Start by marking “Fushigi Yugi: VizBig Edition, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Fushigi Yugi: VizBig Edition, Volume 1

Fushigi Yugi: VizBig Edition, Volume 1 (Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play #1-3)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  565 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Written and illustrated by Yuu Watase, Fushigi Yûgi originally appeared in serial form in the monthly manga magazine Shōjo Comic. It premiered in the May 1992 issue and ran for over four years, with the final chapter appearing in the June 1996 issue. The series was simultaneously published in eighteen collected volumes by Shogakukan, with new volumes being released on a qu ...more
Published January 6th 2009 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Fushigi Yugi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fushigi Yugi

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaDeath Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaNaruto, Vol. 01 by Masashi KishimotoBleach Volume 01 by Tite KuboOne Piece, Volume 01 by Eiichiro Oda
Best Manga of All Time
53rd out of 287 books — 446 voters
Nana, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaParadise Kiss, Volume 1 by Ai YazawaNodame Cantabile, Vol. 1 by Tomoko NinomiyaMidnight Secretary, Vol. 01 by Tomu OhmiHoney and Clover, Vol. 1 by Chica Umino
Best Josei - Manga
38th out of 116 books — 299 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate
I was first introduced to Fushigi Yugi over 10 years ago. My husband had to be at meetings every Tuesday night until quite late, and so I was left to myself. One night, I was flipping through channels and came across the International channel and started watching midway through some show. It turned out to be Fushigi Yugi, and while it was ultra dramatic at times, I found myself completely absorbed into the story and looked forward to it each Tuesday evening. I hadn't discovered manga yet, so I d ...more
Lindsay
I first got into Fushigi Yugi through the anime about 10 years ago. I was instantly hooked. But in terms of the manga, I was always waiting for a complete set of volumes (like this) instead of the individual books. I am so thrilled they have finally compiled them into "big books" and now 10 years later, I think I love the series even more. I've read a lot of manga and seen even more anime, but this by far has always been my favorite series.
Elizabeth Hopkinson
I cannot tell you how much I fell in love with this manga series (and with the beautiful and tragic Hotohori). It has definitely influenced my stories and will continue to influence me for the rest of my life.
David
I've always love this anime. The manga does not disappoint in the least.

Now I've got to go buy the remaining volumes.
Amy
This was one of my favorite anime series when I was a teen. I found this at the library and checked it out to see if it lived up to my memories. It kinda did.

I had a bit of a hard time tracking who was saying what. Sometimes a person is speaking that isn't in the frame, and there isn't any direction for where the words are coming from. And I think I would have gotten a lot more confused if I didn't already know the story and what was happening.
Anna
After hearing all the "omigawd, the best manga/anime EVER!!!", I read this series years ago; didn't live up to the hype. Nice artwork, interesting idea, but went a little overboard with the goofy comic-relief (got annoying and distracted from the story) and I didn't feel any chemistry between the main characters who seem to fall passionately in love for no apparent reason (except that they initially hate each other, which we ALL KNOW means you are in LOVE). The collecting of the celestial warrio ...more
Sydnee
Usually I don't write reviews on manga but I thought I'd give it a shot this time. It was interesting to say the least. As with all manga Love developed with in like the first 60 pages. And I was kind of bothered by Yui's complete character flip towards Miaka.
I mean she was reading the book with Miaka in it so obviously she should have been able to see that time was flowing differently. And also I know she went through and hard time and but even if Miaka was there it wouldn't have stopped thos
Francesca Morales
As much as I love this mangaka and her original ideas for plots, I couldn't help thinking "What if Inuyasha had been taken a step forward?" So if you enjoy 'Inuyasha', romance, and life lessons, I'd definitely recomend that you hurry and pick this manga up!
Eulercauchy
It really is the work of a growing artist. I've seen the anime 10+ years ago and it blew my mind. The manga can be a little disjointed but the art is beautiful and I know the story gets much better.
Mary Skolnik
My brief obsession with girly manga probably started here. Middle school.
Jim
gave it a dozen pages before i gave up on it.
Danielle
I have a soft spot for stories where a person travels either back in time or into a fictional world, so this was right up my alley.
It's pretty cliche, but a whole lot of fun anyway. Maybe not quite as good as some of my favourites, but if you are just looking for a little mushy romance and a bit of an adventure then this fits the bill. Although the main character could use a backbone now and again, I really did like her anyway with her quirky personality and funny moments.
Sara
First I should probably say that I love fluffy escapist reading. If there is a love story it's even better and the Japanese seem to excel at romance (even if it is doomed.) It's a good story and I love the art. While for the most part it is serious, there are plenty of funny moments. There are 18 volumes so I hope it stays good.

