Start by marking “Angel Of Ruin” as Want to Read:
Angel Of Ruin

Angel Of Ruin

Sophie needs to pay the rent and a story on the occult would sell around Hallowe'en time. The Lodge of the Seven Stars is good for research but Sophie's a sceptic and doesn't believe in any of the rituals. Until she meets The Wanderer who has a story to tell her.
Published September 26th 2001 by Harper Collins

To ask other readers questions about Angel Of Ruin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Of Ruin

The Infernal by Kim WilkinsSea Hearts by Margo LanaganPerfections by Kirstyn McDermottThe Girl with No Hands by Angela SlatterPeacemaker by Marianne de Pierres
Aurealis Awards winners
22nd out of 98 books — 15 voters
Affirmation of the Sirens by Sonya C. DoddBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerFrostbite by Richelle MeadEclipse by Stephenie MeyerVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Best Paranormal Books
59th out of 126 books — 49 voters

More lists with this book...

Sam
Jul 24, 2011 Sam rated it it was amazing
Without a doubt my favourite book to date. I couldn't put it down and the way I was so passionate about telling everybody about it, I started to wonder if maybe the wanderer had gotten to me too. I have been a fan of Kim Wilkins since I read the Infernal many years ago (which I loved also), but this book, I couldn't put down at all. And it haunted me for a long time after reading. This book goes between current time and previous happenings. And as always with Kims writing, she manages to make yo ...more
Jan 04, 2012 Jill Smith marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Title: Angel of Ruin (Fallen Angel)
Author: Kim Wilkins
Publisher: Harper Collins

This is a dark tale skillfully woven by this master of Gothic Horror. It starts with a simple premise Sophie Black is a journalist looking for something to write about on her return to London to get in some quick cash. She is broke and needs to pay the rent, recently broke up with her boyfriend, and feeling fragile.

Lavender Brooke
Aug 24, 2013 Lavender Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Loved this book. It is creepy, atmospheric and truly original. The story is a story within a story: a young woman is being compelled by a sinister story-teller to hear the story of the daughters of John Milton who were enthralled by a fallen angel. The angel was a present from their dead mother who at first seems like a wonderful gift for the girls but soon tears them apart.

The characters are flawed and selfish, while also understable and sympathetic which of course makes them far more interes
Kim Falconer
Jan 04, 2012 Kim Falconer rated it it was amazing
Kim Wilkins is a brilliant author and this book in particular touched my soul. Its moody and sensual and harsh and also vulnerable, as are the three young women who step into a world of angels and demons with the naivety of children. The story weaves around a contemporary journalist with not enough luck and a bit too much curiosity. As stories are told withing stories, the origins of one of the most famous poems ever written, John Milton's Paradise Lost, is re-visioned. What a fabulous book!

Kim
Amy Norris
Aug 22, 2014 Amy Norris rated it it was amazing
I first picked up this book because I had recently read Frost Giants by Kim Wilkins and adored both the story and her writing. However my first thought was 'What a terrible cover!'. It looks seriously unprofessional and tacky. Normally I may have put it down without a further look (despite knowing not to judge a book by its cover I can't help but relate it to the quality of the publishing house/author and their work) but I knew Kim Wilkins was a great writer so I gave it a go.

I was not disappoin
Cheryl
The Australian title (title of the copy I read) is "Angel of Ruin", note the author also appears to be Australian.

This kind of fantasy horror is not really my cup of tea... but it was an okay read, a little predictable.
Lee Vickers
Sep 24, 2007 Lee Vickers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: mymostfavourite
Another brilliant book by the wonderful Kim Wilkins, whilst straying from horror into fantasy, the twist on the writing of Paradise Lost is amazing. The final twist at the end is awesome.
Stephen Lord
Jul 09, 2013 Stephen Lord rated it it was amazing
A book I would like to be buried with. The perfect marriage of history and fantasy, and a shining example of its author's many talents.
Aug 22, 2015 Jill Smith rated it it was amazing
This is a dark tale skillfully woven by this master of Gothic Horror. It starts with a simple premise Sophie Black is a journalist looking for something to write about, on her return to London, to get in some quick cash. She is broke and needs to pay the rent, recently broke up with her boyfriend, and feeling fragile.

