Start by marking “A Right to Be Merry” as Want to Read:
A Right to Be Merry

A Right to Be Merry

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Can life really be "merry" inside a Poor Clare cloister? This happy book reveals the challenges, cares and joys of that cloistered life from an "insiders" view. The poet's cry, "O world, I cannot hold you close enough!" is the heart's cry of the enclosed contemplative. No one who has not lived in a cloister can fully understand just how intertwined are the lives of cloiste ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by Ignatius Press (first published May 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about A Right to Be Merry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Right to Be Merry

Kathryn
Sep 30, 2015 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Summary: The life of cloistered nuns. Hilarity and thoughtfulness ensues!

Why I Read This: A bunch of the other Sisters were like, "you would love this book!" And I was like, "book, where?" [Imagine the dog from "Up" when he sees a squirrel.]

Review: Ok, this book is the best. I'm not in a cloistered order (we leave the house and stuff), but I think that this book perfectly encapsulates the life of women religious everywhere. It's at times hilarious (oh, postulants and your foibles), sentimental,
Katharine Bond
Apr 21, 2014 Katharine Bond rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic
I thought this book was a great spiritually uplifting read. Sr. Mary Francis is good at radiating purity and warmth without becoming preachy. Every young Catholic woman should read it at least once, because it is a very intimate, honest look at what the life of a cloistered nun is like. No benefit or sacrifice is allowed to go undisclosed, and the reader is left with an inner peace that comes with a better understanding of the spiritual life. After all, the lessons found in this story can be app ...more
Christine
Apr 10, 2007 Christine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any closet nun gazer... you know who you are!
Ever wanted to know what it means to be a cloistered nun? This book will give you the skinny. It's the classic "nun" book and people have been reading it steadily since it's original publication in back in the 50's. Ignatius Press recently reprinted it saving us all from haunting eBay and hoping to get a copy for under $50 so what are you waiting for?

It followes the daily lives of the Poor Clare nuns as they found their Roswell convent. The Poor Clares Colettine are one of the strictest cloiste
Suzanne
Oct 14, 2009 Suzanne rated it really liked it
This book shatters many of the myths and preconceived ideas of what life is like as a cloistered nun, specifically The Poor Clares. I found this book to be fascinating as it gives us a peek into life in the monastary and into the everyday lives of the nuns who live a life of enclosure. I am privileged to live just a few blocks from this monastary in Roswell and have been there many times to pray in their chapel (sometimes I get to hear the nuns singing). I am not Catholic but I learned much from ...more
Christine
Sep 03, 2014 Christine rated it it was amazing
Back in print after many years, another must read vocation story. The Poor Clares Colettines are one of the few orders that has continued to grow by leaps and bounds over the last 50 years, founding new communities all over the country and when you read this book you'll see why. It is the story of the founding of their Roswell community in the 30s ( I believe).

If you have ever wondered what the life of a cloistered nun is like and what it means this is the book to read.
Willa Grant
Jan 05, 2009 Willa Grant rated it it was amazing
I truly loved this book- the author is certainly of her time but brings across her absolute joy in serving as one of Gods brides. The life of a Poor Clare nun is tough but from this author's viewpoint it is rich & wonderful beyond anything ordinary life can offer. I felt happy & spiritually strengthened after reading this book.
Shannon
Dec 02, 2007 Shannon rated it it was amazing
This is written by an actual cloistered nun who is a Poor Clare. It is a beautiful book that gives insight into the daily life of the order--in all of its humanity, as well as its prayerfulness. Beautifully written like a novel, it doesn't feel at all like a documentary.
Feb 10, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholica
A beautifully written look into the life and philosophy of the Poor Clares, but also greatly beneficial for anyone who wishes to grow in holiness and become closer to God. Mother Mary Francis has a true gift with words.
Julie
Jan 02, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing
Do you think Religious life is horrible? Read this! I laughed, I cried - it is romantic, adventurous and amazing! the sister was an english major before she entered the cloistered convent of the Poor Clares. A great writer!
Rosalba
Dec 12, 2011 Rosalba rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
It is a beautiful, charming book to open our eyes to the beauty of Catholicism and being the bride of Christ, which some people believe is torture, but which is really a life of heaven on earth.
Hk
Dec 14, 2011 Hk rated it liked it
I'm not religious, but this book creates such a peaceful image I considered becoming a cloistered nun at times. It's not a particularly exciting book, but her joy leaks through every page.
Debbie
Jan 22, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
I enjoyed reading this book, which emanates the joy the author has in her religious vocation as a Poor Clare.
Apr 05, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
It's wonderful to know how hard and devote a sister must be
Shannon
Nov 01, 2011 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Awesome for all ages!
Emily marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Hannah Slaven
Hannah Slaven marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Monica
Monica is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2016
Anne
Anne added it
Apr 10, 2016
Genevieve
Genevieve marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Sarah Marie
Sarah Marie rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Glenna
Glenna rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Megan
Megan is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2016
Jess Leach
Jess Leach rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Kelly Cargo
Kelly Cargo rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
Jenni
Jenni rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Jay Groft
Jay Groft rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Dorothy Hanson
Dorothy Hanson rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Patrick Carpenter
Patrick Carpenter marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016