Start by marking “Merry Un-Christmas” as Want to Read:
Merry Un-Christmas

Merry Un-Christmas

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  36 reviews
The first Un-Christmas classic from the bestselling team of How Murray Saved Christmas.

When Noelle wakes up every morning, she must put her new pony in the backyard with all of her other ponies and her new bike in the garage with all of her other bikes. It is another normal day in Christmas City, where every day is Christmas except for one-the much anticipated but highly u
Published September 26th 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Merry Un-Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merry Un-Christmas

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
233rd out of 678 books — 924 voters
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreBear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma WilsonThe Snowman by Raymond Briggs
Favorite Christmas Picture Books
195th out of 237 books — 93 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for Kids @ TeensReadToo.com

For Noelle, there's one day a year that she looks forward to more than any other. No, it's not Christmas, but Un-Christmas!

For Noelle and her family, who live in Christmas City, Texmas, Un-Christmas is the one and only day when things are as close to normal as they can get. Noelle can go to school (since school is closed on Christmas), the mailman can finally deliver the mail (since the post office is closed on Christmas), and she can watch regular show
Eva Leger
This gives a good look at what I think we've all wished for at one point or another in life - that every day was Christmas. Little Noelle has all the skates, games, and ponies she could ever want. 364 days out of the year are Christmas, with the same activities, the same food, the same everything... and that gets old for Noelle.
Noelle is so excited when un-Christmas Day rolls around and she takes advantage of the day in all it's glory. I liked giving Julia a look at what another child may wish
Samantha
This book was actually very original and I was surprised by how much I was laughing and smirking. At first I thought Noelle was just a spoiled little brat, but the author reassured me that this was not true since Christmas happens 364 days a year. I can understand why she got so bored with Christmas presents and Christmas dinner.

This story is great for an unconventional holiday laugh. =)
Snorkle
I enjoyed this book. The premise was funny and I definitely think children will enjoy seeing Christmas from a different perspective. The illustrations were comical and endearing. The ending was my favorite part. I'd recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Kay Ray
This book was extremely cute. It discussed what its like to have Christmas alllll the time. The pictures were very vibrant and colorful, and the story line was different than most because how often do people get to have Christmas all the time. It was actually funny to see how the the character was actually excited to not have Christmas for one day. I like how things changed up like going to school, and how people do the mail for the day, it was completely different from the norm. This is a great ...more
William Dickerson
This is a fun story that looks at a town where it is Christmas 364 days a year and there is only one day when it isn't Christmas and if you would ever get tired of all the craziness of Christmas.

Check this one out for sure.

www.lockheed40books.com
Dolly
Jan 01, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I'm sure that there are many children who have wistfully sighed and wished that Christmas could be every day. Well, this book shows exactly what would happen were that to come true. The narrative is entertaining and the illustrations are terrific.

We discovered the collaboration between Mike Reiss and David Catrow with the story How Murray Saved Christmas and have been looking for more at our local library since then.
Rachel
I liked it. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Dayna
Such a fun read about a town that celebrates Christmas every day of the year except one day. One day a year the mail man comes, kids go to school, there are TV dinners and other "ordinary day" type activities. Especially fun to read with my 4 year old who thinks it would be great if Christmas was EVERY day!

Side Note: we thought the little girl had a striking resemblance to our favorite little gal in Stand Tall Molly Lou Mellon.
Magpie67
Cute book on how every day is Christmas except one. The magic of Christmas is lost when it's celebrated every day and Noelle loves the one day of the year there is no Christmas the best. Noelle gets to go to school and watch T.V. programs un-Christmas related. The bad thing about the day is when all the bills show up for her father because the mailman only works one day a year. Silly Fun and Trevor enjoyed the story.
Jameisha
I thought this was the cutest little book. The pictures are awesome and the story is too. I like this book because it takes the way we look at Christmas and flips it. Some of the opposites in the book I didn’t think of, like the mail running and going to school, were neat. I think this would be a good book to use for opposites as well as different perspectives. This is a very cute book.
Patricia
In this story it is Christmas 364 days of the year, which makes it a rather typical and boring day. Fortunately for Noelle, on the 16th of August it is Un-Christmas Day. On Un-Christmas Day she gets to go to school and receive mail from the wonderful mail carrier. It is de-lightful.

