Revolution in The Valley: The Insanely Great Story of How the Mac Was Made

Revolution in The Valley: The Insanely Great Story of How the Mac Was Made

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  440 ratings  ·  38 reviews
There was a time, not too long ago, when the typewriter and notebook ruled, and the computer as an everyday tool was simply a vision. Revolution in the Valley traces this vision back to its earliest roots: the hallways and backrooms of Apple, where the groundbreaking Macintosh computer was born. The book traces the development of the Macintosh, from its inception as an und...more
Published December 16th 2004 by O'Reilly Media (first published December 6th 2004)

Steve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonHackers by Steven LevyGhost in the Wires by Kevin D. MitnickThe Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford StolliWoz by Steve Wozniak
Silicon Valley
61st out of 200 books — 215 voters
Peopleware by Tom DeMarcoThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntThe Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. NormanThe Mythical Man Month by Frederick P. Brooks Jr.Don't Make Me Think by Steve Krug
Fog Creek Software Management Training Program
27th out of 115 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Eric Shamow
Very nearly a five star review for this one, and I'd say that if you haven't read any of the stories on the brilliant folklore.org, you should add a star. I was depressed to discover while reading this book that I'd made my way through more of folklore.org than I'd thought while casually browsing - a visit over there is as bad as a night-long Wikipedia or TVTropes trawl for me - and as a result I'd read perhaps 90% of the material in the book. The fact that I enjoyed the book as much as I did is...more
Phil
You look at the cover of this and read the title and it's obvious that this book is aimed at people who want to read about how Apple is just super awesome. Normally I don't think books like this are worth reading because it's, well, boring.

I learned that this book would be worth reading because most of the stories in this book are available on folklore.org and this book is basically a printed and expanded version of those stories.

Fortunately, it doesn't tell the story as "the clouds parted and...more
Emilio
Es curioso constatar la gran habilidad con la que se ha convertido en libro lo que en realidad es una página web. En cualquier caso, las 90 historias cortas que componen este libro te introducen de manera magistral en lo que fue la génesis del Macintosh y por tanto de la informática actual. Sobrecoge ver el paralelismo entre este proceso y lo que vamos conociendo de cómo se gestó el iPhone.
Tim Telcik
Loved this book. It was a most unusual and amazing memoir presented as a group of anecdotes during the development and rollout of the Apple Macintosh computer ... from the inside out.

Given the recent bio on Steve Jobs and related bio on Steve Wozniak and many other related biopics, it was fascinating to read about the project work by the Mac team, how it came into existence and the many minds behind making this computer a real thing which went on to become a legend and foundation for Apple's ea...more
Kevin
Fantastic book, and you don't have to be a Mac or Apple "fanatic" to enjoy it. It is a collection of stories, nearly all by Andy Hertzfeld (but with several by other contributors), that describe the development of the Macintosh, as well as life at Apple Computer in the early '80s.

The unique glimpses of Mac development, of the atmosphere at Apple, and of the people involved are quite interesting and even inspiring. I remember when the Mac came out, and being amazed at its graphic interface. (My...more
Bojan Tunguz
Macintosh computer is the most iconic computer of all time, and probably one of the most significant consumer electronics products ever. The successors of the original Macintosh have remained aspirational products ever since, and Mac fans are oftentimes known for their cult-like admiration for their computers. One name that immediately comes to mind when Mac is mentioned is that of Steve Jobs, Apple cofounder and a mercurial and controversial visionary that has shaped Apple products for the most...more
Sarah Michele
This book is a series of vignettes about the development of the Mac, from the time that it was a wacky research project through the launch and then its eventual folding in with the Lisa team. The book is really a print version of the online archive of Mac development stories that Hertzfeld maintains. This explains the thing that first struck me about the book - it's written in hypertext, as much as a book can be written in hypertext. ;^) There are reference throughout to other vignettes that rea...more
Roberto
Interesting stories on the Apple team that created the Macintosh. Fun read that gives you a glimpse on what working with passion to deliver a quality product was like.
Stephen
Very enjoyable collection of anecdotes by one of the original team that launched the Apple Macintosh. For Mac-aficionados and people interested in the birth of personal computing it's a really interesting read.

Originally written as a bunch of posts on the Mac Folklore website, there are a few bits of repetition which can be a teensy bit irritating when being read straight through. Also, some of the technical detail seemed both too elementary for people who know what's being talked about, but not...more
David
This book gives a great deal of insight into the creation of the original Apple Macintosh computer and into the inner workings of Apple from of the key designers. It also elucidates the best and worst characteristics of Steve Jobs, at least as he was from 1979 - 1985.

The book is somewhat repetitive. It's a collection of anecdotes, not a cohesive, coherent narrative but is still quite revealing. The author often shows himself to have been quite naive, but that makes the book more realistic and be...more
Mohit Manaskant
Never read the actual book but read the articles on folklore.org ( Thankful to my friend Anay who told me about this site.). Initially i was not "interested" in reading the same but i eventually did ( again thanks to Anay) and realize what i was missing. And following the cult known as Steve Jobs it would have been a sin of the highest order if i never read it.

The story of macintosh is not just a story about a team making a product that would change the world forever, it's much much more than th...more
Aaron
The Apple Macintosh revolutionized the personal computing industry. Behind the Macintosh was a top secret group of Apple's best and brightest engineers and designers.

This book is a collection of anecdotes from members Macintosh team. They give insight into the life of a group of engineers whom, under the Steve Jobs dictatorship, worked day and night to make their vision come into reality.

