Start by marking “Night People” as Want to Read:
Night People

Night People

The author of Wild at Heart and The Wild Life of Sailor and Lula writes of what Tennessee Williams called “something wild in the country/that only the night people know.” He draws his characters from the shadows of the Deep South, where they confront the chaotic horror of the United States at the end of the twentieth century.
Published January 18th 1994 by Grove Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Night People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night People

Brent Legault
Apr 02, 2008 Brent Legault rated it liked it
This has all of the Barry Gifford hallmarks: plenty of pepper-hot dialogue, plenty of extravagant eccentrics, plenty of outree exoticism. Sometimes it's a bit too cute for my taste (for example, the outlandish character names: Cutie Early, Sister Dilys Salt, DuMont 'Du-Du' Dupree, Easy Earl, Boca Demente, ad vomitum) but it made me crave strange things, like Crown Royal and milk. And any novel that can worm its way into my fundament like that isn't all awful.
Eddie Villanueva
Jan 21, 2016 Eddie Villanueva rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Very fun little book by sometime David Lynch collaborator, Barry Gifford. It tells interconnected stories of "bad" stuff happening in the American South during the early 90's. I enjoyed it!
Suzanne Lagrande
Sep 09, 2014 Suzanne Lagrande rated it really liked it
The Importance of Naming

Here’s the opening of Night People by Barry Gifford:“Big Betty Stalcup kissed Miss Cutie Early on the right earlobe as Cutie drove, tickling her, causing her to swerve the black Dodge Monaco toward the right as she scratched her head.”
What’s in a name? Page after page of Night People, I marvelled at the names Barry Gifford came up for characters and places. Like the story he told, the names were over the top and at the same time a perfect distillation of each character. N
Jodi Sh.
Mar 01, 2014 Jodi Sh. rated it it was ok
Shelves: dark
Gifford was recommended because of my love of Harry Crews, as if Crews was a mere shadow of this guy. I'm not buying that. Harry Crews is in a class by himself and incredibly underappreciated, far and above anything Barry Gifford, or almost anyone else of this southern creepy character genre can write.

Night People, meanders through vignettes and silhouettes of tangentially connected folks, each and every one a certified "character" with a wacky Southern character name. There's Althea & Zelmo
Joseph plasan
Sep 26, 2013 Joseph plasan rated it did not like it
I hate to be a jerk, but since Barry Gifford appears to be somewhat successful I don't mind saying this is the STUPIDEST f***ing thing I have read in a long time. This book did NOT deserve publication. I paid $4 for this and all I got was a childish assault on my patience---The author just took a massive dump on a page---
Some things should not be published
Aug 06, 2013 David rated it liked it
More Southern gothic comic books without the illustrations...

"Chick reminds me of that cafe au lait gal was in C Block, Pearline Nail. You remember her?"

"Oh, yeah, sure do. She the one razored up Rupee Moreno when Rupee said a Baptist just someone don't favor lynchin' on Sunday."
Jeff Swesky
Apr 13, 2016 Jeff Swesky rated it it was ok
I do enjoy Gifford's Sailor and Lula stories, but I just couldn't get into this book. I found the characters flat, uninteresting (if not cliche',) and lacking emotion. And I found the plot to be disjointed. Gifford had lost my attention before the end of the first novella, I'm afraid.
Bruno Cruz
Nov 14, 2012 Bruno Cruz rated it liked it
I am not sure what I just read. Only that the four parts were connected and showed lives of people not in the normal sense of things. Other than that it is a thinker.
Dec 03, 2010 Mel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I may have liked this book better the first time but I don't even remember reading it the first time. It is pretty good but not as good as his other books.
Richard Jespers
Jan 31, 2015 Richard Jespers rated it really liked it
Nice structure. Four interrelated novellas a la Winesberg, Ohio (Sherwood Anderson). Interesting characters and events in the deep South.
Jun 26, 2008 mia rated it liked it
Shelves: fic-lit
i wanted to give this more stars, i think. why can't we give half stars? anyway, it was very intriguing. i loved the irony in all of the characters names.
Robert rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Intortetor rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
John rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2011
Deathmetalroze rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2008
Neil rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2009
Taylor rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2012
Georgia rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2007
Rob Blankenship
Rob Blankenship rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2010
Tiago rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2008
Sergio D'Oliveira
Sergio D'Oliveira rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2015
Miroslav Dimitrov
Miroslav Dimitrov rated it it was ok
Dec 28, 2012
Dieaugentunweh rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Alice rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2013
Michael rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2012
Deludo rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2014
Sye rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2014
LillePepa rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2012
Don rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2012
Jasna Jasna
Jasna Jasna rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2012
  • Train
  • Hungry Ghost
  • Three by Cain: Serenade/Love's Lovely Counterfeit/The Butterfly
  • With Deer
  • Slayground (Parker, #14)
  • G.I. Bones (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom #6)
  • Inside Out: Reflections on a life so far
  • Dreaming Pachinko
  • No Beast So Fierce
Barry Gifford is an American author, poet, and screenwriter known for his distinctive mix of American landscapes and film noir- and Beat Generation-influenced literary madness.

He is described by Patrick Beach as being "like if John Updike had an evil twin that grew up on the wrong side of the tracks and wrote funny..."He is best known for his series of novels about Sailor and Lula, two sex-driven,
More about Barry Gifford...