Start by marking “Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica, #1)

Dreaming the Eagle (Boudica #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  2,693 Ratings  ·  216 Reviews
Dreaming the Eagle is the first part of the gloriously imagined epic trilogy of the life of Boudica.
Boudica means Bringer of Victory (from the early Celtic word "boudeg"). She is the last defender of the Celtic culture in Britain; the only woman openly to lead her warriors into battle and to stand successfully against the might of Imperial Rome--and triumph.
It is 33 AD a
Published November 30th 2002 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about Dreaming the Eagle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dreaming the Eagle

Neula
Pretty awful.

Feminist, spiritual 'in tune with mother nature' noble savages vs. corrupted, morally paedophilic Romans. Like 'Avatar' without the pretty.

Overly contrived and obvious plot devices, no real sense of character - characters only described by hair and eye colour, or she tells us 'they had an ironic sense of humour' without it being evident.

Some beautiful descriptive writing but in the end I simply didn't care if anyone lived or died, I positively hoped the Romans would come and buil
Jackie
One of my favorite series. Based on Boudica, the Warrior Queen of the Celts, a historical figure dating to the first century. She united the scattered tribes of Britian and fought to drive back the Roman invaders who threatened their way of life and their very existence.
Not much is known about her life and this is a novel examining how her life may have been.
Filled with historical figures as well as fictional characters, it is an entralling read.
I love Celtic themes and have found Boudica an in
Deborah Pickstone
Well, I loved it. Don't at all get some of the negative reviews (feminist? huh? ...paedophilia???)

I was surprised, actually - I have had so many duds recently and now I can luxuriously look forward to 3 more volumes :)

The story is followed, as far as it is known, in terms of history - the known facts are scant. And, oh joy! - there is an actual Bibliography!

Manda Scott is a storyteller, indeed. A Singer, perhaps?

December 2016 A re-read. More delighted than before. The damage to Bán's psyche by t
Þorrbjórn
I'm going to commit what may seem like a cardinal sin here and review the book before having read it all though for good reason.

If you're someone who enjoys historical fiction that gets going within four or five chapters, ramping up either the action, intrigue, character development or such like in that time, avoid this book. So little happens in the first half dozen chapters that it feels like far more like a vacuum than a book that's actually going anywhere.

The opening chunk of this book is so
Terri
I really liked this book.
In fact, I think I may have even hugged it for a while after finishing it. Actually, that sounds weird, so forget I just said that.

Manda Scott is a very talented historical fiction writer. She does it well and should do it often.

There are only two things that I didn't like about this book and the other books in this series (although I have only read 2 and a half of them so far). One thing I don't like is Scott's excessively lateral way of thinking when it comes to spirit
Ronda  Tutt
May 22, 2013 Ronda Tutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, historical
Intense & Amazing Story!

Wow what an intense and graphically defined journey into the life of a Celtic Queen called Boudica. Her real name is Breaca but later becomes known as Boudica - She who brings Victory. This is the first installment that dives into a moment of life when young Breaca (Boudica)'s tribe (Eceni) is attacked and she makes her first kill by pure luck but at the same time experiences the loss of her mother from the same attack.

The story totally captivated me from beginning t
Bryn Hammond
Sep 06, 2013 Bryn Hammond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: imagined-fiction
Pulpy around the edges so that I feel indulgent, but few books lose me in themselves like this, why not five stars? I have been gobbled up by this book. Not the other way around.

Too much action-oriented hf bores me to tears and a Manda Scott is rare, who involves me, who even describes a fight with true excitement, not those tedious literal battles. The likes of Bernard Cornwell never made my heart race but Manda Scott knows how to.

