Start by marking “Waking Raphael” as Want to Read:
Waking Raphael

Waking Raphael

2.94 of 5 stars 2.94  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  33 reviews
In this title, a crime breaks the silence surrounding a community in Urbino and sparks off a series of events with dangerous consequences.
Published January 1st 2003 by George Weidenfeld & Nicholson

To ask other readers questions about Waking Raphael, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waking Raphael

Scribble Orca
This is not a book for Da Vinci fans. But if you like a more leisurely journey of discovery, with Italian art, history, and a good rendition of the twisted interplay between village and state politics, as the focus, as seen through the eyes of a reluctant heroine, you will find this book entertaining.
D.G. Torrens
This is a great book if you are into art (which I am) although it is a very hard book to follow, The painting Muta is being restored in Italy, the whole story is about the Mute in the picture, fantastically written, a great history lesson also. It flips to the past and then back to the present whilst telling the story. Very educational and intelligent read. I would recommend this wonderful book
Tia Mushka
good art history/history novel, I love books about Italy...
Tiffany
enjoyed it for the mystery.
Elsje
Zo'n boek dat je leest als je niets anders in de buurt hebt, dat is Waking Raphael van Leslie Forbes.

Het verhaal
De Britse restaurator Charlotte is in het Italiaanse Urbino om te werken aan La Muta, een werk van de 16e eeuwse schilder Raphael. Op de dag dat het werk eindelijk aan het publiek tentoongesteld zal gaan worden, wordt het door een van de schoonmaaksters van het museum ernstig beschadigd. Deze schoonmaakster is een doofstomme vrouw die in de ruïnes van een in de Tweede Wereldoorlog verw
Misha
BookList: Forbes' latest departs from India, the setting of her previous literary thrillers--Bombay Ice (1998) and Fish, Blood and Bone (2001)--and moves to idyllic Urbino, Italy, birthplace of Renaissance painter Raphael. Deftly exploring connections between art, religion, and politics, Forbes layers her mystery with lush imagery and palpable human drama. When the Raphael painting that she is commissioned to work on is attacked, Charlotte Penton, a prim English divorcee and art restorer, finds ...more
Tuck
leslie forbes rocked my world with "bombay ice" , so i followed with this completely different novel set in modern italy, but delves into deep history and also aftermath of fascism. about art, slow food, love, sex, guilt.

