Start by marking “Getting Started in Consulting ” as Want to Read:
Getting Started in Consulting

Getting Started in Consulting

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  1,670 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A new revision of the successful guidebook for novice consultants
Getting Started in Consulting, Second Edition provides practical solutions and proven strategies for launching a consulting business. Readers will learn how low overhead and a high degree of organization can translate into a six-figure income working from a home office. The book also offers key information o
Paperback, 2nd edition, 304 pages
Published December 19th 2003 by John Wiley & Sons (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started in Consulting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started in Consulting

Nikos Korexenidis
Jul 05, 2017 Nikos Korexenidis rated it it was ok
Outdated
Deborah
Feb 07, 2012 Deborah rated it liked it
There were some good nuggets of information for anyone contemplating a shift to consulting. Ultimately, it convinced me I need to work for someone else. But that's why do research, isn't it?

Definitely get the second edition. Some of the tech recommendations are outdated since the 2004 update, such as his suggestion to get a mobile phone or to get internet through your cable company because it is faster than dialup - practices that are now standard. It shows how quickly our technology changes.
Cnd
Nov 13, 2013 Cnd rated it really liked it
A few outdated stuff in this book. Gives a good blueprint of the consulting field. I read this as I was considering adding a consultative element to my marketing business. I would focus on the philosophy behind the concepts more than anything, although, some of the ideas can be immediately applicable. I have used a few concepts with some success.
Ramón Nogueras Pérez
Apr 04, 2012 Ramón Nogueras Pérez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
Si quieres empezar a pensar en poner un negocio - no sólo uno de consultoría - empieza por este libro. Más cuando lo relea.

En este libro Alan Weiss explica en formato A-B-C qué hay que hacer para montar un negocio de consultoría y que funcione, y además cómo ir creciendo para ir ganando más y más dinero. Es una lectura excelsa por un lado, porque es motivante ver la cantidad de cosas que puedes hacer para que un negocio funcione. Por otro lado, si llevas tiempo en este negocio, es descorazonador
Leticia
This book was referred to me by someone new to consulting, and as a result I didn't expect to get much out of it. I read it anyway because I figured that if I got one new thing from it, then it was worthwhile.

Cue my surprise to find a practical, no bullshit, applied work. Of most value to me three years into this game was the chapter on products and pricing.

Even though it's dated (the section talking about phone lines and faxes will make you smirk to yourself) much of it is extremely useful.
Patrick
A comprehensive introduction to setting up your own consulting practice. Full of practical and useful tips around insurance, facilities, marketing, sales, and pricing. Comes with examples and appendices.

I only gave this book three stars because I'm not looking to start my own shop. I'm happily consulting for another firm, so most of this book wasn't actually useful to me. If I were going to strike out on my own, I think this is the first place I'd turn. Even so, I found the chapters on proposal
Alex Devero
Aug 12, 2015 Alex Devero rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
There are several steps to creating a great consulting business, and by investing time and effort in each, you’ll be able to make a strong start in your new profession. Once your business is off the ground, you can then turn your focus toward growing your business, sharing your wisdom and, above all, doing fulfilling work.
Ilnur Miftakhov
Dec 19, 2016 Ilnur Miftakhov rated it really liked it
Книга получилась мега-важная для меня, вполне просоответствовала ожиданиям. Пошагово, доступно и понятно раскладывает актуальную для меня тему, развинчивая кучу тревог и непоняток. Супер. Наверное, стоит заказать бумажный экземпляр, книга вполне тянет на настольную. Для тех, кто задумывает консалтинговую практику – маст рид.
Holly
Jan 02, 2015 Holly rated it really liked it
For someone exploring with no background in the subject matter, it sure gives a lot to consider. I would not suggest that this is prescriptive because, after all, it's your own business that you are starting. (I read the 3rd edition)
Michael Boezi
Feb 23, 2014 Michael Boezi rated it really liked it
A little outdated this point (I'm not going to be purchasing a fax machine, for instance), but the core principles are solid. I found it to be very useful, and learned some things that I might not have considered—but probably would have learned the hard way. Thank you, Alan Weiss!
Blessing Ezedinma Akupue
Mar 19, 2015 Blessing Ezedinma Akupue marked it as to-read
Very helpful
Keshia
May 27, 2012 Keshia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book many years ago and it is still my go-to book for anything consulting.
Ben Z.
Jan 23, 2012 Ben Z. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Essential, required reading for anyone who's considering becoming a full-time consultant.
Chris Munson
Aug 15, 2012 Chris Munson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: career
The perfect roadmap for anyone considering a career in consulting. Lays out the exact steps and requirements for anyone to begin a sucessful consulting practice. Highly recommended!
Bernadette Wright, PhD
Many useful tips and examples for building up a new consulting practice to become a sustainable, high growth business.
Nick
Jan 28, 2011 Nick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Yes, I learned a lot from this book that I need right now as I ramp up my consulting business.
Dennis Moons
Read this after the million dollar consultant.

Felt like big parts of the book were simply re-used.

Nonetheless, a good book with valuable information from field experience!
Kerri
Mar 13, 2015 Kerri rated it it was ok
Consulting is not for me.
Alisha
Alisha rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Shahab Mirxa
Shahab Mirxa rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2016
Pauline D.
Pauline D. rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2014
Mohammed Al-Askar
Mohammed Al-Askar rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2017
Abdullah Jubaer
Abdullah Jubaer rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Carla
Carla rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2013
Torrance
Torrance rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2013
Sergio Prado
Sergio Prado rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Talal
Talal rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Kabilan
Kabilan rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2014
Ararssa Hordofa
Ararssa Hordofa rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2014
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • Principles of Statistics
  • The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepeneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game

“You Will Be What You Decide to Be, Nothing Less, Nothing More” 0 likes
“should be seen as a credible peer by clients and prospects, not as a vendor, salesperson, or subordinate.  client” 0 likes