Start by marking “Sky Doll (Sky Doll, #1-#3)” as Want to Read:
Sky Doll (Sky Doll, #1-#3)

Sky Doll (Sky Doll #1-3)

The internationally acclaimed best-seller is now finally presented in English Meet Noa, a so-called Sky Doll; a life-like female android without rights, who exists only to serve the State's needs and desires. But when Noa meets two so-called "missionaries" who aid in her escape from her tyrannical master, all hell breaks loose for our cyborg siren as she uncovers clues tha ...more
Hardcover, Collected English Edition, 152 pages
Published November 5th 2008 by Marvel Comics (first published January 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sky Doll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sky Doll

Alice
Feb 27, 2012 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, sf
I think the thing that bothers me most about Sky Doll is that at the core, there are good ideas here. Mass religion, the intersection of religion and consumerism, how media distorts reality, how acceptable aggressive male (hetero)sexuality is.

Except it all gets lost in a beautiful mess.

The art, and environments are gorgeous (even if the women are all beautiful and well endowed, while the men are ~real characters!) -- don't get me wrong. Noa is amazingly expressive, especially with her eyes.

But t
Tara Calaby
The art in this is gorgeous - I love the use of saturated pastels throughout. The story unfolds well, but I feel like a lot of this three-issue volume was setting up, so I would really need to read more to decide whether it does enough with the sexbot trope.
Jessika
Jun 28, 2012 Jessika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Religions are fascinating; it's hard to deny that fact. And we see them all the time in the media whether we're a religious person ourselves or merely a bystander. Sky Doll is one of those pieces of media that takes religion and squishes it together with a science-fiction world to create something bizarre and intriguing.

On page one of the first issue, we find ourselves introduced to one of the main characters of the story, a Sky Doll named Noa. What are Sky Dolls you ask? They are life-like and
Josef Suatengco
Oct 26, 2013 Josef Suatengco rated it it was amazing
The copy I've read is the English translation that was published by Marvel. It contained issues 0-4, Lacrima Christi and Space Ship.

Probably one of the most bizarre settings I've ever seen and read. This concept actually caught me by surprise even though Sky Doll is the 3rd piece I've read by the team of Alessandro Barbucci and Barbara Canepa. It departed from their other works which was aimed for kids (Monster Allergy) and teens (W.I.T.C.H.) and moved into a more adult oriented graphic novel.

B
Batmark
Feb 05, 2016 Batmark rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi

On the planet Papathea, the Church of the holy mother Lodovica is all-powerful. That's because religion isn't just big business on Papathea--it's the only business. But Lodovica hasn't always been solely in charge. Her sister, Agape, was the spiritual counterpart to Lodovica's carnal side. But when Agape's disciples began to outnumber Lodovica's, Lodovica had Agape desanctified, effectively driving Agape and her followers underground as heretics.

Years late
Howl
Sep 25, 2012 Howl rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful, beautiful comic; Alessandro Barbucci's artwork is incredible. The characters are spectacularly expressive, the backgrounds are detailed, the colors are vibrant without being garish. I have no complaints whatsoever in this regard, except that the Marvel edition, from what I know, is scaled down from the original, which I can't see as being a good choice for any reason (maybe it is. But I don't think so). I do not want to squint to appreciate the magnificence. Anyways.

I think
The Fza
May 01, 2016 The Fza rated it liked it
Surprisingly this was a really goodread, though I think some of it might have lost a little in translation.

I didn't know anything about this book until I meet a pretty girl at a bar, true story, and we started talking comics (I but you're envious). We started talking favorite recent comics and this was her's.

It's got a lot of social commentary, really vibrant art and a larger story/mystery waiting to be solved.

I'd recommend it to any SF comic fan looking for something a little different. While
Evelina
Jul 16, 2014 Evelina rated it liked it
I liked the motifs that were the focus of this sci-fi graphic novel, such as totalitarian religious government and influence of media on reality. Art is also pretty awesome, curious, non-typical, cartoon-like and polished. I liked Sky Doll's personality. However, the storyline is occasionally too predictable or fast paced; if that is not the case, it becomes confusing to follow, punchlines tend to come off as weak since the reader had already guessed what was coming. To sum up: visually gorgeous ...more
Mike
Aug 19, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it
Refreshingly great art and weird, fast-moving story. A pleasure to read, and I find myself actually looking forward to what comes next in the lives of these imperfect, pretty real characters (and their wildly unreal- tho easily understandable - universe). The art is rather nouveau-Disney, so when I read in the afterword that the creators have worked *for* Disney I was amused and glad to see the Corporation doesn't entirely poison creativity like this.
Nina
Feb 06, 2011 Nina rated it it was ok
I didn’t know what to expect from this graphic novel. I don’t really like science fiction, but after looking at the drawings I completely am loving it so far. The drawings of this novel are beautiful. They are cartoony in a way, very lively and shiny. I thought the story was fun, a bit weird at the beginning, but it grew on me. I thought the Sky Doll was so sweet and I felt sorry for her that she didn’t was a human. It ended with a cliff-hanger, so I’m glad I had book 2 in my possession.

