Start by marking “Lincoln Shot: A President's Life Remembered” as Want to Read:
Lincoln Shot: A President's Life Remembered

Lincoln Shot: A President's Life Remembered

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Lincoln Shot So begins this intimate portrait of Abraham Lincoln. Conceived as a one year anniversary edition of a newspaper, dated April 14, 1866, strongly evocative of the time and the nation's mood. The moment-by-moment recital of the events of the day that ended in assassination holds readers enthralled awaiting the tragic end. The account of the flight, capture, and h ...more
Published September 30th 2008 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Lincoln Shot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lincoln Shot

Nita
This was an excellent read! I checked it out for Tom (the Civil War connoisseur), but I ended up reading the whole thing! It's not long- 40 pages including indexes and credits, but totally engrossing. The book is 12 inches wide by 18 inches tall, and the pages have the look of old-timey newspaper pages. There is a ton of information packed in these pages! The book begins with the day of Lincoln's assassination. It takes you through his day until the moment of the murder. The hunt, capture and ha ...more
Tara
This book is rather large in size, but that is because each page looks as if it were from an old newspaper. Written, researched, and put together by members of The National News, the book begins with Lincoln's assassination, and then goes back through his boyhood, ending with the final days of the Civil War. Along with the text are sketches, photographs, maps, and images of primary source documents. It also has a timeline of Lincoln's life and index in the back. While this is a text-heavy, it co ...more
Samantha
A fascinating look at Lincoln's life detailing his assassination and then starting at the beginning with his childhood, evolution of his career, Presidential term, and the Civil War.

The book is large and information is displayed as if in an old fashioned newspaper. Text is written in an engaging tone and numerous photos, maps etc are included as well as a plethora of resources (bibliography, further reading etc).

This author does such a good job of writing books about important historical events
Beckie
This is a work of art. The book is as big as a newspaper, and every page is like stepping back in time. The pen & ink artwork, the ads, and photographs all add to the biographical text. This would be a wonderful addition to any Lincoln fan's library.
Amy
Fantastic! To celebrate Lincoln's 200th birthday (coming February 12, 2009), the author and illustrator worked their truthful tale into a series of newspaper articles.

The newspaper is the "National News" and it kicks off this "Special Memorial Edition" by asking where were you on Friday, April 14th, 1865, the night President Lincoln was shot?

Uniquely told, there are photographs, drawings, letters and newspaper advertisements for items from Lincoln's time scattered throughout this bio.
Sam Bloom
This is really an impressive book. A humongous book (it didn't fit in any of my bags), laid out like an old time newspaper, with several photographs (including a harrowing picture snapped right after the outlaws involved in the murder conspiracy were hanged) and really interesting insight into the days immediately following Lincoln's shooting, then a retrospective of Lincoln's life. One of the most well-made and cleverly packaged children's biographies I've seen.
Molly
Aaargh, I hate that such a wonderful book came in such a library unfriendly shape. It is sooooooo tall but I had so much fun reading it. I learned so much more about Lincoln and his family than I have before and I was so happy to find I laughed and worried with them. It really does help you understand how Lincoln has caught our attention for such a long time. Great for any history fan. Grades 5+
Peg
Amazing book! The newspaper approach grabbed me and will grab young readers as well. We need history to come alive for children, or they'll not learn from our past.
The format is just right for a "newspaper" account of Lincoln, but so wrong for shelving in libraries. Oh, well, it's such a good book, we'll deal with it.
Ashley Sparks
This book is formatted in the style of an old newspaper, with several photographs. It offers some really interesting insight into the days immediately following Lincoln's shooting. A retrospective of Lincoln's life follows. It is a great children’s biography. The children in my 5th grade placement couldn't put it down.
Patrick
This is a must purchase, for Lincoln lover's. The entire book is made to look old and the pages and illustration's aged. Very informative, and well written and creatively executed. Will appeal to first time readers of Lincoln, as well as those well read on the subject. A must have for Lincoln collectors.
Daniel
Jan 25, 2012 Daniel added it
Shelves: non-fiction, k12, 345
Book is big (more than a foot long). It is a biography of Lincoln told through the format of newspapers articles, photos, and line drawings. Challenging for k12 but accessible because of format. Not a read aloud.
Stephanie
This is a wonderful picture book that will appeal to students of all ages. The pages are laid out like pages of old newspapers. This book tells the life and death of President Lincoln.
Lu
Jun 12, 2009 Lu added it
Interesting, but I don't think it will be checked out very often. I'm going to use it in the library so the kids can browse through it.
Britt
this is totally awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Candi
Nov 29, 2008 Candi marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-for-kids
Ages 9+
Tricia
Tricia marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Yolanda
Yolanda marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Brie
Brie added it
Jul 23, 2015
Siskiyou-Suzy
Siskiyou-Suzy marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Ken Herdrick
Ken Herdrick marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Nancy Yob
Nancy Yob marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Barry Denenberg is the critically acclaimed author of non-fiction and historical fiction. His historical fiction includes titles in the Dear America, My Name is America, and Royal Diaries series, many of which have been named NCSS/CBC Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People. His nonfiction books have covered a wide array of topics, from Anne Frank to Elvis Presley. After the publicatio ...more
More about Barry Denenberg...
So Far From Home: the Diary of Mary Driscoll, an Irish Mill Girl, Lowell, Massachusetts, 1847 (Dear America) When Will This Cruel War Be Over?: The Civil War Diary of Emma Simpson, Gordonsville, Virginia, 1864 (Dear America) Early Sunday Morning: the Pearl Harbor Diary of Amber Billows, Hawaii, 1941 (Dear America) Elisabeth: The Princess Bride, Austria - Hungary, 1853 One Eye Laughing, the Other Weeping: The Diary of Julie Weiss (Dear America)