Wish You Were Here

Wish You Were Here

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  315 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Freya Daly has always been a smart businesswoman - tough, unemotional, and a killer at negotiations. But for the last few months, she's been bursting into tears for no reason at all. Even though she's sure it must be some kind of rare eye condition, her boss (and father) removes her from her usual task of buying high-rent commercial properties in Boston, and banishes her t...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Forever (first published August 17th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Wish You Were Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wish You Were Here

Jane Stewart
4.5 stars. Feel-good book. Enjoyable, pleasant reading about human relationships with romance and mystery.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
There is a lot of good conversation and some heartwarming lines. I was chuckling several times and laughed out loud a few times. I loved the interaction and conversations between Piper and Freya. Nate was a neat guy, open, sensitive and honorable. The author did a decent job creating the bad guys. The plot was good.

STORY BRIEF:
Richard Daly is a wealthy real estate develope...more
Cheryl
Freya Daly is ready to take over her father’s company when he retires. Unfortunately her father does not think Freya is ready and wants her to prove her worth. So he sends Freya to Deer Creek, Idaho. If Freya can get the owner, Nate Brody to sell his campground then Freya’s father will let her run his company. For Freya this will be just another walk in the park. She buys up businesses all the time. Once Freya sees the campground and how run down it is; she knows she has this deal in the bag.

Na...more
Deborah Blake
Another fabulous read from Lani Diane Rich. This woman can really write!

Freya Daly is trying to be all business, as usual. Too bad she has developed this peculiar eye condition...one that looks a whole lot like she is crying. At the drop of a hat. She goes to Deer Creek, Idaho to prove herself to her father so she can take over his business when he retires. But there is a WHOLE LOT he's not telling her.

Nate Brody would love to sell the campground that Freya is trying to buy. But he has secrets,...more
Carolyn F.
I've enjoyed this author's books so far however I was a little disappointed in this book. First of all the wig on the cover model is awful! Why didn't they just put a blonde there? The romance didn't seem to gel for me. And the initial huge offer for the property, (view spoiler) Anyway, I'm going to take a Lani Diane Rich break and then come back to read more of this author's books....more
Mary
The characters seem believable. Nate, Freya, Piper and Ruby seem like people you know. They are all feisty. They all swear like sailors, even the eleven year old. That might put people off.
Donnajo
NL's book crawl Idaho
took me long enough to finally read this book. turned out to be very enjoyable. new author for me.
Vicki
Cute contemporary romance although the "mystery" is contrived.
Michelle
great, but horrible cover!
Julie Doner
I love it when a book surprises me, and this book was chock full of them!

I fell in love with Freya. I adored everything about her--from her "crying condition" to her willingness to ride bikes with a young girl who was stubborn enough to convince her why she should. And how could anyone not love Nate? He's hot, he's handy, he's a gentleman, and the man can cook. Ladies, do we really need anything more?

What I also loved about this book were the supporting players. Ruby was fabulous. I cracked up...more
Bobbie  Crawford
Nov 14, 2008 Bobbie Crawford rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Romance Readers
Wish You Were Here,
Written By: Lani Diane Rich
Published By: Forever, an imprint of Grand Central Publishing (Hachette Book Group) USA, Inc., New York, 2008, First Edition, 288 pages, paperback, ISBN 978-0-446-61825-0

Wish You Were Here will charm and enchant you with the entertainingly-witty, romantic characters and story; simply spectacular! BCM

Just one last hoop to jump through and the business would be hers. Freya Daly was so close to being selected as her father’s successor that she could ta...more
Ellen (more books, please)
What a fun book. I haven't read any of Ms. Rich before but I feel a glom coming on.

This is a light rom suspense. It has likeable characters, even a moppet that is not just a plot moppet. The 11-year-old girl acts/reacts as a child would in the situations she finds herself in (due to the actions of adults, not because she is just too too precious and finds herself in multiple cute situations). Her presence in the story adds depth and dimension.

