Start by marking “Blind Date” as Want to Read:
Blind Date

Blind Date

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Elisabeth Kennedy is a complicated, prickly ex-police detective recovering from a brutal attack of deadly acid - and a woman who is determined to fight back. Unable to escape the memory of her sister's murder, Elisabeth flees the stiflingly safe confines of her mother's seaside home to return to her own precarious existence in an apartment high atop a crumbling London bell ...more
Published September 1st 1998 by Viking Adult

To ask other readers questions about Blind Date, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blind Date

Ellen Keim
I thought the writing was choppy and the story line hard to follow until about half-way through. I almost didn't finish it because of that and the fact that I couldn't get a handle on the characters. There was a complicated back story for the main character, Elisabeth, which was kept rather vague and I was confused about how Joe came to be involved in her life. Also, Joe's friends were difficult to keep straight.

Once a lot of these things became clearer, I began to enjoy the book and I'm glad I
Bill Kupersmith
I've had mixed results with Fyfield's novels. When @ her best, as in Gold Digger, I rate her as one of the best novelists writing. But when she's not quite got it together, as in Without Consent or The Art of Drowning, her books are never a waste of time but neither inspiring nor worthwhile. So much depends upon her principal characters: a Di Quigley or Sarah Fortune (or both together as in Casting the First Stone) will haunt you long after you finish. Unfortunately Elizabeth Kennedy's not quite ...more
I have not read any other work by Frances Fyfield, however I did watch and enjoy the TV series of the Helen West Casebook, which was based on her Helen West books. I picked up this book because it was a selection for this month for the Kindle English Mystery Club on Goodreads.

I liked a lot about this book, the characters of Elisabeth Kennedy and Joe, were interesting in themselves and as a relationship. The villain(s) twisted relationship revealed over time was intriguing and well done. I found
I listened to the audio book version of this, and it wasn't broken up very well as it switched between characters, which was often. It was very mystery with very few clues and very British stiff upper lip.
This book is written much later than the Helen West books and is a stand-alone rather than part of a series. I found it confusing and never could form an image of the main male character, Joe. It was interesting to compare this to the two Helen West books that I just read. I have one more recent book by this author to read before I'm out of her stuff for now. I hope I like the next one more.
Convoluted and the characters difficult to get a grasp of to start with, and difficult to like too. Had a more old-fashioned feel than others of hers. I think the John Mortimer quote on the front - 'Her most ambitious book ... once you're in its grip its irresistible' is spot-on - perhaps over-ambitious? I'd need to re-read to fully appreciate all its workings-out.
This is the first book I read by this author. When starting, I thought it would be another of those romantic shallow novels that I dislike. But it wasn't. Yeah romance comes in, and it's more or less the focus of the book, but it's not the love in se, it's about the search for love, and the lack of love from people resulting in a hate big enough to kill someone...
Frances Fyfield characters are always flawed and this book was no different. Elisabeth's sister had been murdered and she hunted down the murderer and this leaves her haunted. I will never ever go on a blind date. Interesting ending.
I like a good chalenge, and this book was one. The writing was a little opaque, but not so much as to discourage the reading. I loved the strong characters.
ça ressemble un peu à un Hitchcock style "l'ombre d'un doute". ça commence donc bizarrement par rapport à un polar classique. mais plutôt pas mal.
Caley (Katie) Kleczka
This was okay. Not my usual fare, and not a must see to others she has written, but not bad.
I like Frances Fyfield. This was a good one
It was a free book. It was pretty bad.
Marie White
Marie White marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Rob marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Jhane Daguman
Jhane Daguman marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Frances marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Sandra Bašić
Sandra Bašić marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Michellehcat marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
Ai marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
StarMan marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Lora Jones
Lora Jones marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Headmaster's Wife (Gregor Demarkian, #20)
  • Pictures of Perfection (Dalziel & Pascoe, #14)
  • The Chameleon's Shadow
  • The Funeral Boat (Wesley Peterson, #4)
  • The Dead Sit Round in a Ring (DS Stella Mooney, #1)
  • Murder at Monticello (Homer Kelly, #15)
  • Othello
  • In the Morning I'll be Gone (Detective Sean Duffy, #3)
  • The Window
  • Balls: A Novel
  • Hunting A Detroit Tiger
  • The Yellow Room Conspiracy
  • Mrs. Hudson and the Spirits' Curse
  • Enid Blyton: The Biography
  • The Players Come Again (A Kate Fansler Mystery #10)
  • Royal Flush
  • The Good Journey: A Novel
  • The Bluest Blood (Amanda Pepper, #8)
Aka Frances Hegarty.

Frances Fyfield is a criminal lawyer, who lives in London and in Deal, by the sea which is her passion. She has won several awards, including the CWA Silver Dagger.
More about Frances Fyfield...
Undercurrents Perfectly Pure and Good (Sarah Fortune, #2) Blood From Stone A Question of Guilt (Helen West, #1) Shadow Play (Helen West, #4)