Spoke

Spoke

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  3 reviews
"send SPOKE around again" (H Weiner)
Published October 28th 1984 by Sun and Moon Press (first published October 1984)

Paul Klinger
Holy shit. Someone actually did not like this book and instead recommended James Merrill. Keanu Reeves says "Whoa." I mean James Merrill? Really? I mean, really?

Instead of saying that, just say: sorry, didn't want to follow the typography. It was too much for me to take on, so I went over to the quiet side of town and lit some candles and read one of the whitest kids you will ever know. Now, I'm going to go home and write a poem about my grandmother. Peace.

Love to Hannah. Down with Merrill.
Mitch
Always my favorite Hannah Weiner book, loaded with funny juxtapositions, constantly interrupting itself with more layers of clairavoyant observations. Hannah really was psychic, but she couldn't control it. There was a constant flow of thought crowding up her mind. On many occasions, I experienced her ability in unsettling ways. She would suddenly blurt out what I was thinking, in almost perfect quotation marks. So her work attempts to track this endlessness of thoughts; her thoughts, and those...more
Anthony
automatic writing copied down by the author from visions of text on her forehead... i wanted to like this book because of the strangeness of its backstory, but weiner's poetry, wherever it comes from, just doesn't excite me very much. if you are looking for rewarding poetic clairvoyance i recommend merrill's "the changing light at sandover".
bekah
bekah marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Brenna York
Brenna York marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Blaine
Blaine added it
Nov 10, 2013
Jerrod
Jerrod marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2013
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2010
Thom
Thom added it
Jun 23, 2007
Hannah Weiner's Open House The Fast Clairvoyant Journal We Speak Silent Code Poems