How to Talk so Teens Will Listen and Listen so Teens Will

How to Talk so Teens Will Listen and Listen so Teens Will

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  345 ratings  ·  77 reviews
The renowned #1 New York Times bestselling authors share their advice and expertise with parents and teens in this accessible, indispensable guide to surviving adolescence.

Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish transformed parenting with their breakthrough, bestselling books Siblings Without Rivalry and How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk. Now, they retu...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 2005)

Georgina Allen
I wasn't quite sure what to rate this one. I think if I could give half stars it would be a 3.5.

It's well written, great cartoons and a very helpful way to look at relationships in your life and how to communicate better. However, I felt the content was very sparse compared to the previous books (How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Sibling Rivalry) and didn't really add a lot - just demonstrated how the same techniques could be altered slightly to improve relationships with your teens.

So while I...more
Jenn
This book offers solid but general tactics for fostering positive communication with your kids. It does not, however, go far enough in terms of giving advice for dealing with teenagers. The scenarios play out too optimistically, with teens relenting quickly. The authors virtually skip common challenges like what to do when your teen is being irrational or continues to push back or outright defies you. And, there is no mention of what to do about the "communication" trick most teens have mastered...more
Jazz
I really liked this book. I learned so much things in it. As a teen I realize that there is so much things going on in the world now that out parents didn't encounter at our age but they are trying their best to understand us. Reading this also helped me think about what I might do instead of just yelling when my mom and I get into a heated argument. I truly recommend this book to those adults needing help connect to their teenager or teens that want to change their relationship with their paren...more
Tim Wolfe
The authors take a fairly no nonsense view of parent and teenager communications, mostly involving what appear to be some typically standard principles found in many counseling environments. The basic concepts are that tone and content can impact a lot about the way that the teen (or parent for that matter) respond to communication attempts and that many problems can be resolved through adequate communication techniques. While in general, much of the advice seems reasonable, and I've noticed pra...more
Maggiekb
This is obviously targeted at parents rather than teachers, but there's a lot here for both. The book is rich on examples and imagined dialogue, and while the practice conversations are somewhat stilted, the "voice" of the kids is pretty close. It's almost more of a "productively communicating through disagreement" book than anything about teens specifically, but the teen-focused examples were solid.
Pamela Galloway
So I don't have teens...but I read the book to help with the kids I watch (the Kids version was checked out). Anyways, it really does work like a charm! The book is set up in a workshop format, following parents and their hesitations, comics of what to do, and then the share and tell of its effects. It makes the book an easy read and helpful in understanding how situations can get escalated so quickly, whether it's something that you said, the way you said it, or what/how it was said to you. It'...more
Cari
The book was aimed mostly at parents but I knew that going into it. I really enjoyed the examples and will try the strategies with my students to see for myself. I suggest this quick read to parents and teachers alike. :)
Becky
More parent-specific scenarios in this one than in the kids' version, but still HIGHLY recommended to anyone with teens in their lives. If you're short on time, just read the cartoons or the quick reminder pages, like p. 65, "To Engage a Teenager's Cooperation."

Instead of ordering...

Describe the problem
Describe what you feel
Give information
Offer a choice
Say it in a word
State your values and/or expectations
Do the unexpected
Put it in writing

And one of my personal favorites: Give in fantasy what yo...more
A
Practical advice but doesn't go much deeper than the original book.
Oraib Toukhly sukkar
The book basically written from a workshop done on a certain group, I was looking forward to reading it to find out simple things about the changes that teenage go through and why they do certain things for example why they get irritated easily, why do we become strangers all of the sudden, why do they just want to say no for simply saying no.... I didn't get all these answers but I cannot deny that there are some useful techniques to identify certain behavior, not a lot for those who are lookin...more
Simple strategies for both keeping the peace with and getting your values across to teens today. Illustrated with cartoons. Worth a read. I especially liked the section on different ways to engage a teen's cooperation: Describe the problem; describe what you feel; give information; offer a choice; say it in a word; state your values and/or expectations; do the unexpected; and put it in writing. Also good is the section on "working it out together," which allows the teenager to propose solutions...more
Frosty and Alert
I couldn't put this down and I have a feeling that I'll be reading bits and pieces of it again. The perspective is set on how teens feel depending on the parent's communication style. There are alternatives that result in more open and positive communication that shows respect and trust rather than dictatorship. This book teaches parents how to be more effective communicators and role models for teens. Looking forward to sharing this book with others!
Corrie
There were some swear words in it which I didn't appreciate but the ideas and suggestions were good. Hopefully I can remember them when talking/listening to my teens!!
Maggie
Some interesting stuff that can be helpful for all humans trying to communicate with each other, not just parents of teens. Reframing opinions to inform others of your perspective seems pretty crucial to effective communication. I'm going to have to think about how I can use some of these tips in my own dealings with teens in the library. In general, good stuff, though the writing style itself was a little simplistic.
Amelia
I am loving this book! Eventhough I am not even close to being done... I am seeing a difference in how my teen and I talk to one another!! We can talk without arguing and by listening to your teens point of view they will actually listen to you. I am learning so much in how to say what neeeds to be said without the lectures and yelling. I am already making progress, and learning so much that I did not know!!
Mrs. Schonour
The information in this book is good and it can be applied to communicating effectively with other adults, as well as teenagers. The summaries at the end of each chapter are really all that needs to be read and they're a page each. I didn't find anything within the chapters that expanded much more on the techniques. The cartoon examples of conversations were useful.
Denise
Pretty similar to "How to Talk so Kids Will Listen..." although with examples that do relate to teens and a subsection about helping teens learn the communication skills, too, which of course would be helpful. I'm still not sure how to get them to do their homework, though. Maybe I should write a letter to the authors!
Heather
I'm not much for "self-help" type books, but this one surprised me. If it seems like everything you say to your child sends them into a tizzy, then I highly recommend it. I tried some of the suggestions in this book and they actually worked! :) The techniques are applicable to everyone, not just teens or kids.
Kristen
If I'd sat down and actually read this instead of just saying I was reading it, I would have finished it in 1 day.

