Start by marking “Einstein For Beginners” as Want to Read:
Einstein For Beginners

Einstein For Beginners

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  418 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
One of the first in the series of For Beginners documentary comic books, Einstein for Beginners still holds up as a perfect introduction to the life and work of Albert Einstein. It has been said that only a small percentage of people really understand Einstein's theories, but this book goes a long way towards making them accessible to everyone.
Published (first published January 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Einstein For Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Einstein For Beginners

Katie
Mar 16, 2013 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome!! Okay discount the gimmicky title - the book was written in 1979, they didn't know any better.

As a result of reading this book I am now convinced:

1. So much of science can be conveyed clearly with words, pictures, and thought experiments, rather than the typical mired-down explanations that use clunky symbols and equations.

2. Illustrated books are better than animations at teaching. You go at your own pace, you peruse at your leisure - it's not like Ken Robinson TedEd vide
David Bonello
Jan 01, 2015 David Bonello rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this book the year it came out. On a train ride from Princeton to NY, I must have shared it with at least a dozen others who just fell in love with it. Since then I have bought well over 20 copies to gift friends.

The best line from the book is: Scientists have a saying: You never really understand a new theory. You just get used to it.

Brilliant book; absolutely brilliant.
Jesse
Dec 12, 2010 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Einstein's achievements were, of course, immense, but this book in particular does a great job of showing how those achievements were just one part of a decidedly group-oriented work ethic which is peculiar to the natural sciences. For Einstein happened upon his space-time continuum only as a result of Faraday's discovery that electromagnetic forces are conducted by space, which was what Maxwell needed to formulate the notion of electric and magnetic fields, which was what Einstein required to i ...more
Vanessa
Mar 07, 2010 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
I picked this up off a sale table in a used book store and was surprised how excellent it was. This could be the best description of relativity I've ever read. Alas, my grasp is still quite tenuous but I was much encouraged by this quote: "Physicists say they don't so much understand new theories as get used to them."

The book concerns itself with lots of good history on the theory of electromagnetism hence varying amounts of information on Faraday, Maxwell, Hertz, Newton and Michelson. Most of t
Paulo Girão
I got a dubious impression from this book, reason by which I was doubtful to give it three full stars. I feel that the book ends exactly in the middle, and that only focus on the general relativity theory and than it drops the rest of Einstein's (scientific and personal) life entirely. And the last page is completely unnecessary (it really feels like political propaganda put by the author). Just for that is almost worth just one or two stars.

The good side(s) of this book is the historical intro
Kelly
Whhyyyyy the paragraphs at the end about socialism? Those were entirely unnecessary and no, I do not care about your opinions, Mr. Schwartz.

I wasn't a huge fan of the book, but I can see young adults who are into science or are reluctant readers digging the format and easy-to-grasp conceptual explanations.
Mary Helene
Feb 06, 2014 Mary Helene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
So it's graphic; it's great. I am so impressed with how simply yet completely the complexity of this formula was laid out. I almost get it.
Bob Nichols
Surprisingly, this book is not particularly clear. Cute cartoons and comments and references to "Albert" don't make for clarity. Light is central to Einstein but the authors don't tell us why we should care at all about 'light'. The authors reference Einstein's illustration of himself riding along a light wave at the speed of light, holding a mirror, observing that the light from his face wouldn't be able to catch up with the mirror. Here the reader might be puzzled about where the light on Eins ...more
Tvrtko Balić
This book is good at explaining physics, but the author should have remembered that this should be a book about Einstein and his contribution to science (that's the reason why people would want to read this book in the first place) and not a tool for sharing his personal opinions whenever he can. I also don't like the cartoons all that much.
Dru
Probably the most interesting and approachable attempt to describe relativity. Can be read and understood within a single sitting of an hour or two. All done in simple cartoons and full of humor to keep things lively.
Cal Bow
Dec 08, 2015 Cal Bow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction-read
Very clear, simple explanations of a very complex theory.
Enjoyed this book as it was easy to read yet allowed me to understand the basic principles, ideas and logic behind Einstein's Theory of Relativity.
Would recommend.

3 down 31 to go
Ken Rideout
Dec 31, 2012 Ken Rideout rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ken by: Philip Rideout
A nice, easy to read graphic novel that gets people up to speed on Special Relativity. A nice bonus of embedding the story in the socialism vs. totalitarianism and emerging field theories of Einstein's time. The author chooses to make a few one to two pages digressions that are actually very good. The book also gets you through E=mc2 but does not get to general relativity.

