Trouble in Spades (Nina Quinn, #2)

Trouble in Spades (A Nina Quinn Mystery #2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Landscaping is Nina Quinn's business, but trouble seems to be her middle name. Saddled with a recently expelled, faithless local–cop husband, a teenaged terror of a stepson, and the yappiest, most unhousebreakable Chihuahua in captivity, Nina needs a respite –– and the backyard makeover she's undertaking for her sister Maria and Nate, Maria's fiance, may do the trick.

But,...more
Published April 26th 2005 by Avon

Bird
Cute! Cute, cute, cute! While I don't like this series as much as the Lucy Valentine one, I'm really enjoying Nina Quinn. Both series are full of quirky characters, which I love. (The neighbors! Priceless!) Just a quick, fun read that puts a smile on my face. I'm sad that there are only five of them...I think she stopped writing them and moved onto the Lucy Valentine series instead.

Few issues:

Maria, Nina's sister, was beyond annoying. I couldn't understand why Nina kept bowing to her wishes, li...more
Aurian Booklover
Nina Quinn’s life is extremely busy at the moment, her landscaping business has a major undertaking with her sister’s garden, a present from her father-in-law-to-be, and Nina cannot possible get out from being the matron of honor. The dress her sister has picked for her is extremely horrible, and Nina refuses to wear it. Even her mother cannot guilt her into it this time. But then the groom goes missing, is he having an affair with his new female boss, or is something more sinister happening?
Nin...more
Andrea
Webber's Trouble in Spades featuring recently separated landscaper Nina Quinn is a thoroughly satisfying cozy mystery. Nina has taken on the job of redesigning her sister’s backyard as a wedding present for Maria and Nate. Nina’s trouble just seem to pile up one after the other from there. Her stepson Riley, who is still living with her, rather than his father-Nina’s ex, is getting in trouble at school. Nina is conflicted about her relationship with Riley’s principal, she is still attracted to h...more
Paula Ratcliffe
Michelle
Trouble In Spades
Heather Webber
Mystery
274 pages
copyright: 2005
isbn: 0-06-072348-3

Landscaping is Nina Quinn's business, but trouble seems to be her middle name. Saddled with a recently expelled, faithless local-cop husband, a teenaged terror of a stepson, and the yappiest, most unhousebreakable Chihuahua in capitivity. Nina needs a respite--and the backyard makeover she's undertaking for her sister Maria and Nate, Maria's fiance, may do the trick.

But, of course, Nate vanishes mysteriously, and Ni...more
Mary Ann
I love to pick up a new cozy series and watch how the author grows her characters from the first to the next. Nina is spunky, independent, and yet under it she's as insecure as every other woman when it comes to her looks and especially love. She has a crazy family that you get to really know in this latest adventure but at the end of the day it's all about love and friendship. Just put in a request for book number three!
MissSusie
This second book starts off right where the first book ended with the impending wedding of Nina's siter Maria,the problems start when the groom goes missing, and the dead bodies start piling up. Of course with dead bodies comes dealing with her cheating ex which leaves Nina feeling a bit out of sorts.

This is a fun cozy mystery the supporting charcters are so funny I love her neighbor Mr.Cabera & his girlfriend Brickhouse Krauss, we also get to know more of Nina's family in this one. Nina's s...more
The second book in the Nina Quinn series, and Nina's troubles seem to be getting worse! She's somehow landed up with a noisy Chihuahua who pees all over the place. Her problems with her detective husband still haven't been resolved, and things are still shaky between her and her stepson.

She's doing a garden makeover for her sister Maria and Nate (Maria's fiance) as a wedding present, and she's on a really tight deadline. However, Nate suddenly vanishes! There's also a thief in the neighborhood,...more
I have been waiting for the next Lucy Valentine or Wishcraft mystery from Heather Webber/ Heather Blake and missing her writing... until I remembered I still have most of the Nina Quinn books to read! Hooray!

The Nina Quinn series is a read in a sitting book for me, (as long as I have a sitting in which to read it!). As usual I love all of Heather Webber's characters. She has a way of populating her novels without making caricatures of the supporting cast; for example I adore her crazy neighbors....more
Robin DeJarnett
This book introduces Nina's sister Maria - and she's a crack up!

More complicated and more suspenseful, I think, this book is a perfect summer read. The switch to Avon was a good one - this book is more polished and complete than the first one (under Harper Collins).

Heather Webber does a great job in creating interesting characters - Brickhouse Krause is a kick. Nina's relationship with her ex is aggravating - but probably realistic. He's just a snake...

Starting the series from this book is fine...more
Bridget
In this second installment of the Nina Quinn series, Nina is in the throes of implementing the design for her baby sister's garden as a wedding present, when her brother-in-law to be goes missing. Between her dread of dealing with her sister, wearing the bridesmaid's dress chosen for her, and the problems of a dead body turning up in the koi pond of her sister's backyard, Nina has her hands full.

