Start by marking “The Trigger” as Want to Read:
The Trigger

The Trigger

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  512 ratings  ·  33 reviews
From Arthur C. Clarke, bestselling author of 2001: A Space Odyssey and Creator Of The Rama Series, and Michael Kube-Mcdowell comes a breathtaking new novel of bold scientific speculation and edge-of-your-seat suspense: a riveting thriller in which the fate of humanity depends on whose finger is on...The Trigger

It is the ultimate anti-weapon. A device that can render guns a...more
Published September 5th 2000 by Spectra (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Trigger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trigger

Profundus Librum
Bár a Tűzszünet (Trigger) eredetileg egy kötet – kivéve Japánban és Franciaországban –, de azon a ponton, ahol a magyar kiadást kettévették, egy valóban nagy tartalmi törés is felfedezhető. Amíg a Ravasz egy Feltaláló-a-Világ-ellen-stílusú általános sci-fi tematika, érdekes tudományos tényekkel (főként a kémia és fizika témaköréből), kísérletekkel, amikből mindent megtudhatunk a különböző robbanóanyagokról, katalizátorokról, lőszerekről, kézifegyverekről és egyéb hadászati anyagokról. Igazi fiús...more
Dana Claycomb
I had to keep looking back at the publishing history page to make sure this book is really fourteen years old. Aside from the clunky references to what the authors imagined the internet and telecommunications would be like in the future (what I am assuming is a modern smart phone, they refer to as a "comset," and then there's the obsession with 3D technology...), the novel could have been written today. A good chunk of the story deals with the conflict between gun rights advocates and disarmamen...more
Ronschae4
Ahhh... it's like homecoming, reading a well-written and thought-provoking Sci-Fi story again! I actually finished this a couple months ago, but find myself returning to the premise of this story: What would happen if all guns and bombs were no longer functional? This is well written, covering the social, practical, and political issues such a development would bring.
Dark Slayer
This novel is a terrible abomination of space and time that insults the very fabric of nature itself.... O_O'
Michael Harry
Quite silly to be honest. The way ending guns leads to a sort of Utopia is just too much. The portrayal of the gun lobby is just over the top and cartoonish. I speak as a liberal living in a (relatively) gun free part of Europe, that it was just too woolly and silly to take. I think the gun folks are wrong but they aren't frothing at the mouth crazy like this.

Also by inventing a device that just magics away guns and explosives from our world, it robs us as humans of a chance to grow past them an...more
Bryan
A great read, similar to a Frank Herbert short story: A great book which instantly reminded me of a short story by Frank Herbert ("Dune" series), called "Ceasefire". Both stories share a similar premise, contemplating the inevitable paradigmatic shift that will come with this (un)earth-shattering development. From Ceasefire: "War will never be eliminated, battles instead being fought with horse cavalry, swords, crossbows & lances...augmented with modern innovations; poison gases, curarae-tip...more
Guillermojimenezespneo
Me pareció muy jalado de los pelos cuando lo empecé a leer. Pero como sucede con los buenos autores de la CF, es plausible, y además es verosímil dentro de su propio contexto. Vamos, un invento que logra apagar cualquier sustancia explosiva es un buen tema si logra redondear la temática y hacerla posible. Hay por supuesto ciertos añadidos emotivos: la crisis del inventor, las tragedias causadas por los sicópatas y sociópatas amantes de la violencia y por consiguiente de las armas, la decisión de...more
Brian Henderson
Great concept, very concept-dense and intriguing. However, I think it peaked relatively early on, much of the last half of the book was just... there. It was politics and debate and a lot of talking heads, very little on the actual adaptation of the technology. The last parts of the book especially felt pointless. Delusional gun nuts taking hostages? 20 years later in the Trigger development they realized it could be a weapon? So what? The story wasn't about that, by the time those elements were...more
Donna
2005

"Arthur C Clarke writes some of the most annoying dialogue I've ever read at the begining of this book. I mean, there are a few gems, but on the whole, the so-called witty banter really took me out of the story, and I love getting in and feeling like I'm there and having to "wake up" to get back to the real world. Of course, yet again, my favourite character dies. Regardless of genre, length, author. Always. Rest assured, if there is to be but one death, it will be my favourite character (I'...more
Ron Davies
Almost scary in its accuracy. While looking for the Higgs-Boson, some physicists stumble on a way to remotely detonate explosives meaning, among other things, the ability to disable guns. From there, the struggle between personal freedom, the collective right to security, the Second Amendment, international politics, and more just builds. Interesting ideas, and very resonant with current events. It's rather amazing that it was written 15 years ago.