Roxanne
Feb 28, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
One of the most beautifully illustrated graphic novels, it also depicts serious problems we face today, such as following faith blindly and commercialized religion and its affects on politics, along with the issue of society's view of women. The artwork is made even more lovely with its vivid color schemes and tender details by the power the story holds in rendering a corrupt but amazing universe one could get lost in.
Kayla
Aug 28, 2011 Kayla rated it liked it
The story was incredibly underwhelming; the most generic sci fi story you can imagine -robots, totalarian religious government, in space. Fine. That said, this book proves comics are a visual medium first, since Sky Doll is so gorgeous you won't care about the (mediocre) plot. Treat this like an art book, and you'll enjoy this a great deal more.
Line Skori
Apr 27, 2013 Line Skori rated it really liked it
I love the colours of this graphic novels. And the art work is really special. Which is the reason I picked up these books.
They are easy read, since every volume is only on about 50 pages each, as a cartoon.

This was my first science fiction graphic novel. And I will definitly check out more by these people.
The art is so fresh and cool :D
Kenisha
Jan 30, 2012 Kenisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I feel a little lost as to what is going on. Perhaps that can be forgiven as it is the beginning of the series. I mainly checked this out for the lush colors and beautiful art. I don't feel let down, in that regard.
J.T. Whitesell
May 06, 2009 J.T. Whitesell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A favorite comic of all time for me. It's rates for Mature Content as it should be and I really wish this story would continue on forever. I don't own this HD version (I have each comic individually), but I would definitely buy this one too in hopes that the sales will make Canepa write more.
yoli
May 24, 2009 yoli rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2009
Interesting story line, very beautiful art, but it raises many more questions than it answers. I'm also not sure about its hyper-sexualization and if it's entirely necessary for the critique the text is trying to make.
Krystal
Feb 25, 2015 Krystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
A little hard to follow at first because it throws you in the middle of all the conflict. As things start to solidify, a pretty solid story ventures forth. I really need to find the next issues though...
Brayanlvmo
Jan 04, 2013 Brayanlvmo rated it it was amazing
muy bueno, te pone a pensar de manera amena la religion con un ser que supuestamente no tiene alma...lo recomiendo
Alexandrea
The Art is great ... the story, sigh, it's the Madonna/Whore dichotomy on a cyber-punkish alien planet. yawn! I don't think I will bother with the rest.
Sara
Jan 19, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
This series, while slightly lacking in the writing department, more than makes up for shortcomings with lush, full-color art. Worth it for the visuals alone.
Vicki
Sep 15, 2015 Vicki rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-and-comics
Love the art, but something about the story didn't grab me :S Still glad I own it tho, just to drool over the pretties :)
K.
Jun 08, 2013 K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, the art, storytelling and pacing of this story is LUSCIOUS. I eagerly look forward to finishing the collection of three issues and getting the rest of it!
Milana Adamov
Milana Adamov rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2014
Marina
Marina rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Lia
Lia rated it really liked it
May 17, 2012
Amy Logue
Amy Logue rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2015
Discfan2
Discfan2 rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2013
Aimee
Aimee rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Maramari
Maramari rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2013
Snuffaluffagus .
Snuffaluffagus . rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2013
  • Popgun, Vol. 1
  • Chew: The Omnivore Edition, Vol. 2
  • Mass Effect: Incursion
  • Wet Moon Volume 5: Where All Stars Fail to Burn
  • Sillage: J.VJ,..\_ (Sillage #5)
  • Lackadaisy: Volume #1
  • Ojo
  • The Once and Future Destroyer (Glory, #1)
  • House of Mystery, Volume 3: The Space Between
  • Shadoweyes, Volume One (Shadoweyes, #1)
  • Blood: A Tale
  • Mass Effect: Evolution
  • Saturn Apartments, Vol. 2 (Saturn Apartments #2)
  • New York (Ekhö Monde Miroir, #1)
  • Razor Wire Pubic Hair
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories (B.P.R.D., #2)
  • Scarlet (Dead World, #2)
  • Koko Be Good
He is an Italian artist, most famous for numerous Donald Duck comics and Sky Doll.
More about Alessandro Barbucci...

Sky Doll (4 books)
  • Sky Doll: Die Gelbe Stadt (Sky Doll, #1)
  • Sky Doll: Aqua (Sky Doll, #2)
  • Sky Doll: La Ville Blanche (Sky Doll, #3)
  • Sky Doll: Sudra (Sky Doll, #4)