
  • Puttin' on the Grits: A Guide to Southern Entertaining
  • A Southern Belle Primer, Or Why Princess Margaret Will Never Be A Kappa Kappa Gamma
  • Curses! Broiled Again!
  • The Southern Belle's Handbook: Sissy LeBlanc's Rules to Live by
  • Some Day You'll Thank Me for This: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Being a "Perfect" Mother
  • Flat Belly Diet! Pocket Guide: Featuring Your ULTIMATE 28-Day Eating Plan for Lasting Weight Loss
  • Celebration, U.S.A.: Living in Disney's Brave New Town
  • Christmas in Ritual and Tradition, Christian and Pagan
  • Gardening for a Lifetime: How to Garden Wiser as You Grow Older
  • Off the Eaten Path: Favorite Southern Dives and 150 Recipes that Made Them Famous (Southern Living)
  • InterCourses: An Aphrodisiac Cookbook
  • Braving Home: Dispatches from the Underwater Town, the Lava-Side Inn, and Other Extreme Locales
  • Sunflower Houses: Inspiration From the Garden--A Book for Children and Their Grown-Ups
  • Sons of the Profits: There's No Business Like Grow Business. The Seattle Story, 1851-1901
  • Suck Your Stomach in and Put Some Color On!: What Southern Mamas Tell Their Daughters that the Rest of Y'all Should Know Too
  • American Thighs: The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Preserving Your Assets
  • White Trash Cooking
  • The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder

“It is cynical to say never trust anyone, but it is realistic to say rarely trust completely.” 2 likes