Start by marking “Buddha's Warriors” as Want to Read:
Buddha's Warriors

Buddha's Warriors

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Buddha's Warriors is the first book that brings to life Tibet before the Chinese communist invasions and depicts the transition of peaceful monks to warriors with the help of the CIA.

Tibet in the last sixty years has been so much mystified and politicized that the world at large is confused about what really happened to the "Rooftop of the World" when Mao Tse-tung invaded
Published December 29th 2004 by Tarcher

To ask other readers questions about Buddha's Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddha's Warriors

For those of us who had scant knowledge of the incredible resistance movement our forefathers took up in response to the Chinese occupation, this book is quite literally an eye-opener. There is so much we owe to the many men and women who refused to simply surrender their land, culture and way of life to the Chinese, and selflessly put their lives on the line to preserve our freedom. More than we care to give thought to today it seems. Buddha's Warriors is filled with interviews and first-hand a ...more
I was inspired to read more about TIbet's history after meeting the Dalai Lama this past month. As a triad, "Buddha's Warriors", "Murder in the High HImalayas" and "Seven Years in Tibet" paint a new historical picture for me that highlights there is not just one person to blame. Fairly complicated what has brought Tibet to this point of Chinese domination and, as usual, money plays a key role even among the devout!
Not to use blank words or anything, but this was a super interesting book. Does a great job of complexifying the Chino-Tibetan-Dalai Lama issue.
Michal Thoma
I stopped reading this book after few pages. I realized this is not honest and studied non-fiction. Instead of studying subject "sine ira et studio" this book is more a celebration of the Tibetan resistance. But as the matter of fact, this resistance was a quiet controversial issue, but I realized this book will not present different views and contesting accounts. I will have to look for another book on the issue, probably Carol McGranahan's Arrested Histories: Tibet, the CIA, and Memories of a ...more
E. Kahn
Downright homoerotic hero-worship, suspect sources. Could not get through it.
I had NO idea that the CIA supported the Tibetan resistance. This book was an eye opener. Not only did I not know about the CIA involvement, I was unaware of the extent of the resistance itself. What is surprising is how American foreign policy toward China profoundly affected the course of Tibetan history. At times, the book felt like it was glossing over some aspects, hence the 4 stars. However, I think the book is WELL worth the time to read.
I have knowledge of the Dalai Lamas - all 14. This book rounded out my knowledge of Tibetans, their suffering. I was familiar with some but not all the horrors of Mao, the PLA and the continued repression. I cried. I ache inside when I think of what happened - still happens!- in Tibet. How little the world really knows.
Free Tibet
Great interviews by the author and a story that documents one of the great overlooked (in my view) human rights tragedies of the 20th century...
had no idea there was even a resistance, insightful book
Rinchen Nargolwala
A must read for all Tibetans..
Read this book. Now.
A complete untold story of Tibetan freedom fighters and their undying loyalty to the Tibetan government and his holiness the 14th Dalai Lama. Truly Inspiring and rare story1
Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Aditi marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Orvokki marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Michelle Everhart
Michelle Everhart marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Krzysiek marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Heidi marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Ch_nuut marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Tsering Dolma
Tsering Dolma marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Shail Sheoran
Shail Sheoran marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Samye: A Pilgrimage to the Birthplace of Tibetan Buddhism Casting for Murder Stilled Life