The first thing that jumps out is that there is a world behind
Sotiris Karaiskos
Η ιστορία της Μπούντικα μου έκανε πάντα μεγάλη εντύπωση οπότε μοιραία κατέληξα σε αυτή τη σειρά. Καταλαβαίνω βέβαια πως καθώς πρόκειται για μία ολόκληρη τετραλογία είναι νωρίς για συμπεράσματα, αυτό το πρώτο βιβλίο όμως μπορώ να πω ότι μου αφήνει μάλλον ανάμεικτες εντυπώσεις. Είναι δεδομένο ότι αυτά που γνωρίζουμε για αυτήν είναι ελάχιστα, όπως και όσα γνωρίζουμε για την κοινωνία που ζούσε, οπότε προφανώς υπάρχει ένα μεγάλο κενό που κάθε συγγραφέας πρέπει να καλύψει με τη φαντασία του και με όσα ...more
Seana James
May 29, 2012 Seana James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book and awesome series. I'm really surprised that it hasn't gotten more notice particularly for its historical accuracy and its rousing battle scenes and human drama. Boudica, that old Roman-lover's bogie, has been transformed into a real hero reflective of her time and her culture. Making her first kill defending her mother, Breaca (as she is named then) is thrust into the adult world, like many heroes, before she is done growing, but her people's need is great and her destiny is appro ...more
Donna
May 28, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book-and the foundation for the saga that comes next. It is historically extensive and creatively written. By the time I was finished I couldn't wait to get to the next one, in my case basically because characterization is VERY important in a great series of books. I already cared about the characters-some of them animals-refreshing and new to me. Obviously, Scott's experiences and knowledge as a veterinarian-not to mention extensive research-add a whole new dimension to her ...more
H.
Oct 18, 2010 H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, lore, memoir
Weaving together biography and the spirit of the fantasy genre, Scott presents one of the best pieces of historical fiction I have read. This felt like a work of love and mighty ambition, scripting the sparse record and passionately created storyline of Boudica around vivid characters and historical fact. The events of the story match up pretty well with what I know of Roman history in the first century AD, and this is impressive considering how the wave of fictional elements builds up in perfec ...more
Christina
It was the winter of 2015. On a long run of only reading non-fiction and listening to YA fantasy, I felt the urge to read something oddly specific: fiction on Europe before the Romans. I dedicated an hour to searching forums and sites that hadn't been updated since 2005, and I found "Dreaming the Eagle." The author was Manda Scott, who I had never heard of before. After reading pages of reviews, I felt like this book was going to complete my life.

Sometimes I have stupid feelings.

I have rarely be
Graham Crawford
May 11, 2013 Graham Crawford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am enjoying this series more than the "Rome" series. The style seems a bit more literary- Not quite a Hilary Mantel, but certainly in Mary Stewart's league.

The Boudica series justifiably deserves all the accolades it's won. I'm very impressed by the level of detail in the research. All too often in these sorts of novels we get descriptions of political machinations but little description of everyday life. This book covers all comprehensively but without feeling like an infodump. I always enjo
Trevor
Dec 09, 2012 Trevor rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a HUGE disappointment.

This story takes forever to get even remotely interesting and I found I had to force myself to keep reading until the end of chapters. The majority of the characters have completely age-inappropriate emotions and relationships and the events in their lives are incredibly unrealistic. The book has pedophiliac undertones and describes the majority of Romans as maniacal Homosexuals.

A story that was described as a tale of a Celtic warrior with epic battles turned
Jane
I enjoyed the historical fiction aspect but sometimes the novel seemed too 'New Age' for my taste. These Britons reminded me of Native Americans, because of their visions, guardian animals or birds, and 'kill feathers.' They also reminded me of Native Americans, in that their country was overwhelmed by a militarily superior force. I have a different conception of Boudica in my mind because of other reading; she was not believable. I enjoyed more the story of her brother, Bán. I'd find myself ski ...more
Muslimah
Jul 27, 2011 Muslimah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Apparently this is a historical fiction but after reading it I think that more emphasis was placed on the fiction. I'm used to reading young adult lit which typically has a larger font making a larger book read very quickly. This book is over 400 pages of smaller font. It takes longer than I'm used to get through a page making this feel like a long read. I think that overall the characters were well developed, but there were some times when the timeline did not work well for me. The book is sect ...more
Thea
Dec 31, 2012 Thea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Although I really enjoy books about Britain and their battles to free themselves from ancient Rome's rule, this book was very hard to get into and I did not enjoy it. I echo the sentiments of one reviewer:

"Pretty awful.

Estelle
Mar 01, 2013 Estelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before "Brave", there was "Boudica".
This book might not be for everyone but I quite loved it. I've always enjoy reading Historical fiction and "Boudica" was a great addition focusing on a strong female figure.
Gretchen
2.5 stars. This book just wasn't for me. If I had not been promised Boudica, I probably would have given up after about 150 pages. I don't need non-stop action to keep my interest but I need something. To me, there just wasn't a whole lot going on in this book.
Claire
Oct 14, 2013 Claire rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
There are an awful lot of unnecessarily hyphenated words in this book.
Morgan Dhu
Dreaming the Eagle is the first of Manda Scott's historical fantasy quartet based on the life of Boudica, leader of the Iceni - one of several British tribes that rebelled against Rome in the early years after the Claudian conquest.