For the nerdy folks, this book has many gooey technical details. For Apple fans, this book blows open Apple...more
Budi Rahardjo
I have not finished reading this book, but I could assure you that this is a beautiful book. As always, Apple-related products, people, or anything really are always elegant!

This book is about Apple Macintosh development according to Andy Hertzfeld, one of the creator. What makes it interesting is that this book is full with inside stories and pictures. Beautiful pictures, I might add. That made me bought the book. It's a must have book for me.

BTW, parts of the book is available in Andy's web si...more
Gregg Koskela
I love Apple. When I found folklore.org, I loved the stories of the early days of creating the mac written by the ones who did it. I got excited when it came out in a book, looking forward to more stories.

Save the money. Skip the book and go to the website. It has it all, which made the book a terrible disappointment.
Richard

Website becomes book. Mac folklore becomes access to a world where the boundaries between work and play temporarily dissolved. If you want a hint of the scent of the experience regarding the days when Silicon Valley was the startup capital of the world…of the days before the technocrats of efficiency triumphed over the artists of innovation…before magic devolved into "just jobs"—read this book…cuz that's as close as you're gonna get if you weren't actually there…

Ed Wagemann
Apr 03, 2012 Ed Wagemann marked it as to-read
The Internet's affect on Mankind:
Jim
Apr 01, 2009 Jim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: tech
Practically everything in this book is available for free at folklore.org, but the stories are so revealing and entertaining that you won't mind. Plus, you get lots of illustrations and photos, along with some sidebars of new quotes and information. Fans of the Macintosh will definitely enjoy this peek behind the curtain. Note that the talk is on the technical side sometimes, which might bore the non-programmers out there.
Mike
Jun 20, 2011 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Really good read. Though I readily admit that some of the computer-specific stuff (detailed bits on programming, memory usage, etc.) were a bit over my head, I really enjoyed the book as a whole.

The book really shined when it focused on basic human aspects: the stress, camaraderie, relationships, deadlines, competitiveness, and problem-solving. This is what I found truly compelling.
Ryan Parman
A series of short stories about the original Macintosh team in the early 1980's. Most of the stories are recalled by Andy Hertzfeld, an engineer on the Macintosh team. A few of the stories are re-told by some of the other people on the team. Fun, entertaining, and imbues a sense of nostalgia despite the fact that I wasn't there.
Ken
This anecdotal account of the Macintosh team and how the Mac was created is, I think, the best book I've read about Apple Computer. Much of Walter Isaacson's book "Steve Jobs" was taken from these first-person accounts. In fact, the best parts of Walter Isaacson's book were taken from "Tevolution in the Valley".
Matt
A collection of short stories told by the people who were actually present during the making of history. One of my favorite types of books! Very well curated by Andy Hertzfeld and meticulously compiled into a great telling of the creation of one of the greatest products of the 20th century.
Erik Granlund
This book offered a great insight into what it was like during the days of the creation of the Macintosh. It is a collection of short stories that each of the different team members on the Macintosh wrote. This should be on the reading list about anyone passionate about computer history.
Max
Funny, inspiring, honest, nostalgic and utterly depressing—because I don't get to be there.

Amazing to think that most of the principles are still alive and even active in the computer industry. If you are reading this, they changed your life tremendously.
Ben Galbraith
If it were less disjointed and more comprehensive, I would give it five stars. As a narrative, it's only worth three, but the high production values of the book bump up its value to four. If you're a fan of the Mac, it's a must-have.
Nicola D'agostino
Recensito su Storie di Apple in "Revolution In The Valley".
Gran parte del materiale testuale è sul sito web Folklore.org che Andy Hertzfeld ha ideato nel 1996.
Arjun
This book is pretty much the same collection as folklore.org, but if you are a mac fan, you'd like to also own the book version. It's always fascinating to read how a motivated team builds magic through the various anecdotes in the book.
David
I feel like I read most of this book on the folklore website. Probably; it's a subject I was very interested in. Revolution in the Valley provides a lot of first hand information about the genesis of the Macintosh.
Ryan
This book was great. It was great to read about the Mac from someone who helped design and build it. The Mac was a revolutionary product and it brought us to what computers are today.
Chris Buchholz
Filled with fun, interesting and inspiring anecdotes that you can read again and again. I keep it front-up on my Kindle to I can read a few if I got bored.
Derek
If you want to know the story of how the Macintosh (and subsequently every computing device you've used in the last 30 years) came to be. Read this book!
  • Fire in the Valley: Making of the Personal Computer
  • Dealers of Lightning: Xerox PARC and the Dawn of the Computer Age
  • On the Edge: The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore
  • Accidental Empires
  • Show Stopper!: The Breakneck Race to Create Windows NT and the Next Generation at Microsoft
  • Insanely Great: The Life and Times of Macintosh, the Computer that Changed Everything
  • Hard Drive: Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire
  • Where Wizards Stay Up Late: The Origins of the Internet
  • The Macintosh Way
  • The PayPal Wars: Battles with eBay, the Media, the Mafia, and the Rest of the Planet Earth
  • Return to the Little Kingdom: Steve Jobs, the Creation of Apple, and How It Changed the World
  • Startup: A Silicon Valley Adventure
  • Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary
  • Masters of Doom: How Two Guys Created an Empire and Transformed Pop Culture
  • Hackers & Painters: Big Ideas from the Computer Age
  • The Soul of a New Machine
  • What the Dormouse Said: How the Sixties Counterculture Shaped the Personal Computer Industry
  • iWoz: Computer Geek to Cult Icon: How I Invented the Personal Computer, Co-Founded Apple, and Had Fun Doing It