Start by marking “The Game Inventor's Guidebook: How to Invent and Sell Board Games, Card Games, Role-Playing Games, & Everything in Between!” as Want to Read:

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The definitive guide for anyone with a game idea who wants to know how to get it published from a Game Design Manager at Wizards of the Coast, the world's largest tabletop hobby game company. Do you have an idea for a board game, card game, role-playing game or tabletop game? Have you ever wondered how to get it published? For many years Brian Tinsman reviewed new game sub ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Morgan James Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Game Inventor's Guidebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Game Inventor's Guidebook

Jonathon Dyer
Game design is a labour of love. Whether it's a board game about dinosaurs to amuse your kids (who, this month, are really into dinosaurs), or something you think might be good enough to sell, maybe even good enough to be the next Scrabble or Trivial Pursuit, your heart really has to be in it if it's going to work at all.

Brian Tinsman is here to tell you that having your heart in it, while crucial, is never going to be enough. Tinsman's been working in the game industry for much of his working l
Marc
I've been a gamer forever, but I recently had an idea to make a game. Even though I've gamed forever, selling and making a game is something I know very little about. I decided to check this book out.

The Game Inventor's Guidebook really was the perfect book for someone like me. Tinsman covered all sorts of games from RPGs to CCGs to miniatures and everything else. He delved into what goes on behind design, marketing, publishing, and even self-publishing. There was a lot of info in here.

Even thou
Traummachine
3.5 stars:

This is another book that I'm rating as casual reading, not because I've used the suggestions in it. While my buddy got it as a resource for getting his board games published, for me it was just entertainment. Yes, I'm THAT into board games. Yes, I'm THAT geeky. ;-)

It was really interesting to read interviews with big names in the industry, to see what they're looking for, to hear about the gotcha's they passed along, and to hear about some of the problems they face. But I found the in
Jo
A lot of useful information
Jess Hartley
This is a must-have book for those who are interested in creating and marketing games of all sorts. It offers not only advice, but also a sense of history and personal anecdotes from successful game creators, giving would-be gamemakers a glimpse behind that elusive curtain that lies between the players and the industry.

This was recommended to me by Mike Selinker of Lone Shark Games, and I definitely am grateful for the recommendation. It was invaluable.
Rodolfo Schmauk
Esperaba más del libro. Más que nada consejos sobre como llegar a publicar un juego una vez que se ha hecho, pero poco sobre el proceso creativo. Muy enfocado en juegos de mercado amplio, y gringos, y a mí me gustan más los europeos.
Lo mejor, probablemente, lo relativo a los consejos de playtesting.
Me quedo con The Kobold Guide to Game Design, que a pesar de ser ensayos, entra más en el proceso de creación del juego.
Bill
Sep 14, 2012 Bill added it
More focused on business than the other similar book I read. Interesting stuff.
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Adam
Adam added it
Apr 16, 2015
Herval Freire
Herval Freire is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2015
Nathan G
Nathan G marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Patrick Ewing
Patrick Ewing marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
David LaMacchia
David LaMacchia marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Tim Brown
Tim Brown marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Carol Lane
Carol Lane marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Justarius
Justarius marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Complete Encyclopedia of Magic: The Gathering The Game Inventor's Guidebook The Game Inventor's Guidebook: How to Invent and Sell Board Games, Card Games, Role-Playing Games, & Everything in Between! Magic: The Gathering -- Official Encyclopedia, Volume 6: The Complete Card Guide Magic-the Gathering: Official Encyclopedia, the Official Card Guide, Volume 6