Start by marking “The Doll People” as Want to Read:
The Doll People

The Doll People (Doll People #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  8,775 ratings  ·  897 reviews
A family of porcelain dolls that has lived in the same house for one hundred years is taken aback when a new family of plastic dolls arrives and doesn't follow The Doll Code of Honor. Annabelle Doll is eight years old- she has been for more than a hundred years. Not a lot has happened to her, cooped up in the dollhouse, with the same doll people, day after day, year after ...more
256 pages
Published 2000 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about The Doll People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doll People

Jason
Aww, I wish my kids liked this more than they did. I mean they did like it, definitely, but they didn’t like like it, you know? And this review is going to have to reflect their reaction to it, not mine, because personally I think this book is cute. But evidently they have different tastes than I do, and who am I to judge? (Just for the record, though, those little jerks wouldn’t know a good book if it bit ’em in the ass.)

The Doll People is the story of a bunch of anthropomorphic dolls who’ve li
Patrick
If you are looking for a story that you can share with your chapter reader that doesn't include first loves, cliques or mean girls than this is the story for you. This was a sweet, delightful and clever story about adventure, friendship and mystery.

Annabelle is part of a doll set that is over one hundred years old. The set has been passed down from grandmother to daughter to granddaughter. Annabelle is curious about what happened to her Auntie Sarah who disappeared from the doll set over 50 yea
Katie Carson
Although this book is a favorite on my bookshelves, many of my eighth grade girls seems reluctant to pick it up (by fourteen, you apparently should be over dolls, in the eyes of my students) and enthralled within the first few pages. The story about is about an old porcelain doll family who is bombarded with the arrival of a new plastic doll family, who do not respect their "dated" ways of life and The Doll Code of Honor.
This brought to my mind memories of my mom forcing her old Chrissy doll (I
Kacy
OMG BEST BOOK IN THE WORLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...more
Kathryn
This is the first book in the Doll People series, but I unknowingly read them out of order, starting with the third book which is the only one my library had on audiobook. I loved it so much that I asked for the first one for my birthday ;-) I loved it, too.

Here is the story of Annabelle Doll and her family. Created over 100 years ago in England, the Doll family came to live with a little girl in America and has been passed down from mother to daughter over the years. Annabelle and her family no
Rebecca McNutt
Original, creative and filled with stunning illustrations, The Doll People is a great book for children with a lot to offer, including a colorful cast of characters, vivid imagery and a large amount of vocabulary. It's nostalgic too, Martin also brought us Babysitters Club Collection #1 in the Nineties and her style is clearly visible in the text.
Linda Lipko
If you are looking for something in depth and intellectual, this isn't the book for you, but if you are weary, tired and simply wanting something smooth, delightfully creative, imaginative and unique, then by all means, take a journey through doll land where magic occurs.

A porcelain family of dolls have inhabited an antique doll house for four generations. They come alive during the day when the house is empty and at night when the house is quiet.

There are funny adventures, both inside the doll
Lizzy Knowles
SPOILER ALERT
Written by Ann M. Martin & Laura Godwin
Pictures by Brian Selznick

There is a house of dolls, but not just any kind of dolls they are alive. Humans don’t know this but when they are away they can talk, walk, read and do just about anything that you could think of. There is one doll who has a secret that no one else knows, and her name is Annabelle. She has 7 people in her family, one is a nanny. Her aunt and uncle live with her and her family.
Auntie Sarah has been missing for
Brittney Griffith
This book is one of my favorites from when I was younger. I love the mystery of trying to find Auntie Sarah and all of the adventures that Annabell goes on to find her aunt and get around the house. Annabell is a doll, who has been passed down in the same family for generations. Fifty years ago, Auntie Sarah disappeared and Annabell's doll family has never found out where she disappeared to. When another doll family moves in, Annabell befriends the daughter and they decide that Annabell needs to ...more
Claire S
We really liked this, but were sort of weirded out by it. Plus, an ongoing weird thing would happen where, toys that make music would go on mysteriously in the middle of the night. Throughout my daughter's childhood... it would happen now and then. This one ball with knob-like things sticking out that was really loud, and this one horse with a purple mane.. So, given that, we were perhaps a little bit sensitive. Anyway, great book, the sequel as well. A bit dark, but still..
Mariana
Rating:
I give this book 5 stars because it is a-ma-zing. It tells me that dolls are people too, st the beginnig when Mr. Judd gave me this book, I thought it was for babies! But no way, it is amazing! It is a gorgeous story.