Nothing new to those of us who have been thinking about teaching these issues, but a great loaner book for the high school s
Matias
Jun 01, 2014 Matias rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Muy util para aprender las bases del razonamiento de Albert. Las ideas estan muy bien definidas y el contenido es conciso y de facil entendimineto. Me quede con un gusto a poco, pero eso tambien puede deberse a que lo lei en un par de horas y lo termine justo antes de irme a dormir.
Don
Apr 19, 2015 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Hard to get going with this book. But once I did after a couple of false starts, the explanation of E=MC2 at the end was the best I've read.
Stephanie
Apr 09, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Explains how Einstein came to his famous equation. Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared. Very easy to understand.
Tracey
Jul 02, 2012 Tracey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this and I'm not sure that I understood it all, but the authors assure me that I shouldn't on a first read and that's okay. I liked the way the social and historical aspects of the world were explored to help the reader understand the road Einstein was on before he worked out the theory of relativity and that his predecessors were given their due. There were some great graphics in this that helped make the theory of relativity slightly more clear for me, but the math is way above ...more
Joseph Harriott
Feb 26, 2010 Joseph Harriott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
12yrs of science education, graduate courses, and I still couldn't explain Einstein's relativity to myself. Then I read this cartoon book, and suddenly it is all so incredibly simple. Of course you need to have some understanding of the fixedeness of the speed of light, which depends on Maxwell's equations of electromagnetism, but nowadays these are concepts that we don't strain ourselves over, even when we don't understand them, we just take them as true - the evidence is all around us in our m ...more
Esme M
Jan 01, 2016 Esme M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro amigable que se puede leer en un día. De hecho por eso lo elegí. Y porque me gusta la física, claro.
Pinar
Dec 10, 2014 Pinar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Realtiviteyi olabildigince kolay ogrenmek icin birebir. Dikkatli olunmasi gereken tek sek, konu zor.
Patrick
Heavy on the clip art, cute as it may be. The book is not really that clear on the topic, seems to dwell more on the people who influenced Einstein that on Einstein himself.
Matthew
Science and funny drawings.
Ruth
Aug 20, 2012 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Despite the fact that this book has been helpful in aiding me (a decidedly scientifically-challenged person) in beginning to understand Einstein's work on the Relativity of Simultaneity (which I've become more or less obsessed with in the past few weeks), I found the format to be very odd, and not as helpful as the authors clearly intended it to be. Sometimes the flow of the page didn't work, causing me to become distracted as I tried to decide what I was supposed to read first.
Jill
Jan 12, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great way to relate to a topic...through pictures/cartoons. Fun read. Most interesting way to realize the thinking, the times and the background, and how Einstein came up with his theory of relativity and E=MC2. Good stuff!
White
Aug 26, 2009 White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book took the most complex concept in the history of our world (that has been "proven") and explains it through the cartoon renditions by the author. It's an excellent, quick read; another purse book.

From the simple explanation of how fast light really travels, to why we can't travel into the future, but it is mathematically "possible" to travel into the past, and then some; this is a rush of possibilities.

This book is full of "ah ha!s"

Aug 31, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably the best book from the "for beginners" series. The book breaks down Einstein's theories making it easy to understand. The pictures are well integrated into the text. The book does rush a tad with the formulas and towards the end. I didn't understand to the fullest extent Einstein's theory, but I don't think I would ever understand it ever if I didn't read the book.
William Mann
Mar 28, 2013 William Mann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This book is exactly what is says it is. A beginners look at Einstein and his most well know scientific theories. It is a great introduction to modern physics and is very easy to understand and read. It is one in a series of "beginners" books, all illustrated to make the concepts and ideas easier to understand.
za
Sep 03, 2007 za rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kalau pas naik kereta, dan kereta ku ada di tengah-tengah, diapit dua kerata lainnya, aku jadi ingat buku ini. Prinsip relativitas gerak Einstein.

Jadi mungkinkah manusia bergerak melebihi kecepatan cahaya? Menurut rumus yang aku dapat di SMA, massa akan menjadi tak hingga ketika bergerak dengan kecepatan cahaya.
Addie Madsen
Jan 06, 2015 Addie Madsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Towards the end I started to get pretty confused, however, because of other books I've read and things I've learned I was able to understand it enough. It can be pretty confusing, but still I enjoyed learning about his history quite a bit.
Tamra
I got this book for my eleventh birthday (yes, I am that big of a nerd) and it was great at explaining the basics of relativity in a funny and accessible manner.
Claire
May 23, 2008 Claire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good explanation of the special theory of relativity, but the author rushes through everything else. A bit random, and the pictures seemed odd to me.
  • Darwin for Beginners
  • Introducing Stephen Hawking
  • Freud for Beginners
  • Introducing Genetics, New Edition (Introducing (Icon))
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Mind & Brain
  • Introducing Chomsky
  • Introducing Time (Introducing (Icon))
  • Trotsky for Beginners
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Barthes: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Anthropology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Sociology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Marquis De Sade