Start by marking “A Vanished Arcadia: Being Some Account of the Jesuits in Paraguay, 1607 to 1767” as Want to Read:
A Vanished Arcadia: Being Some Account of the Jesuits in Paraguay, 1607 to 1767

A Vanished Arcadia: Being Some Account of the Jesuits in Paraguay, 1607 to 1767

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  4 ratings  ·  3 reviews
1924. With a Map. An account of the Christian Commonwealth of the Jesuit Missions between the Parana and Uruguay and an examination of whether the work they did amongst the Indians was beneficial.
Published March 1st 2008 by Echo Library

To ask other readers questions about A Vanished Arcadia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Vanished Arcadia

Jim
With all that is happening to the book publishing industry, this is an interesting time. It used to be difficult to find such public domain works as R. B. Cunninghame Graham's A Vanished Arcadia: Being Some Account of the Jesuits in Paraguay, 1607 to 1767. Graham cut quite a swath through his time, being the founder of the Scottish Socialist Party, a picturesque Member of Parliament dressed in gaucho garb, and the inspiration for some of George Bernard Shaw's characters and for Joseph Conrad's N ...more
John
I picked up this book at a bookstore on 18th that was going out of business, because I was looking at it and I realized that I knew literally nothing about the entire continent of South America. I know that the Incas lived there and they got conquered by Pizarro, and I know the names of the countries that are there now, but that was the extent of my South American knowledge, which is pretty sad, when you think about it. It is an entire continent, after all.
Sadly, this book did not enlighten me
Kamil Salamah
Intersting history: opening a window on the work,life, struggles of the fascinating Jesuits in South America. A very educational work on the subject from all aspects and angles
Thomas
Thomas added it
Feb 04, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2013
Matt Mccoy
Matt Mccoy marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2013
Cheese
Cheese added it
Sep 30, 2013
Kevin Tracy
Kevin Tracy marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2013
Jon Bergdoll
Jon Bergdoll marked it as to-read
May 13, 2011
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2011
Inna Shpitzberg
Inna Shpitzberg marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2009
Mogreb-El-Acksa Reincarnation: The Best Short Stories of R. B. Cunninghame Graham Tales of Horsemen A Brazilian Mystic Being the Life and Miracles of Antonio Conselheiro Cruz Alta (South American Stories)