Start by marking “Lint” as Want to Read:
Lint

Lint

Steve Aylett has always gone a step farther than his contemporaries. In Slaughtermatic, he pushed the limits of science fiction, and for that he was named a finalist for the Philip K. Dick Award. Now, in Lint, he offers the first-ever biography of one of the great minds of our time: Jeff Lint, author of some of the strangest and most inventive satirical SF of the late ...more
Published May 23rd 2005 by Thunder's Mouth Press (first published May 3rd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Lint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lint

Bradley
Dec 31, 2007 Bradley rated it it was amazing
This book is a godsend and has saved me from financial and mental collapse.

When I was young, my father would force me watch old recordings of Lint's Catty and the Major whenever I misbehaved. After developing a tolerance to the emotional damage, Catty and the Major became my favorite program and I began participating in nightly massacres of my neighbor's pets to incur my father's wrath. So he discovered what I was up to and threw out all the Catty and the Major tapes.

After that, I was always sta
Steve Lew
Aug 11, 2011 Steve Lew rated it liked it
While we were writing a paper in my 12th grade history class, our teacher gave us some sage advice about what to do when you come up with a dazzling turn of phrase that doesn't serve your thesis: Cut it out and put it in a little box. Aylett apparently had such a box, and has emptied it into this book. These gems, in the forms of the titles of Lint's books, the names of the pulps in which he published when starting out, his critics reactions to his work and his reactions to his critics, often ...more
Andrew S  Taylor
Nov 06, 2009 Andrew S Taylor rated it it was amazing
Fake bio of an extremely eccentric, obscure science-fiction writer. Aylett's masterpiece. The book is frequently hilarious and disturbing in a way that is almost impossible to describe. Suffice it to say that like all of Aylett's most memorable characters, Jeff Lint is at war with the fabric of the cosmos itself, and wields language as a weapon. Also in keeping with Aylett, the most preposterous phrases and assertions are welded to a rock-solid earnest delivery. It's like someone trying to hold ...more
Jermaine
Aug 25, 2011 Jermaine rated it really liked it
“When the abyss gazes into you, bill it.”
-- Jeff Lint

An orgy for synthesists, Steve Aylett’s Lint is the false biography of imaginary science fiction writer, weirdo guru and psychedelic wild man, Jeff Lint. Author of such baffling bits of literary vandalism as One Less Bastard, I Blame Ferns and Nose Furnace, Lint is an amalgam of probably dozens of weird personalities. He is alternately William Burroughs, Hunter Thompson, Michael Moorcock, Harlan Ellison, and even underground punk legend Mark E
Mike
Apr 19, 2016 Mike rated it liked it
The fictional biography of Jeff Lint, an eccentric writer who started out writing for pulp magazines like Amazing Stories and Troubling Developments, and later became a cult literary figure. There are some funny satirical bits, especially the section about Lint's time in Hollywood, where he created "Catty and the Major," a children's cartoon so disturbing that it is best remembered for the recurring nightmares it caused. The descriptions of Lint's comic book, his script for a musical version of ...more
Al Young
Oct 05, 2013 Al Young rated it it was ok
I heard of Aylett from Warren Ellis's blog, in which it was mentioned that he was a friend of both Ellis and Grant Morrison. It also probably helps that the book carries recommendations from Alan Moore and Michael Moorcock.

Lint is a fake biography which won me immediately on the first page when it mentions (and I will paraphrase badly) that Lint's first work was published "after being submitted under the pen name Isaac Asimov." The book never gets funnier than that, but it does have its moments
vladimir
Jun 26, 2008 vladimir rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Philip K. Dick, Chuck Palahniuk, Steve Aylett, James Frey
Ah Lint, Jeff Lint.
I remember when I first came across a book of his as an impressionable teenager wandering the aisles of Galaxy Books in old Sydney-town. There it was, in the bargain bin, "I Eat Fog"; well-creased, a smattering of coffee stains, a purple, distorted, displeased mans' face. A collection of early short stories so strange as to flip your brain lobes, so pulpy as to rub your teeth gritty. Brilliant stuff, really.
I hunted down as much of his work as I could, every ratty flea-market
Stephen Thomas
Aug 30, 2016 Stephen Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A RESULT, IF NOT QUITE A FULL BELLY

