Start by marking “The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic” as Want to Read:
The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic

The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  663 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Israel Regardie wrote "The Tree of Life, " a book many consider his magnum opus, " "in 1932. It has continued to sell for decades. And no wonder. Up until the time this book was published, very little information about true high magic was available to the public.
In this book, Regardie reveals the secrets of real magic. He begins with an explanation of what magic is and, j
Published December 8th 2000 by Llewellyn Publications (first published November 30th 1931)

To ask other readers questions about The Tree of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tree of Life

The Book of Occult by Simon W. ClarkThe Infidel Soldiers by Jams N. RosesThis Changes Everything by Sally EmberThe Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoThe Book of Lies by Aleister Crowley
Religion, Occultism, Mysticism, Metaphysical and New Age
75th out of 307 books — 228 voters
Fate Twister by Owen  JonesThe Secret Teachings of All Ages by Manly P. HallMagick in Theory and Practice by Aleister CrowleyInitiation Into Hermetics by Franz BardonThe Mystical Qabalah by Dion Fortune
Occult
28th out of 79 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Kevin
One of the first books I ever read dealing with the practical side of ritual practice and construction. It proved to be a highly influential and important read for me.

I should preface, the early version of the work, before the Ciscero's got a hold of Regardie's materials. I've seen what they've done with his other writings, but not this. I am thankful for that fact.

There is a treasure house of information that can be gleamed from this work, though the language and style will make you work for
Octavian
Written in a delightfully anachronistic style, specifically the plodding & oververbose brand of English that prompted George Orwell to write a hate rant around the same time period. Within these chapters you'll find lots of phrases like "the adept may find himself swirling in the empyrean, not unlike a spirit himself in appearance", or "this practice is not altogether without efficacy". Lots of description by negation of the opposite - kind of quaint really, I'm a sucker for such charms.

Anyw
Ayam Abraxas
Regardie's interpretation of the Kabbalistic Tree of Life and the practice of ritual magick. Pairs well practically with Dion Fortune's book, and the Golden Dawn.
Nicole
Aug 30, 2007 Nicole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: hogd
A must-read for new adepts.
Heather
Reading this now. Regardie is more accessible and easier to understand than Crowley. He was his secretary and has really organized the systems for us. Pure Golden Dawn stuff.
Dawn
First let me start off by saying that I consider myself a spiritual atheist and I have a strong interest in the occult. I practice no rituals and worship nothing.

This was really my first reading of an occult book that was easy to read and comprehend and while there are many points in this book that I can very well agree upon and that have certainly changed my view on life in general overall I was disappointed in many other ways. It seems so odd to me that a religion such as this that is put down
Däv
Dec 30, 2013 Däv rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: If you think Crowley is old hat... read his secretary
a good beginner's guide to practical theurgy... if you don't forget to checkout the bibliography
Richard
very o.k. but plays up to theosophy- and very weak dated ideas on yoga.
Des Lovelock
kabbalah/magick
.dora
Dec 20, 2009 .dora added it
have to read this one several times... in life
James Brown
James Brown marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Laketia
Laketia marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Larry
Larry marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Sara Sinan
Sara Sinan marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Cloud
Cloud marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Laz97
Laz97 marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • Magick: Liber ABA: Book 4
  • Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • The Key of Solomon the King: Clavicula Salomonis
  • Liber Kaos
Israel Regardie (born Francis Israel Regudy) was considered by many to be the last living Adept of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. At an early age, Regardie worked as Aleister Crowley's personal secretary. In addition to his extensive writings, Regardie practiced as a chiropractor and as a neo-Reichian therapist. He taught psychiatry at the Los Angeles College of Chiropractic and contribute ...more
More about Israel Regardie...
The Golden Dawn: The Original Account of the Teachings, Rites, and Ceremonies of the Hermetic Order The Middle Pillar: The Balance Between Mind and Magic A Garden of Pomegranates: Skrying on the Tree of Life The Eye in the Triangle: An Interpretation of Aleister Crowley The Complete Golden Dawn System Of Magic (Ltd Edition)