These are "people" who would never meet each other if...more
Kelly Moran
Summing up Wish You Were Here, by Lani Diane Rich, in one word is endearing. Lani Diane Rich is a best-selling author, with such titles as: Crazy in Love, The Comeback Kiss, Maybe Baby, Ex and the Single Girl, and Time Off For Good Behavior. She resides in New York with her family.
Freya Daly has developed what she likes to call “a condition.” She couldn’t quit crying. She is so very close to getting everything she wants- to take over her father’s Boston real estate business when he retires, and...more
Brenda
I enjoyed Piper and Ruby more than the actual romance, although I liked the characters; and she could have left out the mystery completely - it really added nothing to the story.
Olga Godim
I liked the book. It strikes the right balance between love and villainy, romance and mystery. The characters are believable and flawed, especially the female heroine Freya. I didn’t like her very much; she is too cold and trying to stay that way. She resists emotions, but life keeps pushing them her way. Obviously a change is imminent.
The male protagonist Nate is too good to be true, absolutely yummy, and he finally melts even Freya’s formidable ice shell. And what do you know: beneath all tha...more
Hallie
Not my favourite of the books by Rich I've read, mostly because the romance was so incredibly rushed. It had to be, given the premise, but that didn't make me buy it any more. Nate was a delightfully good guy, though, and I liked Freya herself pretty well too. The mystery element was wildly over the top, though, which is a pity, as the good stuff got a bit buried in the not-so-good.
Cindy
I really wanted to like this book, but I couldn't even finish it. Overall plot is intriguing but the relationship between the two main characters is sickeningly unrealistic - in no way would a professional woman behave in this manner with her career on the line. I couldn't bring myself to read further which is too bad because the mystery of the book would be worth reading if it weren't for the "love" relationship of the two characters.
Laurie
Another entertaining read from Lani Diane Rich.
I liked the story line as we find Freya trying to buy some property from Nate. They both have their reasons for their actions, Freya in wanting it and Nate's reasons for not wanting to sell.
I thought the chemistry was very apparent between the two of them.
Toss in Nate's daughter Piper, a 11 year old that forms a bond with Freya and that adds an additional layer to an already compelling story.
Laura Dogsmom
Definitely chick lit but not overly mushy. There was a good story line, a few twists and turns to keep the reader interested. Not too many characters to keep track of, well described to make you appreciate them.
I enjoyed Lani's writing style and look forward to reading more by her.
Mireille
This was fun! Not much to say about it. Freya felt like a different kind of heroine. I was a bit surprised to have a suspense going on since there was no trace of that in the other Lani Diane Rich's books I'd read, but it worked well enough here.
Barbara
This was a really cute story, little romance and mystery. I loved Piper and would loved to see how she reacted to her Dad bringing Freya home. Would have loved even a short epilogue.
But I loved it very sweet read.
Ry
The story of Freya and Nate. This is one of those "real people" funny books. You only come across a few of these in a lifetime so don't skip over this book. Take the time to sit down and appreciate it.
Caffenero
It's a very good book with sparkling dialogues and characters that seems like real caring people, but I think that the moment of Freya departure is awkward (Forced angst?) o.O
Kristine
I was so disappointed by this book! Also--major language and content alert. The bottom line is--a "happy ending" doesn't make up for all the distasteful stuff!
Renee
Nov 14, 2008 Renee added it
Lani Diane Rich delivers her most emotional novel to date, about a woman who unexpectedly finds the family she never knew she was looking for. It's a keeper.
Antonia
Enjoyed it very much. Quirky and engaging, as is typical of the author's style in 'A Little Night Magic', where she was writing as Lucy March.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I had never read anything by this author before but it was good, a combo of romance and a little mystery/suspense. a good combination in my book!
Ocean
Easy read, finished in a couple days. Partly your typical romance novel but with a bit of a twist. I was interested in solving what was going on.
Danielle
It was a really sweet little novel. Not quite as good at Fortune Quilt or Little Ray of Sunshine, but I still enjoyed it!
Pimmy♥S.
The one of my favorite book;)
Romantic and drama harmonized together so perfectly.
Don' t miss ' Wish you were here'.
  • Love in Bloom
  • Addicted to Love (Wedding Veil Wishes, #3)
  • Some Like It Ruthless  (A Temporary Engagement #2)
  • How to Score
  • Dogs and Goddesses
  • Seeing Red
  • Apples Should Be Red
  • The Seven Steps to Closure
  • Unraveled (UN-Forgettable, #2)
  • Runaway Mistress
  • The Great Bedroom War (Return to Redemption, #2)
  • The New Ever After (The New Ever After Series, #2)
  • His Christmas Present
  • The Gifted Gabaldón Sisters
  • Turning Up the Heat (La Vie en Roses, #0.5)
  • The Billionaire's Con
  • For the Love of Pete
  • Geek with the Cat Tattoo
The Fortune Quilt A Little Ray of Sunshine Time Off for Good Behavior Ex and the Single Girl Crazy in Love