Start by marking “Perfect Strangers” as Want to Read:
Perfect Strangers

Perfect Strangers

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  1,166 ratings  ·  101 reviews
When Suze & Lloyd swap jobs, & flats, for the summer, there seems no reason for them to ever have more than the most cursory of conversations together. Until Suze uncovers a plot to oust Lloyd from the firm. Perfect Strangers is a real 90's romance.
Paperback
Published July 2nd 1998 by Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perfect Strangers

Winna
Mooched from Elly Morgan (France), came with a series of hologram stamps.

Ever since I read Just Friends by Robyn Sisman, I have a feeling I will like her other books. This book is wonderful, with a style of writing that is Sisman's unique style. It starts off a little boring though, with long explanation on Suze and Lloyd. But as the story progresses, and nears the end, I find myself hooked.

The concept of perfect strangers who have only spoken on the phone to fall in love with each other is uniq
Julia
The book was pretty good for a light chick-lit thing, and on that level I have no complaints, it’s a solid three stars for that (which is about all I’ll give a light read like that, unless I love it). On the other hand, from a more technical standpoint, I’d drop the rating down to a two star. I love multiple narrators, as I think I’ve made clear before, so I loved that aspect of it. The one thing that frustrated me was that there really wasn’t much character development. I mean, I think she trie ...more
Mayu
Otra lenta y aburrida novela de Robyn Sisman. Definitivamente, no es mi autora. Toda la novela esperando a que los protagonistas se crucen para que puedan enamorarse, y nada, en la última página se conocen. Entonces, ¿dónde está el amor que prometía Perfectos desconocidos? ...more
Anastasia Cynthia
Sempat mau memberikan bintang dua, seperempat mungkin ya, tapi ke belakang ceritanya berangsur membaik. Well, kisahnya sederhana. Menceritakan dua kehidupan dari dua warga kota yang berbeda. Yang satu di London, satu lagi di New York, lantas dihubungkan oleh seutas benang merah, yaitu kabel telepon. Ceritanya bisa dibilang unik, kalau disimak dari ide chicklit-chicklit yang selama ini pernah diangkat. Dan kalau mau direndengkan, "Perfect Strangers" mungkin mirip dengan "Thanks For The Memories" ...more
Chin
A conflict occurs when you want to decide what to do when you are stuck between choosing to enjoy the summer weather or get a job. Therefore, conflict starts to arise as the story unfolds. I love the way Sisman opened up the novel with a mood, “The rain had started during dinner. Some time between the removal of the red snapper wit herb polenta and the triumphant arrival of Bridget’s homemade tiramisu” (Sisman 1). Not only is the mood given to the reader, but also the reader can picture the imag ...more
Leticia
Suzanne and Lloyd swap houses and office for some months. Nothing new, right? But it is written in a very charming way, and even if it's chick lit, in theory, you would read it anyway if it wasn't, because you get involved in the office politics and in how it can be actually solved.I didn't love the ending, which I think could be better developed to be worth of that - a little longer, for instance - I'd love to see some of those people suffer... but it was still fun.
Michiyo 'jia' Fujiwara
Inti cerita ini adalah: Bisakah kita jatuh cinta pada orang yang tak pernah kita temui?
Cerita berkisah antara Suze(London) dan Lloyd(New York) bertukar pekerjaan dan tempat tinggal selama 4 minggu,menghadapi segala kericuhan akibat tempat tinggal yang baru dan terbunuhnya se-ekor kucing(Mr.Kipling yang malang), si kucing harus disuntik mati karena Betsy(Tunangan Llyod) elergi kucing.
Pertemanan Suze dan Llyod mulai terjalin ketika Suze memergoki rahasia di kantor New York untuk mengingkirkan Lly
Janel
Surpassed my expectations! The cover of this book was so cute, and I figured it would be fun, so I picked it up. It's definitely chick lit, but a unique story and skillfully told. The main characters in this tale have never met before, and trade apartments through a job exchange program at the big time ad agency they work for. The guy, Lloyd is in New York switching with Suze in London. They both have their own adventures separate of each other, but also through a crisis at work involving a sche ...more
Gina
It's an interesting storyline, rather realistic and one can see how the characters get to know each other without getting to know each other. And these are well crafted characters that could live in the minds of the readers. One thing fall short for me: The overly described settings in almost every chapter. Turned me off the story for a while that I almost gave up in the first quarter of the book. But it paid off to read through anyway. Because the most well-written is at the last few chapters, ...more
Yulia Anggraini
3,5...

ini chicklit yg dbaca setelah sekiaaan lama g baca chicklit..agak2 aneh juga awalx...cz terlalu banyak rasax narasi dan penggambaran tentang tempat yg g perlu...

