Start by marking “The Stupids Step Out (The Stupids, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Stupids Step Out (The Stupids, #1)

The Stupids Step Out (The Stupids #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  403 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The Stupids and their dog, Kitty, have a fun-filled day doing ridiculous things.
Published April 17th 1974 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Stupids Step Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stupids Step Out

Rachel
Sep 29, 2007 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: stupids like me
Shelves: fiction
In recent years, I found out that my mom totally hated this book. But she did a really good job of keep that secret! Sorry I made you read it so much, Mom.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
"Calling all Stupids!" Stanley shouted.
Mrs. Stupid, Buster Stupid, Petunia Stupid, and the Stupid's wonderful dog Kitty all crawled out from under the rug.
"The Stupids are stepping out today," said Stanley
. . .
"Let's go upstairs and get ready," said Mrs. Stupid
The two Stupid children climbed onto the banister.
"Up we go!" squealed Petunia.
They did not move. They wondered why.

...........................
Above is just a taste of this Stupid adventure. While I can't rate it 5 stars and call it "Amaz
Josiah
This is a very quirky, unusual book, but a good introductory volume to a funny series of stories by Harry Allard. I've seen the movie based on these books (starring Tom Arnold, Bug Hall, et el), and found it interesting to note the differences and similarites between the movie and book. The Stupids Step Out will likely hold its greatest appeal for very young early readers, especially boys, as is the case with these stories when they are made a part of the plot in Katherine Paterson's novel, The ...more
Sara
Apr 27, 2007 Sara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all y'all
When I first read this book the radical puns blew my tiny mind. It was right around the time when my mom and dad bought a new washer and drier. Well, needless to say, the pun about calling George Washington "General George Washing Machine" that I learned from this text was put to use in fine form. I got permission from my mom to use some white sticker labels,on which I wrote "Hello, My name is General George Washing Machine" and then I stuck them across the from of our new appliance. Suh-weet.
Ashleigh
Calling all stupids! Stanley Q. Stupid had an idea, the stupids were stepping out today. Before they step out they would need some washing. Petunia asked her mother why there was not any water in the bath? Her mother responds, "there is no water because our clothes will get wet". On this day out the stupids venture to their grandparents, eat mashed potato sundaes, and learn not to stare at others- whom are really themselves.

Stupids step out is a book to make you giggle, the story seems perfectl
Rachael Humphries
First off, I can see why this book would be considered a banned book- the name. The name of the book being 'The Stupids'. Right away I would only just imagine what elementary school kids comments would be about the title. As a teacher I would hope that they don't start calling their peers stupid because of the book. One part in the book it says "the two stupid children" which to me could imply something else by the eyes of a young reader. Besides the title and the name of the family being the St ...more
Tommy Novak
I always loved the illustrations of James Marshall, and Harry Allard's story about a very "stupid" family is actually cleverly written. The characters are in the same silly vein as "Amelia Bedilia" in that they take things literally, they do things backwards (such as naming their dog "Kitty"), and they are just silly. I recently learned that this particular book on on the list of Banned Books because it "encourages kids to disobey parents and promotes calling people stupid." It didn't have that ...more
Mrs Bond
This is a stupid book; I feel "stupider" for having read it. I am convinced that my students would find it much easier to channel the Stupid within after reading this book. Recommended for those not easily offended by stupid words or actions.
Kendall
OMG. I know, I'm supposed to hate these books because they're "mean".
These books are so hilarious...I was crying as I read them again. I shared them with a few sixth graders who also laughed their tails off. So funny.
Carol Royce Owen
Too many good books out there to waste a child's time with this one. It's silly, but most kids probably won't get the jokes unless they are pointed out.
Liz
Aug 05, 2008 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: children
The whole Stupids series is divine comedy!
Nance
I found these books back in the early 80's and read them to my kids often. We laughed over them a lot. It even became a joke when one of us did something stupid in public; The Ttupids go to dinner, or the Stupids do WalMart. My kids are now reading them to their kids.
Sarah Stumphf
Again, this book was like reading a madlibs that my 10 year old filled out, but the three year old really enjoyed it at bedtime.
Kaethe
The Stupids are such fun; the purest, stupidist fun.
Debbie
Considering the research that says that the self-efficacy of Native children is negatively impacted when seeing stereotypical images of American Indians, I cannot in good conscience recommend this book.