Only two things stop this book from getting 5 s...more
Ron Arden
This book continues my journey through Arthur Clarke's world. Very different from his typical books, but good nevertheless. I found it disturbing that little has changed from when he wrote this book in the late '90s. I enjoyed and was terrified by the clash of scientific, political and military worlds. The issue with humanity is we want to be in control, as we define it, and we will cling to that until death. I am intrigued how some will embrace something new for its potential to change things f...more
Peter
A first-class thriller: Clarke and Kube-McDowell have come up with an excellent novel and a gripping thriller. A group of scientists discovers a way to destroy explosives and weapons, and then tries to stop the military from taking it away from them, and the gun lobby from destroying or banning it. As a standoff between the gun lobby and the disarmers develops, the tension mounts. Meanwhile development of the trigger continues, in an attempt to make it smaller, lighter and more selective, with d...more
Andreas
This is the story of a device that disables guns and bombs. It all starts out low key. An accidental discovery in a lab. But as with many such discoveries, it soon takes on a life of it’s own, and leads the inventors (and the reader) to many unexpected places.

Interestingly, this book manages not to preach from either end of the gun-control argument. Without becoming less exciting or interesting, it manages to sum up and discuss the entire issue from the aspect of new technological advances. A gr...more
Space
This one moved me quite a bit. To think something so relatively simplistic (not the technical aspects of the device, but rather the idea) could cause so much horror on such a grand scale is frightening. But it didn't seem far-fetched at all. This was by far my favorite book by Clarke. I've often recommended it to my sci-fi junkie friends, and they've all come away with something from it. Great read, gripping, page-turner. Will definitely read this one again.
Michael Hirsch
An entertaining story about a physics discovery that renders explosives inert, thus making most conventional weapons obsolete. The book explores some of the consequences of this discovery.

From the cover blurb I expected this to be more of a thriller than it was. Instead, it was a very typical Arthur C. Clarke story in which there are no bad guys, just everyone trying to do the right thing and sometimes conflicting.
Tim
Thought-provoking and (mostly) well written, especially the parts where characters discuss and/or argue about the relationship between guns, power, liberty and safety.

However, as is usual with Clarke, the characters are a bit thin and underdeveloped, and serve more or less just to advance the plot. All things considered, though, a good read.
Ian
A fine example of the pure mastery that was Arthur C Clarke. He left his mark on liturate with everyone of his stories and his spirit lives on through his life's work. Stimulating both scientists and dreamers, he has had and will always have a profound impact on the way we view the universe around (and under) us.
Joao Carlos
Dec 23, 2010 Joao Carlos is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
O argumento é bem interessante : O que aconteceria se um dispositivo fosse capaz de detonar todas as armas convencionais ( revolveres, metralhadoras, misséis etc) dentro de um certo raio de ação?.

Entretanto a história com frequência se arrasta demais na descrição psicológica dos personagens principais.
Jack Coleman
Better than expected Sci-fi read about a machine which can render most
small arms fire usless,and the moral and political implications which follow.
although the characters are not too believable its a book which does get you
thinking, a real N.R.A. nightmare.
Caleb Liu
Nice concept on how a scientist creates a machine that has the ability to disable all known weapons within it's field of radius and the somewhat predictable consequences of such a thing happening. Overall, so-so characters and not a terribly engaging plot.
Brenton
I really enjoyed the technology-oriented aspects of this book, but I didn't really buy the political angle. The novel explores how a group of researchers accidentally invent a machine that inevitably will change the world on the subject of violence.
Okie
I really enjoyed the premise in this one, and where Clark and McDowell take it. Scary to me, because it really seems plausible several decades from now, to be able to start this unfortunate sequence of discoveries.
Anita
It was a very good story told very well, but what else would I expect from these authors. The story did drag a bit in spots and was heavy on getting a message across, but for me it was a good message.
Tina
The concept was excellent, but after a few chapters, it seemed to drag. Perhaps it was my mood or some external factor, but this was not one of Clarke's better works, in my opinion.
Jon
Very good, though are there really that many completely nutty gun owners in the US, and is so that's worrying!

Can't wait for the science to catch up with the fiction!
Melbourne Bitter
Scotland in the World Cup final? That bit did make me laugh out loud.
yodi man
finally shifting away from fantasy......mostly because the realms have died off. it's a physics novel- now to find more of those....
VaughanPL
Click here to find it in the catalogue.

Paul Lepa
Anti-gun book - cool concepts - definitly aimed at the US - the gun death statistics are alarming.
Matthew Green
first time ive read a book like this but I really enjoyed it
  • Moonseed (NASA Trilogy, #3)
  • Cosm
  • Powersat
  • Utopia (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #3)
  • There Is No Darkness
  • The Turing Option
  • Genesis
  • The Gates of Creation (World of Tiers, #2)
  • The Sagittarius Whorl: Book Three of the Rampart Worlds Trilogy
  • Fantastic Voyage II:  Destination Brain
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Second Annual Collection
  • The Kassa Gambit
  • Darwin's Children (Darwin's Radio #2)
  • Three Books of Known Space
  • The Black Cloud
  • The Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co...more
More about Arthur C. Clarke...
2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1) Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1) Childhood's End 2010: Odyssey Two (Space Odyssey, #2) The Fountains of Paradise