Chloe Simpson
It is most likely my general lack of taste for manga, but I did not find Fushigi Yugi to be interesting enough to read any other volumes. If you are a manga fan then this particular rating will likely not be helpful. Manga just does not appeal to my personal taste, perhaps it is an acquired taste.
ClassicMaiden
I remember I read it years ago. I read it because I loved the Anime version so much. I've always loved stories about characters entering books they're reading and this one is a lovely example of a such a type of story.
CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?
Just keep in mind when I say a classic, I don't just mean the art and storyline, I mean the references such as VCR. Still. Very funny, cute Yu Waatase book. A little dark with some lighthearted parts.
Emily
I picked this up as a sort of walk through memory lane. I never did see the whole television show/anime, and this collection stopped shortly before where I'd left off with the show.
Danyka
I watched and loved the Anime version of this since I was a kid. It also landed on my favorites.

For now, I got no plans for buying a copy.
Usako
Manga like this tends to suck me in until I have read every volume. Classic romance and one of the best manga.
Samie Feliciano
Jul 23, 2013 Samie Feliciano added it
Recommends it for: people who love graphic novels
Recommended to Samie by: no one
It was amazing there was so many things about the book that I love that I wish I could conclude in my own writing.
Robin
Great story! Love the characters and the back and forth between past and present day.
Cris
Jul 11, 2012 Cris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
An amazing manga! Best romance story ever!!!
Tabitha
even better then the second one... kinda
Lin Jocelyn
good, fun, nice ,awesume, love it.
Kala
Sep 19, 2012 Kala added it
great:D
Helen
Helen is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2015
Caminie
Caminie marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
  • Clover Omnibus (Clover, #1-4)
  • Skip Beat! (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1, 2 & 3
  • Hot Gimmick, Volume 1 (Hot Gimmick Omnibus Edition, #1)
  • Inuyasha, Volume 1 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 3 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #3)
  • Tail of the Moon, Volume 11
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 1 (Rurouni Kenshin #1-3)
  • Wild Ones, Vol. 6 (Wild Ones, #6)
  • A Bride's Story, Vol. 4
  • Psychic Academy Volume 2: v. 2
  • Kamisama Kiss, Vol. 07
  • A Drunken Dream and Other Stories
  • Saint Dragon Girl, Vol. 01
  • Gaba Kawa
A Japanse shoujo manga-ka. She is known for her works Fushigi Yūgi, Alice 19th, Ceres: The Celestial Legend, Fushigi Yūgi Genbu Kaiden and Absolute Boyfriend. She likes all music, except heavy metal and old traditional music.

She received the Shogakukan Manga Award for shōjo for Ceres, Celestial Legend in 1997. Since writing her debut short story "Pajama de Ojama" ("An Intrusion in Pajamas"), Wata
More about Yuu Watase...

Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 01: Priestess
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 07: Castaway
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 08: Friend
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 09: Lover
  • Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 10: Enemy
Absolute Boyfriend, Vol. 01 Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 01: Priestess Alice 19th, Vol. 1 (Alice 19th, #1) Ceres, Celestial Legend: Aya (Ceres, Celestial Legend #1) Fushigi Yûgi: Genbu Kaiden, Vol. 01