Summary:
At Kate's room lied a 100 year old doll house which loved a very curous little girl, Annabelle. She and her family were very scared of humans because they did not want to enter Permanent Doll State, which is when a doll shows herself to a human and then the doll dies
(NS) Becca
Doll people is a fantastic book that explores the adventures of Annabelle the doll and her secret life. Annabelle keeps us in suspense as she dabbles in some dangerous business and threatens her own "permanent doll state."

I literally could not put this put down as I read it. I have always been a huge fan of Ann Martin, but this collaboratively written novel is an excellent new tale. It enlightened me to a new style of writing that I had never read from Ann Martin before (I read the whole babysi
 (NS) Amie
I enjoyed listening to this low fantasy story about personified toys. Annabelle Doll and her family of china dolls have lived a happy, yet somewhat boring, life for over one hundred years in their doll house. Annabelle, the most curious of the all wants to find out what happened to her Aunt Sarah, who vanished almost fifty years ago, and is determined to find her even if it means leaving their home and risking the chance of being seen out of place by the humans who own them. Adding to the excite ...more
Cindi
This was a very cute and imaginative book and the reader was excellent (the same one who read Inkheart). I think every little girl (and maybe boys too!) wonder about their dolls coming alive when they aren't looking. I remember watching Raggedy Ann and Andy and then thinking about my dolls. This book has a nice mixture of old-fashioned and modern and several generations of family living in the same house. Don't tell him I mentioned this, but even my almost 15 year old boy thought that this was p ...more
Kim
Charming! I enjoyed it just as much as I would have if I had read it when I was younger. I've got a soft spot for books about miniature people. The illustrations really enhanced the story.
Linda Johnson
Mar 24, 2013 Linda Johnson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has ever wondered if dolls can be real.
Recommended to Linda by: Students in the library
Ever since I was a little girl and had a dollhouse that my father built, I used to imagine that the dolls were real.

This book brought me back to my childhood and the wonderful memories of that dollhouse.

The story tells of an daring doll and her adventures to find her aunt (also adventuresome) who had gone missing. Of course, all of the doll's activities have to happen when the people are gone or asleep.

Read about Annabelle and the other dolls in the family as they travel through the house looki
Hillari
I read this aloud to my three children, ages 7, 5, and 3. We all really enjoyed it. It was a fun story with a good mystery thrown in. I highly recommend it as a read-aloud, or for a young reader. Although I have to admit--it was exremely tempting to sneak ahead and find out what really happened to Auntie Sarah, so you don't necessarily have to be young to enjoy this one.
I also have to add that my children saw on goodreads that there are two sequels out to this book, and they are begging me to im
Shanelle
My daughter LOVED this book. I have never seen her so excited to read a book before, she couldn't put it down. She was so excited she wanted me to read it too. I thought it was cute, and I liked the drawings. What I liked most about the book was an underlying theme about how two sisters take care of their "dolls." Kate, takes good care of her dolls, thus she is more beloved by the doll people. Nora, is not so gentle and she is dreaded when she plays with the them. To see my daughter excited abou ...more
Caycee Hatchette
Personal reaction- this book was really enjoyable. I thought it might be a little weird and unbelievable at first, but as I kept reading, the more I was able to enjoy and start to question whether or not dolls are people too.