For those familiar with the Accelerated Reader Program, this is a 3.7 level book.
Tracy
Sep 16, 2008 Tracy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 4-8 year olds
Shelves: childrens, fiction
My son brought this home from his school library and it is hilarious! It's about a girl who lives in Christmas town and it's Christmas 364 days of the year. Every day she gets bikes and ponies and they eat 6 course dinners. So Un-christmas is her favorite day of the year when she can go to school and eat TV dinners. Great jumping off point for a discussion about gratefulness.
Fjóla
Dec 01, 2012 Fjóla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 6 - 8 year olds
An original take on the Christmas story. My 4 year old needed some help understanding the plot. David Catrow's unique illustrations are always fun, in fact we've been going through a pile of his books, I'm so enamored with them.
Kate Hastings
Nov 11, 2007 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades K-5
Shelves: christmas-books
In Christmas city, it's Christmas EVERY day. Santa comes every day. They eat Christmas Dinner EVERY night. The same music plays EVERY day... except for one day a year when it ISN'T Christmas! Noelle and the other kids get to go to school, un-decorate and eat TV dinners in front of the TV. One of my favorite Christmas books!
Connie
They ask for it all the time, in fact, or they did until I got fed up and hid it...!

It is a bit long, though, and at the end of the description of how wonderful un-Christmas is I no longer feel amused but more sad for Noelle.

But the nieces find it funny still, and that's what matters.
Rosalee
Cute story about Christmas town - where every day of the year is Christmas except one day. On the one day people celebrate living a regular life. Makes me think a little more about what emphasis I am placing on Christmas - commercial or spiritual?
Kjartan A.
This was a cool book about a city having Christmas 364 days a year and everyone is so happy when the on un-Christmas day is coming.

I would definitely use this in my classroom around Christmas times, and I think it would work for all ages.
Shiralea Woodhouse
So fun to read with your kids who wish it was Christmas every day of the year! And I love Catrow's illustrations! I love the things the family does to celebrate "un-christmas," it's a good reminder of how wonderful the "ordinary" can be :)
Jennie
May 15, 2009 Jennie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Recommended
Recommended to Jennie by: H.P at CPE
Christmas City has only one day a year that they do not celebrate Christmas. They go to school, take down the tree and ornaments and the postman only comes once a year. 364 days of Christmas, and only one day to relax.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Noelle gets a new doll and a new bike and a pony every day. Every day is Christmas where Noelle lives. Every day except one. The day Noelle looks forward to. Un-Christmas Day. Ages 6-10. 9/10.
Amy
this was a very cute story. it is the whole christmas season in reverse. a great way to let kids know that there can be too much of a good thing.
Amy
Dec 17, 2012 Amy marked it as picture-books-read
A funny concept that my kids loved. See my full review here: http://sunlitpages.blogspot.com/2012/...
JaNeal
Lots of fun and a good reminder that every day has its own special qualities! From a writing standpoint I think it was a fabulous idea.
Cathy
Hilarious! What a clever book for kids. It just turns the whole kids' Christmas experience on its ear. It still makes me laugh.
a good reminder that "special occasions" are special partly because they are out of the "every day" category! :-)
Wendy Jones
In this town it is Christmas everyday, except one day- Un-Christmas day. It is such a cute story!
Briana
Dec 18, 2010 Briana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!! =)
I am in love with this book. The story and illustrations are absolutely wonderful. <3
Alexandria
This book makes me wonder how fun christmas for 364 days a year.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Auntie Claus
  • Llama Llama Holiday Drama
  • Snow Day!
  • Santa Duck
The Boy Who Wouldn't Share The Boy Who Looked Like Lincoln How Murray Saved Christmas Santa Claustrophobia (Picture Puffin Books) Late for School