Start by marking “Fixing Hell: An Army Psychologist Confronts Abu Ghraib” as Want to Read:
Fixing Hell: An Army Psychologist Confronts Abu Ghraib

Fixing Hell: An Army Psychologist Confronts Abu Ghraib

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  7 reviews
This is the story of Abu Ghraib that you haven't heard, told by the soldier sent by the Army to restore order and ensure that the abuses that took place there never happen again.

In April 2004, the world was shocked by the brutal pictures of beatings, dog attacks, sex acts, and the torture of prisoners held at Abu Ghraib in Iraq. As the story broke, and the world began to
Published September 18th 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published September 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Fixing Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fixing Hell

I really liked this book. Okay, after the first 100 pages where he set up the story it was really good. This man has had some very interesting experiences. I liked his conclusions about running a prison that can be applied to any institution or organizations, including your family.
Fixing Hell by Col. (Ret.) Dr. Larry C. James, Ph.D. is a nonfiction book about how one army psychologist takes on the task of cleaning up after public relations nightmares at detention centers in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and Abu Ghraib, Iraq.

Dr. James is sent to reform these prison/detention centers after scandals break out regarding the treatment of prisoners and detainees. After conducting research and reviewing the Stanford Prison Experiment, which details how otherwise "good" people can commit
This book... well, it's not happy. It's actually pretty depressing. It's an interesting book, primarily about how bureaucracy, even in the military, needs more than just general rules to work. This was a gift, and I had difficulty putting it down. Afterwards, though, I'm hesitant to recommend a book that I didn't particularly enjoy reading; the material is a bit too heavy (and a bit too close to home) for me.
I got what I came for, a more thorough understanding of what went down. Unfortunately, the author sullied it with self congratulatory writing. It very much seems like he said "nailed it" to himself...
Interesting material, writing is poor. In the end it wasn't really worth reading.
Interesting topic, but way too much profanity for me.
Revealing, tragic, frightening in its implications
MarieAnna marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Carrie added it
Jul 31, 2015
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
billie marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Batool (strictlybooks)
Batool (strictlybooks) marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Kay Card
Kay Card marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Josie marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Patrick Herman
Patrick Herman marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Becca marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Diana Murtaugh Coleman
Diana Murtaugh Coleman marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Kalhoon marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Steve marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Kayen marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014