Start by marking “Self-Management for Actors: Getting Down to (Show) Business” as Want to Read:
Self-Management for Actors: Getting Down to (Show) Business

Self-Management for Actors: Getting Down to (Show) Business

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  86 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
For beginners or polished pros. Actors need representation: they need managers to help guide them through the process of becoming working actors. Or do they? Self-Management for Actors guides actors through the process of taking control of the business side of their careers. There is no secret method, no password entry system to the Working Actor's Club. What does exist is ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Cricket Feet Publishing (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Self-Management for Actors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Self-Management for Actors

Caity
Oct 06, 2014 Caity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any actors who want to take their careers into their own hands!
Great book for actors of all levels in the industry. It changed how I viewed being type cast and has helped me in so many ways, not only to be more efficient with my time and marketing, but to also know things such as the proper way to do a current resume and cover letter, tricks to stand out, and it also taught me the different levels in billing titles (featured vs principal, etc) and why you must know that. Learning the tiers of the business side helps me with focusing and setting goals, and I ...more
Anna
Apr 08, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
Truly a must-read for any aspiring actor in any market (though it is certainly tailored to the big move to LA). New actors, disenchanted actors, actors that feel a bit "stuck" in their career-- this is a wonderfully written, honest, and approachable collection of advice to get you in charge of your own career. Plus, Bonnie is infinitely kind and authentic, and her "ninja" community is definitely one you want to be a part of.
Bostin
Mar 19, 2015 Bostin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: actors
Shelves: theatre-acting
Great book to understand the business of acting, especially in Hollywood. Bonnie is very active and her website and her podcast keep the content fresh and the conversation moving forward.
Highly Recommend this!

I read the original years back when I was in LA. Recently picked up the fourth edition on my kindle and it's fantastic.
Genevieve Levin
Feb 10, 2012 Genevieve Levin rated it really liked it
I don't want to be unfair to this book. If I'd read it five years ago, when I first arrived in LA, I think it would have been tremendously useful! If you are relatively new to the business, I would certainly recommend it. Where I am now, there wasn't much in this book that I haven't already come across on my own or learned about from other sources. (Dallas Travers's The Tao of Show Business - read it!)

I do definitely recommend checking out Bonnie's blog; the archives are ludicrously huge and pac
Justin
Mar 21, 2012 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: acting
Excellent book! For me, I don't see this as a cover-to-cover read, although the first several chapters should probably be read in order. After a certain point, though, I feel the rest of the material is best absorbed on an as-needed basis, and that's how I treated it after reading the first third or so. Because of that, I admittedly didn't finish reading the entire book, but I did go through all the chapters that I felt were relevant to me at this time, and I plan on reviewing the rest when the ...more
Lenka
Sep 30, 2013 Lenka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful book that has taught me so much about the showbusiness in the USA and I keep recommending it to all actors I meet (no matter the country they work and live in). It's one of those books you place bookmarks and post-it notes in and keep coming back to it as you progress in your career, because it always teaches you something. I believe actors at any level of their career can find helpful information, tips and tools in this book.

I can't wait to read the new edition - http://www.indiego
Zach
Dec 31, 2014 Zach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bonnie is easily one of the nicest people in the business. She works non-stop, and encourages others to do the same. She really seems to have everyone's best interest at heart, and gives you the tools to push forward in your career with virtually no fear.
Krystelle
Mar 16, 2012 Krystelle rated it really liked it
Great resource for newer actors or people who need to some hints on how to market themselves and manage their own careers as an actor.
Liz

Sumit Kumar
Jan 09, 2013 Sumit Kumar marked it as to-read
it was a nice
David Piggott
David Piggott rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Johnnie
Johnnie marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Abb
Abb marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Ashlyn
Ashlyn is currently reading it
May 15, 2016
Hannah
Hannah is currently reading it
May 15, 2016
Denise Ivanoff
Denise Ivanoff rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Richard Wayne
Richard Wayne is currently reading it
May 04, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Haili Wells
Haili Wells rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
L C
L C marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Adrian
Adrian marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Tony Jacobsen
Tony Jacobsen rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Magdalena
Magdalena rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Dísa
Dísa marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Jesse Stoddard
Jesse Stoddard marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Russell
Russell marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Castle Richard
Castle Richard marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016