Come and Go, Molly Snow

Come and Go, Molly Snow

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Things look good for Carrie Marie Mullins, a Kentucky bluegrass fiddler and the only woman in the Hawktown Road band. She loves the wild music and the late hours. She also loves Cap Dunlap, Hawktown's roughly handsome lead guitarist - she fell hard for him the minute she set eyes on him. But she knows that Cap's not a one-woman kind of man, so "she stomps down that feeling...more
Published July 1st 1996 by Avon Books (first published February 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Come and Go, Molly Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come and Go, Molly Snow

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim EdwardsIcy Sparks by Gwyn Hyman RubioThe Bluegrass Conspiracy by Sally DentonCome and Go, Molly Snow by Mary Ann Taylor-HallHome to Kentucky by Alfred Leland Crabb
Books Set in Lexington, Kentucky
4th out of 42 books — 8 voters
Just Listen by Sarah DessenIf I Stay by Gayle FormanThis Lullaby by Sarah DessenNick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel CohnWhere She Went by Gayle Forman
Fiction Involving Music
180th out of 498 books — 740 voters

More lists with this book...

Diane Strong
Dec 20, 2012 Diane Strong is currently reading it
Shelves: unable-to-finish
Really great beginning, but the middle got tooooo long. I pretty much didn't care if she went back with the band after all the sulking and drama. I have a short attention span, it takes a writer who waves a bunny in my face to keep me reading. I'm sure it ended just the way I expected it too. I never rate a book I don't finish. The writing was really good. No complaints in that department.
Barbara
I loved this book about a bluegrass fiddling woman, the death of her child, her descent into crippling grief and slow recovery with the help of a pair of old Kentucky country ladies. Lyrical, thoroughly engaging.
Amanda
About a talented young bluegrass musician who has, and loses, a daughter - and how she learns to keep going. While I have never had, or lost, a child, the book seemed to capture that unendurable pain. The descriptions of bluegrass were also wonderful -- I read this years ago and still remember that they said about how in bluegrass they sing about love and loss without being as earnest about it as country music is.

I love a book that really evokes a region, and this one does. Like Lee Smith, this...more
Hollis
Beautifully written, heartfelt story about grief and reclaiming one's life
Martha☀
The death of a loved one puts you at a crossroads in your life. In this book, even the question of carrying on living is analyzed. Taylor-Hall does a fine job of explaining the abstract and often bizarre feelings that Carrie has after losing her daughter, and her decisions about which path is worth following in the aftermath. It took me a while to get into the story and characters, but in the end I put everything aside to finish it.
Tracy
A beautifully written book about the impact of a child's death on the child's mother. Amazing since the main character is a bluegrass musician and the author is neither a musician nor a mother. Mary Ann, whom I have met several times, is the widow of writer and photographer James Baker Hall. I think she is the better writer of the two, giving her characters real humanity.
Tracy O
Aug 24, 2007 Tracy O rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People Without Children
LOVED this book, but I read it before I had Charlie. For my friends without children I would recommend this in a heartbeat. It is very quick paced and I loved the characters - I felt close to them. I also loved the whole milieu - the whole scene of it. But, for those of you with kids, I would not recommend that you read this - let's just leave it at that.
Lucy Guerra
I've read this book at least 3 times, but lent it out a few years ago and never got it back. I love the lyrical quality of the book. The way the author weaves music into the entire story is incredibly moving, sad, and ultimately triumphant. If you are a new mother, though, stay away until you can handle reading about the loss of a child.
Nona
Carrie, against tradition is a fiddler of bluegrass music, she play in a band with Cap, a man she has obsesses about for years. When her five-year-old daughter is killed in a senseless accident Carrie falls apart. Cap bundles her up and takes her to his grandmothers farm to heal.
Deanndra Hall
I had to go hunting for this book, and finally found it at a used and antique bookseller. I wanted to read it because Ms. Taylor-Hall is the wife of our former poet laureate in this state. I was not disappointed - it was an excellent read.
Terri Kempton
My friends, this is a really moving story of a young bluegrass musician who loses her daughter. It's heartbreaking and freeing in waves. Written in a unique voice by an under-read author!
Misty
Great piece of KY literature! It captures the feel of someone who thinks they are ready to leave small town America, only to find they are most comfortable at home.
Jessica Lee
I liked it in the beginning but then it got so repetitive and dry and I don't know... I think I need to read t again, but that might be hard.
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Jack
Jack added it
Aug 30, 2014
KH
KH added it
Aug 12, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Rosalie Calloway
Rosalie Calloway marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Lindsey Smith
Lindsey Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Beverlee
Beverlee marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Kelly Jarvis
Kelly Jarvis marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
At the Breakers How She Knows What She Knows About Yo-Yos: Stories At The Breakers: A Novel (Kentucky Voices) Come And Go, Molly Snow: Roman At the Breakers: A Novel