Start by marking “What Southern Women Know (That Every Woman Should): Timeless Secrets to Get Everything you Want in Love, Life, and Work” as Want to Read:

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A Southern Belle Primer meets The Rules in this engaging volume that explains the mystique of Southern women and why they always get what they want, and shows women how to get the same kind of romantic, professional, and personal success.
Published September 1st 2000 by Perigee Trade (first published 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about What Southern Women Know (That Every Woman Should)

Makenzie
This really is a fun, flirty, enjoyable read. As others have said, the main point of it is just to be kind and respectful when dealing with other people. The other day I got a bit of extra attention at the airport when people were having luggage issues. I was very polite and had a smile on my face as I approached him to deal with the issue, and at the end he even said I had a nice smile. All I could think to myself was that my mother and Ronda would be proud. Common courtesy can go a long way wh ...more
Michele
I absolutely love this book. I every time I read it someone borrows it from me, and more often then not I never get it back. :) It's witty, and fun, and oozing with southern charm. It has a lot of the manners that people have forgotten, and has tons of little tips that I loved adding into my life.
Pam
It boils down to bringing back civility to our society. We get more out of life using a bit of honey rather than vinegar. We can be confident without being brash and caustic.
Stephanie McGregor
I 'read' this on audio book. The introduction was quite annoying because of the much too loud background music and almost put me off listening any further, but I had to do some house work and put it back on after a few weeks. I really liked this view inside the world of a Southern family. The stories that were related to the reader were really sweet and filled with Southern Christian values. I bought this because, not be from the south, I was doing some research for my next YA and being abroad r ...more
Erin Cheyne
I was really expecting a cheesy read that would put me to sleep in the first chapter: it was anything but. charming, hilarious and down to earth.
pianogal
Some good ideas here, but the author carries it too far - at least for this Yankee girl. I can only imagine the looks I would get if I tried to convince my boss to do something by starting the sentence with "Now you are just the smartest person I know and..." I'm not even sure I could keep a straight face, that's just so ridiculous - even if my boss really is the smartest person I know. It's so blatant and manipulative.

I did like the point, though, that it is always easier to negotiate from a pl
Susie Orsenigo
If you are a steel magnolia, this is the book for you!
Mary
Tee hee. It's cute and fun and light.
Kristen
Well, yes, we know these things.
Alexis
the "anti-Lean In". maybe the title should be: What Southern Women Know (Lean Out!) instead? Her strategies are pretty hilar- one anecdote talks about how to get your man to "drape you in the latest Versace" (Versayce- Nomi Malone). This is more of a 1.5 because it was pretty entertaining to read sections aloud to my husband and was a quick read.
Pam
Jan 06, 2008 Pam rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All Women
This book is full of hilarious anecdotes about Southern Women and how they have been succesful in life and love by applying certain "Southern" principles in their lives.
The author recommends that women combine their feminity and charm with their shrewdness and charm to "get everything they want in Love, Life and Work.
Charlane Brady
Funny. I laughed a lot - at things I agree with (I am from Louisiana, a southern gal) and at things that I could not believe she honestly thought would help anyone. All in all I enjoyed her overall concept to "accent your life with laughter" and to "choose your battles carefully".

Lvolk
I didn't finish reading this one. Each chapter was kind of the same as the one before it. Basically the message is "be nice" because it makes for a more pleasant existence for you and the people you come in contact with. I'll try............
Emmy Campbell
This is a great book. It is like a miss manners book but with southern charm. I like it. The book talks about genuine compliments and making people feel good about themselves. I thought the book made sense and I enjoyed it.
Patty
Ronda Rich tells some very funny stories in this book. However, if you were raised as a proper southern lady, there is no reason to read this book because you already know how you should behave.
Frank
Loved this book from cover to cover. Will check out Rhonda Rich's other books.
Timeless Secrets to Get Everything You Want in Love, Life, and Work. That is the Subtitle of this book. Worth Reading.
Rebecca
This was a fun book about how to live a fun, fulfilled life. I still remember to smile and sugar coat things with honey when you're in a "sticky" situation. Good tips on how to provide excellent hospitality.
Cindy
Jul 06, 2008 Cindy added it
Okay, picked this up at Half Priced Books for $1.... It is funny to see how your surroundings can mold your personality and expectations... If you can find it for $1 read it for a laugh....
Oooooh, I love this book. Any lady from the south (and anyone that wants to know about Southern women - hint, hint, guys!) should read this book. Gad, I wanna go read it again!
Nicole Marble
Aug 27, 2007 Nicole Marble rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women
Charming. And good guidance for everyday living regarding politeness, good manners and swkward situations. Especially for those who think Minnie Pearl represents Southern women.
Allyson
Read it for book club and it was terrible. She recommends wearing the shortest shirt possible to get what you want in life. Really. And not in jest.
Sarah Copenhaver
I read this book to oppose the views in a paper. I didn't agree with about 99.9% of it.
Stephwereley
The writing's not stellar, but I liked the content. Charm disarms, y'all!
Sami
A fabulous book! Definitely recommend it to all my southern girls.
Daelith
May 02, 2008 Daelith marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: bookcrossing
I tried to read this twice and it just wasn't catching my attention.
Leanne
This was a fun book to read having been raised in the South.
Heather Love
This is my favorite gift for friends who move to the South!
Judith
Aug 20, 2013 Judith added it
Recommends it for: my female friends
Recommended to Judith by: no one - discovered it at the library
Fun to read - has good humor plus many 'true-isms'...
Sena
The only good thing about this book was that I finished it.
Janet
Fun book of Southern women's guide to life.
  • A Southern Belle Primer, Or Why Princess Margaret Will Never Be A Kappa Kappa Gamma
  • Puttin' on the Grits: A Guide to Southern Entertaining
  • Curses! Broiled Again!
  • Sons of the Profits; or, There's No Business like Grow Business: The Seattle Story, 1851-1901
  • Braving Home: Dispatches from the Underwater Town, the Lava-Side Inn, and Other Extreme Locales
  • Christmas in Plains: Memories
  • White Trash Cooking
  • The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder
  • Somebody Is Going to Die If Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch That Bouquet: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Hosting the Perfect Wedding
  • Suck Your Stomach In and Put Some Color On!: What Southern Mamas Tell Their Daughters that the Rest of Y'all Should Know Too
  • The Rules of Gentility
  • Cooking from Quilt Country : Hearty Recipes from Amish and Mennonite Kitchens
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • Stainless: A Modern Romance
  • What the Dormouse Said: Lessons for Grown-ups from Children's Books
  • Gastroanomalies: Questionable Culinary Creations from the Golden Age of American Cookery
  • Sara Midda's South of France: A Sketchbook
  • Whisper Of Blood
The Town That Came A-Courtin' What Southern Women Know about Faith: Celebrating a Heritage of Grace and Strength What Southern Women Know About Flirting: The Fine Art of Social, Courtship, and Seductive Flirting to Get the Best Things There's a Better Day A-Comin': How to Find the Upside During the Down Times My Life in the Pits: Living and Learning on the NASCAR Winston Cup Circuit

“It is cynical to say never trust anyone, but it is realistic to say rarely trust completely.” 2 likes