Start by marking “Dear Ra (a Story in Flinches)” as Want to Read:
Dear Ra (a Story in Flinches)

Dear Ra (a Story in Flinches)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Poetry. Fiction. In this indeterminate text comprised of letters, resembling both fiction and poetry but not wholly comfortable in either category, each sentence is like being stabbed by a beautiful murderer, each new entry like crossing a border into another language. "As intimate as it is expansive, this hybrid prose-poem-novel trips from razor-blade symphonies, to the h ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Starcherone Books

To ask other readers questions about Dear Ra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Ra

Ipsith
It's a great book. Johannes language swells throughout DEAR RA. He has what I can only call "moves" that make statements, then unmake them, or explode them, or drill into them:

"Before refrigerators were invented, people used to pour salt on their fish. Before rocking horses were invented, horses used to kick holes in walls. My hole is deep. Your hole is cold as a glove on the ground."
Leslie
These epistolary poems are noisy, and within the noise there are lines like tiny stabs in my gut. I am pretty sure Johannes Goransson is psychically stabbing me with opalescent cocktail swords as we speak. Do I sound unstable yet? That is the cost of reading Dear Ra and that is such high praise.

Amy
Time Lord

I have been thinking about which book I have read exhibits the characteristics of the current DOCTOR WHO television series: pitch-perfect disturbing, funny, wild, and theoretically jigsaw, all in the sweet envelope of a tesseract bigger on the inside than the outside that only a book of poetry can construct.

After much consideration, and with gratitude for my entire library, as well as for the “indefinite and perhaps infinite number of hexagonal galleries” of my library to come, I am pl
Eugene
woah. that was pretty great.

a furious, unexpected poem. were you angry when bush won? how about when s/he said no? high school? when it was taken from you, and you were refused, and when you failed again and again? the poet takes and liquefies all that sick violence of actual and imagined experience and pours it into these missives to a sun-god.

maybe i don't know but it feels like it's a poem of a particular kind, a genre that you thought was always there but you just never saw in actuality bef
Donald
Hypnotic and necessary.
Sheldon Lee Compton
Sheldon Lee Compton marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Sade
Sade marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
A. Ch'arc
A. Ch'arc marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Wendy Eley
Wendy Eley marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Carolyn Yao
Carolyn Yao marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
adrenalexpire
adrenalexpire marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Jacob
Jacob marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Winkhorst
Winkhorst marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Lydia Chiussi
Lydia Chiussi marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2013
Rand
Rand marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
1120663
Johannes Göransson is interested in approaches to writing that crosses boundaries – such as genre conventions and linguistic borders – and blurs the demarcations of the autonomous text. He is the author of three books of his own writings – A New Quarantine Will Take My Place, Dear Ra and Pilot (Johann the Carousel Horse) – with one more forthcoming in 2011, The Entrance Pageant. He wrote a perform ...more
More about Johannes Goransson...
Entrance to a colonial pageant in which we all begin to intricate A New Quarantine Will Take My Place Haute Surveillance Pilot: Johann the Carousel Horse In Praise of Virgins (chapbook)