Girl, Going on 17: Pants on Fire (Jess Jordan, #3)

Girl, Going on 17: Pants on Fire (Jess Jordan #3)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  818 ratings  ·  43 reviews
It's never fun when a great summer comes to an end.

Particularly when one argues with one’s adorable, but grossly insensitive, boyfriend the night before school starts. It’s such a terrible fight, Jess doesn’t know—are they broken up? Should she apologize? Too bad Jess is spending all her time in detention and can’t talk to Fred to figure it out. A sadistic new English teac...more
Published July 25th 2006 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Girl, Going on 17, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl, Going on 17

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerExplosion in Paris by Linda Masemore PirrungHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Favorites
492nd out of 544 books — 239 voters
Witchful Thinking by H.P. MalloryToil and Trouble by H.P. MalloryMini Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaFire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. MalloryUndead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson
Cutest Book Covers
183rd out of 316 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Jade Nichole
Jess and her boyfriend, Fred, get into a huge fight and break up. The school year then starts again after a long summer. Jess and Fred continue to ignore each other and try to make each other jealous by talking to other people. School starts to be a big struggle for Jess.Her English teacher tries to change her attitude, but she continues to make the same mistakes. A lot of things have changed within six months, the good and the bad all made quite an interesting end to this novel. I recommend thi...more
Arminzerella
bookczuk
This book was sent to me by a BookCrosser. I'm not really much of a chick lit reader, but have read more in the past few years. The thing that I like about the books that are written abroad is how they broaden my vocabulary and give me glimpses into a very different lifestyle and location. My life is richer for knowing the difference between snogging and shagging (just an ironic aside here. There is a famous dance done to beach music, that originated in this area, called, you guessed it, the sha...more
Irina
Clarabel
Une série à laquelle je suis très attachée.
Cette fois Jess apparaît vulnérable, par la faute de son petit copain qui lui joue un vilain tour la veille de la rentrée. Elle qui flottait sur un petit nuage connaît la chute libre, de plus son prof d'anglais est en arrêt maladie et remplacé par Miss Epine, alias Tyranosaure. Ajoutez que sa meilleure amie Flora décroche le rôle que Jess convoitait, plus ce garçon très sexy, qu'elle adorait l'année d'avant, ne cesse de la coller, ce qui voudrait dire q...more
Anna
Mar 23, 2011 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Anna by: fans of Jess Jordan
Having listened to the first two books in this series, I was actually pretty excited to read this one. They don't have it available on audio but that was okay because by this point I was pretty into the characters, especially Jess and Fred. I was a little bit surprised by how they break up in the beginning but I thought the whole book was well written and very engaging. Jess is a likable protagonist and even though she keeps screwing up, you can't help but root for her. I liked the story lines t...more
Pearl
Jul 11, 2013 Pearl rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who loves British humor foremost
First of all you have to read the previous books to get the full jitz of this book because I'm seeing reviews that they havnt heard of the Jess Jordan Series yet before they picked this book up to read so read Girl 15 Insane and Girl going on 16 Torture (not the full titles just some key words)
Anyway this was hilarious. Jess' life is so complicated you wanna laugh yet cry for her at the same time. Her imperfections can also relate to many other girls. I recommend this if you're a fun person who'...more
Courtney
When Jess' boyfriend, Fred, jokes that he wants to keep their relationship a secret at school this year, Jess isn't so sure it's a joke! Suddenly they are at war... and as usual, Jess' topsy-turvy life makes the entire thing funnier than anyone would have guessed.

This book was my least favorite of the trilogy. It attempted to rehash old ground from the first and the second books, without any new illumination and with few new characters. Fans of the trilogy will enjoy it, but browsing readers wil...more
Gracie
This book is really exciting, funny and so romantic!! I wish this wasn't the last book to the Jess Jordan series!!
Heather
I really enjoyed this book.It had some realy funny parts, and I always laughed when Jess got into a scrape. I would recommend this book to everybody with a sense of humor.

One thing that bugged me about this book was Fred. I thought that after Jess knowing Fred for so long, she would know his personality better. For example Jess should know when Fred is mad and when he isn't, because twice in the series they have had misunderstandings.
Natalie
So funny! Summer's over and school is starting again, but Fred and Jess have a major row, and then there is the horrid new English teacher, who want's to eat Jess for lunch, and her Mom is dating someone young enough to be her son....how will Jess ever cope?

