Start by marking “Trouble in Spades (A Nina Quinn Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Trouble in Spades (A Nina Quinn Mystery #2)

Trouble in Spades (A Nina Quinn Mystery #2)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  545 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Landscaping is Nina Quinn's business, but trouble seems to be her middle name. Saddled with a recently expelled, faithless local–cop husband, a teenaged terror of a stepson, and the yappiest, most unhousebreakable Chihuahua in captivity, Nina needs a respite –– and the backyard makeover she's undertaking for her sister Maria and Nate, Maria's fiance, may do the trick.

But,
Published April 26th 2005 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Trouble in Spades, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trouble in Spades

It Takes a Witch by Heather BlakeThe Goodbye Witch by Heather BlakeA Witch Before Dying by Heather BlakeThe Forsaken by R.J. CraddockThe Offspring by R.J. Craddock
Our Favorite Good Witches
69th out of 108 books — 49 voters
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyOne for the Money by Janet EvanovichMurder With Peacocks by Donna AndrewsThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. KingA Fatal Grace by Louise Penny
Agatha Mystery Award Nominees and Winners
118th out of 128 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbara ★
Another cute installment in the Nina Quinn series. Though I must admit Nina is pretty much a milksap and gets taken advantage of by everyone - her annoying sister, her mother, her soon-to-be-ex husband. I certainly hope she develops some backbone in future installments. I have trouble getting behind a doormat.

The mystery was interesting though I did figure out who and why early on. Though it was fun watching Nina figure it out.
Bird
Cute! Cute, cute, cute! While I don't like this series as much as the Lucy Valentine one, I'm really enjoying Nina Quinn. Both series are full of quirky characters, which I love. (The neighbors! Priceless!) Just a quick, fun read that puts a smile on my face. I'm sad that there are only five of them...I think she stopped writing them and moved onto the Lucy Valentine series instead.

Few issues:

Maria, Nina's sister, was beyond annoying. I couldn't understand why Nina kept bowing to her wishes, li
Deena
Dec 30, 2010 Deena rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, bosler
I might be done with this series.
Too many characters. Too many story lines. Since when did the FBI make a habit of stealing from US citizens who aren't suspected of any wrong doing (especially when a simple request would have sufficed)? The people in this book are far too dysfunctional to be fun to read about, let alone realistic or believable.
All of this seems odd to me, as I like Ms. Webber's newer series. Apparently she was still learning a lot when she wrote this.
Debbie
Jul 04, 2015 Debbie rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening-cozies
I'm torn with this book. What bothered me with it is mostly annoying side characters. Could not stand Nina's sister, Nina caters to her and puts up with her whining, my kids didn't even whine like that. Her mother tells her and aunt and uncle are staying with her although she has no room, she's to pick them up at the airport even though she's in the middle of a job. Ana friend/cousin seems to disappear whenever they go anywhere, and worst of all a soon to be ex that she's still panting over...fo ...more
Aurian Booklover
Jan 26, 2014 Aurian Booklover rated it it was amazing
Nina Quinn’s life is extremely busy at the moment, her landscaping business has a major undertaking with her sister’s garden, a present from her father-in-law-to-be, and Nina cannot possible get out from being the matron of honor. The dress her sister has picked for her is extremely horrible, and Nina refuses to wear it. Even her mother cannot guilt her into it this time. But then the groom goes missing, is he having an affair with his new female boss, or is something more sinister happening?
Nin
Andrea
Apr 16, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, e-read, reviewed
Webber's Trouble in Spades featuring recently separated landscaper Nina Quinn is a thoroughly satisfying cozy mystery. Nina has taken on the job of redesigning her sister’s backyard as a wedding present for Maria and Nate. Nina’s trouble just seem to pile up one after the other from there. Her stepson Riley, who is still living with her, rather than his father-Nina’s ex, is getting in trouble at school. Nina is conflicted about her relationship with Riley’s principal, she is still attracted to h ...more
Paula Ratcliffe
Michelle
Trouble In Spades
Heather Webber
Mystery
274 pages
copyright: 2005
isbn: 0-06-072348-3

Landscaping is Nina Quinn's business, but trouble seems to be her middle name. Saddled with a recently expelled, faithless local-cop husband, a teenaged terror of a stepson, and the yappiest, most unhousebreakable Chihuahua in capitivity. Nina needs a respite--and the backyard makeover she's undertaking for her sister Maria and Nate, Maria's fiance, may do the trick.

