Twin Cities Noir

Twin Cities Noir (Akashic Noir)

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Brand-new stories by: David Housewright, Steve Thayer, Judith Guest, Mary Logue, Bruce Rubenstein, K.J. Erickson, William Kent Krueger, Ellen Hart, Brad Zeller, Mary Sharratt, Pete Hautman, Larry Millett, Quinton Skinner, Gary Bush, and Chris Everheart.

Published June 1st 2006 by Akashic Books

The St. Paul Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald by F. Scott FitzgeraldWar for the Oaks by Emma BullThe Year of Ice by Brian MalloyDays of Rondo by Evelyn FairbanksThe Antelope Wife by Louise Erdrich
Twin Cities Tales
10th out of 18 books — 4 voters
Esme Dooley by Jane  DonovanShiver by Maggie StiefvaterLake Wobegon Days by Garrison KeillorSlave by Sherri HayesWolves by Cary Griffith
Books Set in Minnesota
72nd out of 103 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Awallens

Julie Schaper has been a Twin Cities resident for 11 years. She lives with her husband and two dogs in the Merriam Park neighborhood of St. Paul. Steven
Horwitz has worked in publishing for 25 years. He lives with his wife and two dogs in St. Paul.
I...more
Emily
After discovering the existence of this series of volumes of short stories which spotlight various cities and locales around the world, I chose to start with one familiar to me (in order to evaluate, you could say). All in all, I was impressed, with some exceptions - but unevenness is unfortunately the risk one takes when reading an anthology of stories by different authors. I liked these offerings enough to try another city.
Spoonbridge
I had read this anthology of noir short stories, part of the Akashic Noir series that explore the dark side of various world cities in 2007, soon after its publication, intrigued by a collection that drew upon the quirkiness and dark under belly of the Twin Cities. Like most anthologies, the stories themselves were a bit of a mixed bag but I recall enjoying the collection. For some reason, Minnesota has a vibrant and growing community of mystery writers and I wanted to see some of this local col...more
Izzy
I only really enjoyed a few stories in this book. Many seemed to be pointless and written with poor endings. I grew up in the twin cities area and I have to say most of the stories didn't seem to portray either city very well. In my opinion not worth reading.
Vickie
As with most anthologies I come across to read, this one has a few skippable, a few skimmable, one or two or three gems and the rest darn fab.
My favorites here: MAI-NU'S WINDOW by David Housewright with its well-done manipulation, BUMS by William Kent Krueger with more manipulation, TAKING THE BULLETS OUT by Mary Sharratt with revenge, and THE BREWER'S SON by Larry Millett which has a nice Sherlock Holmes feel.
I knew I'd like William Kent Krueger's story, he's a favorite author. Was well pleas...more
Robert Sperry
A fun collection of noir stories set in the Twin Cities area.
Kelley
I'm not a big short story fan. I never have been and yet every so often I pick some up thinking my views will have changed... nope, not yet. This book contains stories for multiple authors, some were obviously better than others, but none were spectacular. I guess I need more of a commitment to my books. I like to build more of a relationship with characters so back to the novels I will go until my short story curiosity comes again.
Nikki
Part of a series of books centered on specific locations, with the authors mainly being from those locations. As is often the case in such anthologies, some stories were better than others. Several of the stories in this book were historical. I'd say my favorite was a contemporary one, Noir Neige by Pete Hautman, set at the impound lot (and anyone from Minneapolis knows what that means).
Jacq
My Intro to Lit class just finished reading selections from this great little collection of short Noir stories written by Minnesota authors. The fiction is top notch, and though not all the stories are classic "noir" pieces, those that aren't strictly "hardboiled" detective stories cleverly stretch the genre's boundaries and push toward a uniquely Midwestern contemporary noir.
Sam
Although I am not a big fan of short stories there were some surprisingly good stories, with a lot that I wished were longer. There were a few that the endings just left you hanging and that was disappointing. And then there were some that just made no sense. All in all if you like short stories than this is the book for you. I received this from LibraryThing Early Reviewer.
Lisa
Received this book from the Early Reviewers program at Library Thing. Those who know me know that I have a completely unreasonable love of all things Twin Cities. Although not always a fan of short stories, these are great noir fiction. And the references to Minneapolis and Saint Paul will delight anyone who has my same fascination with Minnesota!
Sam
Decent collection of short stories set primarily in the Twin Cities. Like most short story collections, some were really quite good - may have me looking up more from those authors (Housewright, Erickson, Sharrat, Millet) - others I didn't find to my liking. The history of St Paul sound interesting as well.
Jeff J.
Loved this anthology. Not sure if all of the stories can be considered noir, but the definition has always been a little squishy. I do appreciate the all the stories have settings in Minnesota (not just the Twin Cities), and that the settings are integral to the plots.
angrykitty
like any story collection, this one had its hits and misses...this is one of those books too, where i think that anyone not from minnesota would find it really pretty lame. i knew all the places referenced, but it's only because i'm from the twin cities....
Kelly
Rating any short story collection is a bit tough. To some degree the weakest stories in the collection can ruin the full rating. Some of the stories in this collection were quite good but there were some that simply fell flat.
Leah
Sweet little book of short crime stories set in my native land by local authors. Sometimes they were trying just a bit too hard to emphasize the location, but mostly they were amusing.
Mary Mccarron
It's fun to read about the streets that you know, and some of the stories were very good. Particularly intriguing was "Taking the Bulletts Out" by Mary Sharratt.
Alexis 'Rutz' Friedrich
Quick read, although it gave me that icky "I just watched a soap opera" feeling. So if you're in a soap opera mood - this series may be a good option.
Kris
A group effort by several MN authors. Some good, some not so good. Really only an interesting read if you live/lived in the metro area.
Jessica
Apr 18, 2007 Jessica rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Minnesotans
Really fun to read stories set in familiar locations. Some of these stories are fabulous others are pretty good. Quick, fun read.
Matt
Some stories were fun and true to the genre. Others read like a cutsie takes by authors clearly not comfortable with the genre.
Crayboy
Ok short stories, only a couple of them have any Twin Cities flavour - the rest just drop a couple of local names.
Elizabeth
Quick, easy read. Enjoyable short stories that take place in MSP area. Fun to read about places I've been.
Paulette
Short story mysteries set in the Twin Cities by Minnesota authors. Couldn't resist.

Nice bunch of stories
Philip Booth
Nov 18, 2013 Philip Booth is currently reading it
(bought from Magers & Quinn bookstore in Minneapolis during our trip in February 2013)
Caroline
Interesting and strong short stories set in Minneapolis and St Paul.
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Jessica Coleman
Jessica Coleman is currently reading it
Jun 28, 2014
Rhonda Gilliland
Rhonda Gilliland marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Dane
Dane marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
  • USA Noir: Best of the Akashic Noir Series
  • North Sea Requiem
  • Manila Noir
  • The Fabulous Clipjoint
  • Delivering Death: A Novel (Riley Spartz, #6)
  • Blood Game (Jock Boucher #2)
  • A Place of Confinement (A Dido Kent Mystery, #4)
  • Mortal Bonds (Jason Stafford, #2)
  • Strange Bird
Amplified: Fiction from Leading Alt-Country, Indie Rock, Blues and Folk Musicians