I enjoyed reading this book - a nice break in my reading and a fun set of characters. So OK it's not...more
Sophia
funny as always.
Deena
I might be done with this series.
Too many characters. Too many story lines. Since when did the FBI make a habit of stealing from US citizens who aren't suspected of any wrong doing (especially when a simple request would have sufficed)? The people in this book are far too dysfunctional to be fun to read about, let alone realistic or believable.
All of this seems odd to me, as I like Ms. Webber's newer series. Apparently she was still learning a lot when she wrote this.
Danielle
Book two in the Nina Quinn series! This one centers around Nina's sister, Maria and Maria's fiance, Nate. Nate, a good guy, gets in the way of the wrong people at work, and a lot of people pay the price. Nina is also being pursued by her stepson's school principal. Pursued in a good way. ;) And there's a panty thief! And a Chihuahua! These stories have so much humor, good mystery and excellent writing. I'm a big fan!
Karol
I became familiar with this author through the "Cozy Chicks" blog. http://www.cozychicksblog.com/ I had enjoyed both of the series by Deb Baker, one of the bloggers, and decided to give another author a try. I'm very glad I did!

"Trouble in Spades" by Heather Webber is a fast-paced mystery with laugh-out-loud humor and a classic love triangle. I enjoyed the book very much, and hope to read more from this author.
Julia
I love summer, when I feel I can try reading anything! I have discovered another great cozy mystery series by Heather Webber. Nina Quinn runs a Garden by Surprise business (sounds like something right off of HGTV) and naturally, all those tools and dirt lead to murder. This was a light read, perfect for summer and Webber's characters were fun and quirky.
Kristin Humphreys
I love Heather Webber! This book was so much fun to read. I'm hoping to start the next one in the series today. Between her love life, the bodies piling up, her crazy sister, her crazy cousin, her soon-to-be ex-husband, and hr step-son, Nina Quinn is full of trouble in her life. It's so much fun to read about and I'm so glad it's not my life.
Stacey
I loved this book. The characters grow on you. I didn't fully understand the who did it until the end, which is a good thing. It kept you on your toes and thinking the whole time. I just started a new job and have been tired as all hell so my reading time has been limited. Glad to finally get this one done.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I found this book delightfully fun and fresh. The characters were drawn very realistically and with great dimension. The humor made it a great journey to find the killer. The doggies made me laugh with their antics.

I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Grey853
This book had potential, good writing and an interesting female protagonist, but failed to win me over. That was mainly because I hated all the family squabbling because of the manipulating sister and mother. I like my main characters with a little more backbone, please.
Chris
A book for relaxing with. The neighborhood old folks are fun. The stepson is interesting and her relationship decisions are the only serious part of the book. Lots of fun with her strange family. The mystery was good, not great, but fun.
Tara
Nina Quinn is really starting to grow on me. :-) I'm so glad I have all five books in front of me so I don't have to wait around for the next one. I'm plowing right through these! (And the gardening metaphors are seriously rubbing off on me.)
Candace Davidson
Nina is the main character. Her sister is a riot in this one. Very,very funny! I picked this one up at the library to read and realized that I already read it. LOL Silly me! I am looking forward to reading the 3rd in the Nina Quinn series.
Kelly
I enjoyed reading this. It was a quick read. The main character (Nina) is a strong woman and I like reading about her home problems intermingled with her detective abilities. Makes for good entertaining reading.
Lisa
I skipped 1st in series so maybe it took me a little to connect with the other characters but I liked Nina right away. This was a cute story & the mystery was good. I would read all from series.
Trisha
While I had remembered quite a bit about this from my previous read, I really enjoyed reading it again. The characters are well developed and I especially enjoy Nina and Ana's crazy shenanigans.
Abby
Fun! Romantic enough that I can't help but wonder where she's going with this. I love a book where I can't predict with any certainty who the heroine will choose at the end...
Nora Brosseau
I loved this nook. The characters were wonderful. I loved all the sub stories and how the characters are so vital. Cannit wait to read the next one!
Carol
Fun very quick read!! I have to rememeber to never hire Nina Quinn to do any landscaping for me or any of my friends!!
Leah
Aug 04, 2007 Leah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mystery
It was easy reading...something you could read in a day!
  • Iced Chiffon
  • Let It Sew (A Southern Sewing Circle, #7)
  • The Good the Bad and the Witchy (A Wishcraft Mystery, #3)
  • Death of a Kitchen Diva (A Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #1)
  • Wedding Cake Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #7)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • A Pizza To Die For (Pizza Lovers, #3)
  • Merry Market Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #5)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Laced with Poison (Sweet Nothings, #2)
  • The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse (A Cats in Trouble Mystery, #1)
  • Town in a Pumpkin Bash  (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #4)
  • High Rhymes and Misdemeanors (Poetic Death Mystery, #1)
  • One Dead Cookie (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Sounds of Murder
  • The Long Quiche Goodbye (A Cheese Shop Mystery #1)
  • Treacherous Toys
  • The Maine Mutiny (Murder, She Wrote, #23)
Heather Webber (aka Heather Blake) is the author of more than twenty mystery novels and has been twice nominated for an Agatha Award. She's a total homebody who loves to be close to her family, read, watch reality TV (especially cooking competition shows), drink too much coffee, crochet, and bake (mostly cookies). Heather grew up in a suburb of Boston, but currently she lives in the Cincinnati are...more
More about Heather Webber...
Truly, Madly (Lucy Valentine, #1) Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine, #2) Absolutely, Positively (Lucy Valentine, #3) Perfectly Matched (Lucy Valentine, #4) A Hoe Lot of Trouble (A Nina Quinn Mystery, #1)

“He was obviously on the wrong side of crazy.” 7 likes