Start by marking “Callus on My Soul” as Want to Read:
Callus on My Soul

Callus on My Soul

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  105 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Born into the kind of crushing poverty that can either destroy the spirit or ignite the soul, Dick Gregory used his razor-sharp intellect and boundless energy to become a headlining comic, a pillar of the civil rights movement, a pioneering nutritionist, and an uncompromising voice for social activism and human rights around the world. He has counted among his friends such ...more
Audio CD
Published September 15th 2000 by Longstreet Press

To ask other readers questions about Callus on My Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Callus on My Soul

Christina
Jul 11, 2010 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This memoir was an excellent showing of the life of Dick Gregory and his family. He shared aspects of his life that involved the Civil Rights Movement, the Black power struggle, and the black leaders that helped shaped the black world and the mindset of the people during that time.

He went from his childhood to the year 2000, that expressed and explained the times, the emotions, the hostility, the racism, and the segregation. The way he told the story of his life was phenomenal.

His comedy paved
Chezon
Feb 08, 2012 Chezon rated it it was amazing
I believe this book should be used in lieu of history books that overlook the contributions and undermine the celebrations of African-Americans. Reading it, I smiled, I chuckled and I fell into a deeper love and respect for the root of who we are. Dick Gregory speaks passionately and I appreciate how honest he was about his life. He showcases his profound love for his wife and challenges black men to extend that love to the black women around him. He holds a mirror to state of the world and dema ...more
Shauna
Jun 30, 2013 Shauna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, this is a must have. Excellent book!
Ice
Jul 15, 2010 Ice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matthew
Apr 06, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even with some of the lapses that take place in the text (relatively speaking), I thought it was an amazing read. As someone who grew up in segregation and participated in the movement, Gregory shares a wealth of wisdom and history with the kind of depth that isn't discussed in most history classes of its kind. This book should be used in lieu of classroom textbooks when discussing the history of the Black Experience in America and Civil Rights.

I gave it five stars for how entertained I was thr
Dj Nixon
May 12, 2015 Dj Nixon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
for this man i have nothing but respect.
Karen Barker
Feb 11, 2011 Karen Barker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a joy reading Dick's Memoir and reliving some of the most historical events up close and personal with someone who was in the trenches during these times. I felt at one point Dick was advertising his Formula X product and diverted from the focus of his book for a chapter or two. His insights concerning the conspiracy theories of the FBI and CIA were very eye opening and truthfully, plausible.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Vee
Vee marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Dexter Baker marked it as to-read
Dexter Baker
Dexter Baker rated it did not like it
Cory Thomss
Cory Thomss marked it as to-read
Tricia Cleveland
Tricia Cleveland marked it as to-read
Ashley Ferdinand
Ashley Ferdinand marked it as to-read
May 26, 2016
Aldric
Aldric marked it as to-read
Tiffany Mack
Tiffany Mack is currently reading it
Dexter Baker marked it as to-read
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
danyele turner
danyele turner marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Step Moore
Step Moore marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Tisa
Tisa marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Jamie Young
Jamie Young marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Henry Collins
Henry Collins marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Tyrell Williams
Tyrell Williams marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Damone
Damone marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Sylvian Arceneaux
Sylvian Arceneaux marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
  • Ready for Revolution: The Life and Struggles of Stokely Carmichael (Kwame Ture)
  • Pryor Convictions: and Other Life Sentences
  • Q: The Autobiography of Quincy Jones
  • SNCC: The New Abolitionists
  • Crusade for Justice: The Autobiography of Ida B. Wells
  • Slave Narratives
  • Standing In The Shadows Of Motown: The Life And Music Of Legendary Bassist James Jamerson
  • And the Walls Came Tumbling Down
  • The Godfather Of Soul: An Autobiography
  • Raising Kanye
  • Freedom in the Family: A Mother-Daughter Memoir of the Fight for Civil Rights
  • Local People: The Struggle for Civil Rights in Mississippi
  • Chuck Berry: The Autobiography
  • The Montgomery Bus Boycott and the Women Who Started It: The Memoir of Jo Ann Gibson Robinson
  • Step Out on Nothing: How Faith and Family Helped Me Conquer Life's Challenges
  • The Big Sea
  • Losing My Cool: How a Father's Love and 15,000 Books Beat Hip-Hop Culture
  • Satchmo: My Life in New Orleans
Gregory, Richard Claxton "Dick" , African American comedian and civil rights activist whose social satire changed the way white Americans perceived African American comedians since he first performed in public.

Dick Gregory entered the national comedy scene in 1961 when Chicago’s Playboy Club (as a direct request from publisher Hugh Hefner) booked him as a replacement for white comedian, "Professor
More about Dick Gregory...