Watching Jess deal with all the traumas in her life and creating many of her own, is a delight. These books make me laugh so hard. I love British humor.
Celia
What a fun, funny book. Jess Jordan is a British teen, a little overweight, but with a huge sense of humor. Unfortunately, she gets into so much trouble on the very first day of the new school term, that it looks as if her life is doomed. Jess deals with her problems the way she knows best, by being outrageously funny. A good read for 7-8th graders. They will need to know a few British words, like loo and knickers.
Catherine
After a tedious first chapter that tries to bring you up to speed (its a sequel novel), I started to really enjoy the character in this book. By the halfway mark her antics had me laughing out loud. Ending was predictable but isn't that what you're looking for in a novel of this sort?
I'll read the next one (or the one before it) if I happen across them.
ReadingToTheStarsAndBack
Sue Limb is Queen of Hilarity. She is just awesome! Every book i have read from her, (so far it stands at three books) has a part in it when i have to laugh out loud. Unfortunatly, i was reading Pants on Fire yesterday...in a shop. Bad idea. I laughed so explosivly that the book fell out of my hands. Not cool.

Vee xD
~*kath*~
Ugh, used the word "retarded" as a slang for "foolish" within the first few pages. I know teenagers use that word, but seeing it used in this book is like confirmation that it is OK. Authors, it's not ok - EVER.

Wouldn't even give it away. Charity bin for this one.
Jasmin
Feb 19, 2010 Jasmin is currently reading it
Im almost done with the book and sad there is no more to the series, because this book is so good i wish it was made into a movie. Anyone that enjoys a good laugh and a sob story should more then likely read this book.
Sunshie
As it is with most books I didn't find Sue Limb's 3rd book about Jess as intriguing as the first. It was still very entertaining though. I had to stop reading several times to avoid having the book taken by a teacher.
Taylor
Such fun, these books. Jess's voice just jumps off the page, I often forget it's written in 3rd person and not first. Good fun to read the Jess Jordan books when you want something light and frothy.
Tiff
Sep 23, 2007 Tiff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teen girls and fans of the series
Shelves: young-adult
This book, unfortunately, was not as successful as the other two. It is still worth reading, especially if you want to complete the series, but I do feel the 1st book was much better!
Jessica
I am a little embarrassed about it, but I love this series. It is so juvenile and irreverent. Perfect reading for de-stressing.
It won't let me, but I give it 4 stars.
Caoimhe
This book was really good but maybe just not good enough for 5 stars it was also the second think book I have ever read and trust me that means something
Kate
3rd book in the series. Still funny. I have re-read all of these books, trying to dissect why and how Sue Limb does it! She is just too hilarious.
Elise
How can a girl get so unlucky in one school year? Jess has a lot of embarrasing moments and some a really recognizable.
Mandy (Tea and Toast)
Absolutley hilarious! Love Jess Jordans character. this is definentley a laugh out loud kind of book and enjoyed reading it. :)
Amie
A funny read, a great series for any girl to read who is 12 and older. I read it a few years ago and loved it.
Kat
This one was definitely more engaging than the first two in the series. I still wouldn't recommend it, though.
Kali
Absence of any real character to development. Good for a quick laugh.
Janie Hepler
It annoyed me a bit at first, but it perked up towards the middle. Very funny.
Valeria
Wonderfully funny, really perked up my mood when I was bedbound with a fever.
Erin
Better than the 2nd, not as good as the first. Still, love the comedy.
  • My Desperate Love Diary (Diaries of Kelly Ann, #1)
  •  How to Rock Break-Ups and Make-Ups
  • Som jag vill vara
  • He Said, She Said
  • The Sound of Your Voice, Only Really Far Away
  • Sealed with a Kiss (Diary of a Crush, #3)
  • Popular Clone: The Clone Chronicles #1
  • Frenemies (Frenemies, #1)
  • Two Steps Forward (Steps, #2)
  • Devon Delaney Should Totally Know Better
  • Mates, Dates, and Chocolate Cheats (Mates, Dates, #10)
  • My Cup Runneth Over: The Life of Angelica Cookson Potts
  • Classroom Chaos
  • So Super Starry (Octavia Clairbrook-Cleeve, #1)
  • How My Private, Personal Journal Became a Bestseller
  • The Good, the Fab, and the Ugly (Poseur, #2)
  • Forever Rose (Casson Family, #5)
  • Stop in the Name of Pants! (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #9)
Girl, 15, Charming but Insane (Jess Jordan, #1) Girl, Nearly 16: Absolute Torture (Jess Jordan, #2) Girl, Barely 15: Flirting for England (Jess Jordan, #4) Girl, 16: Five Star Fiasco (Jess Jordan, #5) Zoe and Chloe: On the Prowl (Zoe & Chloe, #1)