Sophie decides to write a piece on the Occult cults in London. She manages to get herself invited to a meeting with a group called the Lodge. Thoroughly skeptical, she partakes in
Jan 04, 2012 Jill Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: Angel of Ruin (Fallen Angel)
Author: Kim Wilkins
Publisher: Harper Collins

Mo
Aug 21, 2008 Mo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had been looking for this book for ages. Tried ordering it from Amazon, but they had somehow eaten all their copies or something, so they couldn't ship it. Tried ordering it from other sites and the same thing happened. I found it on holiday and immediately started reading it. Because I had such high expectations of it, it didn't quite live up to it, but part of that had to do with the fact that it was a bit too long and dense to be a really good book to read whilst on holiday. Still, it was a ...more
Sarah Rodgers
Sep 13, 2009 Sarah Rodgers rated it really liked it
An exciting and historical look at the wican way of life including curses that pass thorough the ages and haunt you from the past, present and future, It starts out quite slow however if you stick with it you will not be sorry. More that once I put this book down only to pick it up again wondering what I was missing. Similar to the Infernal it passes through the ages from generation to generation through a curse that only super naturals are really open to. Kind of spooky in an odd way but defini ...more
Janine Hayes
Jun 21, 2014 Janine Hayes rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!!
Brilliant, a must read.
I think it's one of her best books
I couldn't put it down.
Lynette Callaghan
Jul 03, 2014 Lynette Callaghan rated it it was amazing
Where does kim Wilkins get the ideas for her books excellent read I have shared with many
Kait
I definitely enjoyed this book. I felt like the end was a little bit of a cop-out (I would have preferred the resolution to have been a bit more difficult for Sophie), but over all it was very good.

It wasn't as frightening as some of her other books have been, although it was certainly creepy, and there were some scenes that definitely wouldn't sit well with some readers. But I didn't need to sleep with the lights on, or just remind myself that it was a story.

Overall a very enthralling book.
Ceane
Jan 18, 2008 Ceane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Australian titled version of this book "Angel of Ruin". I like Kim Wilkins because she always puts a interesting twist on history (and she's Aussie!). This book was pretty predictable if you thought about it but it was still reasonably interesting and the "twists" where suprising enough if you didn't think about it to much. I'd reccomend it to anyone who wants a light horror novel as its not very scary but still packs a subtle punch.
Amy
Sep 24, 2015 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to read this novel, the blurb really drew me in and I was looking forward to reading something different. Unfortunately I couldn't get into it, I was falling asleep each time I tried to read it. The relationship between Lazodeus and the sisters was just a little bit too creepy for me. However, I did enjoy the ending with Sophie. I'm sure many people would love this, but it just wasn't for me.
Embla
Aug 30, 2016 Embla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another rather amazing book by Australian fiction writer Kim Wilkins. The story is interesting and captivating, the prose fluent and each character is very well outlined. Only a couple of small (yet outstanding) mistakes towards the end slow the pace of the story but all in all the whole book is extremely enjoyable. It could've maybe been a few pages shorter, still, who's scared of a lengthy tome?!
Michelle
Jan 12, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I bought this book on a whim in an op-shop, and once I started reading it, couldn't put it down! I will certainly be looking for more books by this author.
ruthy
Dec 16, 2012 ruthy rated it it was amazing
Kkchfkjhdsgjc,dsgzsdkuhf,Juarez,kudhffk,uhsdf,muggy,dad this book was wonderful! The ending was absolutely magnificent in every sense of the word, though it may have been a bit rushed.
I just absolutely adored how you couldn't tell whether lazodeus was good or bad up until the last second.
Loved it.
Natalie Renna
Jan 10, 2014 Natalie Renna rated it it was amazing
Could not put it down, one of my favourite Wilkins books to date
Daniela Galati
Mar 18, 2014 Daniela Galati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant! Needless to say it was extremely engaging. Could not and did not want to put it down. If I could have eaten this book I would have. Absolutely love this author, in fact she is my favourite, writing as both Kim Wilkins and Kimberly Freeman.
Katia Barbier-Puente
A haunting book you just cannot put down : original and just the exact amount of scary ! I loved it !
Lynette Callaghan
so well written gave me goosebumps
Joy
Lucy C Marshall
Lucy C Marshall rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Ely Vuk
Ely Vuk marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Lyn
Lyn is currently reading it
Sep 15, 2016
3rdApache
3rdApache marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
  • Madigan Mine
  • The Business of Death (Death Works Trilogy, #1-3)
  • The Blood Countess (Pandora English, #1)
  • Sharp Shooter (Tara Sharp, #1)
  • Power and Majesty (Creature Court, #1)
  • Cherry Kisses (Shadowfae)
  • Vigil
  • Dark Space (Sentients of Orion, #1)
  • The Devil's Diadem
  • Chill (Jacob's Ladder, #2)
  • Foxmask (The Light Isles, #2)
  • Destiny of the Light (Shadow Through Time, #1)
  • Calenture
  • The Invisible Road  (The Dreamhunter Duet, #1-2)
  • Drowning in You
  • Den of Wolves (Empress of Rome #1)
  • Omnibus: Postmortem / All That Remains (Kay Scarpetta, #1, #3)
  • Ghost Orchid