y suze dan lloyd memang tidak pernah bertemu n aq berharap walaupun mereka mereka tidak pernah bertemu setidak2x komunikasix cukup banyak...tp in sayangx g...hanya beberapa kl telpn,mungkin yg membuat mereka saling suka n memahami pribadi masing2 cz mereka bertukar tempat tinggal dan mengenal kebiasaan masing2 dari keadaan aparteme
Ashley Lauren
My only qualm with the book was that I wasn't ready for it to end. This book took me completely by surprise. I bought it because the back described it as being lighthearted and funny and, frankly, it has a gorgeous cover. I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. Sisman has a great wit and I understood the characters instantly. They were dynamic - as the characters interacted with each other, they grew, changed. Even though the plot line was predictable, it was still unique and well developed ...more
Ti
This book is fun. That's all. It is not a book about great teachings and great ideas. Is a book about love oneself and loving others in return. Is a very nice and sweet love story. I loved the character of Suze, probably because I have a lot in common with her: outgoing character, love for color and a penchant for falling in love with the utterly wrong person. And my only problem was the Betsy-Lloyd relationship: did he really loved her or she was a safe option?
Betsy was an interesting characte
Courtney Acampora
I liked the idea of swapping homes in two different countries, but I thought some parts of the book weren't working. Once Lloyd and Suze begin communicating about the work issue with Lloyd, I was surprised how quick they found interest in one another. There was something missing, and their relationship needed to be developed more. I also hated the character Betsey--her function was to be the complete opposite of Suze, but every time she was in the chapter, I just wanted it to end. I read a chapt ...more
Melissa
2.5 stars--could have been better. Brit woman and American man swap jobs and homes. Too much work focus and not enough relationship focus or humor.
Kirsti
I quite liked this story; it seemed fresh and fun. Both the main characters, while wildly different, were captured perfectly and I came to enjoy each chapter as they arrived. I never got over the cat though, and if you read this book then you'll know what I mean. There is a minor resolution to this, but not one I fully appreciated. I couldn't fully believe the romance, but it was as believable as two strangers who had never met in person could have been.

A nice quick read, my brain didn't have t
Malina Sapawi
I have this book to thank for as why I am in Advertising studies now. My passion in advertising was vague, but after I read this book, I knew what I wanted in life is to be in advertising industry. And here I am pursuing my dream.

The lovely story between two characters that had never seen each other, let alone know each other can fall in love because they are connected through their work, and the scandal that happened in the office.

I have read this book many times, probably more than three tim
Chrisiant
This is a totally predictable fluff book - at halfway through I could already see clearly to its obvious ending. Yawn.

It felt as if it was written with the intention of immediately becoming a simpering romantic comedy starring Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant. Bo-ring.

I got it to read on a bus trip to New York, and then read something else, so I made this my bus book. It's a nice quick diversion, and it's not obnoxiously cute, although it borders on that region sometimes. But it's not really worth
Nandina
Quite good, this book is one of my fave chicklit beside Playing James and Asking for Trouble. I loved the serendipity in the story; 2 people's life who were a stranger before suddenly intertwined by fate.
Diana
It was painfully slow to start, but slowly picked up and caught my interest. I found myself enjoying it quite a bit by the end.

The author's inauthentic dialogue for the American characters continuously annoyed me throughout the book. It was distracting.

I also found the main character's aversion to being called a feminist annoying. What's wrong with being a feminist, for goodness sake? If that's the author's perspective perhaps this isn't the book for someone like me.
Palsay
Baca buku ini asik banget. Isinya lumayan seru, khas drama romantis a la Meg Ryan.
Saya malah tertarik sama label Chicklit di cover buku. something about "Being Single & Happy"
Rasanya kok sedikit pathetic, ya? karena menurut saya, it's OK to be single, it always is. but happy?
no way.

Kalo ga salah, begitu juga yang terjadi di setiap novel2 chicklit. In the end, kebahagiaan itu terjadi saat menemukan pasangan yang tepat. Wallahualam.
Susan
Lloyd, an ad-exec from New York, trades places with his counterpart in London, Suze. While each explore the others' city and workplace, a nefarious plot to cause one of them to be fired ensues. Truth be told, I ended up skipping about the middle third of the book, which ended in predictable chick-lit fashion. I guess this would make a good beach read but otherwise, it seemed like a been-there-done-that kind of plot.
Kimberly
My main problem with this book that it was just dragged on. It took forever to actually get to the main part of the plot, and then the plot took forever to actually work itself out. Not only that but the plot was so predictable and I could never really feel a connection to the characters, so I just couldn't care about what happened to them.
Cjandres
Belinda
Sometimes I find Sisman's writing style to be overly burdened with irrelevant details, which makes it seem like forever to get to the point. Often one can skip pages and still know what is going on, but the story is cute and I ended up liking it in the end. It's kind of like Sophie Kinsella's Undomestic Goddess and the movie The Holiday.
Cassie
Dhini
Predictable but I quite enjoyed reading this book. The main story of this book is "Can we fall in love with someone who is completely stranger?". This is the story between Suze Wilding and Lloyd Rockwell who fell in love even though they've never met before. There is humor and sadness in this book. But it is told beautifully.
Abby
Oct 12, 2008 Abby rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Abby by: Ruth
Shelves: chicklit
A man and woman switch jobs and apartments in London and NYC for a month and discover a plot to get him fired. They, of couse, triumph and the ending is happy and loving all. Not as good as other Sisman books but a nice light story. And fun to hear it from many points of view, not just the main 2.
Elaine
I found this book quite borning and slow, I lost interest in it but kept reading it to the end, it started to get a bit better near the end. The ending was a bit sudden and I would like to have read a bit more detailed ending and would of liked to have known what happened next!
Tina
This is exactly what you think it is. Predictable, light hearted and obvious. A quick read that made me laugh and roll my eyes more than once. Great for a plane ride, beach trip that sort of thing. Good enough to read especially after a deep and heavy classic.
Bookworm
This is one of those books where you read the description and you're already sure you know how it ends. Yes, its one of those cliche'd novels...I LIKED IT ANYWAY! =] I could picture this on screen. Everyone leaving the theater feeling good. I felt happy reading it.
  • Help Wanted, Desperately
  • Wanderlust
  • Dixieland Sushi
  • The Man I Should Have Married
  • The Dominant Blonde
Just Friends Weekend in Paris A Hollywood Ending Special Relationship The Perfect Couple?. Robyn Sisman