Aylett’s biographical study of the notorious pulp author Jeff Lint is a teasingly exquisite piece. It takes your hand, leads you into the tire-kicking world of the much-maligned writer and shows you so many tantalising insights into his life. I loved it but it left me wanting so much more. What colour were the velvet swatches held by Lint and Herzog in the freezing lot? How high were Herzog’s graph paper barricades? What shape were the gnostic knobs Lint manipu
Gav451
May 28, 2016 Gav451 rated it really liked it
Where do you even begin talking about this book?

Its really good; start there. It's not overly long and most importantly it is unlike any book I have ever read before.

While presented as a biography of a pulp writer, it is in fact a stream of consciousness full of some to the wildest ideas and most fantastic metaphors and similes I have ever read.

It is quite a thick read, you need to pay it some attention given the way the content comes thick and fast in the matter. When you first start reading
Andrew
Jun 11, 2010 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the biography of Jeff Lint, a man who, whilst he doesn't actually exist, thoroughly deserves to. A fictional tale of a creative cult figure this book straddles surrealism, nonsense, originality, plausibility, and general audacious inventiveness and is packed with an incredible number of ideas (many of which might fill whole books of their own). I'd put off reading this because I've also written something along mildly similar lines (I hasten to add, conceived well before I knew about the ...more
Thomas Hale
Dec 16, 2015 Thomas Hale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fictional biography of Jeff Lint, a strange and idiosyncratic pulp SF writer whose career and life were increasingly odd and yet consistent in their incoherence. Aylett has a great flair for description, though the comedy of the book often veers past "funny" and into "charmingly weird". This isn't a complaint - there are some great jokes in here, running gags that build amusingly (like Lint's grudge with a rival author-turned-critic) - but when half the reviews of a book talk about "laughing ...more
Matt
Oct 17, 2007 Matt rated it liked it
Moments of pure genius, sadly watered down to fit 200 pages. Reminds me a lot of Radio 4's 3-part fake biography on Crichton Wheeler, lifelong sufferer of Splicer's Disease. Just as the protagonist of Wheeler's Fortune has an imaginary ailment that quickly becomes tiresome, Lint's mentalism takes a backseat to just about everything else in the book, in effect relegating him to the position of shit-magnet.

That said, read in short bursts, Lint is much more tolerable, and it's mean to pan it entir
Chris Amies
Mar 10, 2010 Chris Amies rated it it was amazing
I suppose you need to be a bit of a science fiction fan to understand this book, but this false autobiography of a pulp novelist is one of the strangest and funniest books to come my way for a long time. Jeff Lint is a kind of portmanteau of Philip K Dick (mostly), Philip Jose Farmer and Harlan Ellison; a wildly inventive and dedicated author who finds himself marginalised by a publishing establishment who don't understand him and a public who aren't ready for his, well, extremely interactive ...more
nimrodiel
I found this amazingly well written. Although, I had to read it in spurts as it was a bit much at times.

This is an interesting concept, an autobiography of a fictional pulp author. I didn't realize at first that the subject was made up and started racking my brains trying to match up the pulp titles I read as a youngster.

Using a mash up of several prominently weird pulp authors as the idea behind Jeff Lint, this works extremely well. The book is bizarre but extremely funny.

I'm going to have to
Rick Diehl
Steve Aylett's Lint is a very silly, very strange little book about what has to be the worlds most difficult novelist Jeff Lint. I really liked the damm thing, but I also have to say that it was nowhere nearly as brilliant as I've been told, although the likes of Alan Moore do not agree.

Excellent surrealism, and a wicked sense of humor still makes Lint highly recommended.
The Book Lender
This is a funny book, although I have a feeling that large chunks of it went over my head, and that it may actually be an hilarious book.

