Start by marking “Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook: Explosive Flavors from the Southwestern Kitchen” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  2,163 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Smoky, earthy, fruity, and spicy, the flavors of the Southwest have intrigued Bobby Flay ever since he was a young chef, eventually serving as the inspiration for the menu at his first restaurant, Mesa Grill. Now sixteen years later, Bobby’s bold and vivacious take on this cuisine has made him a fixture on America’s culinary scene and turned Mesa Grill into a veritable ins ...more
Published October 16th 2007 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook

Don Gillette
May 27, 2017 Don Gillette rated it liked it
Very well-written, entertaining cookbook chock full of Bobby Flay's signature fare and for those who enjoy every single thing on their plate to have that Southwestern taste to it, you'll be overjoyed. To me, it gets very old very quickly, but I'm not judging the recipes, I'm reviewing the book.
As far as cookbooks go, you won't find another one as well put together. This guy and Mario Batali know how to write a cookbook.
Evan Broder
Apr 15, 2015 Evan Broder rated it really liked it
I love the food at Mesa Grill - I go almost every time I'm in Las Vegas, and have never been disappointed. So I was thrilled to get my hands on the cookbook, and haven't been disappointed in that either.

I've run into two problems with this cookbook. First, the recipes tend to call for some obscure ingredients - especially chiles. It's not uncommon for a recipe to call for 2 or 3 different types of fresh or dried chiles. Some are easy to come by, and some are not. We learned to make substitutions
Catherine Woodman
My real beef with Bobby Flay is that the recipes NEVER taste as good as they look00there is a real problem with the seasoning (to my palate at least) and so while the flavor combinations he comes up seem interesting and innovative, somehow they do not pop the way they seem like they would, and so while he has fabulous flair as a chef, I wouldn't get another one of his cookbooks. I have never been tot he Mesa Grill, so can't comment on that--maybe this accurately reflects the food of the restaura ...more
Vanessacylabq.com
May 23, 2012 Vanessacylabq.com rated it really liked it
I really liked this cook book. Being from the southwest I enjoy a new twist on classics like tamales. The recipes are slightly involved like the 16 spice chicken and even living in New Mexico found some of the ingredients hard to come by. I still think the recipes are easy enough to follow and are creative for those in the mood for something different. They are on the spicy side so feel free to buy mild or medium spice level. I can see some people having to order ingredients online depending on ...more
Sean
Dec 26, 2007 Sean rated it really liked it
Highly recommended in you like this cuisine. I've made three recipes so far -- Red Chile-Mustard Vinaigrette (Yummy, easy); Shrimp and Roasted Garlic Tamales (involved, good, but not nearly as good as what I had at the restaurant); Ranch-style Eggs With Chorizo and Tomato-Red Chile Sauce (easy, better than Huevos Rancheros,and a reason to buy creme fraiche).
Wendy
My 19 year old son has made so many delicious meals and dishes from this beautiful and excellent cookbook. For those who love each dish to be spicy and distinct try this book. For those who want their children to make a successful and fun dinner for the family trust me it is a great starter cookbook for your teenager.
Megan
Aug 03, 2014 Megan rated it liked it
While all the dishes sound delicious (particularly the ones with sweet potato and plantain), I forgot how into sauces Bobby Flay could be. They make the recipes more complicated, and there are a lot of little pieces for each dish. Definitely a cookbook to be used on the weekend.
Jenny
Sep 18, 2011 Jenny rated it it was amazing
After eating at Mesa Grill, I had to bring this home!!
Bridget
May 11, 2008 Bridget rated it really liked it
Beautiful cookbook! Right now I am collecting more for the autographs than actually cooking from them! :) Have autographed book and autographed picture.
Stephanie
Dec 30, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
QUESO FUNDIDO. WORTH THE PURCHASE FOR THIS RECIPE ALONE!
Michelle Fitzgerald
May 11, 2012 Michelle Fitzgerald rated it it was amazing
Bobby Flay is my hero. This book is amazing and the dishes are magic in my mouth!
Kath
Jul 18, 2012 Kath rated it it was amazing
Yummy foods to make at home..
Crissy Claiborne
Dec 22, 2007 Crissy Claiborne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Bobby Flay and his signature southwestern cuisine
Shelves: cooking
From cover to cover I love it! Filled with great recipes that offer the unique ingredients of Flay's dishes in your own kitchen.
Jeremiah
Mar 23, 2008 Jeremiah added it
Shelves: cooking
I've checked this copy out from our local library, so we'll see how it is.
Kristie Sanson
Sep 12, 2016 Kristie Sanson rated it it was amazing
I got to see Bobby Flay in person. This cook book is one of my favorites. It showcases the ingredients used and how to use the well.
Laura Chang
Apr 13, 2011 Laura Chang rated it really liked it
The red chile-honey glazed salmon with black bean sauce and jalapeno crema -- I would eat this everyday if only my husband would make it that often.
Tanya
Mar 10, 2016 Tanya rated it liked it
I was excited after visiting Mesa on a recent trip to Vegas. This book is more ambitious than I expected. We'll see how it goes once I've tried a few recipes...
Anquan Le
Mar 27, 2010 Anquan Le rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cooks.
Recommended to Anquan by: No one.
The recipes I learned from this book were exquisite.
Carrie
Apr 05, 2014 Carrie rated it really liked it
One of my go-to cookbooks.
Lisa
Apr 05, 2013 Lisa rated it liked it
many things look delicious and interesting but there was nothing that i think that i would attempt to make myself.
Caren
Aug 13, 2010 Caren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cook-books
His best cookbook.
Martha
Apr 13, 2011 Martha rated it liked it
Right now I am looking through the recipes to see which ones I will fix. I will let you know more later on.
Kim
Aug 18, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Southwest style. All the recipes were appealing for their originality - look fabulous and yummy - BUT complicated. Wish someone else would cook it all for me. :)
Shatanna
Jul 24, 2009 Shatanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Favorite Chef, Favorite Restaurant. I can't say much more then that. Ok, Beautiful photos.
Bryce D
Oct 05, 2011 Bryce D rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
Personally don't care for the man but he can cook. I really like the southwest style of cooking this book has to offer. This is a great book.
Kristine Anderson
Aug 21, 2014 Kristine Anderson rated it it was amazing
Some of Bobby Flay's classic recipes! Enjoy the spicy, fresh and citrus flavors of each recipe.
Andee
Oct 10, 2016 Andee rated it it was amazing
I love this book, I've made many awesome recipes from it.
Gary Cole
Great recipes
Ratnawali Dutta
Ratnawali Dutta rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2014
Tyree Jones
Tyree Jones rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2012
  • Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen
  • Tyler's Ultimate: Brilliant Simple Food to Make Any Time
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • Molto Gusto: Easy Italian Cooking
  • Food Network Favorites
  • Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Get Togethers: Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals
  • Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads
  • Authentic Mexican: Regional Cooking from the Heart of Mexico
  • Paula Deen Celebrates!: Best Dishes and Best Wishes for the Best Times of Your Life
  • So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week
  • Giada at Home: Family Recipes from Italy and California
  • The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast: 250 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Any Time of Day
  • Top Secret Recipes--Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, & Shakes: Creating Cool Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Drinks
Robert William Flay is an American celebrity chef, restaurateur, and television personality. He is the owner and executive chef of five restaurants: Mesa Grill and Bar Americain in New York City; Mesa Grill in Las Vegas; Mesa Grill in Bahamas (Atlantis Paradise Island, Nassau); and Bobby Flay Steak in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Flay has hosted seven Food Network television programs and appeared reg
More about Bobby Flay...