But, of course, Nate vanishes mysteriously, and Ni
Mary Ann
May 29, 2014 Mary Ann rated it liked it
I love to pick up a new cozy series and watch how the author grows her characters from the first to the next. Nina is spunky, independent, and yet under it she's as insecure as every other woman when it comes to her looks and especially love. She has a crazy family that you get to really know in this latest adventure but at the end of the day it's all about love and friendship. Just put in a request for book number three!
Julie Mink
Sep 05, 2014 Julie Mink rated it really liked it
The 2nd book in the Nina Quinn mystery series is as much fun as the first one in the series.

Nina owns a gardening business called Taken By Surprise that does garden makeovers. She comes from a big, funny dysfunctional family that provides many laughs along the way as she gets involved with murder.

I am a big cozy mystery fan and this series is one I am looking forward to reading all of.
MissSusie
Dec 04, 2010 MissSusie rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This second book starts off right where the first book ended with the impending wedding of Nina's siter Maria,the problems start when the groom goes missing, and the dead bodies start piling up. Of course with dead bodies comes dealing with her cheating ex which leaves Nina feeling a bit out of sorts.

This is a fun cozy mystery the supporting charcters are so funny I love her neighbor Mr.Cabera & his girlfriend Brickhouse Krauss, we also get to know more of Nina's family in this one. Nina's s
Jan 17, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
The second book in the Nina Quinn series, and Nina's troubles seem to be getting worse! She's somehow landed up with a noisy Chihuahua who pees all over the place. Her problems with her detective husband still haven't been resolved, and things are still shaky between her and her stepson.

She's doing a garden makeover for her sister Maria and Nate (Maria's fiance) as a wedding present, and she's on a really tight deadline. However, Nate suddenly vanishes! There's also a thief in the neighborhood,
Kathy Moore
Sep 10, 2015 Kathy Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great entertainment

Couldn't stop laughing through at least half the book! What a pleasure to read after suffering thru a book about biological terrorism. I like to like what I read.
Mehrunisa Salim
Nov 02, 2015 Mehrunisa Salim rated it really liked it
Fun read. Plenty of laughs, however again certain characters drove me crazy... and not in a good way.
Feb 06, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I have been waiting for the next Lucy Valentine or Wishcraft mystery from Heather Webber/ Heather Blake and missing her writing... until I remembered I still have most of the Nina Quinn books to read! Hooray!

The Nina Quinn series is a read in a sitting book for me, (as long as I have a sitting in which to read it!). As usual I love all of Heather Webber's characters. She has a way of populating her novels without making caricatures of the supporting cast; for example I adore her crazy neighbors.
Robin DeJarnett
Jun 24, 2009 Robin DeJarnett rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-read
This book introduces Nina's sister Maria - and she's a crack up!

More complicated and more suspenseful, I think, this book is a perfect summer read. The switch to Avon was a good one - this book is more polished and complete than the first one (under Harper Collins).

Heather Webber does a great job in creating interesting characters - Brickhouse Krause is a kick. Nina's relationship with her ex is aggravating - but probably realistic. He's just a snake...

Starting the series from this book is fine
Mare
May 18, 2015 Mare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second installment of the Nina Quinn series brings us more mystery, humor, suspense, and family craziness. The story well paced, the mystery quite satisfying, and the characters just too much fun to miss. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to truly enjoy a romp of a cozy!
Bridget
May 30, 2012 Bridget rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
In this second installment of the Nina Quinn series, Nina is in the throes of implementing the design for her baby sister's garden as a wedding present, when her brother-in-law to be goes missing. Between her dread of dealing with her sister, wearing the bridesmaid's dress chosen for her, and the problems of a dead body turning up in the koi pond of her sister's backyard, Nina has her hands full.

