Start by marking “Buddha's Warriors” as Want to Read:
Buddha's Warriors

Buddha's Warriors

Buddha's Warriors is the first book that brings to life Tibet before the Chinese communist invasions and depicts the transition of peaceful monks to warriors with the help of the CIA.

Tibet in the last sixty years has been so much mystified and politicized that the world at large is confused about what really happened to the "Rooftop of the World" when Mao Tse-tung invaded
Published December 29th 2004 by Tarcher

To ask other readers questions about Buddha's Warriors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buddha's Warriors

Ténzom
Apr 05, 2014 Ténzom rated it really liked it
For those of us who had scant knowledge of the incredible resistance movement our forefathers took up in response to the Chinese occupation, this book is quite literally an eye-opener. There is so much we owe to the many men and women who refused to simply surrender their land, culture and way of life to the Chinese, and selflessly put their lives on the line to preserve our freedom. More than we care to give thought to today it seems. Buddha's Warriors is filled with interviews and first-hand a ...more
Kirstin
Aug 30, 2012 Kirstin rated it it was amazing
I was inspired to read more about TIbet's history after meeting the Dalai Lama this past month. As a triad, "Buddha's Warriors", "Murder in the High HImalayas" and "Seven Years in Tibet" paint a new historical picture for me that highlights there is not just one person to blame. Fairly complicated what has brought Tibet to this point of Chinese domination and, as usual, money plays a key role even among the devout!
Carolyn
Oct 05, 2009 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Not to use blank words or anything, but this was a super interesting book. Does a great job of complexifying the Chino-Tibetan-Dalai Lama issue.
Michal Thoma
Aug 07, 2014 Michal Thoma rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, history, asia
I stopped reading this book after few pages. I realized this is not honest and studied non-fiction. Instead of studying subject "sine ira et studio" this book is more a celebration of the Tibetan resistance. But as the matter of fact, this resistance was a quiet controversial issue, but I realized this book will not present different views and contesting accounts. I will have to look for another book on the issue, probably Carol McGranahan's Arrested Histories: Tibet, the CIA, and Memories of a ...more
E. Kahn
Jan 20, 2015 E. Kahn rated it did not like it
Downright homoerotic hero-worship, suspect sources. Could not get through it.
Christopher
Nov 25, 2011 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
I had NO idea that the CIA supported the Tibetan resistance. This book was an eye opener. Not only did I not know about the CIA involvement, I was unaware of the extent of the resistance itself. What is surprising is how American foreign policy toward China profoundly affected the course of Tibetan history. At times, the book felt like it was glossing over some aspects, hence the 4 stars. However, I think the book is WELL worth the time to read.
Lisa
Aug 19, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
I have knowledge of the Dalai Lamas - all 14. This book rounded out my knowledge of Tibetans, their suffering. I was familiar with some but not all the horrors of Mao, the PLA and the continued repression. I cried. I ache inside when I think of what happened - still happens!- in Tibet. How little the world really knows.
Free Tibet
Colin
Mar 21, 2007 Colin rated it really liked it
Great interviews by the author and a story that documents one of the great overlooked (in my view) human rights tragedies of the 20th century...
Oreo
Oct 23, 2010 Oreo rated it really liked it
had no idea there was even a resistance, insightful book
Rinchen Nargolwala
Nov 07, 2013 Rinchen Nargolwala rated it liked it
A must read for all Tibetans..
B
May 27, 2013 B rated it it was amazing
Read this book. Now.
Palden
Jul 11, 2010 Palden rated it liked it
A complete untold story of Tibetan freedom fighters and their undying loyalty to the Tibetan government and his holiness the 14th Dalai Lama. Truly Inspiring and rare story1
Vijay
Vijay marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Ted Dunham
Ted Dunham rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Stuart
Stuart is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2016
Shai
Shai marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Bhaskar
Bhaskar marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Daniel Jeffries
Daniel Jeffries rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Honza Hajduch
Honza Hajduch marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Nisha Pilaniya
Nisha Pilaniya rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Sandeep
Sandeep rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Knihomolka
Knihomolka is currently reading it
Jan 20, 2016
Taylor McCuen
Taylor McCuen marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
S O
S O added it
Jan 16, 2016
Michele Karmartsang
Michele Karmartsang rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
William
William rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2015
Ina Cawl
Ina Cawl rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015