4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  22 reviews
It's summer in the small seaport town of Astoria and The Goonies are restless. Big developers threaten to take over the town. Then Mikey finds an old pirate map and the kids take off to find the loot that can save their neighborhood. But they never counted on skeletons with swords, a booby-trapped underground passage and the murderous ex-con, all of whom want the Goonies'...more
Published October 31st 2009 by Warner Books (first published January 1st 1985)

Kenneth
Kenneth Ellmore
April 10, 2013
5R

The Goonies
The goonies are a group of kids who try looking for treasure. There are a group of kids who are best friends there are 4 of them and their names are Mickey, Mouth, Chunk, and Data. They call themselves the goonies. They are hanging out one day in Mickey’s house and then they decide to go upstairs where there dad has all of his belongings, that’s where they stumbled upon a map for One eyed willies treasure. That’s when Mickey was explaining to them about...more
Jen A.
Sep 07, 2011 Jen A. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
A classic that's just as fun and easy a read as watching the film. This was my first time reading the book; it's been a while since I saw the movie, and I was really surprised at how familiar I was (usually I'm pretty inclined to forget plot points and story lines).

The book is told solely in the voice of Michael, or Mikey, Walsh. I actually really enjoyed the perspective of reading this adventure story from a single storyteller's perspective instead of just watching all of the action.

Reading t...more
Jake
Speaking as someone who has met the actor who played Chunk (doesn't matter for a book review, but I had to brag), I loved reading this book.

The Goonies remains one of my all-time favorite children adventure stories. Like all novelizations, the book as I remember it offers some additional details and slight variations. Most importantly, you get to spend more time with Sloth and Chunk.

It's light. It's fantasy. And it is fun.
Aaron
More childhood memories of books I read. Again, ones based on movies. Question: Why did I read the book and see the movie? Wouldn't one or the other suffice? Go figure.
Sarah Sindorf
Resenha do blog Sincerando.com, escrita por Sarah Sindorf

"Aqui embaixo era um mundo diferente. Era a vida e a morte, e maravilhas e romance, e poços sem fundo e riquezas fabulosas. Aqui você precisava pisar leve e ser rápido no gatilho."

Quem lembra deles? Fiquei chocada ao perguntar à alguns amigos se se lembravam, e vários disseram que não. Felizmente, ao mostrar uma foto do filme ou dizer a sinopse, alguns se lembraram. Os Goonies embalaram minha infância, primeiro com o jogo com o qual eu fi...more
Damien Morley
I really love this movie, so I wanted to read this book to see how close it was to the movie and it was pretty much spot on. there were a few more scenes that were in the deleted scenes of the movie that I found, but other than that there were pretty much identical. I personally like the movie better because the book described more about different parts in the movie that could have been more simplified. other than that I enjoyed the book. it would be a good book to read if you enjoy mystery's.
Rebecca
Now before I start I just want to say I love this movie! It is one of my favourites. Unfortunately for me the book did not live up to the film. It was the way it was written in first person from the point of view of Mikey (played by Sean Astin) it meant it did not for me feel like the film! Dialogue was changed things were omitted or added and it just wasn't the same. For me if I buy a movie tie-in I do it because I loved the film so it is disappointing when they change it!
Karlton
The novelization is a lost art of the twentieth century. I guess with the advent of home video, there was no need for a book version of a movie that you could pick up and watch at home on television. When I was a kid, I'd devour adaptations of movies I liked, but they seem to have gone away for better or worse.

I was intrigued to see that Amazon had a Kindle version of this little book, and it is one of the better novelizations I've read. James Kahn solves the POV problem with some ingenuity, and...more
Sebastien
Dec 05, 2011 Sebastien rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fan de fantasy et d'aventure
Shelves: movie-novel
Que dire des Goonies. Je me rappel qu'après avoir lu Gremlins j'ai dû me trouver rapidement un livre pour lire en période de lecture et c'était le dernier disponible dans la bibliothèque de l'école.

Je l'ai donc emprunté en souvenir de ce film que j'avais écouté étant jeune.

Je dois dire que le livre est tellement fidèle au film que c'est à croire que c'était le scénario utilisé. A part quelque scènes ici et là, le livre est une copie conforme.

L'aventure reste tout de même intéressante, même si el...more
Emadacuz
Il film e' un'icona della gioventu' anni 80. Il libro e' una piccola gemma nascosta che tanti ignorano, ingiustamente. Perche' alle vicende del film, si aggiungono tante nuove situazioni che lo rendono esaltante! Ai limiti dell'immaginazione. Mi piacerebbe molto ritrovarne una copia e potermelo gustare davanti al fuoco di un camino!
Marco E.
Charlie Mcallister
i don't know why, but this is one of my favorite books of all time. he wrote it like a teenage boy's diary, and it really outdoes the movie. and i love the movie. when i was a kid, i wanted to be a jedi or a goonie.
Allan Luna
Seen the movie a gazillion times. It's one of my all time favorite movies. Someday I'm going to read the book.
the Reeds
Back in the 80's I read many, many movie adaptations. I don't know why.
Gabriel Souza
I had such a good time reading this book. Its so easy to jump in the history.
Jillian
Jul 01, 2010 Jillian marked it as to-read
oh. my. god. this. is. a. book. w.t.f. this just made my day.
Kelli Lee
May 13, 2011 Kelli Lee marked it as to-read
My all time favorite movie is in book form? I must read. Like now.
Rachel
Silly, I know. Loved the movie, so I read the book.
Aimee Ash
True innocent adventure that reminds me of my childhood
Werner Toelen
great book I had the Dutch translation one
Ken
A very cute, very fun read.
Melinda
All time childhood favorite
Jonagainwho
"Goonies never say die!"
Jane Waller
Jane Waller marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Carol Matheus
Carol Matheus marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jared Mallowes
Jared Mallowes marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
  • The Variable Man and Other Stories
  • The Traveler
  • Danny and the Dinosaur Go to Camp
  • Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (The Junior Novelization)
  • Press Enter
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • The Children's Story
  • Alien 3
20035
James Kahn is an American medical specialist and writer, best known for his novelization of Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi. Born in Chicago on December 30, 1947, Kahn received a degree in medical studies from the University of Chicago. His post-graduate training, specializing in Emergency Medicine, was completed at USC-LA County Hospital and UCLA. His original work includes three novels...more
More about James Kahn...
Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (Star Wars, #6) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Poltergeist World Enough, and Time Time's Dark Laughter