Start by marking “Alphabears: An ABC Book” as Want to Read:
Alphabears: An ABC Book

Kathleen Hague

Alphabears: An ABC Book

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  98 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews

In Alphabears, twenty six huggable teddies help teach children the letters of the alphabet:

A is for Amanda, a good teddy bear

Who carries sweet apples everywhere.

Michael Hague's warm, detailed paintings complement Kathleen Hague's happy, rhyming texts. Even the youngest of readers will treasure and learn from these two charming concept books.

Published May 1st 1984 by Holt McDougal (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Alphabears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alphabears

Eva Leger
Aug 13, 2011 Eva Leger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
For an ABC book this stands out IMO. Most of the time the ABC books we've read have really only been for babies - babies who don't know their ABC's.
There's a BookList blurb on the back that mentions this being for "all ages" and I agree. It was enjoyable even for me and I've known my ABC's for quite some time now.
I also agree that most bear collectors would find this a nice addition to any collection.
Some of the names the Hague's came up with are different also, they didn't just use the most com
Laura Verret
In Alphabears we meet a host of different bears – twenty-six to be exact! – whose names each start with a different letter of the alphabet. That’s right – even Quimbly makes an appearance! (Although, the bear at X remains nameless and merely marks his place with the letter.)

The bears are a rather ragtag bunch and all have an old fashioned hum-tiddley-dum feel abou them. Most of them are quite cute, but a few… well, let’s say that a few look as though they’ve been wrung through with the wash a fe
Heather
Aug 14, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This alphabet book has a different strategy than the others I've looked at so far--each page has a little rhyme about a teddy bear whose name starts with that letter. The illustrations are highly detailed and look like a combination of line drawings with heavy water color. Rhyming seems to be a common thing in alphabet books, but I think this one would keep kids coming back due to the added interest of the characters with very distinct personalities. X is kind of a cop out, though ("X is the way ...more
Nancy
Nov 12, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This ABC book represents the alphabet by giving teddy bears names that correspond with the different letters. Normally this kind of book doesn’t impress me—it’s pretty easy to come up with 26 names. However, the lovely watercolor illustrations make up for it—also, the antics of the teddy bears are really cute.
Jordan Lombard
My most favorite children's book in the entire world. I've read this book so many times I can't count. My Dad read it to me so many times he had it memorized.

The words are beautiful, and the illustrations are just out of this world gorgeous!
Alicia
Jun 26, 2009 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, abc
This is such a cute little book that incorporates alphabet letters and adorable bears. I especially like that they don't try to force letter "X" to work the way the other letters do. Nakyla really likes all the bears.
Rachel
Jun 12, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I have the copy of this book that Great Aunt Peggy gave my mom for her baby shower, and I read it to Charlie. So this book means a lot to me... lovely pictures and cute rhymes to go through the alphabet.
Catherine Woodman
We have a dozen alphabet books, and while as a grown up I was not impressed--the pictures are quite cute, and the kids love it--the cover wear speaks for itself.
Paul  Hankins
Another classic ABC book for our unit on Categorization and Classification in Room 407. This one is from the mid-80s.
Sally
Nov 20, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We read this book into tatters when my older kids were younger. Love Hague's illustrations.
Teri
Jan 30, 2010 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Teri by: Sally
Sweet book with darling illustrations. I love the rhymes also. So cute! Thank-you Sally.
Tricia
viv enjoyed the different bears, one for each letter of the alphabet.
Robin
Jun 23, 2010 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must for any little kiddo's bookshelf!
Sally
Apr 18, 2010 Sally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the pictures! Love the rhymes!
Beth
Jun 11, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All letters have names except x.
MJ
Nov 16, 2015 MJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute.
Natasha Anne
Natasha Anne rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
Samantha Goedeke
Samantha Goedeke rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Hannah
Hannah added it
Jul 07, 2016
Ekta Ahuja
Ekta Ahuja marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Jessica Eyao
Jessica Eyao marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Brenda
Brenda rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
May 20, 2016
Virginia Burnham
Virginia Burnham rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Kendra
Kendra rated it it was ok
May 02, 2016
Stephanie Locascio
Stephanie Locascio marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016