Start by marking “Wish You Were Here” as Want to Read:
Wish You Were Here

Wish You Were Here

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  441 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Freya Daly has always been a smart businesswoman - tough, unemotional, and a killer at negotiations. But for the last few months, she's been bursting into tears for no reason at all. Even though she's sure it must be some kind of rare eye condition, her boss (and father) removes her from her usual task of buying high-rent commercial properties in Boston, and banishes her t ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Forever (first published August 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Wish You Were Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wish You Were Here

Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Silver Chair by C.S. LewisA Room of One's Own by Virginia WoolfThe Leopard by Giuseppe Tomasi di LampedusaExistentialism Is a Humanism by Jean-Paul Sartre
Chairs on Covers
116th out of 150 books — 38 voters
Summer Rental by Mary Kay AndrewsBeach Trip by Cathy HoltonThe Girls of August by Anne Rivers SiddonsWhat Remains by Carole RadziwillThe Rumor by Elin Hilderbrand
Beach Chairs
21st out of 30 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane Stewart
Sep 28, 2010 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. Feel-good book. Enjoyable, pleasant reading about human relationships with romance and mystery.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
There is a lot of good conversation and some heartwarming lines. I was chuckling several times and laughed out loud a few times. I loved the interaction and conversations between Piper and Freya. Nate was a neat guy, open, sensitive and honorable. The author did a decent job creating the bad guys. The plot was good.

STORY BRIEF:
Richard Daly is a wealthy real estate develope
Cheryl
Oct 14, 2008 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Freya Daly is ready to take over her father’s company when he retires. Unfortunately her father does not think Freya is ready and wants her to prove her worth. So he sends Freya to Deer Creek, Idaho. If Freya can get the owner, Nate Brody to sell his campground then Freya’s father will let her run his company. For Freya this will be just another walk in the park. She buys up businesses all the time. Once Freya sees the campground and how run down it is; she knows she has this deal in the bag.

Na
Kelly Moran
Nov 13, 2008 Kelly Moran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
Summing up Wish You Were Here, by Lani Diane Rich, in one word is endearing. Lani Diane Rich is a best-selling author, with such titles as: Crazy in Love, The Comeback Kiss, Maybe Baby, Ex and the Single Girl, and Time Off For Good Behavior. She resides in New York with her family.
Freya Daly has developed what she likes to call “a condition.” She couldn’t quit crying. She is so very close to getting everything she wants- to take over her father’s Boston real estate business when he retires, and
Deborah Blake
Mar 12, 2011 Deborah Blake rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous read from Lani Diane Rich. This woman can really write!

Freya Daly is trying to be all business, as usual. Too bad she has developed this peculiar eye condition...one that looks a whole lot like she is crying. At the drop of a hat. She goes to Deer Creek, Idaho to prove herself to her father so she can take over his business when he retires. But there is a WHOLE LOT he's not telling her.

Nate Brody would love to sell the campground that Freya is trying to buy. But he has secrets,
Mary
Mar 05, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
The characters seem believable. Nate, Freya, Piper and Ruby seem like people you know. They are all feisty. They all swear like sailors, even the eleven year old. That might put people off.
Donnajo
Nov 25, 2011 Donnajo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
NL's book crawl Idaho
took me long enough to finally read this book. turned out to be very enjoyable. new author for me.
Vicki
Oct 30, 2008 Vicki rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Cute contemporary romance although the "mystery" is contrived.
Michelle
Apr 01, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
great, but horrible cover!
Julie Doner
Nov 17, 2013 Julie Doner rated it it was amazing
I love it when a book surprises me, and this book was chock full of them!

I fell in love with Freya. I adored everything about her--from her "crying condition" to her willingness to ride bikes with a young girl who was stubborn enough to convince her why she should. And how could anyone not love Nate? He's hot, he's handy, he's a gentleman, and the man can cook. Ladies, do we really need anything more?

What I also loved about this book were the supporting players. Ruby was fabulous. I cracked up
Bobbie  Crawford-Flinn
Nov 14, 2008 Bobbie Crawford-Flinn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Romance Readers
Wish You Were Here,
Written By: Lani Diane Rich
Published By: Forever, an imprint of Grand Central Publishing (Hachette Book Group) USA, Inc., New York, 2008, First Edition, 288 pages, paperback, ISBN 978-0-446-61825-0

Wish You Were Here will charm and enchant you with the entertainingly-witty, romantic characters and story; simply spectacular! BCM

Just one last hoop to jump through and the business would be hers. Freya Daly was so close to being selected as her father’s successor that she could t
Ellen (more books, please)
What a fun book. I haven't read any of Ms. Rich before but I feel a glom coming on.

This is a light rom suspense. It has likeable characters, even a moppet that is not just a plot moppet. The 11-year-old girl acts/reacts as a child would in the situations she finds herself in (due to the actions of adults, not because she is just too too precious and finds herself in multiple cute situations). Her presence in the story adds depth and dimension.

