Start by marking “The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic” as Want to Read:
The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic

The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic

Israel Regardie wrote The Tree of Life, a book many consider his magnum opus, in 1932. It has continued to sell for decades. And no wonder. Up until the time this book was published, very little information about true high magic was available to the public.
In this book, Regardie reveals the secrets of real magic. He begins with an explanation of what magic is and, just
Published December 8th 2000 by Llewellyn Publications (first published November 30th 1931)

To ask other readers questions about The Tree of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tree of Life

Kevin
Mar 27, 2012 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the first books I ever read dealing with the practical side of ritual practice and construction. It proved to be a highly influential and important read for me.

I should preface, the early version of the work, before the Ciscero's got a hold of Regardie's materials. I've seen what they've done with his other writings, but not this. I am thankful for that fact.

There is a treasure house of information that can be gleamed from this work, though the language and style will make you work for
Octavian
Aug 30, 2011 Octavian rated it really liked it
Written in a delightfully anachronistic style, specifically the plodding & oververbose brand of English that prompted George Orwell to write a hate rant around the same time period. Within these chapters you'll find lots of phrases like "the adept may find himself swirling in the empyrean, not unlike a spirit himself in appearance", or "this practice is not altogether without efficacy". Lots of description by negation of the opposite - kind of quaint really, I'm a sucker for such charms.

Anyw
Nicole
Aug 30, 2007 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: hogd
A must-read for new adepts.
Laura Marx
Aug 06, 2016 Laura Marx rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirit-practical
I was about 17 when I read this. I had been floating around different texts from Crowley and Eliphas Levi and different websites here and there for a few years before my guitar teacher, of all people (who was, coincidentally, a member of the O.T.O.), found out about my interest in the occult and gave me this book. I went from being totally lost to, well, still being lost (no book is gonna help you with that one, I guess!), but having a clear view of what I was actually trying to do.

As Regardie
Heather
Jul 12, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: heady
Reading this now. Regardie is more accessible and easier to understand than Crowley. He was his secretary and has really organized the systems for us. Pure Golden Dawn stuff.
.dora
Dec 20, 2009 .dora added it
have to read this one several times... in life
Dawn
Aug 20, 2014 Dawn rated it really liked it
First let me start off by saying that I consider myself a spiritual atheist and I have a strong interest in the occult. I practice no rituals and worship nothing.

This was really my first reading of an occult book that was easy to read and comprehend and while there are many points in this book that I can very well agree upon and that have certainly changed my view on life in general overall I was disappointed in many other ways. It seems so odd to me that a religion such as this that is put down
Jennifer Kneif
Jun 07, 2016 Jennifer Kneif rated it it was amazing
I can say for sure that of all the books I own, this is the one that I am most likely to re-read over and over again. When I first had the pleasure about six or seven years ago, I could only understand very little, and I was able to memorise even less. There was however something heartwarming about Regardie's style of writing which kept me captivated, and it soon became obvious that subsequent revisits would yield new insights into the material contained within, after absorbing for a while what ...more
Alejandro
Aug 19, 2016 Alejandro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is pure magic. As an introduction to whatever mystic or occult tradition (or non-traditional approach), this book totally delivers. The treatises on mythical origins of the theurgic practices and traditions are great, mostly the topic on egyptian mythology. The similarities and connections between the different traditions (including christian myth) are established and addressed in a very direct and illustrating manner. The advices on exalting the will are most valuable when not intimid ...more
Äsruþr Cyneaþsson
Sep 29, 2016 Äsruþr Cyneaþsson rated it it was amazing
I must admit, I once purchased this work, read it and then sold it. I have since moved beyond the inability to see beyond my own terminology and have now rediscovered the work. Regardie here masterfully presents an intense study into many aspects of magic. The views on ritual format and meaning perhaps lead into a Franz Bardon approach that sees initiates engaged with autohypnotic occupation of the consciousness in order to access the greater power of the mind and initiate the self. Regardie wea ...more
Shane
Aug 31, 2016 Shane rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Read this decades ago along with anything else by Israel Regardie. It's very informative and very much a product of it's time. Nothing new to me here but is always worth the read as a kind of revision exercise.

Good.
Raymond Lady
Raymond Lady rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2012
Teerreepie
Teerreepie rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2012
KHNEMURA .
KHNEMURA . rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2016
Charles F.
Charles F. rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
Thom Starling
Thom Starling rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2012
Lulu
Lulu rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2012
Tugrul Ismail
Tugrul Ismail rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2015
David Young
David Young rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Rafael Suleiman
Rafael Suleiman rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2013
A.
A. rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2013
Anne Laveau
Anne Laveau rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2008
Gary Rosenberg
Gary Rosenberg rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2013
Neil
Neil rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2014
Pablo Sandler
Pablo Sandler rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
Alexis Radcliff
Alexis Radcliff rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • Enochian Vision Magick: An Introduction and Practical Guide to the Magick of Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley
  • Magick Without Tears
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • The Goetia the Lesser Key of Solomon the King: Lemegeton, Book 1 Clavicula Salomonis Regis
  • Transcendental Magic: Its Doctrine and Ritual
  • Modern Magick: Eleven Lessons in the High Magickal Arts
  • Three Books of Occult Philosophy
  • Liber Kaos
Israel Regardie (born Francis Israel Regudy) was considered by many to be the last living Adept of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. At an early age, Regardie worked as Aleister Crowley's personal secretary. In addition to his extensive writings, Regardie practiced as a chiropractor and as a neo-Reichian therapist. He taught psychiatry at the Los Angeles College of Chiropractic and contribute ...more
More about Israel Regardie...

“All that can be said with truth of this Absolute and Supreme Reality is that IT IS. This must suffice.” 1 likes