Start by marking “Che: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Che: A Memoir

Che: A Memoir

In a new, expanded edition of a best-selling Ocean classic, Castro describes a historic political partnership that changed the face of Cuba and Latin America. He vividly portrays Che—the man, the revolutionary, and the thinker—recounting in detail his last days with Che in Cuba, giving a remarkably frank assessment of the Bolivian mission.

Fidel Castro, in an unusually gent
Published October 1st 2005 by Ocean Press (first published 1381)

To ask other readers questions about Che, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Che

Pollopicu
Dec 08, 2010 Pollopicu rated it really liked it
It's a shame there aren't any reviews written on this book on Goodreads yet. It would certainly make for a very interesting discussion. The preface by Jesus Montane wasn't impressive, however, the intro written by David Deutschmann helped give the reader a quick chronological biography on the political history and contribution that Che Guevara offered the Cuban Revolution. The analysis that Castro offers on the death of Che is thoroughly fascinating. Castro defends the truth behind the murder of ...more
Mohammed
Jun 06, 2012 Mohammed rated it really liked it
I have been looking for such a book for a long time. I wanted to read Castro's story on Che's death, how he received the news, how he made sure that news was correct, and how he addressed the world on that.

This book is exactly about that, in addition to other related things.

I found this book very interesting because of the things I mentioned. There are many stories on Che's death since it was unclear and a lot of people tried to change the true story. I'm not saying that Castro's story is the tr
Austin Neaves
Jan 14, 2011 Austin Neaves rated it did not like it
Shelves: bibliography
I recently finished Fidel Castro's memoir of Che Guevara.

Because Cold War era history is an interest of mine, and I enjoyed Che's "The Motorcycle Diaries", I decided to give this book a shot. I was pretty disappointed. I've never read a history book that has so much repetition. I feel like one could read the first chapter, or even the introduction and have read every notable thing in the book.

The book is actually a collection of speeches and interviews Fidel gave on Che Guevara, mostly covering
Mehdi
Jan 26, 2015 Mehdi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Patti Williams
Aug 05, 2011 Patti Williams rated it it was amazing
This was a great read, reveals as much about Che as it does about Castro. I was especially surprised at the amount of information Castro seems to provide in his speeches (when everyone was trying to learn whether Che had been killed). And tho I know Che was probably not the romantic icon rebel that many view him as today, I love the fantasy of a handsome, dark, intelligent, man fighting the powerful imperialists to free latin america!
Marianne van der Heijden
Mar 23, 2016 Marianne van der Heijden rated it it was amazing
Indrukwekkend boek, dat uit speeches en interviews Fidels beeld geeft over Che. Zijn waardering voor Che's revolutionaire vuur en inzet voor de Cubaanse en uiteindelijk de pan-Amerikaanse strijd tegen het imperialisme. Hieruit blijkt ook duidelijk het verschil tussen Fidel, de revolutionaire strateeg en Che, de bevlogen revolutionair ( en romanticus) . Zeer aan te bevelen.
Julie
Oct 04, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it
Interesting read. For those who complain about this being a poorly written history book, it is written as a memoir by Fidel Castro. You must go in knowing he is not a historian and will obviously have a bais in his view of the events mentioned. I enjoyed the book immensly.
Louise KM
Sep 27, 2011 Louise KM rated it liked it
I'm addicted to books about Che Guevara - and to be honest, I thought that this would be a lot more detailed than it actually was, it's a gathering of letters, speeches, rather than an actual biography. Still very interesting to have insight from Castro on his right-hand-man!
Susan
I read much and skimmed some. You can really tell the regard Castro had for Che.
Aden Dohn
May 31, 2013 Aden Dohn rated it liked it
a nice collection of fidel's speeches, writings, and interviews about che. Not amazing but not bad either.
Vera Lynn Brathen-Gylstrom
Jul 27, 2011 Vera Lynn Brathen-Gylstrom rated it really liked it
Som nevnt av en annen leser, så sier denne boken like mye om Castro som Che. Talene som er gjengitt i boken er interesant lesning. En bok som er verdt å lese. Inspirerer til videre lesning om Che.
Nemo Velazquez
Una forma muy interesante de ver al Che desde la perspectiva Cubana, además se tiene la oportunidad de conocer a Fidel como un gran orador, que a fin de cuentas mueve masas.
Mardell
Dec 06, 2011 Mardell rated it liked it
A rather subjective point of view from Castro. It would be better to read a well written biography of Che or his diaries.
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
May 12, 2010
Iris
Iris rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2012
Wadood Safa
Wadood Safa rated it really liked it
May 30, 2014
Suzanne McLean
Suzanne McLean rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Yeong
Yeong rated it liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Adam Tahir
Adam Tahir rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
Enrico
Enrico rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2010
Lorenzo E. Fränkel
Lorenzo E. Fränkel rated it it was ok
Nov 02, 2012
Dilenk
Dilenk rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Khelli
Khelli rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Abhilash
Abhilash rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2013
Ajith
Ajith rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2012
Craig Shreve
Craig Shreve rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2008
Spoorthy
Spoorthy rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Dorilis
Dorilis rated it did not like it
Jun 09, 2015
Rio Furu
Rio Furu rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
  • The End of Racism: Finding Values in an Age of Technoaffluence
  • The Soong Dynasty
  • Death Proof
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • The Gunfighters (The Old West, #8)
  • Robert E. Lee
  • Chesty: The Story of Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC
  • Radical Son: A Generational Odyssey
  • Henry Adams and the Making of America
Fidel Alejandro Castro Ruz was a revolutionary & politician who was Prime Minister of Cuba (1959-76) & President (1976-2008). He also served as the Commander in Chief of the Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces (1959-2008) & as the First Secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba (1961-2011). Politically a Marxist-Leninist, under his administration the Republic of Cuba became a one-party soc ...more
More about Fidel Castro...