Very little is known about Boudica, or indeed about any of the inhabitants of Britain prior to the Roman conquest, and most of what is known, come to us through the eyes of the victorious Romans, who looked at the British tribes and saw barbarians. Thus the writer wh
Feb 15, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adult/historical
I don't know much about this era of my history (embarrassed cough), and I am glad I read this book, although the author does point out it is fiction. As a novice for this era, I am not sure how much of the detail is made up (all the spirit animals, and dead animals as clothes accessories for instance).

I found the book fairly engaging. My main criticism is that it seemed to jump around quite a bit, and you would find yourself 3 years later, with quite a lot having happened in between times, but
Elaine
Aug 29, 2010 Elaine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too much "fluff" in the first 100 pages! Then the story got better.
Facts relating to this book.

Boudicca was a British Celtic warrior queen who led a revolt against Roman occupation ... An excerpt from The Annals by Tacitus, written 109 C.E., detailing the story of the rebellion of Celtic tribes in Britain against the Romans, led by the warrior queen Boudicca who died 61AD. At this time Ireland was known as Hibernia.

Boudicca's story was nearly forgotten until Tacitus' work, Annals, was rediscove
Claude
Nov 16, 2013 Claude rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I am huge fan of historical fiction and of fantasy but what I've really been looking for is a book that combines the two; a historical fiction with fantsy elements.
When I read the back of this book I thought this was it so I bought all three in the series from the local library, man was I disapointed!
It's not just the fact that this book is unsure whether or not it wants to have fantasy elements in it, it's not just the weird implied gay sex scene that comes out of nowhere, but it's also the
Oct 04, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really loved this book. My mom's friend lent it to her and I ended up picking it up after she was done with it. I thought I was getting into a historical fiction and was surprised to find so many of my favorite fantasy elements in place as well. Boudica, real person, Romans conquering every civilization that can sink they're swords into, real events, but then there are the visions, and energy of the gods and tons of subtle mystical events. Also, the writing style is wonderfully detailed. The o ...more
Samantha
Dec 12, 2010 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, Love ,LOVE this series. I cried right along with the characters.I think the story Manda Scott tells here will be carried with me in my spirit journeys as well as my day to day life. Excellent read!
Teghan
I really wanted to like this book. I adore Boudica as a historical figure and I love reading historical fiction. I just couldn't get into this one. It was just weird. And a bit incestuous. I read about 1/4 of it, which is saying a lot because the text is really small, before I decided to give up.
Leslie
Dec 01, 2013 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Considering the fact that little is known of Britain in the first century BCE, Manda Scott wrote an excellent story, full of believable people and happenings. Looking forward to book 2 of the series.
Liz
I learned a lot about horses from this book. I'm not sure if that was the authors intent.
Mark
An enthralling read for anyone who likes historical novels.
  • The Eagle and the Raven
  • Rome: The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1)
  • The Greener Shore: A Novel of the Druids of Hibernia
  • Warrior Queen: The Story of Boudica: Celtic Queen
  • The White Mare (Dalriada, #1)
  • The Light Bearer
  • Pride of Carthage
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • Confessions of a Pagan Nun
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • A Bloody Field by Shrewsbury
  • Hero of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #1)
  • The Whale Road (Oathsworn, #1)
  • The Skystone (Camulod Chronicles, #1)
  • Eagle in the Snow
Novelist, columnist and broadcaster MC Scott (aka Manda Scott) trained as a veterinary surgeon in Glasgow and worked at the Universities of Cambridge and Dublin, specialising in anaesthesia. A brief three year stint as a Director of the computer games company, Frontier Developments (Elite, Frontier First Encounter, Wallace and Gromit; Elite: Dangerous) bridged the gap from veterinary medicine to w ...more
More about Manda Scott...

Boudica (4 books)
  • Dreaming the Bull (Boudica, #2)
  • Dreaming the Hound (Boudica, #3)
  • Dreaming the Serpent Spear (Boudica, #4)