These are "people" who would never meet each other if
Katie
Jan 17, 2016 Katie rated it liked it
A fairly standard, stereotypical romance novel. Writing is really well done, but plot feels formulaic and some characters underdeveloped and shallow. Easy, pleasant, non-taxing read.
Brenda
Feb 19, 2014 Brenda rated it liked it
I enjoyed Piper and Ruby more than the actual romance, although I liked the characters; and she could have left out the mystery completely - it really added nothing to the story.
Darla Stokes
Feb 28, 2016 Darla Stokes rated it it was amazing
Just lovely. Vivid, relatable characters with understandable motives and a fast-moving, interesting plot. I laughed and cried and didn't put it down until I was done.
Olga Godim
Nov 18, 2012 Olga Godim rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I liked the book. It strikes the right balance between love and villainy, romance and mystery. The characters are believable and flawed, especially the female heroine Freya. I didn’t like her very much; she is too cold and trying to stay that way. She resists emotions, but life keeps pushing them her way. Obviously a change is imminent.
The male protagonist Nate is too good to be true, absolutely yummy, and he finally melts even Freya’s formidable ice shell. And what do you know: beneath all tha
Diane ~Firefly~
Freya seems to be in the middle of a breakdown. She has a mysterious "condition" that causes her eyes to leak, the once tough negotiator is now horrible at it and this job to buy a place in Idaho is her last hoop to go through to impress her dad.

Nate made a promise to his dad on his death-bed and it is interfering with his life, although his daughter seems happier.

The book was good. Nate and Freya fell for each other a little too quickly, but Piper was a gem and Ruby was pretty cool too. The my
Carolyn F.
I've enjoyed this author's books so far however I was a little disappointed in this book. First of all the wig on the cover model is awful! Why didn't they just put a blonde there? The romance didn't seem to gel for me. And the initial huge offer for the property, (view spoiler) Anyway, I'm going to take a Lani Diane Rich break and then come back to read more of this author's books. ...more
Hallie
Dec 30, 2013 Hallie rated it liked it
Not my favourite of the books by Rich I've read, mostly because the romance was so incredibly rushed. It had to be, given the premise, but that didn't make me buy it any more. Nate was a delightfully good guy, though, and I liked Freya herself pretty well too. The mystery element was wildly over the top, though, which is a pity, as the good stuff got a bit buried in the not-so-good.
Kristen
Sep 07, 2015 Kristen rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book! It was exactly what I needed. :)
Cindy
May 19, 2014 Cindy rated it did not like it
I really wanted to like this book, but I couldn't even finish it. Overall plot is intriguing but the relationship between the two main characters is sickeningly unrealistic - in no way would a professional woman behave in this manner with her career on the line. I couldn't bring myself to read further which is too bad because the mystery of the book would be worth reading if it weren't for the "love" relationship of the two characters.
Laurie
Nov 10, 2013 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another entertaining read from Lani Diane Rich.
I liked the story line as we find Freya trying to buy some property from Nate. They both have their reasons for their actions, Freya in wanting it and Nate's reasons for not wanting to sell.
I thought the chemistry was very apparent between the two of them.
Toss in Nate's daughter Piper, a 11 year old that forms a bond with Freya and that adds an additional layer to an already compelling story.
Sam
An enjoyable light quick read.
Laura Dogsmom
Jan 27, 2012 Laura Dogsmom rated it really liked it
Definitely chick lit but not overly mushy. There was a good story line, a few twists and turns to keep the reader interested. Not too many characters to keep track of, well described to make you appreciate them.
I enjoyed Lani's writing style and look forward to reading more by her.
Mireille
Jul 28, 2015 Mireille rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, read-in-2013
This was fun! Not much to say about it. Freya felt like a different kind of heroine. I was a bit surprised to have a suspense going on since there was no trace of that in the other Lani Diane Rich's books I'd read, but it worked well enough here.
Barbara
Oct 23, 2013 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really cute story, little romance and mystery. I loved Piper and would loved to see how she reacted to her Dad bringing Freya home. Would have loved even a short epilogue.
But I loved it very sweet read.
Ry
Jun 12, 2009 Ry rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, romance
The story of Freya and Nate. This is one of those "real people" funny books. You only come across a few of these in a lifetime so don't skip over this book. Take the time to sit down and appreciate it.
Caffenero
Oct 21, 2013 Caffenero rated it really liked it
It's a very good book with sparkling dialogues and characters that seems like real caring people, but I think that the moment of Freya departure is awkward (Forced angst?) o.O
Kristine
Mar 30, 2009 Kristine rated it it was ok
I was so disappointed by this book! Also--major language and content alert. The bottom line is--a "happy ending" doesn't make up for all the distasteful stuff!
Renee
Nov 14, 2008 Renee added it
Lani Diane Rich delivers her most emotional novel to date, about a woman who unexpectedly finds the family she never knew she was looking for. It's a keeper.
Antonia
Aug 06, 2012 Antonia rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it very much. Quirky and engaging, as is typical of the author's style in 'A Little Night Magic', where she was writing as Lucy March.
  • Simple Wishes
  • Sight Unseen
  • Blame It On Cupid
  • Love in Bloom
  • A Little Night Magic (Nodaway Falls, #1)
  • Dogs and Goddesses
  • Addicted to Love (Wedding Veil Wishes, #3)
  • The Spirits of Christmas (Tassamara, #2.5)
  • Into the Wild (The McGraws, #2)
  • Seeing Red
  • How to Score
  • Unraveled (UN-Forgettable, #2)
  • Unscripted
  • Talk of the Town
  • She Drives Me Crazy (Walker Brothers, #1)
  • Love is a Four-Legged Word
  • Demon's Hunger (Compact of Sorcerers, #2)
  • Carolina Home (Dare Island, #1)