Start by marking “A Journey of One's Own: Uncommon Advice for the Independent Woman Traveler” as Want to Read:
A Journey of One's Own: Uncommon Advice for the Independent Woman Traveler

A Journey of One's Own: Uncommon Advice for the Independent Woman Traveler

Originally published in 1992, with a second edition in 1996, A Journey of One’s Own has sold over68,000 copies. Praised by travel experts across the spectrum, from Glamour to The Women’s Review of Books, from The Whole Earth Catalog to American Express, U.S. News and World Report, and Parade, and written about in over forty major dailies, A Journey of One’s Own has become ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 288 pages
Published September 1st 2003 by The Eighth Mountain Press (first published September 1992)

To ask other readers questions about A Journey of One's Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Journey of One's Own

Melody
Sep 14, 2013 Melody rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the writing style. I found the advice uncommon and uncommonly interesting. But ultimately, what this book did was re-emphasize for me my disinterest in travel to any but a very few first-world places. I kept reading the little travelogue excerpts and flinching. My reaction to much of this book was, "Oh, I am so glad I'll NEVER have to do that. Or go there. Or eat that. Or have that conversation." I liked the packing advice very much, and one needn't be actively avoiding dysentery to us ...more
Wendy
Aug 09, 2010 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Curling up with this book again, eleven years and a couple of lifetimes after I first read it. I wish every woman would read this book.

Earlier: I read this book just before I went to Europe the first time--it gave me so much confidence and enthusiasm for traveling alone. This is probably one of the few books that really did change my life in a concrete way.
Kelli Pearson
Jul 30, 2011 Kelli Pearson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirit
At the moment, there seem to be many armchair-travel books out there about adventurous women. This book is different on several fronts. Most notably, it is highly researched and very practical; for every engaging story of an international adventure, there is also a list of resources to help us in our own travels.

There are resources for adventure travel, women's tours and groups, home stay exchange, cultural relevancy, eco-friendly travel, musical trips, political trips, educational trips... in
Nancy Lewis
Dec 04, 2011 Nancy Lewis rated it really liked it
Although this book was written before 9-11, before email became common-place, before cell phones & Skype, it has some great information for any single traveler, & some especially useful information for a woman traveling alone. There is an updated version that was published in 2003.

The book includes lists of travel resources, ideas for working while traveling, reasons why you should go off into the world alone, & why it's not as scary as you may think, as well as travel tales from wom
Cynthia Haggard
Dec 21, 2011 Cynthia Haggard rated it it was amazing
The subtitle of this book is UNCOMMON ADVICE FOR THE INDEPENDENT WOMAN TRAVELER. And this book is exactly that. I don’t know how author Thalia Zepatos does it, but she manages to tuck every conceivable thing you could possibly wish to know, if you are a woman planning to travel alone, into 250 pages. It covers the pros and cons of traveling alone versus traveling with a companion or taking a tour. It talks about creating your own journey, how to find and meet friends in different cultures and wh ...more
Cwilcoxnw
Aug 12, 2014 Cwilcoxnw rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! The stories of women traveling on their own gave me courage to set out and explore the world.
Roniq
Mar 22, 2008 Roniq rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any solo travelers especially women
A very good book for women traveling solo who are wanting to cover all the bases. Health, safety, loneliness, to name a few. I read this book before embarking on a solo trip to Cambodia in 2007, I loved this book and would like to own it for future solo trips. Great Read with wonderful tips.
Laurie
Jun 07, 2009 Laurie rated it really liked it
An essential read for anyone traveling, especially if on own and if a woman. There's so much information in here that I wouldn't say this is strictly for women. I must have dog-eared at least 20 pages for reference before my trip to India in 4 months.
Amanda
Mar 30, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Women who are considering solo travel
Shelves: travel
This book contributed to my inspiration for solo travel. I read it for the first time before my first solo trip outside the country. Reading about the adventures of these women made me realize that I could certainly have some of my own making.
Eden
Jan 10, 2009 Eden added it
This has become my handbook preparing for a year of solo travel. It's awesome as a book specifically for women that's not full of fear, but rather provides creative, practical and joyful advice in a sharing-wisdom kind of way.
Rachel
Feb 01, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Practical yet so much fun to read. I devoured this while traveling alone in Greece, although you should probably read it BEFORE you leave for you trip. All hail independent women!
Anne
Mar 16, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rediscovered this on my bookshelf a few days ago and found it as wise and warm as before. Eager to read the newer edition, but this one still wears well.
Cara
Jun 25, 2008 Cara rated it really liked it
Handy. I wouldn't really follow all of her travel advice to the letter, but it's good to read and absorb. I really enjoyed the stories from her own travels.
Kirsten
Oct 01, 2011 Kirsten marked it as to-read
Need to come back to this one ... good questionnaire for potential travel partners to ask each other, to prevent problems along the road!
Alyson
Jan 12, 2013 Alyson rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
Liked the general advice, and also the stories of different women and what they went through while traveling, both the good and the bad.
Cristina
May 23, 2007 Cristina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: bad-ass ladies afflicted with wanderlust
I'm so excited for crazy adventures in asia that I decided to read this book, even though I'm not leaving for another, oh, 8 months.
Emily Pomeroy
Jun 19, 2008 Emily Pomeroy rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
Recommended by a friend. Great book to read if you are thinking of taking a trip but need the extra push to do it alone!
Katelyn
Mar 09, 2011 Katelyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, nonfiction
Great travel advice! Some of the tech-related stuff was definitely out of date, but most of the tips are timeless.
Cherie
May 04, 2008 Cherie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
A+ Great Travel book--excellent book that should be read before traveling. Fantastic. (3rd ed)
Jacqueline Snider
Feb 10, 2009 Jacqueline Snider rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-love
I found this book very inspiring when I read it in my twenties.
J
Jun 12, 2013 J rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women travelers
Shelves: 2013-challenge
Outdated for sure, but the stories and tips are still as relevant.
Jessica
Sep 19, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it
encouraging & inspiring

the last word of the book is: "Go."
Sara
Jun 25, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Helpful advice.
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Nicole Bateman
Nicole Bateman marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Simone
Simone rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
GIBSON
GIBSON rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Stacy Jones
Stacy Jones rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2016
  • The Practical Nomad: How to Travel Around the World
  • The Bad Girl's Guide to the Open Road
  • Travel Writing
  • Fly Solo: The 50 Best Places on Earth for a Girl to Travel Alone
  • Global Girlfriends: How One Mom Made It Her Business to Help Women in Poverty Worldwide
  • Don't Play in the Sun: One Woman's Journey Through the Color Complex
  • Don't Bring Home a White Boy: And Other Notions that Keep Black Women From Dating Out
  • The Best Women's Travel Writing 2011: True Stories from Around the World
  • Murder in the Name of Honor: The True Story of One Woman's Heroic Fight Against an Unbelievable Crime
  • She's Such a Geek!: Women Write About Science, Technology, and Other Nerdy Stuff
  • Naked: Black Women Bare All About Their Skin, Hair, Hips, Lips, and Other Parts
  • Central America on a Shoestring
  • House Rabbit Handbook: How to Live with an Urban Rabbit
  • Professional Learning Communities at Work: Best Practices for Enhancing Student Achievement
  • Hystories: Hysterical Epidemics and Modern Media