Been busy building an opac, so just making placeholders for books I’ve read in march and april 2014. This is the opac though.
Julie Hulten
Pentimento and chiaroscuro explain the way this story builds, as an art restorer 'repairs' a portrait by Raphael in his hometown of Urbino. When the artists begins to explore past events of this town, the past converges with the present. I found myself impatient with the 'forward motion' of events, or seeming lack thereof, until I considered the art concepts, then it made more sense.
Louise
a very messy novel with characters who do not have spine
Amanda
The one good thing about the success of that Dan Brown tripe, is that it opened the gates to a bevy of art history/religious icon/antique text mysteries. These books have little nutritional value, but at least they can be considered pretentious mind candy. This is my same review for Brotherhood of the Holy Shroud & The Rule of Four
Deb
This has to be right up there with one of the worst books I've ever read. The only reason I bothered to finish it was because I wanted to have some idea of what the book was about!! One of the reviews on the book was that the book was like a painting...the author laying brushstrokes throughout the book so beautifully that the reader didn't have the full picture until the last few pages of the book. Well, that was certainly true, except for the "beautifully" part. What a waste of time!
Marin
Mar 21, 2010 Marin rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marin by: starkmar@gmail.com
This book is about an English woman who goes to Italy to restore a painting by Rafael. After the project is finished the painting is "attacked" and seen to "bleed". The back story has to do with a mystery of something terrible that happened in a nearby town. Overall I didn't really like this book. It was hard to get into and the characters weren't the most engaging. The "secret" is finally revealed, but was a disappointing ending.
Megan
Thank God that's over with!
Pat
Having just spent a week in Italy I found this book to be very nostalgic. Accurate in descriptions of local towns, the people, the daily life, it really evokes the sensual, comic and tragic life of Italians. Well written and a magnetic read.
Denise
I got to just over 200 pages and gave up. The plot was just too convoluted for me. Maybe I'm just not smart enough? The plot has all the stuff I usually love: takes place in Italy, there's a mysterious past the townspeople are hiding, and Renaissance art is heavily discussed. But, ugh! I just didn't care.
Diana
Very interesting and enjoyable read. The main characters were well drawn and believable and the murkiness of the past secrets and present politics completely inpenetrable. I will have to re-read much to understand who was who and why etc. as it didn't come clear at the end, but I won't mind.
Melinda
It was a complex plot,hard to keep sense of when you can only read a few pages a night. It was hard to care about the characters. There seemed to be a deep symbolism implied, but I just wasn't able to grasp it. Maybe I just wasn't up to the task of this book, or maybe it wasn't a great book.
Allie
I thuroughly enjoyed this book and I could never quite predict what was coming next. It is written in brittish english though, so some of the phrasing and words were unfarmilliar and sounded rather stange, but overall it was very good, and I would recommend it.
Sue
Takes place in the city of Urbino, Italy involving a painting of Raphael's called La Muta (The Mute Woman). Involves possible miracles, the Vatican, war crimes & a cast of nefarious characters hiding in the shadows. Enjoyable but not scintillating.
oOSarahOo ☼Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans☼
Set in Italy in the 1990's, this book is supposed to be a "political thriller and an examination of our capacity for restoration" but I found it boring and couldn't get past the first 10 chapters.
R.J.
I wanted to like this, it had all the trappings of a good read--art, history, Italy.. But I found the narrative confusing, salient points missing and pertinent scenes not adequately described.
Marvin
Another story of an Englishwoman working in an Italian city to restore a Renaissance painting & getting involved in a local mystery. The story is more complicated than necessary.
Regina
Don't bother. I read 200 of 400 pages and quit. After 200 pages, I had not gotten much more plot/information than what was in the first 5 pages.
Maria
I got about 20 pages in and realized that I had no desire to read the rest. It could be a great book, but I was "meh" on it, so I don't really know.
Bonnie Gayle
I gave this book about 40 pages, and I just wasn't into it. Maybe another time I would love it, but I wasn't feeling it.
Nancy
Didn't love it. Maybe didn't even finish it, I'm not sure. that's how memorable it was
Leah
Unlike her earlier books which did nothing for me, Waking Raphael is really good.
Iris
Rather strange. Tends to wander. Characters not well enough developed.
Kristine
Nope. Don't like it. It's going into the "give away" pile.
Diana
Huge Da Vinci code-ish potential but totally failed to deliver.
  • Take It or Leave It
  • Dukla
  • Writing Los Angeles: a Literary Anthology
  • The Stories of Jane Gardam
  • A Visit to Don Otavio
  • Mr. Bones: Twenty Stories
  • Waiting for the Electricity
  • In the Beginning Was the Sea
  • The Ghost Runner (Makana, #3)
  • Naissance d'un pont
  • Mani: Travels in the Southern Peloponnese
  • Ecstatic Cahoots: Fifty Short Stories
  • With the Animals
  • Patrick Leigh Fermor: An Adventure
"After dropping out of England's Royal College of Art without the Masters in Film and Design she had dropped out of studying physics and politics in Canada to get, Forbes won a talent contest at Vogue, where she worked as a designer until she couldn't stand fashion any more. She then became a designer for BBC-TV (once constructing a life-size working robot out of pasta) and the author of award-win ...more
More about Leslie Forbes...
Bombay Ice Fish, Blood and Bone A Table in Provence: Classic Recipes from the South of France A Table in Tuscany - Classic Recipes from the Heart of Italy Remarkable Feasts