Start by marking “Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold, #5)” as Want to Read:
Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold, #5)

Getting Old Is a Disaster (Gladdy Gold #5)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Back from schlepping all over New York City, P.I. Gladdy Gold is happy to be on her Florida turf again. Especially now that she and boyfriend Jack Langford are officially an item. But no sooner has the yenta brigade gotten back to their routine--complete with poolside stretching and kvetching--than a notorious outlaw, a.k.a. the “Grandpa Bandit,” issues Gladdy’s detective ...more
Published December 30th 2008 by Dell (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Old Is a Disaster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Old Is a Disaster

Terry Odell
Honestly, I'd say 2 1/2 stars. First, a cast of characters at the start of the book usually waves a red flag that the author can't be bothered to write them well enough so we can keep track. And, with such a huge number of characters, it foreshadows confusion to someone (me) new to the series. My book club chose this book, and I did finish it. Also, at least half the book was spent without anything significant happening other than looking at the way these women (and a few men) lived. By having t ...more
Bianca Andriese
#5 - Just finish another Gladdy Gold mystery. I just love this light hearted books. Gladdy and the girls are at it again. This time Jack has joined the girls in catching their bad guy! I love the fact this book ended in a "happy ending"....
#5 in the Gladdy Gold series. All the usual elements in this series are here and deliver reliably. Gladdy and her geriatric "girls" with their Florida Jewish schtick; Gladdy and her romance with retired cop Jack Langford; and, the eccentric residents of the Lanai Gardens retirement community. The new elements of this entry are not strong enough to bring it above an average rating. The first half has the girls tracking the "Grandpa Bandit" - at his invitation. It drags. Then the murder from the p ...more
Well now, here’s something those of you who know my reading tastes well will be surprised at: a review of a cozy mystery! I am not really much of a cozy reader—I find most to be sort of cookie-cutter quality, much alike with interchangeable lead characters that have quirky names, own quirky businesses, with predictable plots and outcomes—and often, way too much romancey stuff for my taste. There are, however, a few series I tried and surprisingly liked and stuck with, and this is one of them.

Dharia Scarab

4 sta
Karen Kenney
A fun but sad murder mystery that deals with getting older, Nazi's in hiding, and living with the trauma of being in the Germany WWII concentration camps. And you learn a little yiddish on the side. I liked it.
Actually, I refuse to read this book. I did start reading the list of characters that is part of the book. I dislike it when the author talks of how funny the characters...personally, I'd rather find that out for myself. Then after reading how the characters are described according to their personalities, (such as " funny, adorable, logical, stubborn, forgettable, master of disguises), I came to Tessie Spankowitz, who is described as 56, and chubby. No personality, I guess. We are supposed to ma ...more
Martina Kopel
The girls are a riot.
Gladys Gold and her troop of aging ladies are hired to capture a bank robber. But their client (via anonymous letters) is the robber himself! When a hurricane strikes their Fort Lauderdale condos, detection is on the back burner while the ladies, and Jack--Glady's handsome beau--fight for survival. The hurricane clears, having revealed a fifty-year-old body, which Gladys and the girls find more interesting than a mere robber.
Marina Aimer
I love this series! Am not reading in order, but am still enjoying. A great cozy mystery, with characters I want to move in with! I am younger than Gladdy and her girls, but it feels comforting that I could look forward to such warm friendships and such when I am older! Great, complex storyline and lovable characters and lots of interesting details about an unfamiliar lifestyle. I like the romance as well. I cannot wait to read more!
This is the 5th book of the GLADDY GOLD series by Rita Lakin.

Gladdy and their gangs are PIs. But they are special because they are all beyond 70 years old.

It is again a smart and funny read.
After reading all these books I wish I would be like them when I reach their age.

Look forward to next book.
A bit dispointed in how the grandpa bandit and Nazi guy plots end. But Rita clearly demonstates her abilities to be funny and to be down-to-earth. Although I'm far from being a senior, her books give me a very positive picture of how fun life can be at that age. I look forward to live like Gladdy Gold.
A new series for me featuring a posse of Golden Girls from a Florida apartment complex. There's too much going on in this book for me to enjoy it - a December romance, a bank robber, a murder from the 1950s, a Holocaust survivor's pain....probably won't pick it up again.
Linda Appelbaum
Another charming Gladdy Gold book with hurricane disaster, a dead body (or the bones) under a destroyed building, a grandpa bandit, a Nazi, Holocaust memories, a wedding (yes, they finally get married!) and the usual crazy cast of characters and antics. Fun book!
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book has us solving two mysteries while struggling through a hurricane and even a romance. Life lessons are taught and remembered.
A complete book in itself, yet, we eagerly await the next installment, because, we love the characters.
Gladdy is always a good read! This one is a little darker as it deals with survivors of the Holocaust.
Paula Czeisler
first book i read from the series and i ordered the set! especially good for those of the jewish faith!
This book was a disaster! It made me decide not to read anymore of this series. Boring, cliche'd bullshit!
this is a fast read. It is a mystery with a comedy twist. very enjoyable! Very Cute story
not up to par but still a good read. too much romance being thrown in
I love this series and am anxiously awaiting the next adventure
Just for a fun, quick read. Don't expect too much.
Ruth T
Really hope I will be this active when I'm 65!
Best in the series so far.
Linda Blanco
Love this series!
Nasreen Chaudhary
Nasreen Chaudhary marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Sally marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Doward Wilson
Doward Wilson marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Death Takes a Honeymoon (Carnegie Kincaid, #4)
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #5)
  • Lead-Pipe Cinch (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #2)
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • French Polished Murder (A Daring Finds Mystery, #2)
  • You Better Knot Die (Crochet Mystery, #5)
  • Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3)
  • Stay Tuned for Murder (A Talk Radio Mystery #3)
  • Fed Up (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #4)
  • Death Takes the Cake (A Della Cooks Mystery #2)
  • The Cracked Pot (Clay and Crime, #2)
  • Short Squeeze: A Mystery
After being widowed at a young age with three small children, Rita Lakin began an extensive writing career, which has included staff writing on television programs such as Peyton Place, Mod Squad, Dynasty, and Strong Medicine, as well as creating original series such as The Rookies. She has won an Edgar Allen Poe award for her screenwriting, as well as receiving several other award nominations, an ...more
More about Rita Lakin...

Gladdy Gold (7 books)
  • Getting Old Is Murder (Gladdy Gold, #1)
  • Getting Old Is the Best Revenge (Gladdy Gold, #2)
  • Getting Old is Criminal (Gladdy Gold, #3)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Getting Old Can Kill You (Gladdy Gold, #7)