Che: A Memoir

Che: A Memoir

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In a new, expanded edition of a best-selling Ocean classic, Castro describes a historic political partnership that changed the face of Cuba and Latin America. He vividly portrays Che—the man, the revolutionary, and the thinker—recounting in detail his last days with Che in Cuba, giving a remarkably frank assessment of the Bolivian mission.

Fidel Castro, in an unusually gent...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Ocean Press (first published 1381)

Pollopicu
It's a shame there aren't any reviews written on this book on Goodreads yet. It would certainly make for a very interesting discussion. The preface by Jesus Montane wasn't impressive, however, the intro written by David Deutschmann helped give the reader a quick chronological biography on the political history and contribution that Che Guevara offered the Cuban Revolution. The analysis that Castro offers on the death of Che is thoroughly fascinating. Castro defends the truth behind the murder of...more
Mohammed
I have been looking for such a book for a long time. I wanted to read Castro's story on Che's death, how he received the news, how he made sure that news was correct, and how he addressed the world on that.

This book is exactly about that, in addition to other related things.

I found this book very interesting because of the things I mentioned. There are many stories on Che's death since it was unclear and a lot of people tried to change the true story. I'm not saying that Castro's story is the tr...more
Austin James
I recently finished Fidel Castro's memoir of Che Guevara.

Because Cold War era history is an interest of mine, and I enjoyed Che's "The Motorcycle Diaries", I decided to give this book a shot. I was pretty disappointed. I've never read a history book that has so much repetition. I feel like one could read the first chapter, or even the introduction and have read every notable thing in the book.

The book is actually a collection of speeches and interviews Fidel gave on Che Guevara, mostly covering...more
Susan
I read much and skimmed some. You can really tell the regard Castro had for Che.
Patti Williams
This was a great read, reveals as much about Che as it does about Castro. I was especially surprised at the amount of information Castro seems to provide in his speeches (when everyone was trying to learn whether Che had been killed). And tho I know Che was probably not the romantic icon rebel that many view him as today, I love the fantasy of a handsome, dark, intelligent, man fighting the powerful imperialists to free latin america!
Louise KM
I'm addicted to books about Che Guevara - and to be honest, I thought that this would be a lot more detailed than it actually was, it's a gathering of letters, speeches, rather than an actual biography. Still very interesting to have insight from Castro on his right-hand-man!
Julie
Interesting read. For those who complain about this being a poorly written history book, it is written as a memoir by Fidel Castro. You must go in knowing he is not a historian and will obviously have a bais in his view of the events mentioned. I enjoyed the book immensly.
Vera Lynn Brathen-Gylstrom
Som nevnt av en annen leser, så sier denne boken like mye om Castro som Che. Talene som er gjengitt i boken er interesant lesning. En bok som er verdt å lese. Inspirerer til videre lesning om Che.
Nemo Velazquez
Una forma muy interesante de ver al Che desde la perspectiva Cubana, además se tiene la oportunidad de conocer a Fidel como un gran orador, que a fin de cuentas mueve masas.
Mardell
A rather subjective point of view from Castro. It would be better to read a well written biography of Che or his diaries.
Aden Dohn
a nice collection of fidel's speeches, writings, and interviews about che. Not amazing but not bad either.
Rebecca
Too repetitive for me
Ahmad M. Nagib
Ahmad M. Nagib marked it as to-read
Swastik Agarwal
Swastik Agarwal marked it as to-read
Lara Hatfield
Lara Hatfield marked it as to-read
Diane Keefauver
Diane Keefauver marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Praneeth Kumar
Praneeth Kumar marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Jerry Bagawi
Jerry Bagawi marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Priyadarshana Wijeratne
Priyadarshana Wijeratne marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Sandeep
Sandeep marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Kristian Gunn
Kristian Gunn marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Anna
Anna is currently reading it
May 31, 2014
Ayat Arahman
Ayat Arahman marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Fidel Alejandro Castro Ruz (Spanish: [fiˈðel ˈkastro]; born August 13, 1926) is a Cuban communist revolutionary and politician who was Prime Minister of Cuba from 1959 to 1976, and President from 1976 to 2008. He also served as the Commander in Chief of the Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces from 1959 to 2008, and as the First Secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba from 1961 until 2011. Politicall...more
More about Fidel Castro...
Fidel Castro: My Life: A Spoken Autobiography History Will Absolve Me Fidel & Religion: Conversations with Frei Betto on Marxism & Liberation Theology War, Racism and Economic Injustice: The Global Ravages of Capitalism The Prison Letters of Fidel Castro