In STUPIDS STEP OUT, the dog is shown in a headdress:

Margaret
12/4/12 ** Okay...it had been a stressful day at school today, so I took 5 minutes at dismissal for some light-hearted, un-standards-related minutes for a nonsense read aloud. My fourth graders and I enjoyed some great groans together. The Stupids Step Out was the perfect antidote to a difficult math lesson. :)
Randie
It is possible that I was unable to enjoy the book due to the name of the family. I realize that this is an "older" book but I still find it inappropriate and not humorous or playful.

I am a fan of James Marshall and his illustrations are fun and silly, not degrading and derogatory like the text.
Samantha
The Stupid family takes a day trip. Each page of text is mirrored by an illustration that shows the Stupid family doing what they do best. Great funny read aloud. Kids love pointing out the many ways the Stupids get things wrong.

Readalikes: Amelia Bedelia series, Dav Pilkey books
Rebekah Jones
The book was funny but it did have the word stupid in it a lot. I feel like it could almost teach other children to make fun of people who look different than themselves because the Stupid family makes fun of themselves when they look into the mirror.
Teresa
It was ok. I gave it 3 stars because it did make my son laugh a few times. He would comment on how some of the things they did were 'silly' rather than 'stupid.' I'd have to agree with him on that. Wearing a clown costume to bed is more silly than dumb.
Amanda Fack
The Stupids are a hilarious family mostly because they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. But the fun is not so much mean-spirited as it is ironic and goofy. The illustrations play a large role in the humor. Excellent for the easily bored.
Sam
So funny. My friend and I loved this series and used to go to the library and read them on our lunch break. We both became avid readers and writers. Great introduction to reading and humor for kids!
Maura
The Stupids are pretty stupid. But it does serve as a lesson for social acceptability and I think a lot of kids would get a kick at just how absurd the Stupids are.
Kim
The Stupids visit Gradfather and Grandmother Stupid then enjoy mashed potato sundaes with butterscotch before returning home.

themes: family, silliness
Ame
I see nothing stupid about having a dog named Kitty, or that Mr. Stupid dons his socks on his ears. Nothing stupid at all. Charming and silly, maybe.
Cinthia
Very stupid book about a family going on an outing for the day.

Read this book because it had been black listed and wanted to see why.
Heidi
One the Tice family grew up with. I loved having Kiersten read it. She had the perfect voices for the Stupid Family Antics.
Kim B.
The Stupids is an ok book. i can see where young children would find them funny. Not sure I want my own kids reading them.
Heather
I remember this one because my dad, an elementary school teacher, dressed as General George Washingmachine for Halloween.
the Reeds
silly and harmless. The kids got a chuckle and I had flashbacks of The Yellow Submarine (The Beatles).
  • Halloween ABC
  • Mommy Laid An Egg: Or, Where Do Babies Come From?
  • Red Riding Hood
  • Heather Has Two Mommies
  • The Joy of Gay Sex
  • What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents and Daughters
  • 1000 Tattoos
  • Daddy's Roommate
  • It's Perfectly Normal: Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health (The Family Library)
  • Traction Man Is Here!
  • Crazy Lady!
  • Could Be Worse!
  • The Drowning of Stephan Jones
  • Hip and Hop, Don't Stop!
  • The Grey Lady and the Strawberry Snatcher
  • Purple, Green and Yellow
  • A Birthday for Frances
  • The House on East 88th Street
Miss Nelson Is Missing! (Miss Nelson, #1) Miss Nelson Is Back (Miss Nelson, #2) Miss Nelson Has a Field Day (Miss Nelson, #3) The Stupids Die (The Stupids, #3) The Stupids Have a Ball (The Stupids, #2)