I enjoyed reading this book - a nice break in my reading and a fun set of characters. So OK it's not
SW
Love this series.
Danielle
Mar 15, 2010 Danielle rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, cozy-mystery
Book two in the Nina Quinn series! This one centers around Nina's sister, Maria and Maria's fiance, Nate. Nate, a good guy, gets in the way of the wrong people at work, and a lot of people pay the price. Nina is also being pursued by her stepson's school principal. Pursued in a good way. ;) And there's a panty thief! And a Chihuahua! These stories have so much humor, good mystery and excellent writing. I'm a big fan!
Karol
Feb 16, 2009 Karol rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
I became familiar with this author through the "Cozy Chicks" blog. http://www.cozychicksblog.com/ I had enjoyed both of the series by Deb Baker, one of the bloggers, and decided to give another author a try. I'm very glad I did!

"Trouble in Spades" by Heather Webber is a fast-paced mystery with laugh-out-loud humor and a classic love triangle. I enjoyed the book very much, and hope to read more from this author.
Julia
Jun 23, 2010 Julia rated it really liked it
I love summer, when I feel I can try reading anything! I have discovered another great cozy mystery series by Heather Webber. Nina Quinn runs a Garden by Surprise business (sounds like something right off of HGTV) and naturally, all those tools and dirt lead to murder. This was a light read, perfect for summer and Webber's characters were fun and quirky.
Kristin Humphreys
Mar 11, 2012 Kristin Humphreys rated it it was amazing
I love Heather Webber! This book was so much fun to read. I'm hoping to start the next one in the series today. Between her love life, the bodies piling up, her crazy sister, her crazy cousin, her soon-to-be ex-husband, and hr step-son, Nina Quinn is full of trouble in her life. It's so much fun to read about and I'm so glad it's not my life.
Stacey
Jan 12, 2015 Stacey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I loved this book. The characters grow on you. I didn't fully understand the who did it until the end, which is a good thing. It kept you on your toes and thinking the whole time. I just started a new job and have been tired as all hell so my reading time has been limited. Glad to finally get this one done.
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Nov 22, 2010 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
I found this book delightfully fun and fresh. The characters were drawn very realistically and with great dimension. The humor made it a great journey to find the killer. The doggies made me laugh with their antics.

I look forward to reading the next book in the series.
Grey853
Nov 12, 2007 Grey853 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy
This book had potential, good writing and an interesting female protagonist, but failed to win me over. That was mainly because I hated all the family squabbling because of the manipulating sister and mother. I like my main characters with a little more backbone, please.
Chris
Aug 25, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
A book for relaxing with. The neighborhood old folks are fun. The stepson is interesting and her relationship decisions are the only serious part of the book. Lots of fun with her strange family. The mystery was good, not great, but fun.
Tara
Sep 05, 2011 Tara rated it really liked it
Nina Quinn is really starting to grow on me. :-) I'm so glad I have all five books in front of me so I don't have to wait around for the next one. I'm plowing right through these! (And the gardening metaphors are seriously rubbing off on me.)
  • One Potion in the Grave (A Magic Potion Mystery #2)
  • Snipped in the Bud (A Flower Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Murder In The Milk Case
  • Flipped Out (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #5)
  • Death of a Kitchen Diva (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Forecast (Psychic Eye Mystery, #11)
  • Merry Market Murder (A Farmers' Market Mystery, #5)
  • Laced with Poison (Sweet Nothings, #2)
  • Iced Chiffon (Consignment Shop Mystery, #1)
  • One Dead Cookie (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Cat on the Money (Joe Grey, #6.5)
  • A Haunting Is Brewing (Witchcraft Mystery #6.5; Haunted Home Renovation Mystery, #4.5)
Heather Webber (aka Heather Blake) is the author of more than twenty mystery novels and has been twice nominated for an Agatha Award. She's a total homebody who loves to be close to her family, read, watch reality TV (especially cooking competition shows), drink too much coffee, crochet, and bake (mostly cookies). Heather grew up in a suburb of Boston, but currently she lives in the Cincinnati are ...more
More about Heather Webber...

A Nina Quinn Mystery (7 books)
  • A Hoe Lot of Trouble (A Nina Quinn Mystery, #1)
  • Digging Up Trouble (Nina Quinn, #3)
  • Trouble in Bloom (Nina Quinn, #4)
  • Weeding Out Trouble (Nina Quinn, #5)
  • Trouble Under the Tree (Nina Quinn, #6)
  • The Root of all Trouble(A Nina Quinn #7)

“He was obviously on the wrong side of crazy.” 9 likes