Read aloud to make curriculum connection-I think that you could read this book aloud to have students reflect on imagination with writing. I think that you could have students pick an inanimate object to give life to write a story about and at the same time, you could read
Jessica Mcmahon
Annabelle Doll is a doll hundreds made in England and passed down from generations to a girl in America. She actually has a conscious mind- as does the rest of her family. They are also able to walk and talk to each other, but they must be careful. Being caught moving by a human means they fall into something called the "doll state," where you are not able to move until some time later. And then there is permanent doll state- which is the doll state... But it lasts FOREVER. Annabelle's family is ...more
Melanie
☺Trish
I really enjoyed this fantastic story about a living doll family and the adventures the daughter, Annabelle, experiences. Unique and fun!
Deena
So, I read this to Ruby (5) as a recommendation from a friend of Ruby's and her mom. . . I found it a little creepy and am now worried about the next book in the series "The Meanest Doll in The World". Ruby became a little obsessed with 'permanent doll state' which is a threat throughout this book. I'm going to stick with good old Beverly Cleary for a while.
JSou
This was really cute. My 8 year old daughter LOVED this book. Even my older daughter who is 12, started joining us every night to read it. It's a great little tale about family and friendship with a little mystery thrown in. The illustrations and cover art throughout this book were are awesome, I even enjoyed them! Moving on to the sequel... :)
Jenny
We picked this book up from the library primarily because my daughter has the same name as the main character in this book (Annabelle). It has a little slower pace than other chapter books we've read recently, which I enjoyed. It felt refreshing to sink into this little world of living dolls in a quiet house, rather than being pulled by hook after cliffhanger through a story.

The little details about the difference between the old dolls (a set that came from England over a century ago) and the n
Shannon Burton
My daughter, also named Annabelle, age 8, and I listened to this on a road trip to Virginia. Narrated beautifully by Vanessa Redgrave, the plot of dolls coming alive and searching for the lost Auntie Sara kept our attention for the full 4 hours. A lovely little story; for young and young at heart.
Jayce Senter
Genre: Fantasy
AR level: 4.0
Grade appropriate: 2nd and up

RATING BREAKDOWN:
Overall: 5/5-- This series has been very popular in the library since I started. I had never heard of them before becoming a librarian. A new one in the series just came out so I finally made the time to read one.

This is absolutely the kind of book I would have loved as a kid! I have already recommended one of my childhood favorites (People of Pineapple Place) to a fan of this series.

Creativity: 5/5

Characters: 5/5-- Dol
Ellen
Doll People came out in those in-between years when I wasn't in college training to be a teacher and wasn't yet parenting or in my own classroom, so somehow I missed its quiet entrance into what will surely become classic children's literature. Nevertheless, it has earned that place in the homes and families of several readers I trust. At last, I gave it a read myself and find it to be as delightful as I heard.

Annabelle Doll is eight, and has been for 100 years. She has watched the girl who firs
Brianna
Dec 29, 2007 Brianna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 8-13 year olds
Never gets boring! Way awesome book by Naylor. Now, you can creep into the dolls life without it being too babyish or boring. Then one doll finds an old doll diary belonging to a doll lost long ago, and so many adventures spark up from there.
Mary
I would recommend this to elementary school readers who are interested in dolls, dollhouses, make-believe, or a tame fantasy. It would also be a good readaloud. I listened to the audiobook; Lynne Redgrave does a great job.
how it was. 10 39 Jul 14, 2013 12:15PM
How did you like the book? 7 17 Jul 14, 2013 12:04PM
  • Toys Go Out (Toys #1)
  • The Night Fairy
  • The Best-Loved Doll (An Owlet Book)
  • No Flying in the House
  • Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel
  • Over My Dead Body (43 Old Cemetery Road, #2)
  • Young Fredle (Davis Farm, #2)
  • Secrets at Sea
  • The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook
  • The Sixty-Eight Rooms (Sixty-Eight Rooms #1)
  • The End of the Beginning: Being the Adventures of a Small Snail (and an Even Smaller Ant)
  • The Search for Delicious
  • Tumtum and Nutmeg: Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall
  • Princess of the Damned
  • The Tail of Emily Windsnap (Emily Windsnap, #1)
  • Twig
  • The School Story
  • The Word Eater

More about Ann M. Martin...

Doll People (4 books)
  • The Meanest Doll in the World (Doll People, #2)
  • The Runaway Dolls (Doll People, #3)
  • The Doll People Set Sail (Doll People, #4)
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Corner of the Universe A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3) Rain Reign