Some of the case studies seem contrived, but basically this is a great book on communication. It is specific toward parents dealing with teens, but the principles work in any communication situation.
Andrea Rosenthal
really good book...helps me think about different ways to handle my girls when I am overwhelmed with "normal" teen behavior...which usually feels anything but normal! Helps me clearly see ways I can keep trying to be the compassionate, concerned parent that I feel I am without getting steam-rolled by my teens :)
Meesha
Absolutely an imperative read! OMG it was amazing and really helped me out. This one is specific to teens, but I read the one for "kids", too, because it had some other tips that were quite useful.

A good complement to "The Teenage Brain", also listed in my books.

Available (both) at the library!
Kjersti
This book gave me so many ideas for working with my students. It also reminded me to show more compassion and not feel so impatient with "normal" teen behavior. I just wish I could remember the tips when I'm in the situation. When I get around to it, I'll make myself a cheat sheet to help me out.
Joanna
filled with a mix of comic strip examples to illustrate the very helpful points - seems so far like a good read for parents struggling with what to do. Challenges the parents to not approach from discipline structures and rules and consequences, but build teens into decision making adults....
Tara
"Parenting" self help books. Who am I? lol

Suggested by a professional. Read it to help my relationship with my step-son. I've never had trouble communicating until this 13 year old entered my life... This books has some helpful hints. Don't know how well they work yet. Will keep ya posted.
Rebecca robinson
I was a little skeptical of this book at first, thinking I didn't need any of the trite advice it had to give. I had to eat a little crow when I found myself using the techniques talked about in the book, and really liking them!
This book is great to remind us to what we know we should be doing.
Elvira
i read this after i read "how to talk so kids will listen..." i thought it was great - same principles, but real stories from parents and teens that take these techniques to new levels. Makes me think that having a teenager could not be too painful for parents!
Michelle
This book has helped me a great deal! I feel calmer talking with my 13-year-old and I have made better choices in parenting. I would be interesting in going back and reading "How to talk so kids will listen" to add more great parenting tools to my life.
Michelle Williamson
Really enjoyed this book. Kids are not teens yet, but great parenting advice and dialogue tips to minimize difficulties through that time period. Also gives a lot of good advice to help facilitate better communication between parent and child/teen.
Jennifer Wyld
I think that I have read all of their books, and I think that they are right on! Their advice is clear and easy to follow, and they give specific examples of applying their principles. Parents and those who work with adolescents will find this useful!
  • Yes, Your Teen is Crazy: Loving Your Kid without Losing Your Mind
  • Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible Children
  • The Bipolar Disorder Survival Guide: What You and Your Family Need to Know
  • Children: The Challenge
  • The Bipolar Child: The Definitive and Reassuring Guide to Childhood's Most Misunderstood Disorder
  • The Wonder of Boys
  • Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • Fathered by God: Learning What Your Dad Could Never Teach You
  • I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla: Raising Healthy Black and Biracial Children in a Race-Conscious World
  • Your Four-Year-Old: Wild and Wonderful
  • Your Six-Year-Old: Loving and Defiant
  • Real Boys: Rescuing Our Sons from the Myths of Boyhood
  • Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five (Revised Edition)
  • He Comes Next: The Thinking Woman's Guide to Pleasuring a Man
  • The Magic Years: Understanding & Handling the Problems of Early Childhood
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness: A Self-help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques
  • Punished by Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A'S, Praise and Other Bribes
Adele Faber graduated from Queens College with a B.A. in theater and drama, earned her master's degree in education from New York University, and taught in the New York City high schools for eight years before joining the faculty of the New School for Social Research in New York and Family Life Institute of C.W. Post College of Long Island University. She is the mother of three children.
More about Adele Faber...
How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk Siblings Without Rivalry: How to Help Your Children Live Together So You Can Live Too How To Talk So Kids Can Learn Liberated Parents, Liberated Children: Your Guide to a Happier Family Siblings Without Rivalry