Start by marking “The O. Henry Prize Stories 2002” as Want to Read:

The O. Henry Prize Stories 2002

Established early in the last century as a memorial to the great American short story master O. Henry, throughout its history this annual collection has consistently offered a remarkable sampling of contemporary short stories. Each year, stories are chosen from large and small literary magazines, and a panel of distinguished writers is enlisted to make the final selection. ...more
Published August 27th 2002 by Anchor Books

To ask other readers questions about The O. Henry Prize Stories 2002, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The O. Henry Prize Stories 2002

Chris Russell
Apr 10, 2017 Chris Russell rated it really liked it
The O. Henry Prize Stories 2002
Book review. (no spoilers)
The O. Henry award is a yearly literary award given to 20 American short stories of merit. The O. Henry award was first given out in 1918. The award is in memory of the American writer O. Henry.
O. Henry was the pen name of William Sidney Porter, a colorful American character from the turn of the 20th century who was a prolific and well-known writer of short stories.
Each year a group of editors reviews 20 stories from any American or Cana
Lauren
May 28, 2010 Lauren rated it really liked it
The stories ranged from 3.6ish stars to five, so I averaged that out to a four star rating. Interestingly, I think some of the stories may suffer from the context. In other words, had I read them individually, when they appeared in their respective literary journal, I might have thought they were five star pieces, but when housed with other outstanding work, my brain pulled the inevitable compare/contrast trigger.

Que sera, sera.

In the end, this book only increased my already immense respect fo
Jonathan
The two best stories, Munro's and Wallace's, keep working and pulsing off on their own, on a level far away from the touch of prizes. The other stories did what they did once and won a prize for it.
Jacob
Aug 25, 2009 Jacob rated it it was amazing
This year must have been an exceptional one for American short stories.
Anurati
Mar 20, 2017 Anurati rated it liked it
Some great finds here: The Ceiling by Kevin Brockmeier, Do Not Disturb by A.M. Homes and Good Old Neon by David Foster Wallace being my favourites. Rest of the stories read more like scenes or chapters from larger novels - lacking plot structure.
Matt
Dec 18, 2008 Matt rated it liked it
So after my earlier enthusiastic embrace of the series, I went back and dug in, reading the edition from a couple years back and expecting the same weirdly off-the-wall magic. And what did I learn? Maybe that what I really love is the series editor Laura Furman.

This year has a different series editor, Larry Dark, and that's what I ascribe as the reason why the choices in this edition are so tame and boring. Lots of stories from the New Yorker and the NY crowd, which isn't a bad thing, per se, bu
Nicole
Jul 23, 2011 Nicole rated it did not like it
In the interview part of the DVD "Memento", Christopher Nolan mentions that his brother, Jonathan, wrote a short story about the same plot as the movie. So, I went to the library and ordered this book, as it contains Jonathan's story. Well, Jonathan's short story is nearly incomprehensible. Worse, the stories before it are all really weird, with awful characters. I cannot imagine that these were the best of the best that year. I know the thing that puts a lot of people off about short stories is ...more
Roxanne Russell
Jan 22, 2013 Roxanne Russell rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
This collection of short stories was really enjoyable. My grandfather's favorite author was O'Henry, so that was one of the reasons I bought it. I remember liking the bookstore guy who sold it to me in the E terminal of Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport- I was flying home from my 10th year high school reunion.

Some of my favorites:

The Ceiling, Kevin Brockmeier

The Hunter's Wife, Anthony Doerr

Blood Poison, Heidi Jon Schmidt

Good Old Neon, David Foster Wallace

Cindi Blyberg
Aug 20, 2007 Cindi Blyberg rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
the first story in this volume is amazing, but i couldn't finish the rest. read the volume from 1996 or the collection from 1996 titled american voices: best short fiction by contemporary authors instead.(11/02)
kate
Apr 30, 2007 kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: shortstories
i haven't actually read all of the stories in this collection, but the first prize winner, the ceiling by kevin brockmeister, is one of the best short stories i've ever read. it's about the complicated lives we lead...and a giant ceiling.
Adi Alsaid
Dec 15, 2012 Adi Alsaid rated it liked it
A lot of misses in this collection for me. But David Foster Wallace's story was in my opinion the strongest, by far.
Jamie
Sep 04, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
The grand prize story, "The Ceiling," is alone worth the price of admission.
Nic
Jan 31, 2009 Nic rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, shortstories
Do Not Disturb by A.M. Homes. Great story. And of course, it's got Alice Munro. No short story compendium can ever really be complete without her.
Karen Hart
Jan 29, 2013 Karen Hart rated it it was amazing
Awesome reading! This collection is highly entertaining and beautifully inspiring.
Eryn
Dec 27, 2010 Eryn rated it liked it
Favorites:
"The Butcher's Wife" Erdrich, "Do Not Disturb" Holmes, "That Last Odd Day in LA" Beattie, "The Hunter's Wife" Doerr, "Memento Mori" Nolan
Christian
Dec 26, 2007 Christian rated it it was amazing
I love these O. Henry prize winners books. They have always been my favorite. If you love short stories, or have limited time to get engrossed in a book, these are for you!
Tamra
Matthew Miller
Mar 12, 2012 Matthew Miller rated it liked it
Shorts that don't suck.
karen
karen rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2007
Amy Topui
Amy Topui rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Jo
Jo rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2008
profile2
profile2 rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2011
Lyn
Lyn rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2008
Chris Sisto
Chris Sisto rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2009
Kadriye
Kadriye rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Kristyn
Kristyn rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2009
Jordan
Jordan rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2008
Savannah Guz
Savannah Guz rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2008
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2009
Jacquie Lyerly
Jacquie Lyerly rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2010
  • The Best American Short Stories 1998
  • The Best American Short Stories 1992
  • Writing New York: A Literary Anthology
  • The Vintage Book of Contemporary American Short Stories
  • Beacon Best of 2001 (Beacon Anthology)