The Star Trek chapter was brilliant, and my favourite line in the book was this:

"On July 13, 1994, Lint had a near-death experience, followed immediately by death."
Tyler
Sep 13, 2012 Tyler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, funny
Probably the funniest book i have ever read. Steve Aylett is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. I get angry at times because Aylett seems to steal ideas that i have either had or planned on having in the future. If Jeff Lint were a real man i would without a doubt be a huge fan of his too.
Unwisely
Aug 28, 2016 Unwisely rated it did not like it
Look, obviously some people like this book a lot. I wanted to- it was recommended (via anonymous sign) at the library. But, man. I obviously didn't get it, and after not very long didn't particularly want to. Gave up (even though I was on an airplane). Not sure whether I can count this as a square for library bingo, but it was worth giving up. Not for me!
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Sep 18, 2008 Jayaprakash Satyamurthy rated it really liked it
Packed with wall-to-wall non sequiturs and grotesquerie, this fictional biography parallels the lives of real-life fringe literary figures, notably Philip K Dick, in all sorts of notionally illuminating ways, but mostly it's just good weird fun.
Nicholas
Jul 30, 2008 Nicholas rated it really liked it
I was laughing my ass off at the beginning. It wanes a little in the middle, but finishes strong. The biography of Jeff Lint turns out to be a great (nay, perfect) vehicle for Aylett's brand of weirdness.
David
Jul 30, 2007 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is utterly unlike anything else I've read (um, apart from other stuff by the same author). It's truly hilarious, causing me to laugh out loud on public transport, and Alyett's use of language caused me to notice how words are used in a whole new way, at least while I was reading it.
Dan Becker
Mar 04, 2016 Dan Becker rated it it was amazing
This is a seriously insane book: a literary biography of a fictional, counterculture, cult classic pulp scifi author. Fans of Robert Anton Wilson and Hunter S. Thompson's more unhinged work may appreciate it. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea.
Jonathan
Aug 29, 2010 Jonathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished "Lint" - which took way longer than expected for such a short book. But it is incredibly dense and each page is so packed with scatalogical detail that even just a chapter takes ages to digest.
Fascinating, even inspirational stuff though, if not quite as amazing as Bigot Hall.
Sam Bunn
Feb 11, 2013 Sam Bunn rated it it was amazing
Mind bendingly good writing. Sometimes I had to turn my head sideways to finish a sentence. Funny, weird, fricking clever. Playing with pulp and rumour and writing to make something singular and winning. Laugh out loud funny too. Oh yes I liked this one.
Brett
Dec 02, 2012 Brett rated it it was amazing
Prepare to learn.

The Caterer
Darran Mclaughlin
I didn't finish this to be honest. I did kind of enjoy it and I thought it was somewhat amusing but not enough to justify not reading a book I would enjoy more.
Sam Blakeley
May 08, 2016 Sam Blakeley rated it really liked it
Like nothing I've ever read before, or probably ever will read again. Pages of baffling invention interspersed with moments of pure inspiration. Bravo!
Jay
Dec 28, 2015 Jay rated it it was amazing
Probably the 10th time I've read this book. One of my favorites of all time so glad it's available on ebook.

snowbooks
Gec2112
Mar 21, 2011 Gec2112 rated it really liked it
Packed with great quotes. Hilariously non sequitur. Not for those who need to be smacked upside the head with "meaning" or the literary equivalent of a laugh-track.
Gummi800
Mar 01, 2013 Gummi800 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant in concept and starts well, unfortunately and sadly, for me it went rapidly downhill from there. Very disappointing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Arabian Nightmare
  • Foop!
  • Fuzzy Dice
  • The Sheriff of Yrnameer
  • The Magazine of Bizarro Fiction (Issue One)
  • Shark Hunting in Paradise Garden
  • Let's Play Doctor: The Instant Guide To Walking, Talking, and Probing Like a Real M.D.
  • Adventures of Samurai Cat
  • Fourth Mansions
Steve Aylett (b. 1967) is a satirical science fiction and slipstream author of several bizarro books. He is renowned for his colorful satire attacking the manipulations of authority, and for having reams of amusing epigrams and non-sequiturs only tangentially related to what little plot the books possess.

Aylett left school at age 17 and worked in a book warehouse, and later in law publishing.

Aylet
More about Steve Aylett...

“When the abyss gazes into you, bill it.” 1 likes